Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Mario to Miami confirmed

Comments

• Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,724
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

chuck said:

There must be at least 80 coaches out there, who are attainable for Oregon, who have more to show on their resume than Justin Wilcox. The only reason he is even mentioned for new or upcoming vacancies is because he has connections to the schools in question and because when it comes right down to it, ADs and even fans are so cowardly about trying someone new that they're more comfortable rationalizing "safe" mediocrity in their hires. When it came right down to it the majority of UW fans here even started to turn that way before the AD somehow stumbled into making the bold, correct choice.

The unwillingness to branch out reminds me of incest. I'm not sure if that nerdy chick is actually smoking hot or not, so I'm just going to screw my cousin who I already know is back to a solid 5 after her third kid.

Who is attainable? All the big fish have been caught. I can't believe I'm debating who Oregon should hire. I just want whoever is going to fail miserably. I want another Taggart.
    I'd start by filtering my list down to coaches with winning records at the FBS or at least FCS level.
  • Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dnc said:

46XiJCAB said:

Swaye said:

chuck said:

Gladstone said:

OreDawg said:

Justin Wilcox might be their best realistic option at this point.

Recruiting will take a step back to Chris Petersen at UW range but this is ultimately an upgrade imo.
    The defense at Oregon under Wilcox will be improved but until proven otherwise I think Wiclox has offense AIDS. He just spreads it to whomever coaches offense under him. Baldwin was on an upward arc until he met Wilcox. Musgrave was an uninspired choice but even he is under what he produced at Virginia. This was the main reason I was wary of the Wilcox superior culture coming to UW. I just can’t handle any more bad offense.

My fear is that Wilcox, as an alum, could end up the type who's there for 20 years.
    Yes, as a Junction City kid and UO alum, he probably seems appealing from a "we're a stepping stone school" perspective

OreDawg said:

Recruiting will take a step back to Chris Petersen at UW range but this is ultimately an upgrade imo.
    The defense at Oregon under Wilcox will be improved but until proven otherwise I think Wiclox has offense AIDS. He just spreads it to whomever coaches offense under him. Baldwin was on an upward arc until he met Wilcox. Musgrave was an uninspired choice but even he is under what he produced at Virginia. This was the main reason I was wary of the Wilcox superior culture coming to UW. I just can’t handle any more bad offense.

It might not be lightning in a bottle right away but he's going to bring stability and might be less about the glitzy glamorous Oregon hype machine.
    This is a bunch of platitude nonsense that doesn't mean anything. Bringing "stability" means nothing unless you're a good coach. This is one of those buzzwords on Twitter people throw out to try and sound smart. What does 'might be less about the glitzy glamorous Oregon hype machine' mean? How do you qualify this? Gibberish.

OreDawg said:

Oregon has a culture problem imo and Wilcox could very well be the type to fix it, or at least add a little substance to their charade.

What does this mean? Culture problem of good recruiting? Hiring good coaches? What substance to what charade? This entire post feels like it was written by a ML algorithm that doesn't quite understand the training data yet

OreDawg said:

He will have the tools to do it. I could see him becoming Oregon's Whittingham. Not saying this will for sure happen by any means but I think it's a decent possibility that he's exactly what Oregon needs.
    Can you name literally any metric outside of "has ties to the physical area" that says Wilcox could be their Whittingham? Literally every sentence you typed is brutal wharrgarble nonsense.

Glad to see that my dog isn't the only one dumb enough to try fighting high volume sprinklers. There's also the one pictured, and @CallMeBigErn
    I prefer revolving door Oregon coaching. In fact, I love it. You don't see it that way and that's cool, Chuck. That's cool.
    You were just stating that hiring Wilcox would bring 20 years of stability to Oregon.
    Bro, did you read the context? I'm saying there's a part of me that thinks that he could be the type to do so. Not saying he will ffs. I don't consider my opinion to be fact unlike some here. I'm raising the point that he could be good for Oregon as devil's advocate. Chill.
    He actually could be. I don't think it's a high probability, but I see your main point. I mean there are mega resources there, and if he could luck into or find a really quality innovative offensive mind he could maybe do some damage there. I'd have hated him at UW, but there is a different dynamic there.

The one thing that would worry me as a Duck fan (and you alluded to this arguing the other way though) is his "stable" (read that as boring) type mentality. Oregon has always been loud, garish and new money rich. It's a huge part of their persona. That is not Wilcox. So I appreciate you thinking he might "fix" that in a sense, but I think fixing it would break them. It's a 2nd tier school in a shithole town. What makes them get top 10 recruiting classes is the new money swagger.

Just my thoughts. On balance, I hope like fuck UO hires Wilcocks because I think there is a 10% chance or less he kills it. But there is a chance.
    He’s Mario 2.0 w/o the recruiting. Absolute wrong choice which is why Mullins will hire him.
    Oregon recruits itself at this point whether we like it or not. And the staff does most of the dirty work and there's no world where Oregon wouldn't shell out big bucks for assistants. Pretty sure Wilcox would still pull in top 15 classes. He would out-recruit DeBoer right now. The fact that Eugene is a rest stop doesn't matter. It's all Phil and Nike.
    It didn't recruit itself under Helfrich.
    dnc said:

46XiJCAB said:

Swaye said:

chuck said:

Gladstone said:

OreDawg said:

My fear is that Wilcox, as an alum, could end up the type who's there for 20 years.
    Yes, as a Junction City kid and UO alum, he probably seems appealing from a "we're a stepping stone school" perspective

OreDawg said:

It might not be lightning in a bottle right away but he's going to bring stability and might be less about the glitzy glamorous Oregon hype machine.
    This is a bunch of platitude nonsense that doesn't mean anything. Bringing "stability" means nothing unless you're a good coach. This is one of those buzzwords on Twitter people throw out to try and sound smart. What does 'might be less about the glitzy glamorous Oregon hype machine' mean? How do you qualify this? Gibberish.

OreDawg said:

Oregon has a culture problem imo and Wilcox could very well be the type to fix it, or at least add a little substance to their charade.

What does this mean? Culture problem of good recruiting? Hiring good coaches? What substance to what charade? This entire post feels like it was written by a ML algorithm that doesn't quite understand the training data yet

OreDawg said:

He will have the tools to do it. I could see him becoming Oregon's Whittingham. Not saying this will for sure happen by any means but I think it's a decent possibility that he's exactly what Oregon needs.
    Can you name literally any metric outside of "has ties to the physical area" that says Wilcox could be their Whittingham? Literally every sentence you typed is brutal wharrgarble nonsense.

Glad to see that my dog isn't the only one dumb enough to try fighting high volume sprinklers. There's also the one pictured, and @CallMeBigErn
    I prefer revolving door Oregon coaching. In fact, I love it. You don't see it that way and that's cool, Chuck. That's cool.
    You were just stating that hiring Wilcox would bring 20 years of stability to Oregon.
    Bro, did you read the context? I'm saying there's a part of me that thinks that he could be the type to do so. Not saying he will ffs. I don't consider my opinion to be fact unlike some here. I'm raising the point that he could be good for Oregon as devil's advocate. Chill.
    He actually could be. I don't think it's a high probability, but I see your main point. I mean there are mega resources there, and if he could luck into or find a really quality innovative offensive mind he could maybe do some damage there. I'd have hated him at UW, but there is a different dynamic there.

The one thing that would worry me as a Duck fan (and you alluded to this arguing the other way though) is his "stable" (read that as boring) type mentality. Oregon has always been loud, garish and new money rich. It's a huge part of their persona. That is not Wilcox. So I appreciate you thinking he might "fix" that in a sense, but I think fixing it would break them. It's a 2nd tier school in a shithole town. What makes them get top 10 recruiting classes is the new money swagger.

Just my thoughts. On balance, I hope like fuck UO hires Wilcocks because I think there is a 10% chance or less he kills it. But there is a chance.
    He’s Mario 2.0 w/o the recruiting. Absolute wrong choice which is why Mullins will hire him.
    Oregon recruits itself at this point whether we like it or not. And the staff does most of the dirty work and there's no world where Oregon wouldn't shell out big bucks for assistants. Pretty sure Wilcox would still pull in top 15 classes. He would out-recruit DeBoer right now. The fact that Eugene is a rest stop doesn't matter. It's all Phil and Nike.
    Helfrich out recruited Petersen. HTH.
  • Options
    CallMeBigErnCallMeBigErn Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,795
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Founders Club
    dnc said:

dnc said:

46XiJCAB said:

Swaye said:

chuck said:

Gladstone said:

OreDawg said:

OreDawg said:

OreDawg said:

OreDawg said:

NIL wasn't around with Slingblade.
    You think it's that big of a game changer?

SC didn't have Lincoln Riley when Helfrich was there either.
    I think Oregon will recruit well regardless of who their coach is, yes. This is more true now than it was 6 years ago because of NIL, yes. They are a machine with an enormous born-in advantage with Phil and Nike.

They should hire a coach, not a recruiter.
  • Options
    CallMeBigErnCallMeBigErn Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,795
    Founders Club
    edited December 2021
    chuck said:

chuck said:

There must be at least 80 coaches out there, who are attainable for Oregon, who have more to show on their resume than Justin Wilcox. The only reason he is even mentioned for new or upcoming vacancies is because he has connections to the schools in question and because when it comes right down to it, ADs and even fans are so cowardly about trying someone new that they're more comfortable rationalizing "safe" mediocrity in their hires. When it came right down to it the majority of UW fans here even started to turn that way before the AD somehow stumbled into making the bold, correct choice.

The unwillingness to branch out reminds me of incest. I'm not sure if that nerdy chick is actually smoking hot or not, so I'm just going to screw my cousin who I already know is back to a solid 5 after her third kid.

Who is attainable? All the big fish have been caught. I can't believe I'm debating who Oregon should hire. I just want whoever is going to fail miserably. I want another Taggart.
    I'd start by filtering my list down to coaches with winning records at the FBS or at least FCS level.
    Yes, Wilcox doesn't have an outstanding HC record. Neither did Cristobal. There's a lot of factors as to why coaches don't succeed in certain places but do in others.

It's Cal.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited December 2021
    dnc said:

46XiJCAB said:

Swaye said:

chuck said:

Gladstone said:

OreDawg said:

OreDawg said:

OreDawg said:

OreDawg said:

Petersen vs Helfrich recruiting rankings head to head

2014. UO 21 UW 38
    2015. UO 16 UW 26
    2016. UO 27 UW 29

A crappy Oregon coach out recruited the best coach Washington has in 2 decades. Maybe 3. Why?
  • Options
    RTDRTD Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 791
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment First Anniversary
    Founders Club
    22 pages and counting, this is how you deep dive!

RTD said:

So it’s rationalize Wilcox and hypothetical staff time?

Let’s deep dive Wilcox’s staff first before rationalizing it.
    Staff having a tough go of it here early, but this thread is delivering as promised. It’s really deep diving the shit out of Wilcox!

• Options
    Beno4LifeBeno4Life Member Posts: 533

46XiJCAB said:

Swaye said:

chuck said:

Gladstone said:

OreDawg said:

OreDawg said:

OreDawg said:

OreDawg said:

Nike and PK recruits for Oregon. Who ever they get will recruit fine. The notion that MC is such an outstanding recruiter is a myth. I could recruit to Oregon just as well. Money talks.
    It’s been pretty well documented by recruits, recruits’ parents (ie Hugh Breed Love Millen), and former staffers (ie Cooper Petagna) that Cristo cares more about recruiting than anything else and implores his staff to recruit like it’s the SEC.

So yeah, combined that effort and acumen with PK money and you have top-10 classes.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dnc said:

dnc said:

46XiJCAB said:

Swaye said:

chuck said:

Gladstone said:

OreDawg said:

OreDawg said:

OreDawg said:

OreDawg said:

dnc said:

46XiJCAB said:

Swaye said:

chuck said:

Gladstone said:

OreDawg said:

OreDawg said:

OreDawg said:

OreDawg said:

Helfrich out recruited Petersen. HTH.
    His last class was 7th in the conference. If that's Oregon recruiting itself I'm fine with Oregon recruiting itself.
    247 has his last class as 5th. Petersen third class was that year. 6th.
  • Options
    HairyBallsDawgHairyBallsDawg Member Posts: 1,019

46XiJCAB said:

Swaye said:

chuck said:

Gladstone said:

OreDawg said:

OreDawg said:

OreDawg said:

OreDawg said:

Yes there is such a world. It's the one where 83 year old Phil Knight isn't around anymore to prop up the school with Nike money. Once he's gone I doubt that $$ pipeline continues.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Beno4Life said:

46XiJCAB said:

Swaye said:

chuck said:

Gladstone said:

OreDawg said:

OreDawg said:

OreDawg said:

OreDawg said:

Nike and PK recruits for Oregon. Who ever they get will recruit fine. The notion that MC is such an outstanding recruiter is a myth. I could recruit to Oregon just as well. Money talks.
    It’s been pretty well documented by recruits, recruits’ parents (ie Hugh Breed Love Millen), and former staffers (ie Cooper Petagna) that Cristo cares more about recruiting than anything else and implores his staff to recruit like it’s the SEC.

So yeah, combined that effort and acumen with PK money and you have top-10 classes.
    My point is Oregon’s floor with a dope like Helfrich is higher that UW’s ceiling as demonstrated by Petersen
  • Options
    TheHBTheHB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,430
    First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Wilcox for UW DC? I’m in.
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,788
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

46XiJCAB said:

Swaye said:

chuck said:

Gladstone said:

OreDawg said:

OreDawg said:

OreDawg said:

OreDawg said:

Yes there is such a world. It's the one where 83 year old Phil Knight isn't around anymore to prop up the school with Nike money. Once he's gone I doubt that $$ pipeline continues.
    But Mosster told me that Nike will continue to give a fuck about them after Phil is gone. The egg shell uniforms, lewis and Clark helmets, and prime location in Eugene is really important to their business model.
  • Options
    RTDRTD Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 791
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment First Anniversary
    Founders Club
    edited December 2021
    Im a little torn on the pending Oregon HC / staff transition. Crystalball is clearly a great recruiter, I’m mean look at the guys name. Wish he would stay forever because his coaching chops are perfectly mediocre. Gonna miss this guy too…

• Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,724
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

chuck said:

chuck said:

Yes, Wilcox doesn't have an outstanding HC record. Neither did Cristobal. There's a lot of factors as to why coaches don't succeed in certain places but do in others.

It's Cal.
    If you're right, and he's substantially better than the record he has put up so far, then he's going to have to prove it. He'll have to take a sister of the poor program to significant heights. Bruce Snyder did it at Cal. Jeff Tedford did it at Cal. It can be done at Cal unless you're saying the school is more hostile to winning football now than it was then.

If not then he's going to have to find a different gig at a similar or lower tier and do something he hasn't done yet...win. Then he'll be a sensible consideration for upper echelon football programs. Right now he'd be a humiliating acceptance of mediocrity, a surrender, for any power five team with aspirations of championship football. That included UW and it sure as hell includes Oregon.
  • Options
    HuskyJWHuskyJW Guest, Member Posts: 14,198
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    A world might exist where UO was fully aware of this situation the whole time….