Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Mario to Miami confirmed

Comments

• Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,217
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

RTD said:

Im a little torn on the pending Oregon HC / staff transition. Crystalball is clearly a great recruiter, I’m mean look at the guys names. Wish he would stay forever because his coaching chops are perfectly mediocre. Gonna miss this guy too…

Interim bowl coach. He gets ejected by halftime for sideline violations

• Options
    MelloDawgMelloDawg Member Posts: 6,148
    Gladstone said:

Good lord. Cristobal toiled under the GOAT Saban for five years (OL, AHC/OL, then co-OC/OL) learning the ropes before returning to a HC role. He didn't go from FIU direct to Oregon. Mach 5 into steel wall levels of dumb doog takes in this thread.

Dumb doog takes at Mach 5 can melt steel beams.
  • Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,586
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

Beno4Life said:

46XiJCAB said:

Swaye said:

chuck said:

Gladstone said:

OreDawg said:

Justin Wilcox might be their best realistic option at this point.

Recruiting will take a step back to Chris Petersen at UW range but this is ultimately an upgrade imo.
    The defense at Oregon under Wilcox will be improved but until proven otherwise I think Wiclox has offense AIDS. He just spreads it to whomever coaches offense under him. Baldwin was on an upward arc until he met Wilcox. Musgrave was an uninspired choice but even he is under what he produced at Virginia. This was the main reason I was wary of the Wilcox superior culture coming to UW. I just can’t handle any more bad offense.

My fear is that Wilcox, as an alum, could end up the type who's there for 20 years.
    Yes, as a Junction City kid and UO alum, he probably seems appealing from a "we're a stepping stone school" perspective

OreDawg said:

Recruiting will take a step back to Chris Petersen at UW range but this is ultimately an upgrade imo.
    The defense at Oregon under Wilcox will be improved but until proven otherwise I think Wiclox has offense AIDS. He just spreads it to whomever coaches offense under him. Baldwin was on an upward arc until he met Wilcox. Musgrave was an uninspired choice but even he is under what he produced at Virginia. This was the main reason I was wary of the Wilcox superior culture coming to UW. I just can’t handle any more bad offense.

It might not be lightning in a bottle right away but he's going to bring stability and might be less about the glitzy glamorous Oregon hype machine.
    This is a bunch of platitude nonsense that doesn't mean anything. Bringing "stability" means nothing unless you're a good coach. This is one of those buzzwords on Twitter people throw out to try and sound smart. What does 'might be less about the glitzy glamorous Oregon hype machine' mean? How do you qualify this? Gibberish.

OreDawg said:

Oregon has a culture problem imo and Wilcox could very well be the type to fix it, or at least add a little substance to their charade.

What does this mean? Culture problem of good recruiting? Hiring good coaches? What substance to what charade? This entire post feels like it was written by a ML algorithm that doesn't quite understand the training data yet

OreDawg said:

He will have the tools to do it. I could see him becoming Oregon's Whittingham. Not saying this will for sure happen by any means but I think it's a decent possibility that he's exactly what Oregon needs.
    Can you name literally any metric outside of "has ties to the physical area" that says Wilcox could be their Whittingham? Literally every sentence you typed is brutal wharrgarble nonsense.

Glad to see that my dog isn't the only one dumb enough to try fighting high volume sprinklers. There's also the one pictured, and @CallMeBigErn
    I prefer revolving door Oregon coaching. In fact, I love it. You don't see it that way and that's cool, Chuck. That's cool.
    You were just stating that hiring Wilcox would bring 20 years of stability to Oregon.
    Bro, did you read the context? I'm saying there's a part of me that thinks that he could be the type to do so. Not saying he will ffs. I don't consider my opinion to be fact unlike some here. I'm raising the point that he could be good for Oregon as devil's advocate. Chill.
    He actually could be. I don't think it's a high probability, but I see your main point. I mean there are mega resources there, and if he could luck into or find a really quality innovative offensive mind he could maybe do some damage there. I'd have hated him at UW, but there is a different dynamic there.

The one thing that would worry me as a Duck fan (and you alluded to this arguing the other way though) is his "stable" (read that as boring) type mentality. Oregon has always been loud, garish and new money rich. It's a huge part of their persona. That is not Wilcox. So I appreciate you thinking he might "fix" that in a sense, but I think fixing it would break them. It's a 2nd tier school in a shithole town. What makes them get top 10 recruiting classes is the new money swagger.

Just my thoughts. On balance, I hope like fuck UO hires Wilcocks because I think there is a 10% chance or less he kills it. But there is a chance.
    He’s Mario 2.0 w/o the recruiting. Absolute wrong choice which is why Mullins will hire him.
    Nike and PK recruits for Oregon. Who ever they get will recruit fine. The notion that MC is such an outstanding recruiter is a myth. I could recruit to Oregon just as well. Money talks.
    It’s been pretty well documented by recruits, recruits’ parents (ie Hugh Breed Love Millen), and former staffers (ie Cooper Petagna) that Cristo cares more about recruiting than anything else and implores his staff to recruit like it’s the SEC.

So yeah, combined that effort and acumen with PK money and you have top-10 classes.
    My point is Oregon’s floor with a dope like Helfrich is higher that UW’s ceiling as demonstrated by Petersen
    Wanna pull up the NFL draft charts for those years?
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

Beno4Life said:

46XiJCAB said:

Swaye said:

chuck said:

Gladstone said:

OreDawg said:

My fear is that Wilcox, as an alum, could end up the type who's there for 20 years.
    Yes, as a Junction City kid and UO alum, he probably seems appealing from a "we're a stepping stone school" perspective

OreDawg said:

It might not be lightning in a bottle right away but he's going to bring stability and might be less about the glitzy glamorous Oregon hype machine.
    This is a bunch of platitude nonsense that doesn't mean anything. Bringing "stability" means nothing unless you're a good coach. This is one of those buzzwords on Twitter people throw out to try and sound smart. What does 'might be less about the glitzy glamorous Oregon hype machine' mean? How do you qualify this? Gibberish.

OreDawg said:

Oregon has a culture problem imo and Wilcox could very well be the type to fix it, or at least add a little substance to their charade.

What does this mean? Culture problem of good recruiting? Hiring good coaches? What substance to what charade? This entire post feels like it was written by a ML algorithm that doesn't quite understand the training data yet

OreDawg said:

He will have the tools to do it. I could see him becoming Oregon's Whittingham. Not saying this will for sure happen by any means but I think it's a decent possibility that he's exactly what Oregon needs.
    Can you name literally any metric outside of "has ties to the physical area" that says Wilcox could be their Whittingham? Literally every sentence you typed is brutal wharrgarble nonsense.

Glad to see that my dog isn't the only one dumb enough to try fighting high volume sprinklers. There's also the one pictured, and @CallMeBigErn
    I prefer revolving door Oregon coaching. In fact, I love it. You don't see it that way and that's cool, Chuck. That's cool.
    You were just stating that hiring Wilcox would bring 20 years of stability to Oregon.
    Bro, did you read the context? I'm saying there's a part of me that thinks that he could be the type to do so. Not saying he will ffs. I don't consider my opinion to be fact unlike some here. I'm raising the point that he could be good for Oregon as devil's advocate. Chill.
    He actually could be. I don't think it's a high probability, but I see your main point. I mean there are mega resources there, and if he could luck into or find a really quality innovative offensive mind he could maybe do some damage there. I'd have hated him at UW, but there is a different dynamic there.

The one thing that would worry me as a Duck fan (and you alluded to this arguing the other way though) is his "stable" (read that as boring) type mentality. Oregon has always been loud, garish and new money rich. It's a huge part of their persona. That is not Wilcox. So I appreciate you thinking he might "fix" that in a sense, but I think fixing it would break them. It's a 2nd tier school in a shithole town. What makes them get top 10 recruiting classes is the new money swagger.

Just my thoughts. On balance, I hope like fuck UO hires Wilcocks because I think there is a 10% chance or less he kills it. But there is a chance.
    He’s Mario 2.0 w/o the recruiting. Absolute wrong choice which is why Mullins will hire him.
    Nike and PK recruits for Oregon. Who ever they get will recruit fine. The notion that MC is such an outstanding recruiter is a myth. I could recruit to Oregon just as well. Money talks.
    It’s been pretty well documented by recruits, recruits’ parents (ie Hugh Breed Love Millen), and former staffers (ie Cooper Petagna) that Cristo cares more about recruiting than anything else and implores his staff to recruit like it’s the SEC.

So yeah, combined that effort and acumen with PK money and you have top-10 classes.
    My point is Oregon’s floor with a dope like Helfrich is higher that UW’s ceiling as demonstrated by Petersen
    You're taking his worst classes and calling them his ceiling.

They wasn't close to UW's ceiling, Pete proceeded to produce significantly better classes the very next season.

But I'm sure that's because Helfrich was gone.
  • Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dnc said:

Beno4Life said:

46XiJCAB said:

Swaye said:

chuck said:

Gladstone said:

OreDawg said:

OreDawg said:

OreDawg said:

OreDawg said:

You're taking his worst classes and calling them his ceiling.

They wasn't close to UW's ceiling, Pete proceeded to produce significantly better classes the very next season.

But I'm sure that's because Helfrich was gone.
    Helfrich out recruited Petersen head to head for 3 years. Simple fact.
  • Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,586
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

Beno4Life said:

46XiJCAB said:

Swaye said:

chuck said:

Gladstone said:

OreDawg said:

OreDawg said:

OreDawg said:

OreDawg said:

NOGAF about the NFL.
    Direct reflection of how those Oregon 4-stars didn't perform.
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,638
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Beno4Life said:

46XiJCAB said:

Swaye said:

chuck said:

Gladstone said:

OreDawg said:

OreDawg said:

OreDawg said:

OreDawg said:

NOGAF about the NFL.
    His point isn't about the NFL. The best players go play there. Petersen sent more players to the NFL than Helf because he had better players...because he recruited better players.

Simple fact.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Beno4Life said:

46XiJCAB said:

Swaye said:

chuck said:

Gladstone said:

OreDawg said:

OreDawg said:

OreDawg said:

OreDawg said:

NOGAF about the NFL.
    That’s a function of coaching. Not recruiting. No one disputes Helfrich was a shitty coach.

The point here, for you dumb asses who can’t follow along, isn’t that Helfrich is a better recruiter than Petersen, it’s a discussion that Oregon recruits itself to a large extent because of Phil Knight/Nike. Cristobal did better than Helfrich because he’s better than Helfrich, but he gets to start on 2nd base Petersen didn’t blow the doors off a dumbshit like Helfrich because again, Helfrich starts on 2nd base.

The NFL shit is stupid. Petersen is a better coach and had better assistants. If Helfrich and Peterson have similar talent to work,with, of course Petersen is going to have better results.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    chuck said:

Beno4Life said:

46XiJCAB said:

Swaye said:

chuck said:

Gladstone said:

OreDawg said:

OreDawg said:

OreDawg said:

OreDawg said:

NOGAF about the NFL.
    His point isn't about the NFL. The best players go play there. Petersen sent more players to the NFL than Helf because he had better players...because he recruited better players.

Simple fact.
    No. He developed them better. Simple fact. Unless you’re going the RANKINGS DON’T MATTER! route. Which is FS.
  • Options
    MikeSeaverMikeSeaver Member Posts: 4,405
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Absolute scenes on here.

Doogman 2.forever
  • Options

Beno4Life said:

46XiJCAB said:

Swaye said:

chuck said:

Gladstone said:

OreDawg said:

OreDawg said:

OreDawg said:

OreDawg said:

NOGAF about the NFL.
    That’s a function of coaching. Not recruiting. No one disputes Helfrich was a shitty coach.

The point here, for you dumb asses who can’t follow along, isn’t that Helfrich is a better recruiter than Petersen, it’s a discussion that Oregon recruits itself to a large extent because of Phil Knight/Nike. Cristobal did better than Helfrich because he’s better than Helfrich, but he gets to start on 2nd base Petersen didn’t blow the doors off a dumbshit like Helfrich because again, Helfrich starts on 2nd base.

The NFL shit is stupid. Petersen is a better coach and had better assistants. If Helfrich and Peterson have similar talent to work,with, of course Petersen is going to have better results.
    Damone tearing everyone apart. It’s in Husky DNA to not acknowledge the truth so no surprise there.
  • Options
    CallMeBigErnCallMeBigErn Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,393
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Founders Club
    chuck said:

chuck said:

chuck said:

There must be at least 80 coaches out there, who are attainable for Oregon, who have more to show on their resume than Justin Wilcox. The only reason he is even mentioned for new or upcoming vacancies is because he has connections to the schools in question and because when it comes right down to it, ADs and even fans are so cowardly about trying someone new that they're more comfortable rationalizing "safe" mediocrity in their hires. When it came right down to it the majority of UW fans here even started to turn that way before the AD somehow stumbled into making the bold, correct choice.

The unwillingness to branch out reminds me of incest. I'm not sure if that nerdy chick is actually smoking hot or not, so I'm just going to screw my cousin who I already know is back to a solid 5 after her third kid.

Who is attainable? All the big fish have been caught. I can't believe I'm debating who Oregon should hire. I just want whoever is going to fail miserably. I want another Taggart.
    I'd start by filtering my list down to coaches with winning records at the FBS or at least FCS level.
    Yes, Wilcox doesn't have an outstanding HC record. Neither did Cristobal. There's a lot of factors as to why coaches don't succeed in certain places but do in others.

It's Cal.
    If you're right, and he's substantially better than the record he has put up so far, then he's going to have to prove it. He'll have to take a sister of the poor program to significant heights. Bruce Snyder did it at Cal. Jeff Tedford did it at Cal. It can be done at Cal unless you're saying the school is more hostile to winning football now than it was then.

If not then he's going to have to find a different gig at a similar or lower tier and do something he hasn't done yet...win. Then he'll be a sensible consideration for upper echelon football programs. Right now he'd be a humiliating acceptance of mediocrity, a surrender, for any power five team with aspirations of championship football. That included UW and it sure as hell includes Oregon.
    That's fair. I'm not saying they SHOULD hire Wilcox because he's proven to be a great coach or something. Don't twist. I'm saying I think he's a better coach than some here think and would not be surprised in the slightest if he was successful at O. The situation is 10x better than Cal. I think Oregon could do worse and I hope they do.

Tedford did well with transfers. It's not Transfer U anymore as far as I'm aware. If we think the UW administration is bad...
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    haie said:

haie said:

Oregon is really going to finish 10-4 😂

2018 huskies without the conference title.
    Or the Rose Bowl humiliation.
    two mountain west humiliations.
    Us losing you Utah and you hiring the Fresno guy?
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,638
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

chuck said:

Beno4Life said:

46XiJCAB said:

Swaye said:

chuck said:

Gladstone said:

OreDawg said:

OreDawg said:

OreDawg said:

OreDawg said:

NOGAF about the NFL.

Simple fact.
    No. He developed them better. Simple fact. Unless you’re going the RANKINGS DON’T MATTER! route. Which is FS.
    The rankings don't really matter when you only give them a cursory glance. They were rated slightly higher. The ranking difference is insignificant.

I sure as hell don't value rankings over actual performance. You're just reaching into the bag of doogish excuses to try supporting your point. Petersen's players were better, therefore he recruited better. When you're not a top 5 recruiting program, eval matters way more than rankings do. Petersen evaluated better and recruited better. Simple. You can argue otherwise but you can't support it with anything other than your customary cuntiness.
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,564
    Swaye's Wigwam

haie said:

haie said:

Oregon is really going to finish 10-4 😂

2018 huskies without the conference title.
    Or the Rose Bowl humiliation.
    two mountain west humiliations.
    Us losing you Utah and you hiring the Fresno guy?
    Cringey, even for you.