Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Academis questions for Creep

Comments

• Options
    whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,273
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Standard Supporter

Swaye said:

Woof said:

As a fellow Virginia resident, unless she's getting into McIntire, I agree that UW is probably better for the quant-ish stuff.

For lowly liberal arts degrees, UVA or William and Mary are definitely better. UW is a relatively unknown quantity out here.

Penn State is the ASU of the Northeast.

Mostly true. If "lowly liberal arts degrees" include physics, psychology, sociology and math (just off the top of my head), and a smattering of other stuff, UW is actually better than UVa, and I'd expect it's better than W&M across the board ... at least in terms of department rankings, which is driven by research; something with which W&M can't compete with UW.

UVa is going to have the prestige edge amongst the snooty smarty crowds, and it's better than UW in several/some things; and it's overall more selective and harder to get into than UW. So the Wall Street people will like it more, as just one example of how that plays out.

Comp. Sci. or anything in the health sciences and UW is clearly better school. You're right that not everybody will know that, but at that level uninformed you shouldn't care.
    Agree with all of this, but to 99% of the world a UVA degree is an elite degree. UW is not. I say this as a UW grad (undergrad). UVA, whether deserved or not, is the east coast Berkeley (whether deserved or not). But maybe that is what you were saying anyway. English isn't my first language. And neither is Cuban.
    We speak Cuban here engin. I thought we? were clear at the time of the transfer of power.

Agreed; UVa is the Berkeley and UNC Chapel Hill is the UCLA. The east coast doesn't have a lot of great public universities outside of the academies, which is a different kettle of fish altogether. The midwest and west are where that game is played best. Florida has become a very solid public U, as has Georgia. But they would suffer the same "ok" reputation rep as UW. UVa and UNC are acceptable to the academis elites. As far as publics, Cal is the better school, followed somewhat closely by Michigan, just IMO.
    Georgia Tech would like a word. To me GaTech is the 2nd best east coast public after UVa, and the best at anything science or quantitative.

Penn State was ranked in the 60s last I recall. It's not awful. Maryland is.... ok. But I do agree with the premise, for as many people live up in the Northeast corridor there are precious few great public universities for them.
  • Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,584
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker

Swaye said:

Woof said:

As a fellow Virginia resident, unless she's getting into McIntire, I agree that UW is probably better for the quant-ish stuff.

For lowly liberal arts degrees, UVA or William and Mary are definitely better. UW is a relatively unknown quantity out here.

Mostly true. If "lowly liberal arts degrees" include physics, psychology, sociology and math (just off the top of my head), and a smattering of other stuff, UW is actually better than UVa, and I'd expect it's better than W&M across the board ... at least in terms of department rankings, which is driven by research; something with which W&M can't compete with UW.

UVa is going to have the prestige edge amongst the snooty smarty crowds, and it's better than UW in several/some things; and it's overall more selective and harder to get into than UW. So the Wall Street people will like it more, as just one example of how that plays out.

Comp. Sci. or anything in the health sciences and UW is clearly better school. You're right that not everybody will know that, but at that level uninformed you shouldn't care.
    Agree with all of this, but to 99% of the world a UVA degree is an elite degree. UW is not. I say this as a UW grad (undergrad). UVA, whether deserved or not, is the east coast Berkeley (whether deserved or not). But maybe that is what you were saying anyway. English isn't my first language. And neither is Cuban.
    We speak Cuban here engin. I thought we? were clear at the time of the transfer of power.

Agreed; UVa is the Berkeley and UNC Chapel Hill is the UCLA. The east coast doesn't have a lot of great public universities outside of the academies, which is a different kettle of fish altogether. The midwest and west are where that game is played best. Florida has become a very solid public U, as has Georgia. But they would suffer the same "ok" reputation rep as UW. UVa and UNC are acceptable to the academis elites. As far as publics, Cal is the better school, followed somewhat closely by Michigan, just IMO.
    When I lived out east everyone thought it was super weird I'd gone to a public school for high school and a state uni

I was like uhh I live within 2 miles of motorola microchip honeywell and intel. My school was like half asian.

I didn't realize that everyone had to go to private schools or you'll be stuck with the ghetto trash out east.
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    edited January 2021
    Maybe because I live in nyc, but I feel like uva is on a decline (like wake forest 15 years ago) Also schools like Emory seems to be more up and coming
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,741
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    edited January 2021
    FireCohen said:

Maybe because I live in nyc, but I feel like uva is on a decline (like wake forest 15 years ago) Also schools like Emory seems to be more up and coming

Emory is a great school. So is Wake Forest. They're both tough to get into and have healthy endowments. Wake has a beautiful campus. Daughter had a full ride (as in, zero out of pocket, including room and board) to go to grad school there. Turned it down for Brown. FYFMFE.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,328
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    whlinder said:

Swaye said:

Woof said:

Georgia Tech would like a word. To me GaTech is the 2nd best east coast public after UVa, and the best at anything science or quantitative.

Penn State was ranked in the 60s last I recall. It's not awful. Maryland is.... ok. But I do agree with the premise, for as many people live up in the Northeast corridor there are precious few great public universities for them.
    I knew a Georgia Tech grad back in the late 70s. He was a nerd before nerds were cool. Really smart

UVa gets a lot of mileage out of Thomas Jefferson in my humble opinion from afar
  • Options
    FireCohen said:

Not sure I'd agree with that; but there are a small handful of things I don't know.
  • Options

Swaye said:

Woof said:

When I lived out east everyone thought it was super weird I'd gone to a public school for high school and a state uni

I was like uhh I live within 2 miles of motorola microchip honeywell and intel. My school was like half asian.

I didn't realize that everyone had to go to private schools or you'll be stuck with the ghetto trash out east.
    That is the general presumption. Private school is a bigger deal there, high school and college.
  • Options
    edited January 2021

FireCohen said:

Emory is a great school. So is Wake Forest. They're both tough to get into and have a healthy endowments. Wake has a beautiful campus. Daughter had a full ride (as in, zero out of pocket, including room and board) to go to grad school there. Turned it down for Brown. FYFMFE.
    No i am not doubting the education. Just elite job placement. Emory probably places more kids into wall street than UVA and wake forest combined
  • Options
    whlinder said:

Swaye said:

Woof said:

GT is great at what it's great at: Engineering and related areas. It's a great school, but I'm not sure I'd put it over UNC Chapel Hill. At best along side it as equals.
  • Options
    FireCohen said:

FireCohen said:

Emory is a great school. So is Wake Forest. They're both tough to get into and have a healthy endowments. Wake has a beautiful campus. Daughter had a full ride (as in, zero out of pocket, including room and board) to go to grad school there. Turned it down for Brown. FYFMFE.
    No i am not doubting the education. Just elite job placement. Emory probably places more kids into wall street than UVA and wake forest combined
    That would not surprise me. Emory is also just a "hot" school right now. Those things ebb and flow, but with the money they have I don't see them moving down any time soon.
  • Options

whlinder said:

Swaye said:

Woof said:

GT is great at what it's great at: Engineering and related areas. It's a great school, but I'm not sure I'd put it over UNC Chapel Hill. At best along side it as equals.
    Definitely would put unc over gt in every regard unless it is engineering. Vandy’s prestige is a fucking myth everyone talks about it just never seen any vandy grads that are notable. I would say only school in the south is legit as fuck is duke
  • Options

FireCohen said:

Emory is a great school. So is Wake Forest. They're both tough to get into and have healthy endowments. Wake has a beautiful campus. Daughter had a full ride (as in, zero out of pocket, including room and board) to go to grad school there. Turned it down for Brown. FYFMFE.
    Hard to pass up a brown education
  • Options
    FireCohen said:

dflea said:

FireCohen said:

FireCohen said:

A Brown education with with dad writing the checks.

Smart girl.
    Yeah, fuck @creepycoug and his wallet
    There's a lot of money in that white powder.
  • Options
    FireCohen said:

FireCohen said:

I never the blame the kids ....
  • Options
    FireCohen said:

whlinder said:

Swaye said:

Woof said:

Definitely would put unc over gt in every regard unless it is engineering. Vandy’s prestige is a fucking myth everyone talks about it just never seen any vandy grads that are notable. I would say only school in the south is legit as fuck is duke
    Duke is legit, and also an example of the reality that money can buy you a lot of history. One of my Dad's old biz partners went there, and he used to joke that he was glad he caught the elevator when it was on the first floor. It was at one point the school for southern kids who couldn't crack Vandy. Then one day they said, "fuck it. we're going to be top ten in everything that matters," and they did it. Combine that with a crazy nice campus, and boom ... Duke is the Harvard of the Souwf.
  • Options
    Fishpo31Fishpo31 Member Posts: 2,250
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    The "elite school" culture is something I have seen through friends' experiences. A good friend went to Princeton out of HS (he wanted to go to Montana for football, but his parents said "NO"), and he flunked out after two years. His roommates were east-coast / foreign prep school rich boys, bowls full of coke, driving Porsches, and he was a kid from EWA driving a 76 Nova...he started going into NYC all the time to punk clubs. He never did graduate, but he turned out ok, retired at 37 after working on something called "Windows"...to think I considered going to Dartmouth, I probably would have been home by the first Christmas. Or a hedge fund manager...