Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

MarinersFS

Comments

• Options
    SteveInSheltonSteveInShelton Member Posts: 1,611
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    edited January 2014
    Mariners ownership doesn't want a winning team because it breeds classless, thuggish fans that will just cause problems at games. A good family atmosphere is much better than winning.
  • Options
    dhdawgdhdawg Member Posts: 13,326
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker First Anniversary

Mariners ownership doesn't want a winning team because it breeds classless, thuggish fans that will just cause problems at games. A good family atmosphere is much better than winning.

I know that's sarcasm but they legitimately care more about the ballpark experience than winning ball games
  • Options
    MisterEmMisterEm Member Posts: 6,685
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    dhdawg said:

I know that's sarcasm but they legitimately care more about the ballpark experience than winning ball games
    Matches the expectations of the Seattle scarve-wearing hipsters who watch that cesspool of a team.

• Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    MisterEm said:

dhdawg said:

Matches the expectations of the Seattle scarve-wearing hipsters who watch that cesspool of a team.

huh?

• Options
    edited January 2014
    it doesn't look like they're going to make any more moves. So the lineup is probably going to be
    1. Miller SS
    2. Seager 3B
    3. Cano 2B
    4. Hart DH
    decent 1-2-3-4
    then the fucking dreckfest begins
    5. Morrison LF
    6. Smoak 1B (this loser should've been gone 2 years ago)
    7. Zunino C
    8. Ackley CF
    9. Romero RF

SP:
    Hernandez
    Iwakuma
    Walker
    Paxton
    #5 will be the only move they make
    Rotation isn't horrible

Bullpen is awful, not one player in the pen isn't making limited salary, could've easily signed a Downs, or a Boone Logan, or a Balfour for barely over 5 million.

the best I can see is 78-86
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,888
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    dhdawg said:

Exactly. They've hyped rally fries and kiddie nonsense for a long time, probably getting back to the late 90s, but back then they were actually winning and making the playoffs. At this pt. even some of the Marineroogs? can see they only care about profit. I fell for the b******* in the 2009-2010 offseason. They were coming off of a winning year and the FA acquisitions were supposed to make them a 90 won team. Then they bombed in April. Anyone who falls for their smokescreen deserves to pay for 10 dollar beers and listen to Fleenor for the rest of their life
  • Options
    edited January 2014

dhdawg said:

Exactly. They've hyped rally fries and kiddie nonsense for a long time, probably getting back to the late 90s, but back then they were actually winning and making the playoffs. At this pt. even some of the Marineroogs? can see they only care about profit. I fell for the b******* in the 2009-2010 offseason. They were coming off of a winning year and the FA acquisitions were supposed to make them a 90 won team. Then they bombed in April. Anyone who falls for their smokescreen deserves to pay for 10 dollar beers and listen to Fleenor for the rest of their life
    I thought they had reached an alltime low but I saw the other day they're doing Macklemore bobble head night. I'm a baseball fan, it was my first passion as a kid when it came to sports. I try to support them but they make it really tough
  • Options
    phineasphineas Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,724
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited January 2014
    dhdawg said:

dhdawg said:

I thought they had reached an alltime low but I saw the other day they're doing Macklemore bobble head night. I'm a baseball fan, it was my first passion as a kid when it came to sports. I try to support them but they make it really tough
    This is a joke right? Macklemore bobblehead?

tell me this is a joke?
  • Options
    phineasphineas Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,724
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I had to see it to believe it. A macklemore bobble head night

thats worse than desperation. Im embarrassed to be a fan
  • Options
    dhdawg said:

it doesn't look like they're going to make any more moves. So the lineup is probably going to be
    1. Miller SS
    2. Seager 3B
    3. Cano 2B
    4. Hart DH
    decent 1-2-3-4
    5. Morrison LF
    7. Zunino C
    8. Ackley CF
    9. Romero RF

SP:
    Hernandez
    Iwakuma
    Walker
    Paxton
    Rotation isn't horrible

Bullpen is awful, not one player in the pen isn't making limited salary, could've easily signed a Downs, or a Boone Logan, or a Balfour for barely over 5 million.

Great 164 game season as always.
  • Options

dhdawg said:

1. Miller SS
    2. Seager 3B
    3. Cano 2B
    4. Hart DH
    decent 1-2-3-4
    5. Morrison LF
    7. Zunino C
    8. Ackley CF
    9. Romero RF

SP:
    Hernandez
    Iwakuma
    Walker
    Paxton
    Rotation isn't horrible

Great 164 game season as always.
    Shit. 78-84
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    1) It's popular to rip on Bavasi's signings of Sexson and Beltre. Sexson was fine for his first 2 years. Beltre is a potential future HOFer depending on how the rest of his career plays out. Many made Beltre the poster child for Mariner failures instead of realizing that there wasn't anything around him and as a result he pressed trying to do too much. We asked him to hit 3rd and 4th when he's a 5th or 6th hitter.

2) I like the moves to get Hart and Morrison this offseason. Problem is that you are foolish to have expectations for them without solid backup plans given their injury histories. We don't have backup plans. Smoak isn't part of the solution.

3) I have a feeling that Ackley will have a breakout year this year.

4) They really need to move Nick Franklin into something useful.

5) Other than the fact that with Walker and Paxton in the rotation you are going to watch their innings, the rotation is looking to be a solid strength that should keep you in games (particularly if they would invest in going after a solid #3 that takes the pressure off of Walker and Paxton ... but that would be fucking smart and not FS

6) In today's game of baseball, you are a fucking idiot as a GM if you don't invest in a solid bullpen ... it's often the difference between good teams and bad teams.
  • Options
    franklin will probably be moved before the season begins, I just can't see a stop for him.
    Ackley could break out, but he just isn't an OFer.

There is not one OF out of Gutierrez, Saunders, Morrison, Hart, Ackley, and Almonte that can start on a playoff caliber team, not one.

The bullpen is garbage, I repeat they are paying minimum salary to every single member, look at what having a good bullpen did for the pirates last year.

Jack Z has been advertised as some scouting genius, but the only draft pick that has actually proved he can produce at a ML level is Seager, so his drafting is probably average.

He can't make a trade to save his life, and his FA signings have been a disaster
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    In today's game, a good rotation + a strong bullpen makes up for a mediocre offense ... particularly if you are pitching in a pitchers park like Safeco.

You'd think that what Tampa and Oakland do is fucking rocket science.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Tequilla said:

In today's game, a good rotation + a strong bullpen makes up for a mediocre offense ... particularly if you are pitching in a pitchers park like Safeco.

You'd think that what Tampa and Oakland do is fucking rocket science.

You need at least a mediocre offense, not a historically bad one. Not to mention, the Mariners rotation isn't as good as either of those teams, and their bullpen is a disaster compared to theirs.

• Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Tequilla said:

1) It's popular to rip on Bavasi's signings of Sexson and Beltre. Sexson was fine for his first 2 years. Beltre is a potential future HOFer depending on how the rest of his career plays out.

I stopped reading here.

TequillaFS
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment Testing 1
    edited January 2014

Tequilla said:

1) It's popular to rip on Bavasi's signings of Sexson and Beltre. Sexson was fine for his first 2 years. Beltre is a potential future HOFer depending on how the rest of his career plays out.

I stopped reading here.

TequillaFS
    I almost did too but I went and looked at Beltre's stats again. He had a pretty good average WAR in his 5 years with the M's and has 376 HR's at age 34. He could be a HOF based on stats but I don't think the BBWAA would elect him because of steroid rumors.

Sexson....uhhhh. No. Not good at all.
  • Options
    I'm assuming at this point that Beltre was another Biogenesis client that got away with it.

His sudden resurgence with a known doping team speaks volumes.
  • Options
    doogsinparadisedoogsinparadise Member Posts: 9,320
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Beltre's case is dependent on his being one of the best defensive third basemen in the history of the game. It's unlikely that he'd be elected, but not unbelievable.
  • Options

Beltre's case is dependent on his being one of the best defensive third basemen in the history of the game. It's unlikely that he'd be elected, but not unbelievable.

You would also have to ignore the significant statistical evidence that suggests that he's a juicer.