Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Travels With Mabel

Comments

• Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,887
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Kaepsknee said:

I rented an airstream last month and towed to to southern Utah. Solid unit. No complaints. I could probably live in an airstream if I lived alone.

Cool story.

NOC.

It’s never too late for Travels with Damone thread.
    Travels with Damone: I went to a bar. The end.
    If you stay by the school again in White Wakanda @MikeDamone i’ll buy you and old fashioned with extra sugar and talk shit to your face.
    Where? Bend?

I don't take sugar in my OF. Pass
    Bend. Cabin 22 or Westside tavern. Seem to be the spots where the local drunks go.

Westside breakfast with bloodies is a great start to a crisp fall day.
    I haven’t really gone slumming yet in my 2 years in White Wakanda. Mostly just the various breweries. Need to give it a try still.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited August 2022

Kaepsknee said:

I rented an airstream last month and towed to to southern Utah. Solid unit. No complaints. I could probably live in an airstream if I lived alone.

Cool story.

NOC.

It’s never too late for Travels with Damone thread.
    Travels with Damone: I went to a bar. The end.
    If you stay by the school again in White Wakanda @MikeDamone i’ll buy you and old fashioned with extra sugar and talk shit to your face.
    Where? Bend?

I don't take sugar in my OF. Pass
    Bend. Cabin 22 or Westside tavern. Seem to be the spots where the local drunks go.

Westside breakfast with bloodies is a great start to a crisp fall day.
    I haven’t really gone slumming yet in my 2 years in White Wakanda. Mostly just the various breweries. Need to give it a try still.

I mostly just hang at the cuntry club these days. No too much slummin’ any more.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,803
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    edited September 2022
    You won't get into the shitty shit of the Great Plains and Eastern Montana until you get to Billings. Then it is fuckery up through Miles City and into North Dakota.

If you're dropping down into Wyoming on I-90, it stays pretty nice until you get near Gillette. Then improves beautifully in the Black Hills of South Dakota.

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Mabel do you have any laundromat stories?
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,954
    Founders Club
    LebamDawg said:

Deer Lodge museum day today. Hanging around doing nothing, staying in Garrison Jct and that is all it is. Been to Hell-ena and back - actually quite nice up there. Getting into rolling hill of Montana and it appears the beginning of the Great Plains.

In one of the museums they were playing piano music. I recognized 5/8 songs so asked about the music. This is the most excited the hostess lady got all day I think. She brought a collection of old west piano players recorded on CD. They were pretty good actually so I present one of the CDs here for your listening enjoyment.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8HWqocyKsQ&list=OLAK5uy_kkRXEPp55UKaBL8Gtrjk5pY67VZyYntDQ

Damn should have put this on album of the day

Have you ever been to the Bucket of Blood saloon in Virginia City, Nevada?
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

You won't get into the shitty shit of the Great Plains and Eastern Montana until you get to Billings. Then it is fuckery up through Miles City and into North Dakota.

If you're dropping down into Wyoming on I-90, it stays pretty nice until you get near Gillette. Then improves beautifully in the Black Hills of South Dakota.

I disagree. I thought east of Billings and into ND had some of the absolute best landscape scenes I saw on my trips through there in 2017.

I’ve stayed in Billings twice.

1st time (2015) was because I didn’t know it’s kind of a shitty town. Booked a downtown hotel, saw the meth addicts all over and promptly walked into the lobby to cancel my reservation. Went towards a Home Depot area and stayed in a hotel there.

2nd time (2017) was because a check engine light came on in our brand VW Atlas 90 minutes past Bozeman. Had to choose between backtracking to Bozeman or going to Billings. Ended up staying about 36 hours for the issue to get solved - a good chunk of that time was for the car to shut down and the engine to cool off so the techs could get into it. Found a small hotel and actually some decent parts of Billings that weren’t full of @Swaye’s meth addicted Rez Life relatives.
    The fuck ?

I never knew you were such a prairie Dawg @CFetters_Nacho_Lover
  • Options
    LebamDawgLebamDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,537
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited September 2022

Mabel do you have any laundromat stories?

None what-so-ever, MrsIamnotinLebam had requirements when we liquidated everything and became nomads.
    1. Satellite TV
    2. Internet
    3. Washer and Dryer
    Edit: not a laundromat story, but the one-way valve on the washing machine drain failed and flooded the bedroom. They used a flat rubber washer on a compression fitting and over tightened. Replaced flat with a beveled rubber washer and hand-tightened only until leak stopped.

Hell yes - 3 times, had a hat (lost it somewhere), the Mrs plays a slot machine and wins an old silver dollar and still has it, plus I have a Bucket of Blood bottle of beer in storage. Unless I drank it...

My plan is after Labor Day in the metropolis of Reed Point going to Sheridan then on to Sturgis
  • Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,857
    Founders Club

I disagree. I thought east of Billings and into ND had some of the absolute best landscape scenes I saw on my trips through there in 2017.

1st time (2015) was because I didn’t know it’s kind of a shitty town. Booked a downtown hotel, saw the meth addicts all over and promptly walked into the lobby to cancel my reservation. Went towards a Home Depot area and stayed in a hotel there.

2nd time (2017) was because a check engine light came on in our brand VW Atlas 90 minutes past Bozeman. Had to choose between backtracking to Bozeman or going to Billings. Ended up staying about 36 hours for the issue to get solved - a good chunk of that time was for the car to shut down and the engine to cool off so the techs could get into it. Found a small hotel and actually some decent parts of Billings that weren’t full of @Swaye’s meth addicted Rez Life relatives.
    The fuck ?

I never knew you were such a prairie Dawg @CFetters_Nacho_Lover
    I love prairie Dawgging.
  • Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,302
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

LebamDawg said:

Deer Lodge museum day today. Hanging around doing nothing, staying in Garrison Jct and that is all it is. Been to Hell-ena and back - actually quite nice up there. Getting into rolling hill of Montana and it appears the beginning of the Great Plains.

In one of the museums they were playing piano music. I recognized 5/8 songs so asked about the music. This is the most excited the hostess lady got all day I think. She brought a collection of old west piano players recorded on CD. They were pretty good actually so I present one of the CDs here for your listening enjoyment.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8HWqocyKsQ&list=OLAK5uy_kkRXEPp55UKaBL8Gtrjk5pY67VZyYntDQ

My dad lives in Carson City. Insists that we go to Virginia City every time I visit. Not my cuppa. Rather go west to Tahoe than east into the 110-degree wasteland.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

One of my bucket list/death wish items is to spend St. Patrick's Day in Butte.

There was a time when Irish was commonly heard in the mines beneath and around Butte, Montana. Built largely by Famine emigrants, Butte had a higher percentage of Irish than any other city in the U.S. at the dawn of the 20th century. As the mines became less profitable, the Irish came in fewer numbers, but most who were there stayed and the city is steeped in Irish pride. Naturally, St. Patrick’s Day is a huge affair, and with no open container laws until 2013, arguably one of the country’s rowdiest. (Source: butteamerica.com)

Eastern Montana/North Dakota is fine - it just reminds me too much of the scablands of Eastern Washington.

Stuff adjacent to the Missouri River is cool.
    Green Beer in the pit @PurpleThrobber ?
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,803

There was a time when Irish was commonly heard in the mines beneath and around Butte, Montana. Built largely by Famine emigrants, Butte had a higher percentage of Irish than any other city in the U.S. at the dawn of the 20th century. As the mines became less profitable, the Irish came in fewer numbers, but most who were there stayed and the city is steeped in Irish pride. Naturally, St. Patrick’s Day is a huge affair, and with no open container laws until 2013, arguably one of the country’s rowdiest. (Source: butteamerica.com)

Eastern Montana/North Dakota is fine - it just reminds me too much of the scablands of Eastern Washington.

More like catch cancer in the pit. The mother of all superfund sites.

I have a business acquaintance from Butte and would attend with him. His nickname is "One Punch".
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

I have a business acquaintance from Butte and would attend with him. His nickname is "One Punch".
    IFL Montana but damn what robber baron mining did to parts of that state is pretty nasty.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,954
    Founders Club

LebamDawg said:

My dad lives in Carson City. Insists that we go to Virginia City every time I visit. Not my cuppa. Rather go west to Tahoe than east into the 110-degree wasteland.
    It's worth going once to things like Bucket of Blood and seeing where Mark Twain worked. Then its Tahoe for sure. I love Tahoe.
  • Options
    Fishpo31Fishpo31 Member Posts: 2,247
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    edited September 2022

Been there, drunk that, about 30 years ago…

Think I still have an old Vu Villa hat around somewhere…good tims…
  • Options
    LebamDawgLebamDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,537
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

IFL Montana but damn what robber baron mining did to parts of that state is pretty nasty.
    hindsight on the founding and development of the U$ofA is always 20 20 vision.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    LebamDawg said:

hindsight on the founding and development of the U$ofA is always 20 20 vision.
    George Hearst. San Francisco Cocksucker.