Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

MarinersFS

Comments

• Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    It's FS to say that Beltre isn't a potential HOFer without taking a look at what his numbers actually are. He's got a chance to get to 500 HRs. He'll end up having a top 20 amount of doubles in his career. His glove is/was elite. The steroid rumors and whatnot will dog any player that has played in the last 20 years.

Beltre was never the problem with the Mariners.

Everybody creams their sweatpants over Kyle Seager hoping that he'll put up more or less 30 and 100. Beltre did that. Yet, because he hit 48 HRs the year before coming to Seattle, everybody looked at that as what he should do EVERY year. Beltre's more or less shown over his career that he's more or less a 30 and 100 guy. That's who he is as a hitter.

It's not hard to make an argument that Beltre may be one of the Top 5 3B to ever play the game.
  • Options
    allpurpleallgoldallpurpleallgold Member Posts: 8,771
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Tequilla said:

It's FS to say that Beltre isn't a potential HOFer without taking a look at what his numbers actually are. He's got a chance to get to 500 HRs. He'll end up having a top 20 amount of doubles in his career. His glove is/was elite. The steroid rumors and whatnot will dog any player that has played in the last 20 years.

Everybody creams their sweatpants over Kyle Seager hoping that he'll put up more or less 30 and 100. Beltre did that. Yet, because he hit 48 HRs the year before coming to Seattle, everybody looked at that as what he should do EVERY year. Beltre's more or less shown over his career that he's more or less a 30 and 100 guy. That's who he is as a hitter.

It's not hard to make an argument that Beltre may be one of the Top 5 3B to ever play the game.

Possibly the worst post I've ever read. And I read death2ducks posts.
  • Options

Tequilla said:

Possibly the worst post I've ever read. And I read death2ducks posts.
    What about PLSS Redskins poasts?
  • Options
    APAG,

You can say that it's the worst post ever ... but at what point was anything in the post factually incorrect?
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

Beltre's case is dependent on his being one of the best defensive third basemen in the history of the game. It's unlikely that he'd be elected, but not unbelievable.

You would also have to ignore the significant statistical evidence that suggests that he's a juicer.
    Juicer or not, he will have a HOF caliber resume, which is pretty much all you can say about anyone these days. You also have to consider he's been a phenomenal defensive 3B for most of his career.

Contrary to the popular narrative, he was worth every penny the M's paid him, unlike just about every other high priced free agent they've signed in the past 10 years.
  • Options
    dhdawgdhdawg Member Posts: 13,326
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    The mariners SHOULD sign Morales, instead they are going to Sign a 33 year old juicer who's worthless outside of Texas. Cruz will be a complete waste of money
  • Options
    Wow, I actually agree with the Rodney signing, I guess even dreck organizations make good moves from time to time
  • Options
    Tequilla said:

APAG,

You can say that it's the worst post ever ... but at what point was anything in the post factually incorrect?

His career OPS is .812. Which is good for 365th all time. Top 5 third baseman of all time.
  • Options
    If he stopped playing today, he's a top 10 3B for sure. He's still got a few years to accumulate. Hard to say for sure where he'll end up ... but he'll end up somewhere in that discussion point.

If you want to look at a career OPS of .812, that's fine. How much of that is tied to the fact that he got to the big leagues at a super young age and that 2 of the parks where he played most of his career (Dodger Stadium and Safeco Field) are far from being hitter parks?

Beltre's a comfortable punching bag for most people that like to blame his contract and his "lack" of production in those years as why the Mariners weren't successful. Bottom line though is that he was the furthest thing from the Mariners problems over those years.
  • Options
    He's Robin Ventura.
  • Options
    Guti is out for the season.
    I think water is wet needs to be replaced by gutierrez is hurt. (GIH)
  • Options
    CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,493
    First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    edited February 2014
    dhdawg said:

Guti is out for the season.
    I think water is wet needs to be replaced by gutierrez is hurt. (GIH)

Yup, I was just about to say there is a better chance for water being dry than Guti being healthy.
  • Options

He's Robin Ventura.

Not a bad comp, actually. Beltre has 65.1 career WAR to Ventura's 56.8. Surprisingly, Ventura actually gets more value from his defense, so even if you don't trust defensive statistics Beltre comes out as the superior player.

The biggest difference is that Ventura is done while Beltre should have another 2 or 3 solid seasons in him. Beltre should end up in the 74-80 range in WAR, which is going to put him a couple orders of magnitude ahead of Ventura. If Beltre does hit 75ish, he'll be a lock for eventual inclusion into the Hall, baring strong steroid evidence. My guess is that over time the guys like Bagwell who are being kept out based purely on statistical suspicion will get in. Beltre as well.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

He's Robin Ventura.

Look at their stats, WAR, and defensive WAR. Beltre is far superior. I bet Beltre has another .300, 30 HR season this year too for another 5 in the WAR category. I don't know why you are underestimating Beltre. His last 3 years for the M's, he hit 25, 26, 25 HR's. If he played for Boston, Texas, or Chicago (like Ventura) then, he probably would have hit at least 30 HR's in those seasons.

• Options
    edited February 2014
    seriously though the guy does have a serious health problem and needs to retire, it's on the team for resigning the guy
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary

He's Robin Ventura without the asskicking by Nolan Ryan.

I can't believe how many fucking stupid poasters in this thread take Beltre's numbers at face value with respect to his Hall of Fame chances.

Dude was more obvious about his juicing than Edgar Martinez was.

• Options
    It's not IF you cheat ... it's whether you get CAUGHT cheating
  • Options

I can't believe how many fucking stupid poasters in this thread take Beltre's numbers at face value with respect to his Hall of Fame chances.

I don't actually agree, but who cares? You're comparing his numbers to a bunch of other dudes who were probably juicing, too. Steve Emtman probably roided. IDGAF.

• Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

A lot of them are juicing. Pitchers too. To speculate is fucking stupid.

• Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    dnc said:

I don't actually agree, but who cares? You're comparing his numbers to a bunch of other dudes who were probably juicing, too. Steve Emtman probably roided. IDGAF.

When it comes to the HOF, you're not comparing apples to apples.

That's why the Steroid Era sucks and it stinks and it sucks.