Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Husky Jacks open thread [2021]

Comments

• Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,726
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited September 2021

With how long before the game the players arrive at the stadium, who exactly would this be broadcasting UW's awesomeness to? The tailgaters who already think UW is awesome? There would be no TV crew there yet or anything.

It would be the entry of the telecast which is where 81% of the audience is. They do the dock shot now along with the fish toss and the Needle

Something to add to it

Edit to say on tape
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Or

Instead of running out of the tunnel 5 minutes before the game hit the beach in a landing craft as Fetters suggests. I like that idea
  • Options
    LogisticsLogistics Member Posts: 110
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    dnc said:

Logistics said:

This Coker fella seems to be out to lunch. Logistics is not an issue. However, the team showing up on an Argosy Cruises boat would look cheesy. Unless, this Coker guy knows of some other types of boat that could haul the entire team to the stadium.

How about not worrying about the silly "greatest setting" marketing ploy and instead prioritizing winning? No one cares about the setting, view, etc. if you keep fielding mediocre teams.

Nothing is more trite than "the greatest setting in college football".
    Love this account, hate this point.

Yes the greatest setting thing is way overdone.

But bringing the team in off the water would be epic. Even if it were just once or twice a year it would badass.

This would be letting the setting speak for itself, completely unlike sending a helmet car around the field with a flag declaring "Greatest Setting".
    Why so serious, Mr. Bully?

I saw an opportunity to bash Coker and took it. If the image of the team arriving on an Argosy boat is not funny, then I can't help you.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

With how long before the game the players arrive at the stadium, who exactly would this be broadcasting UW's awesomeness to? The tailgaters who already think UW is awesome? There would be no TV crew there yet or anything.

I’ve never watched a broadcast that covered it live but I’ve seen Clemson players rub that damn rock a million tims.

There’s this amazing thing called recording these days.

And it would be an awesome spectacle for those who see it in person. Including recruits.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    chuck said:

NEsnake12 said:

TV crews get to the stadium at least a day early to interview coaches, set up equipment, and film scenery shots. They aren’t strapping go pros to the salmon tossers at Pike Place in the middle of the game. They would absolutely be there to film the team on the boat even if it was 2-3 hours before kickoff.

If you do it for a nationally televised, non-shitty weather September game (think next year when Michigan St visits), then it’s a perfect pregame video package to show leading up to kickoff. Just don’t do it for a gross rainy November game where everyone looks like they’re freezing their asses off
    I think it's a great idea and not thst difficult logistically. I actually think it would be popular enough as a spectacle that shows like GameDay would feature it even if UW was playing a shit opponent on pac 12 network that day.

Worth the effort. Fans are homos and gobble up shit like this.
    Know your audience
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
  • Options
    Neighbor2972Neighbor2972 Member Posts: 4,298
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    dnc said:

I’ve never watched a broadcast that covered it live but I’ve seen Clemson players rub that damn rock a million tims.

And it would be an awesome spectacle for those who see it in person. Including recruits.
    This but on a boat would be pretty awesome, ABC usually does a good job with this. But only for really big games, otherwise it'll look dumb.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0xAfzNlsnE
  • Options
    dannarcdannarc Member Posts: 2,280
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    edited September 2021

Or

Instead of running out of the tunnel 5 minutes before the game hit the beach in a landing craft as Fetters suggests. I like that idea

• Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,324
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Okay, team arrives via boat. I'll admit, I think it would be cool, too. That's because I'm an over-40 Huskies fan. Old people also like to go to parades, which is weird.

I don't think there's a recruit in the country who would say, "Yeah, at this school over here, I get a new car and $100K... but I don't get to ride to a game on a real boat!"

If we want to really impress recruits, I suggest an alternate plan: Take whatever money it would cost to put on such a spectacle and--now hear me out--give it to the recruits. That is what other schools are doing and why they are going there.

That and winning. Speaking of which, does breaking normal gameday routine for a publicity stunt (almost certainly in a big early-September P5 non-conference matchup, which the Huskies haven't been so great at winning lately) help or hurt the almost-certainly-more-beneficial-to-recruiting goal of actually winning the game? Would it be more or less helpful if they also put a live tiger in a cage on the boat?
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,644
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Okay, team arrives via boat. I'll admit, I think it would be cool, too. That's because I'm an over-40 Huskies fan. Old people also like to go to parades, which is weird.

I don't think there's a recruit in the country who would say, "Yeah, at this school over here, I get a new car and $100K... but I don't get to ride to a game on a real boat!"

If we want to really impress recruits, I suggest an alternate plan: Take whatever money it would cost to put on such a spectacle and--now hear me out--give it to the recruits. That is what other schools are doing and why they are going there.

That and winning. Speaking of which, does breaking normal gameday routine for a publicity stunt (almost certainly in a big early-September P5 non-conference matchup, which the Huskies haven't been so great at winning lately) help or hurt the almost-certainly-more-beneficial-to-recruiting goal of actually winning the game? Would it be more or less helpful if they also put a live tiger in a cage on the boat?

Sounds like you want the steak without the sizzle.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

Small minded thinking. You put on the event, which you just admitted appeals to old people. Old people have old money.

Old people donate old money.

Give old money to young people.

Profit.
  • Options
    Ice_HolmvikIce_Holmvik Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,910
    Swaye's Wigwam

dnc said:

This but on a boat would be pretty awesome, ABC usually does a good job with this. But only for really big games, otherwise it'll look dumb.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0xAfzNlsnE
    Video called it. DeShawn Watson WAS hungry.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam