Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Seattle's Greatest Dive Bar?

Comments

• Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,987
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    The Duchess
    dflea said:

No love for the Alki Tavern or the Moon Temple Cocktail Lounge.

Bunch of North End Provincials on these boreds.

What's wrong with you people? Not even the Buckaroo.

That said, I was in the Blue Moon once with a hot lady friend who asked the bartender for a cleann ashtray, whereupon the gray haired dude grabbed the ashtray, dumped it on the floor, and tossed it back onto the table.

Now that's a fucking Dive for ya.

The Buckaroo was north of the ship canal.
    There. BTW, the old Buckaroo sign is in some bar in Georgetown, now. Saw it last weekend.

Also, how is the Duchess on this list? When I was in school, it was Greek as Fuck and clean as a whistle. Nothing but Cali College Sweatshirts and backwards "Cal" hats, to ensure I'd know the posers were from No Cal, as if I couldn't tell.
    The Duchess checks all the boxes...

- OG Seattle Tavern which didn't serve spirits until well into the 2002's
    - Shitty service from surely bartenders
    - Narsty bathrooms - ever tried to take a dump at the Duchess?
    - 80 year old furniture

That it's popular with college kids due to proximity doesn't make it a classy, non-divey type of establishment.
    When I've urinated at The Duchess I've wondered what kind of bacterial growth was affixing itself to the bottom of my shoes.
    I was there in the late 90s with a teammate. The dude had to pinch a loaf real bad and proceeds to the stall which at the Duchess is basically zero privacy. Some drunken frat guy walks and in and say "bro - worst place ever to take a shit!".

So my fren got stage fright and went outside somewhere to take a crap in the bushes.
    lmao

That dude never grew up camping. Was the first time he ever took a "non indoor" plumbing #2 in his (post diapers) life. We still make fun of the guy to this day.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    The Duchess

Just celebrated 12 years with the beard down in Seattle a couple of weekends ago. Waited for a restaurant table at what I thought was a pretty bitchin' dive bar. Was pleased to see the Pacific Inn was on this list.

I can probably top all cummers' bar shit horror stories, though: Thirsty Thursday is the big drinking day here--or used to be in ancient times when I was young and bar-hopping, and the migration was very predictable, as everyone would start the night at a local dive bar for $2 pitchers, then everyone would wander over to the local meat market/dance club for fifty-cent wells. The first and last Thirsty Thursday of every school quarter was always the craziest, as every person in their early twenties in town would all try piling into a single tiny bar. The line to get in would wrap around the block, the line to get to the bar and get a pitcher looked more like a mosh pit, and the bar would immediately run out of pitchers, leading to an "every man for himself" steal-a-dirty-pitcher-and-get-it-filled scenario.

What was also long was the line to the men's room, which was not only the filthiest bathroom I've seen in my life to this day, but featured only a small trough to the left and a sink and shitter to the right. There was no stall for the toilet, just a tiny divider wall between sink and toilet. The door to the bathroom... did not exist, so if you had to take a shit, everybody in that corner of the bar could pretty much see you doing it. And I had to take a shit suddenly. If I left for greener pastures, my night was over, as no way would I make it through the long-ass line to get back in again. So I made my way through the bathroom line and rounded the divider to the shitter.

Whole time I was blowing ass, dudes are rocking up and pissing in the sink right next to me while laughing at my predicament. I'm hearing people from well into the bar saying, "Holy fuck, somebody's actually taking a shit in there!" And afterward, I had to make the walk of shame past the bathroom line, with guys literally pointing and laughing.

/csb

Shitty bathroom there at the PI. But the fish and chips are the best in Seattle.
  • Options
    TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,753
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    edited August 2021

I’m very much a West Seattle guy so all my choices are West Seattle centric.

The Alki Tavern might’ve been my favorite all tim dive bar.

Pogies is somehow still in business despite massive gentrification in the junction.

I always The 5 Point was quite the dive bar.

And lastly, there’s a place called BeeZees in the Burien/Des Moines/Seatac area.

West Seattle is basically like a trip to Tacoma for me. I hardly ever went there.
    So you see what I mean by "provincial?"

Take heart that you're not alone. Many in Seattle don't know shit about what exists beyond their pod.

Columbia and Hillman Cities say "Hi." South Park and Allentown say "Hola!"
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    The Duchess

Pogies is somehow still in business despite massive gentrification in the junction.

And lastly, there’s a place called BeeZees in the Burien/Des Moines/Seatac area.

West Seattle is basically like a trip to Tacoma for me. I hardly ever went there.
    So you see what I mean by "provincial?"

Take heart that you're not alone. Many in Seattle don't know shit about what exists beyond their pod.

Columbia and Hillman Cities say "Hi." South Park and Allentown say "Hola!"
    I rarely go east of downtown White Wakanda. Just a bunch of juniper and pours that hate Cali fags and Seattle Diaspora.

P.S. I’ve drunk many pints at the Columbia City Alehouse despite being a provincial
  • Options
    edited August 2021

One thing I like about West Seattle is how Tacoma-like it is. No nonsense, hard drinkers, lots of pickup trucks and self-employed types. Slowly but surely getting pushed out and priced out by the skinny jean & fat girlfriend crowd, but still blue collar enough to relax and breathe.

Plus White Center and Georgetown bars are close by when I need that Fremont-in-the-90's feeling.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    The Duchess

Fuck this poll for not mentioning Lenny's in Wallingford/Tangletown. Sturdy Hells Angels type woman bartender in black motorcycle or concert T-shirts who went by "Rocky." Only a Class A dive could do that.

I like Lenny’s. Owned my first house just down the street.
  • Options
    huskyhooliganhuskyhooligan Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,092
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    The Blue Moon

Solid list from Thrillist.

https://www.thrillist.com/drink/seattle/best-dive-bars-in-seattle

Some very north end options on the list. Lenny's funny enough is or was owned by a retired history / gym teacher at Roosevelt. He and the old basketball / track coach used to be there and ogle the younger women. Can't blame them. Fizzy Izzy was fucking delicious. Some of the best tots I've ever had.

I feel like Linda's is a place where people who want to be edgy but aren't actually edgy go to drink. Edgy try hards.

Vote is for Blue Moon though. No place has the mix of shitty bands, mostly homeless clients, and underage drinkers a true dive bar should have.

Seattle is generally blessed by a good bar scene, with lots of options for all types.

I like to rep the north of the ship canal.
    Natives refer to it as the Norf end
  • Options
    huskyhooliganhuskyhooligan Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,092
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    The Blue Moon

No love for the Alki Tavern or the Moon Temple Cocktail Lounge.

Bunch of North End Provincials on these boreds.

What's wrong with you people? Not even the Buckaroo.

That said, I was in the Blue Moon once with a hot lady friend who asked the bartender for a cleann ashtray, whereupon the gray haired dude grabbed the ashtray, dumped it on the floor, and tossed it back onto the table.

Now that's a fucking Dive for ya.

The Buckaroo was north of the ship canal.
    There. BTW, the old Buckaroo sign is in some bar in Georgetown, now. Saw it last weekend.

Also, how is the Duchess on this list? When I was in school, it was Greek as Fuck and clean as a whistle. Nothing but Cali College Sweatshirts and backwards "Cal" hats, to ensure I'd know the posers were from No Cal, as if I couldn't tell.
    The Duchess checks all the boxes...

- OG Seattle Tavern which didn't serve spirits until well into the 2002's
    - Shitty service from surely bartenders
    - Narsty bathrooms - ever tried to take a dump at the Duchess?
    - 80 year old furniture

That it's popular with college kids due to proximity doesn't make it a classy, non-divey type of establishment.
    When I've urinated at The Duchess I've wondered what kind of bacterial growth was affixing itself to the bottom of my shoes.
    I was there in the late 90s with a teammate. The dude had to pinch a loaf real bad and proceeds to the stall which at the Duchess is basically zero privacy. Some drunken frat guy walks and in and say "bro - worst place ever to take a shit!".

So my fren got stage fright and went outside somewhere to take a crap in the bushes.
    Stage Fright in the bathroom stall. Yikes

@huskyhooligan???!!!??
    Some rise, to the occasion, some don't.
  • Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,942
    Founders Club
    F.O. Row Peter Puffer, you left off....

One thing I like about West Seattle is how Tacoma-like it is. No nonsense, hard drinkers, lots of pickup trucks and self-employed types. Slowly but surely getting pushed out and priced out by the skinny jean & fat girlfriend crowd, but still blue collar enough to relax and breathe.

Plus White Center and Georgetown bars are close by when I need that Fremont-in-the-90's feeling.
    I haven’t been to West Seattle since 2019 but I feel like the blue collar crowd isn’t there anymore except in a few locations.
  • Options
    SoutherndawgSoutherndawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,238
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Founders Club
    The Rez

haie said:

I would vote Blue Moon because it had that vintage dive bar customer service whereby the bartender would treat students like complete garbage.

One time right after I graduated I walked in and was so fucked up I just said "give me whatever your favorite beer is" and the old salty dude just rolled his eyes and shoved a bottle of Sierra Nevada at me. I respect that kind of "I hope this kid is driving so he can just roll right off of the the I-5 overpass" vibe.

College Inn wasn't a dive bar, it was like what you'd get if you've ever been to Estonia or some other pissed off Eastern European country, but it was my favorite and had a shit ton of pool tables too.

I never felt comfortable at the College Inn
    That's too bad, the place could be a lot of fun, especially throwing darts after a few beers. When I was at UW, it was a regular post exam decompression tank for me and a number of my buddies. Threw a few back with some of my professors there as well. Still remember some interesting brews from there, Felinfoel being one I haven't had since.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    The Duchess

haie said:

I would vote Blue Moon because it had that vintage dive bar customer service whereby the bartender would treat students like complete garbage.

One time right after I graduated I walked in and was so fucked up I just said "give me whatever your favorite beer is" and the old salty dude just rolled his eyes and shoved a bottle of Sierra Nevada at me. I respect that kind of "I hope this kid is driving so he can just roll right off of the the I-5 overpass" vibe.

College Inn wasn't a dive bar, it was like what you'd get if you've ever been to Estonia or some other pissed off Eastern European country, but it was my favorite and had a shit ton of pool tables too.

That's too bad, the place could be a lot of fun, especially throwing darts after a few beers. When I was at UW, it was a regular post exam decompression tank for me and a number of my buddies. Threw a few back with some of my professors there as well. Still remember some interesting brews from there, Felinfoel being one I haven't had since.
    I’ve only been there a few times. Most recently with @Laocoön . Pretty decent spot but we just never seemed to gravitate there in college.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,150
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    edited August 2021
    The Duchess

haie said:

first time I met dave samek was there in 1997
  • Options
    Fishpo31Fishpo31 Member Posts: 2,258
    The Duchess

Fuck this poll for not mentioning Lenny's in Wallingford/Tangletown. Sturdy Hells Angels type woman bartender in black motorcycle or concert T-shirts who went by "Rocky." Only a Class A dive could do that.

I like Lenny’s. Owned my first house just down the street.
    Nice greasy tavern burgers, if I recall
  • Options
    edited August 2021

Delicious Scotch Ale, brewed near Gorst. Unbeatable.
    Perfect for Dive bars hovering along at 9.2% ABV.