Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Coaching Search

Comments

• Options
    ChillyDawgChillyDawg Member Posts: 1,469
    First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper

People really want to hire Tui to be the football coach and Brandon Roy for the basketball coach.

Brandon Roy, who has a PhD in basketball, would be a very solid choice as the next head basketball coach for the UW as he would lift the UW MBB program's profile nationwide while restoring local interest in the program from both supporters and recruits. Recruiting would boom especially if the UW completes its new basketball facilities. As long as he hires an experienced staff to support him I don't see any issues with any potential hiring of BRoy to lead the program.

We all seen how BRoy turned Nathan Hale HS into a State and National HS Champion after being a Metro doormat program in only one season by attracting top flight players (Michael Porter Jr, Jontay Porter, PJ Fuller, MarJon Beauchamp, Freddie Brown III) to his program. Players want to play for BRoy.

Anfernee Hardaway is coaching Memphis after only coaching in middle school beforehand and Memphis is doing just fine under him winning 20 games or more each of his 3 seasons.

• Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,617
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    If they hired Tui as the HC I'd quit the program and find something else to watch and post about.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

People really want to hire Tui to be the football coach and Brandon Roy for the basketball coach.

Brandon Roy, who has a PhD in basketball, would be a very solid choice as the next head basketball coach for the UW as he would lift the UW MBB program's profile nationwide while restoring local interest in the program from both supporters and recruits. Recruiting would boom especially if the UW completes its new basketball facilities. As long as he hires an experienced staff to support him I don't see any issues with any potential hiring of BRoy to lead the program.

We all seen how BRoy turned Nathan Hale HS into a State and National HS Champion after being a Metro doormat program in only one season by attracting top flight players (Michael Porter Jr, Jontay Porter, PJ Fuller, MarJon Beauchamp, Freddie Brown III) to his program. Players want to play for BRoy.

Anfernee Hardaway is coaching Memphis after only coaching in middle school beforehand and Memphis is doing just fine under him winning 20 games or more each of his 3 seasons.

Yeah that's not close to true. Penny won three straight state titles at East High (Memphis) before moving up. He ran a dominant AAU program also.
  • Options
    dnc said:

Yeah that's not close to true. Penny won three straight state titles at East High (Memphis) before moving up. He ran a dominant AAU program also.
    Thanks for the correction, friend. The source I read said that he only coached middle school beforehand. Still BRoy would be a very solid choice to lead the UW MBB program.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16G4hmnsp4I
  • Options
    PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 24,554
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Im actually fine with Roy getting a 2 year contract
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

dnc said:

Thanks for the correction, friend. The source I read said that he only coached middle school beforehand. Still BRoy would be a very solid choice to lead the UW MBB program.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16G4hmnsp4I
    I've been following Coach Penny for a long time.

I wouldn't be heartbroken if we gave the job to B Roy but I think we have the ability to do better.
  • Options
    DawgFaderDawgFader Member Posts: 1,414
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    What’s the difference between Roy and Juwaun Howard? Hopkins did get Bajema to transfer in.
  • Options
    GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,147
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

Genuinely thought this was a whoosh for the first paragraph. I'm not sure where the assumption that Roy attracting blue chip talent to his historically inept high school program, and wiping the floor with the poor children who had to face those players, makes for an easy transition to success at the college level.
  • Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,980
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    DawgFader said:

What’s the difference between Roy and Juwaun Howard? Hopkins did get Bajema to transfer in.

Howard was an nba asst

B Roy cut his teeth with two of the worst offensive coaches possible. Romar and McMillan. McMillan basically ran 4 low every possession for years while Roy was in prime form. Hard pass. Love b Roy though.

And for those that think penny is killing it they didn’t even make the tourney at Memphis last year which is a failure at that school.
  • Options
    dtddtd Member Posts: 4,047
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

I'm going to extend the benefit of the doog doubt on this one and assume you're joking, but if not, this is one of the single dumbest reasons to consider someone for a job. Make it a tie breaker at best. If the person is only on your radar because they played school at the same place you did, they shouldn't be on your radar at all. For every Jonathan Smith out there, there are 10 Ernie Kents. It's lazy, it's stupid. Hire a good coach, period, that is all.
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes

UW fans are stupid
  • Options

If UW doesn’t contact Mark Pope and make him say no they aren’t doing their job.

I like Mark Pope https://byucougars.com/staff/m-basketball/80934/mark-pope as well. Pope and BRoy (associate head coach) could be a very lethal coaching-recruiting combination for the UW.

BYU, on the road at Oregon, is currently handing Oregon their duck tail in a 81-49 victory https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/boxscore/_/gameId/401371258