Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Academis questions for Creep

14567810»

Comments

• Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,584
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker

RoadTrip said:

Wow...thank you so much!

But he's for sure leaving college as a virgin. So there's that tradeoff.
    The odds he's a virgin now are slim to none. People tend to lose it in high school.
    It grows back
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,834
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

whlinder said:

RoadTrip said:

So my son with a medium case of dyslexia, has been getting into some ok colleges. I didn't think his grades were good enough to get into many schools but I was wrong. I guess he wrote an amazing essay on his struggles with dyslexia which must be making a difference. What is your advice between Alabama, Ol Miss, Arizona and St Mary's (Moraga Ca)? He's waiting to hear from Oregon (sacrilege), ASU and one or two others.

A friend’s son goes to Ole Miss.

Too much hot pussy is a thing at ole Miss.
    The hottest MILF on our street went to Ole Miss. Hotty Toddy!
    One of the travel bucket list items is to attend pre game on the Grove.

Mrs. Throbber v2.0 thinks it's for the SEC football experience.....

H'eh h'eh h'eh.

• Options
    HoustonHuskyHoustonHusky Member Posts: 5,954
    First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic 5 Awesomes
    edited February 2021
    HHusky said:

HHusky said:

HHusky said:

Fishpo31 said:

@creepycoug I hated math/science (my Pops was an engineer and math wiz with 1 semester of college, but got his education building landing strips in the South Pacific during WWII). When I got to grad school, (at age 24), I ate it up. There is no way I could have gone thru a math / science curriculum as an 18 year old...I wasn't mature enough to handle it.

I think a lot of kids run away from math around the time of middle school, because that's the time during which the serious kids hunker down and start doing the harder stuff, and incidentally that's the time when the public schools start offering different math tracks. So if you're like 75% of 13 to 15 year olds, you don't want to bust your ass doing hard math, so you leave it and, for most, never come back to it.

They have done studies that show that girls who mentally check out of math almost always do so in the 8th grade, and they never come back. Tragic. That has so much to do with caring about what boys think of them, not wanting to show them up in class, and dealing with asshole teachers. Private school has an edge here; because you're going to achieve some level of math curriculum or you're not graduating. There's no "math for _________" at a real college prep school. Public school is different.

The point of this is that there are a lot of people with innate talent for mathematics who, because of various life circumstances, aren't ready to be married to it at 12 or 13, and as soon as they make that decision, their fate is sealed. I would venture to say this happens to a whole bunch of people.
    Its really interesting to me that the IT field is almost entirely dudes yet I believe the amount of women in the sciences hasn't actually changed. They just go into medicine.

I cant really think of any real reason it should be guys over girls in the tech stuff. Uncle Bob's talk on the future of programming was interesting because apparently until the mid to late 80s it was about 50 50
    My middle child is in about the middle of her PhD program in biology--there's some longer name than "biology" for her area of study, but I was a liberal arts guy without a clue about the nuance. At least in her field and where she's been, I don't see a wide gender gap. But we attended a lot of "STEM for girls" programs when she was younger. There was definitely an emphasis to get girls to pursue STEM majors.
    I'm saying that there arent girls in math and engineering. They go into medical, biology, etc.
    My older daughter is going to be a freshman at UA in Tucson this fall. Full ride academic scholarship for 4 years as long as she keeps a 3.5 so we? only have to pay room and board. She’ll be in pre-Med/Biology. Could have gone to more prestigious schools but she said she’d rather be one of the smarter ones in her program and also get out of the Portland rain. Basically admitted to being academically lazy but it’s her choice. She got a 34 composite on her ACT and straight As while in HS and is taking all college credit course now online so can’t really complain.
    It's just her undergraduate degree. That's the right move. For kids who have good credentials who are willing to go out-of-state, schools are often willing to do a lot to build their geographic profiles. Congrats!

My oldest got that exact same offer at Pitt, but Pitt didn't offer a Bachelors of Music degree.
    That was one of the points we all agreed on. If she goes to med school or graduate school, that’s where the school will matter more. In the meantime, getting a PAC-12 degree mostly paid for while playing in the sun all year sounds pretty good to her after being in her room taking classes since last March. Most of her good friends are also going out of state, which seems odd to me during a pandemic but maybe they are all just that sick of us parents after a year of limited outside the house options.
    Re: grad school (by contrast to professional schools like Law or Medicine)

Get into a funded PhD program.

My youngest was just advised, correctly I think, that she should not consider grad school except as a funded PhD. Basically, get paid to research what interests you while looking at the career prospects. You aren't making big money, but you're not digging a deep hole for your credential either.

I note that my middle one has been almost entirely self-supporting in her program. Same experience for one of my nephews.
    This.

When I went to grad school it was amazing the $$$ they threw at you...it was also amazing the time commitment required (the 3 primary schools I looked at averaged 8 years in the PhD program...when I visited one I met a few students who were over 10 and counting. Can't imagine paying for that long). Maybe I should have done it but I would have become an alcoholic...ended going through a specialized Masters Program at one of them that still paid me and got out in a little over a year.

Funny thing is when I went to work I was still in R&D...everyone assumed I had a PhD so it really didn't make a difference after the first year.