Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Travels With Mabel

Comments

• Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,811
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    LebamDawg said:

Took a 4 month hiatus - no offense but youse guys drove me nuts. Well I be back. Since I last posted I have been back up to Bend, Portland, Chehalis, Brothell, La Conner (twice), Anacortes, back to Chehalis, Umatilla, and now in Coeur d'Alene. Heading to Mebane, NC by Oct 4th.

the only thing that I found out is do not buy a new fifth wheel trailer if it was made during or it seems after the Vid. Was talking to one guy who used to work for Thor someplace in whOregon. As the unit is progressing (God I hate that word) moving thru the production line the plumbing is ready to go, but one guy called in sick, so everyone in the plumbing installers union has to sit out 10 days.
    The unit continues down the line with no plumbing. When the plumbers installers union has returned from fishing, I mean quarantine, they open up the trailer and install the plumbing. Good Luck with that trailer.

So I bought a new rig - stupid move - see previous paragraph. We decided that after one year we were still talking to each other so lets get more storage. The inside has 3 levels - kitchen in the rear - bedroom in the front. Storage under the front and an 8 ft slide out. Damn thing is 42 foot long, truck runs fine and the missus keeps telling me to slow down.
    So I pick this new trailer up - w/d, solar panels w/3000 watt inverter, residential fridge, rooftop satellite TV, and internet. Was told it took 2 extra days so they could trouble shoot everything. If they did, it wasn't on our unit. Run washing machine - it floods the bedroom and takes 6 hours to dry a load of clothes, TV does not work, Internet worked but then failed, inverter is wired incorrectly.

They rewired the inverter to have an automatic kick-in when shore power disconnects. Originally, they replaced the 1000 W inverter and did nothing on the auto kick-in. The 1000W inverter only ran the residential fridge and nothing else, I would have been able to connect 3 fridges off that one circuit. idiots.

This was from the dealership, do not go to Lazy Days in Woodland. or anywhere else. The manufacturer back this thing 1000% - they told me to get all the mobile repair folks I needed to fix everything. I did, first repair place was able to fix the internet, one broken wire to the modem and it had a special fitting that could not be repaired. Had to remove the rooftop unit to get the wire replaced. But they could not fix the W/D - on their way out he said "to tell you the truth, I'm really not good at plumbing". But they were good at math charging me $583. Plus, the fat ass needed the code for the restroom and spent 30 minutes dropping 25 lbs down the toilet. I got reimbursed.

Friend who is a plumber had the tools to fix the faulty drain and we over charged the dealership easily by $200.

Satellite not working, dish guy comes out and says he can't get inside the wiring of the trailer. Well, I helped him and we got it working but it wired wrong and it was exposed and looked ugly as shit. That was free. Well included in the exorbitant monthly fees they charge.

On a move from La Conner to Chehalis the valve for the black tank malfunctioned. As I pulled into Riverside Golf Course and Bistro and RV Park a mobile repair guy was working on an RV close to me - he stopped by and fixed the valve. Manufacturing faulty design. Hoses moving knocked a retaining pin loose and the actuator missed contact on the valve handle. He also fixed the dryer and a friend of his and I did the rewire on the satellite system. Over charged for all of that too

All is fixed now, I have been reimbursed totally for all repairs. and this trailer is not a cheap SOB.

here is the exact model we have - https://www.lazydays.com/rvs/loveland-co/fifth-wheel/vanleigh-rv-beacon-21104327

and here we are in Wolf Lodge Campground, Coeur d'Alene

Wolf Lodge Steakhouse is fucking delicious.

• Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,485
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

LebamDawg said:

Took a 4 month hiatus - no offense but youse guys drove me nuts. Well I be back. Since I last posted I have been back up to Bend, Portland, Chehalis, Brothell, La Conner (twice), Anacortes, back to Chehalis, Umatilla, and now in Coeur d'Alene. Heading to Mebane, NC by Oct 4th.

the only thing that I found out is do not buy a new fifth wheel trailer if it was made during or it seems after the Vid. Was talking to one guy who used to work for Thor someplace in whOregon. As the unit is progressing (God I hate that word) moving thru the production line the plumbing is ready to go, but one guy called in sick, so everyone in the plumbing installers union has to sit out 10 days.
    The unit continues down the line with no plumbing. When the plumbers installers union has returned from fishing, I mean quarantine, they open up the trailer and install the plumbing. Good Luck with that trailer.

So I bought a new rig - stupid move - see previous paragraph. We decided that after one year we were still talking to each other so lets get more storage. The inside has 3 levels - kitchen in the rear - bedroom in the front. Storage under the front and an 8 ft slide out. Damn thing is 42 foot long, truck runs fine and the missus keeps telling me to slow down.
    So I pick this new trailer up - w/d, solar panels w/3000 watt inverter, residential fridge, rooftop satellite TV, and internet. Was told it took 2 extra days so they could trouble shoot everything. If they did, it wasn't on our unit. Run washing machine - it floods the bedroom and takes 6 hours to dry a load of clothes, TV does not work, Internet worked but then failed, inverter is wired incorrectly.

They rewired the inverter to have an automatic kick-in when shore power disconnects. Originally, they replaced the 1000 W inverter and did nothing on the auto kick-in. The 1000W inverter only ran the residential fridge and nothing else, I would have been able to connect 3 fridges off that one circuit. idiots.

This was from the dealership, do not go to Lazy Days in Woodland. or anywhere else. The manufacturer back this thing 1000% - they told me to get all the mobile repair folks I needed to fix everything. I did, first repair place was able to fix the internet, one broken wire to the modem and it had a special fitting that could not be repaired. Had to remove the rooftop unit to get the wire replaced. But they could not fix the W/D - on their way out he said "to tell you the truth, I'm really not good at plumbing". But they were good at math charging me $583. Plus, the fat ass needed the code for the restroom and spent 30 minutes dropping 25 lbs down the toilet. I got reimbursed.

Friend who is a plumber had the tools to fix the faulty drain and we over charged the dealership easily by $200.

Satellite not working, dish guy comes out and says he can't get inside the wiring of the trailer. Well, I helped him and we got it working but it wired wrong and it was exposed and looked ugly as shit. That was free. Well included in the exorbitant monthly fees they charge.

On a move from La Conner to Chehalis the valve for the black tank malfunctioned. As I pulled into Riverside Golf Course and Bistro and RV Park a mobile repair guy was working on an RV close to me - he stopped by and fixed the valve. Manufacturing faulty design. Hoses moving knocked a retaining pin loose and the actuator missed contact on the valve handle. He also fixed the dryer and a friend of his and I did the rewire on the satellite system. Over charged for all of that too

All is fixed now, I have been reimbursed totally for all repairs. and this trailer is not a cheap SOB.

here is the exact model we have - https://www.lazydays.com/rvs/loveland-co/fifth-wheel/vanleigh-rv-beacon-21104327

I love Travels With Mabel but would never buy an RV EVER. The quality control is shit AF

There’s no Toyota of RVs
    This is a good read, and I'm glad OP is enjoying his travels, but I could never live the life of a gypsy.
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,892
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

LebamDawg said:

I love Travels With Mabel but would never buy an RV EVER. The quality control is shit AF

There’s no Toyota of RVs
    This is a good read, and I'm glad OP is enjoying his travels, but I could never live the life of a gypsy.
    My father-in-law is a retired engineer and recovered trailer guysm. He had a lot of horror stories about how poorly made most RVs are.
  • Options
    LebamDawgLebamDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,540
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    It's true that there are some really bad RVs and RV dealership out there. Usually we have found that RVs that are rated for full time living have better quality control. Manufactures make high end models that are supported better than low end models. They are made really cheap with no insulation, single pane windows, etc - you get what you pay for. Prevost diesel motor homes are extremely well made - but just the motor and chassis starts at $400K - put an interior in and you are over a million. I am a cheap bastard and stuck with an expensive truck and an upper range fifth wheel.

At the same time I can show you thousand of stick and bricks home nightmare stories also. Be it a home or a house on wheels - they are both constant upkeep. It is a lot easier to travel in an RV and I don't need a black light to see all the stains like you would find in a $300 a night luxury hotel room or have TSA do a cavity search at the airport - although TINWWT
  • Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,750
    edited August 2022

LebamDawg said:

There’s no Toyota of RVs
    I thought that I could have until the Pandemic hit. Seeing all the YouTube vids and cool places to camp for free.
    Covid pretty much wiped out 80% of van lifers though.

At least the ones that wanted to, but didn’t need to.

Now those quaint little spots are overrun with those that have to.

Not Christian Shaffer though. She’s still rollin.
  • Options
    LebamDawgLebamDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,540
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Travels with Damone would take some pressure off me - @CFetters_Nacho_Lover I was staying at a place called Lightning Ranch in Pipe Creek, Tx - I will be staying there again this December thru till February - then who the hell knows?

@MikeDamone - odds are you will be alone soon, just going by what I read you know nothing personal
  • Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    Swaye's Wigwam
    LebamDawg said:

Travels with Damone would take some pressure off me - @CFetters_Nacho_Lover I was staying at a place called Lightning Ranch in Pipe Creek, Tx - I will be staying there again this December thru till February - then who the hell knows?

@MikeDamone - odds are you will be alone soon, just going by what I read you know nothing personal

If I was going to be alone it would have happened years ago.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

I rented an airstream last month and towed to to southern Utah. Solid unit. No complaints. I could probably live in an airstream if I lived alone.

Cool story.

NOC.

It’s never too late for Travels with Damone thread.
    Travels with Damone: I went to a bar. The end.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

I rented an airstream last month and towed to to southern Utah. Solid unit. No complaints. I could probably live in an airstream if I lived alone.

Cool story.

NOC.

If you stay by the school again in White Wakanda @MikeDamone i’ll buy you and old fashioned with extra sugar and talk shit to your face.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited August 2022

Cool story.

NOC.

If you stay by the school again in White Wakanda @MikeDamone i’ll buy you and old fashioned with extra sugar and talk shit to your face.
    Where? Bend?

I don't take sugar in my OF. Pass
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Cool story.

NOC.

Where? Bend?

Bend. Cabin 22 or Westside tavern. Seem to be the spots where the local drunks go.

• Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,750

Cool story.

NOC.

Where? Bend?

Bend. Cabin 22 or Westside tavern. Seem to be the spots where the local drunks go.

Westside breakfast with bloodies is a great start to a crisp fall day.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,966
    Founders Club
    Swaye said:

LebamDawg said:

That costs more than my actual house. Dick.

• Options
    USMChawkUSMChawk Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,796
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    LebamDawg said:

My wife and I discussed renting an RVSprinter van and seeing if it’s something we would/could do. I think 2 weeks a year is my limit. After reading this, purchasing is off the table (was never really on the table); that sounds like a nightmare