Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Seattle's Greatest Dive Bar?

Comments

• Options
    LebamDawgLebamDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,551
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited August 2021
    The Blue Moon
    went with the Blue Moon but...

The Central Tavern? many a night spent in that hell hole

Teddy's Off Roosevelt? another place that ruined relationships - women can be so picky about where they drink

Being from the lovely Rainier Beach area (and Skyway) I could include all the local places that started my life of debauchery if I hadn't burned out so many brain cells

Edit: Dollar pitchers at Dante's was another special treat
  • Options
    TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,753
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

Delicious Scotch Ale, brewed near Gorst. Unbeatable.
    Perfect for Dive bars hovering along at 9.2% ABV.

As a guysm who is 1/8 Scots, let me tell you this: Scottish ale is some thick, syruppy, undrinkable sludge.

Uh-Huh. Takes a Man to drink it versus a glass of flower milk.
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,989
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    The Duchess

As a guysm who is 1/8 Scots, let me tell you this: Scottish ale is some thick, syruppy, undrinkable sludge.

Uh-Huh. Takes a Man to drink it versus a glass of flower milk.
    I drink the smokiest of Islay whisky that puts hair on your ballz. Ask @PurpleBaze - he can confirm.

• Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,557
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    The Dog House. Tyfys. Thats the one I was trying to remember

Big favorite of ours

I was walking in drunk on my ass as this old guy walks out

Hey its Spiro Agnew! He wasn't amused

Csb

https://www.historylink.org/File/3472
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    The Duchess

These were some of the dive bars of the day... my faves were the old Red Robin in the 60's and early 70's before the remodel and the sell out to the franchise developers... [Check out the pic ~ this was a cool ass dive bar with a great view of the water]... and during the same period before the remodels, the Attic and the Red Onion in Madison Park were hole in wall [high school and up] dive bar paradises... these were standing room only hell holes that were a lot of fun.. The RO bathroom was epically bad and featured the legendary quote "Jill blows goats" sign along the disgusting toilet cubical wall.

The most violently interesting dive bar where you had the feeling that a punch-out might take place at any minute was at the fabled Place Pigalle Tavern in the Pike Place Market.. a really edgy late night place where as a special bonus the patrons would stick a leg out the window and climb up a rickety steel ladder [with no landing beneath and that was 5 floors above a descending concrete stairway below] in order to get more stoned on the roof. The roof also had a guy wire strung across it that you could trip on to go over the edge to add to the excitement.

Besides the Doghouse hockey bar which might have been the spookiest place in town,
    in the early 70's the most striking dive bar experiences were to be had at Mother's bar on Capital Hill.

At that point, the guy that owned it [George] was a charming and generous drug connection overlord and the place was swimming with drugs, druggies, and a wild assortment of locals including beaten up girl friends that were sporting black eyes.

My friend was a bartender there and he invited me in for a beer so I went... After I sat down George comes out and introduces himself and says that my friend [the bartender] says that you like speed, and puts a giant salad bowl on the bar in front of me which has about 1,000 black beauties in it.

This is like 4 in the afternoon and there are maybe 10 people in the bar at this point. So i laughed at the unexpected offering and said yah... i do, and took one. No no, he says, take a big handful, no charge ~ and then disappears into his office behind the bar leaving the bowl behind.

As the afternoon blended into the early evening the actors were straight out of Carrol's Through the Looking Glass and if you were lucky like I was and hung around and participated in the action, fish were jumping into the boat and later you were going to hook up with a wild looking girl and get invited to an exclusive heroin get together, and all of the excitement that follows ~ including death threats to dealers that were cutting drugs that got dragged in after the burn and at gun point, had to beg for their life.

As a bystander that had simply gone along for the ride with a super hot but absolutely weird girl this was an interesting experience but according to my friend that worked at the bar was just another night at Mothers.

I still loved the 90s version of Red Robbin. It was still the OG location and felt way cooler than the shopping mall Red Robbin I grew up frequenting at North County Fair Mall close to @RaceBannon 's house.
  • Options
    TheRoarOfTheCrowdTheRoarOfTheCrowd Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,588
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Sure, at that point it was a pretty nice high tone place with a great deck and good food
  • Options
    coronabruincoronabruin Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,478
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Lack of Earls tells me everything I need to know about you.
  • Options
    coronabruincoronabruin Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,478
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Lack of Earls tells me everything I need to know about you.

SF, J. I’ve had some nights at Earl’s where you would have died of alcohol poisoning.
    This kind of post tells me even more. Wow, just wow.
  • Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,604
    Where did the pumpster haunt

Because that's where I want to be
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,634
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

I forget. I'm either 1/4 or 1/8 Scottish. There's some blurring of the lines back in the 12th-14th centuries.

Anyways, both Scotch and Scottish ales are pure swill. My brother loves them. He loves what he faggily refers to as "big beers". Gawd what a homo. That shit ain't beer. At least "flower milk", aka IPA or regular pale ale I suppose, is actual beer.
  • Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,556
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    F.O. Row Peter Puffer, you left off....
    I like a good Scotch Ale when done right. Not a ton that I've ever gotten in to. The oak-aged version of that Silver City is much better than the Magnificent Bastard, IMO.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    chuck said:

I forget. I'm either 1/4 or 1/8 Scottish. There's some blurring of the lines back in the 12th-14th centuries.

Anyways, both Scotch and Scottish ales are pure swill. My brother loves them. He loves what he faggily refers to as "big beers". Gawd what a homo. That shit ain't beer. At least "flower milk", aka IPA or regular pale ale I suppose, is actual beer.

Bert Grant Wearing a Tartan Kilt says Fuck Off, IPA Faggots.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    The Duchess

chuck said:

Bert Grant Wearing a Tartan Kilt says Fuck Off, IPA Faggots.
    I can’t wait for the first C.O. hardcore husky meetup at the Tumalo Feed Company with @TurdBomber @dflea @BendDawg24 and @Tequilla in attendance.

Gonna be lit.
  • Options
    pawzpawz Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 18,826
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    The Blue Moon
    LebamDawg said:

went with the Blue Moon but...

The Central Tavern? many a night spent in that hell hole

Teddy's Off Roosevelt? another place that ruined relationships - women can be so picky about where they drink

Being from the lovely Rainier Beach area (and Skyway) I could include all the local places that started my life of debauchery if I hadn't burned out so many brain cells

Edit: Dollar pitchers at Dante's was another special treat

This is exactly my vote - Blue Moon.

But leaving Teddy's off is an EC-like miss. I used to live a block from there and stumbled home many many times black-out drunk. Gawd I loved that place.
  • Options
    pawzpawz Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 18,826
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    The Blue Moon

These were some of the dive bars of the day... my faves were the old Red Robin in the 60's and early 70's before the remodel and the sell out to the franchise developers... [Check out the pic ~ this was a cool ass dive bar with a great view of the water]... and during the same period before the remodels, the Attic and the Red Onion in Madison Park were hole in wall [high school and up] dive bar paradises... these were standing room only hell holes that were a lot of fun.. The RO bathroom was epically bad and featured the legendary quote "Jill blows goats" sign along the disgusting toilet cubical wall.

The most violently interesting dive bar where you had the feeling that a punch-out might take place at any minute was at the fabled Place Pigalle Tavern in the Pike Place Market.. a really edgy late night place where as a special bonus the patrons would stick a leg out the window and climb up a rickety steel ladder [with no landing beneath and that was 5 floors above a descending concrete stairway below] in order to get more stoned on the roof. The roof also had a guy wire strung across it that you could trip on to go over the edge to add to the excitement.

Besides the Doghouse hockey bar which might have been the spookiest place in town,
    in the early 70's the most striking dive bar experiences were to be had at Mother's bar on Capital Hill.

At that point, the guy that owned it [George] was a charming and generous drug connection overlord and the place was swimming with drugs, druggies, and a wild assortment of locals including beaten up girl friends that were sporting black eyes.

My friend was a bartender there and he invited me in for a beer so I went... After I sat down George comes out and introduces himself and says that my friend [the bartender] says that you like speed, and puts a giant salad bowl on the bar in front of me which has about 1,000 black beauties in it.

This is like 4 in the afternoon and there are maybe 10 people in the bar at this point. So i laughed at the unexpected offering and said yah... i do, and took one. No no, he says, take a big handful, no charge ~ and then disappears into his office behind the bar leaving the bowl behind.

As the afternoon blended into the early evening the actors were straight out of Carrol's Through the Looking Glass and if you were lucky like I was and hung around and participated in the action, fish were jumping into the boat and later you were going to hook up with a wild looking girl and get invited to an exclusive heroin get together, and all of the excitement that follows ~ including death threats to dealers that were cutting drugs that got dragged in after the burn and at gun point, had to beg for their life.

As a bystander that had simply gone along for the ride with a super hot but absolutely weird girl this was an interesting experience but according to my friend that worked at the bar was just another night at Mothers.

I still loved the 90s version of Red Robbin. It was still the OG location and felt way cooler than the shopping mall Red Robbin I grew up frequenting at North County Fair Mall close to @RaceBannon 's house.
    The 90s version? My two dads talk about the 60s version where it was known as just The Red.
  • Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I didn’t read the whole thread, but if the Tug Inn wasn’t mentioned you should be ashamed. I know it’s closed, but still.

If you’re ever near the Portland airport I defy you to find a divier dive than the Glass House.

https://katu.com/news/local/police-investigate-shooting-at-glass-house-tavern-in-northeast-portland

https://www.oregonlive.com/portland/2018/10/one_dead_one_injured_in_shooti.html
  • Options
    chuck said:

Then how would you classify Guiness, Scottie?

I know "if it's not Scottish, It's Crap!" But still.