Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Give Me Your Best Argument Against Voter ID

Comments

• Options
    HustlinOwlHustlinOwl Member Posts: 953
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    thechatch said:

You cannot legally function as an adult in the US without some form of identification. I have never met someone that doesn’t have a government ID. It’s almost impossible to be a legal citizen and not have.

Yet, it isn’t required to vote in national elections.

Someone needs to explain to me why that is acceptable.
    It's required where I vote. I'm not saying your're wrong, but would like to hear from some people that didn't require some kind of ID to vote.
  • Options
    WestlinnDuckWestlinnDuck Member Posts: 14,299
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Standard Supporter

thechatch said:

You cannot legally function as an adult in the US without some form of identification. I have never met someone that doesn’t have a government ID. It’s almost impossible to be a legal citizen and not have.

It's required where I vote. I'm not saying your're wrong, but would like to hear from some people that didn't require some kind of ID to vote.
    Me.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 42,256
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

thechatch said:

You mean all those who tacitly endorse cheating?

• Options
    HHuskyHHusky Member Posts: 19,399
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    thechatch said:

HHusky said:

Apparently the best argument FOR voter ID is that most people can get ID pretty easily.

And that prevents the commission of a felony that no one ever commits anyway.

Strong work, ladies!

This is patently dishonest.

The argument for government ID is to restore the public’s faith in our electoral process.

The argument against it is......what, exactly?

We are nearly 4 pages in and you have offered fuck all as a response.
    What other conspiracy theories should we cater to ‘cuz the nuts need to have their “faith” restored?
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 102,404
    Swaye's Wigwam
    HHusky said:

thechatch said:

HHusky said:

Apparently the best argument FOR voter ID is that most people can get ID pretty easily.

Strong work, ladies!

The argument for government ID is to restore the public’s faith in our electoral process.

What other conspiracy theories should we cater to ‘cuz the nuts need to have their “faith” restored?
    How about a Mueller investigation of fake collusion?
  • Options

HHusky said:

thechatch said:

HHusky said:

Strong work, ladies!

Not enough evidence to prove criminality beyond a reasonable doubt is the new “exoneration”.
  • Options
    GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,147
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    edited March 2021
    thechatch said:

HHusky said:

Strong work, ladies!

I think most people acknowledge that having a valid ID to vote is a common sense requirement on the face of it.

The argument you're looking for that's against it is that it's a solution in search of a problem. The argument continues that there is no material threat of voter fraud given the inherent obstacles to orchestrating it at a meaningful level. So in practice a lot of people who are otherwise eligible voters but live in states/regions that have poor access to obtaining valid IDs (unreasonable distances to DOL offices in some counties, lack of transportation for low income prospective voters, lack of available free time to make the journey, minimal open hours of DOL offices, etc) end up not getting the IDs. All of this ultimately creates a disincentive for voting that disproportionately impacts lower income folks. Philosophically, these people believe that encouraging more people voting is something that strengthens a democracy.

There are plenty of other considerations that round out the argument, such as some states' very arbitrary enforcement of what constitutes "valid ID" for voting purposes, but that's the jist of it. If you don't believe any of the above assumptions, especially around voter fraud not being a material risk, then you probably won't find this argument very persuasive. Unsurprisingly, about 95% of the Tug is going to be in that camp.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter

thechatch said:

HHusky said:

Strong work, ladies!

I think most people acknowledge that having a valid ID to vote is a common sense requirement on the face of it.

The argument you're looking for that's against it is that it's a solution in search of a problem. The argument continues that there is no material threat of voter fraud given the inherent obstacles to orchestrating it at a meaningful level. So in practice a lot of people who are otherwise eligible voters but live in states/regions that have poor access to obtaining valid IDs (unreasonable distances to DOL offices in some counties, lack of transportation for low income prospective voters, lack of available free time to make the journey, minimal open hours of DOL offices, etc) end up not getting the IDs. All of this ultimately creates a disincentive for voting that disproportionately impacts lower income folks. Philosophically, these people believe that encouraging more people voting is something that strengthens a democracy.

There are plenty of other considerations that round out the argument, such as some states' very arbitrary enforcement of what constitutes "valid ID" for voting purposes, but that's the jist of it. If you don't believe any of the above assumptions, especially around voter fraud not being a material risk, then you probably won't find this argument very persuasive. Unsurprisingly, about 95% of the Tug is going to be in that camp.
    How about ID to fly? Just another solution in search of a problem?
  • Options

thechatch said:

HHusky said:

Strong work, ladies!

How about ID to fly? Just another solution in search of a problem?
    So "Whatabout flying?!" instead of engaging with the post.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 42,256
    edited March 2021
    HHusky said:

thechatch said:

HHusky said:

Strong work, ladies!

Fucktard7
  • Options
    SFGbobSFGbob Member Posts: 31,922
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    HHusky said:

Strong work, ladies!

Why make people show ID when they enter a Federal building Dazzler? There no evidence that it prevents any crime so why do it?
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    HHusky said:

thechatch said:

HHusky said:

Strong work, ladies!

Hands Up Don't shoot? White Supremacists are attacking Asians? George Floyd was killed because he was black? Pick one.
  • Options
    HustlinOwlHustlinOwl Member Posts: 953
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes

thechatch said:

Me.
    So you walked into vote and said I'm dumbass and no issues?
  • Options
    Standard Supporter

thechatch said:

Me.
    So you walked into vote and said I'm dumbass and no issues?
    Nope. Just mailed in my ballot and didn't vote for any dumbasses like you did. You suck at this.
  • Options
    TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,780
    HHusky said:

Strong work, ladies!

H stands here before us and declares that all U.S. elections are air-tight with no instances of fraud anywhere.

None. Not one.

Congrats, H. You're as honest as Ferdinand Marcos.
  • Options

HHusky said:

Strong work, ladies!

H stands here before us and declares that all U.S. elections are air-tight with no instances of fraud anywhere.

What a fucking retard. Seriously, you're giving Sled and DJ a run for their money.

Try reading for comprehension sometime, TurdBrain.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    HHusky said:

HHusky said:

Strong work, ladies!

What a fucking retard. Seriously, you're giving Sled and DJ a run for their money.

Try reading for comprehension sometime, TurdBrain.
    Try answering a fucking question for once in your pathetic life Dazzler. Or you could just continue to fluff Flea.
  • Options
    thechatchthechatch Member Posts: 5,682
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Steaming toward page 5 and HH still has nothing to offer. What a useless fucking hack you are.
  • Options
    thechatch said:

Steaming toward page 5 and HH still has nothing to offer. What a useless fucking hack you are.

Madam, voter impersonation isn't happening. Your refusal to engage with that basic truth is telling.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    HHusky said:

HHusky said:

thechatch said:

HHusky said:

Strong work, ladies!

Not enough evidence to prove criminality beyond a reasonable doubt is the new “exoneration”.
    Not having enough evidence to charge someone or to even make a case is the new "guilty" when you prosecute them in the press. Remember now, this Kunt holds himself out to be a HUGE defender of our norms and traditions. No need to make your case in a court of law, just prosecute them in the press.