Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

MarinersFS

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/professional/cardinal-beat/la-russa-doesn-t-think-he-will-get-seattle-job/article_262c0c4f-2130-5bde-907f-394f484908c5.html
"we've done jack squat for ten years, why change anything"
-Mariners FO
the only reason La Russa isn't being hired is he isn't a yes man for howard lincoln

Comments

• Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,298
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    Hiring La Russa would actually increase expectations. If Seattleites are currently willing to attend AAA games at MLB prices, why make them care about winning?
  • Options
    It's ridiculous they are going to hire from within when this franchise needs some serious changes.

LaRussa would demand change and run this team like a baseball organization. Something we haven't seen since Lou/Gillick were in charge.
  • Options
    uw2010uw2010 Member Posts: 940
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Name Dropper
    "Absolute power corrupts absolutely."
  • Options
    dhdawgdhdawg Member Posts: 13,326
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker First Anniversary

The front office knew damn well when they signed Cano to an ARod deal, that it wouldn't do a fucking thing in improving their chance for the playoffs. However, the fanbase will give a "we suck, but at least the front office is trying" response. That is all the front office cares about in the end. They want a dumb fucking fanbase that will overpay to attend games and not demand anything of substance in return. In fact, the Mariner front office is probably the smartest group in baseball, because they got exactly what they wanted.

I used to be a fan of the Mariners, but after the Beltre and Sexson deals I was done being a fan. I did however follow them, thinking that maybe I could start liking them again, but after this last deal with Cano, I'm gone from that group. I now despise the Mariners, because of their lack of competitiveness at the front office level. I now realize that management is actually trying to miss the playoffs, while being just good enough to not be the worst. I hope they lose every fucking game next season. Seattleites deserve 0-162.

you hit the nail on the fucking head. Signing cano and no one else is not going to lead to 90+ wins. It's simply a ticket and jersey selling ploy, they're toying with this idiotic fanbase.
    I will say this at least mariner fans are better than doogs, they stopped going after a while. Expect crowds of under 10K a lot unless they magically start winning
  • Options
    dhdawg said:

The front office knew damn well when they signed Cano to an ARod deal, that it wouldn't do a fucking thing in improving their chance for the playoffs. However, the fanbase will give a "we suck, but at least the front office is trying" response. That is all the front office cares about in the end. They want a dumb fucking fanbase that will overpay to attend games and not demand anything of substance in return. In fact, the Mariner front office is probably the smartest group in baseball, because they got exactly what they wanted.

I used to be a fan of the Mariners, but after the Beltre and Sexson deals I was done being a fan. I did however follow them, thinking that maybe I could start liking them again, but after this last deal with Cano, I'm gone from that group. I now despise the Mariners, because of their lack of competitiveness at the front office level. I now realize that management is actually trying to miss the playoffs, while being just good enough to not be the worst. I hope they lose every fucking game next season. Seattleites deserve 0-162.

you hit the nail on the fucking head. Signing cano and no one else is not going to lead to 90+ wins. It's simply a ticket and jersey selling ploy, they're toying with this idiotic fanbase.
    I will say this at least mariner fans are better than doogs, they stopped going after a while. Expect crowds of under 10K a lot unless they magically start winning
    Didn't they average something like 22k last year without Cano? You give Seattleites too much credit. You will see 30k+ fans until about month 2, when Seattle is 10 games out, then you'll still get the 30k+ when Felix pitches. All cumulating to about a 25k average next year. Ownership will be very pleased, even after they go 62-100.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

dhdawg said:

Didn't they average something like 22k last year without Cano? You give Seattleites too much credit. You will see 30k+ fans until about month 2, when Seattle is 10 games out, then you'll still get the 30k+ when Felix pitches. All cumulating to about a 25k average next year. Ownership will be very pleased, even after they go 62-100.
    Disagree. No way Robinson Cano is worth 8k per game for a month.

• Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 102,432
    Swaye's Wigwam
  • Options
    dnc said:

dhdawg said:

Disagree. No way Robinson Cano is worth 8k per game for a month.

Remember that season ticket sales still make the team money even if the idiots who bought them don't show.
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Unless LaRussa is bringing steroids and HGH in the door with him, he wouldn't be helping the Mariners at all.
  • Options

dhdawg said:

I watched a lot last year, trust me there were some awful crowds especially in April and towards the end. They obviously won't average anything less than 20 but there will be some bad crowds
  • Options
    CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,493
    First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    I thought the Mariners might have gained some balls after the Cano signing and go out and pay out the ass for a couple other players to really get serious.... then of course they show you why they are the Mariners. Now Cano will come and be way overpayed and they will win the exact same amount of games they have been.
  • Options

I thought the Mariners might have gained some balls after the Cano signing and go out and pay out the ass for a couple other players to really get serious.... then of course they show you why they are the Mariners. Now Cano will come and be way overpayed and they will win the exact same amount of games they have been.

It cracks me up that the Mariners will pay Cano the same they could have paid Jacoby Ellsbury's and Carlos Beltran. FS
  • Options
    SteveInSheltonSteveInShelton Member Posts: 1,611
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    edited January 2014
    I love how when Jack Z (I like to call him that) was first hired, he was supposed to be the next "Tampa Bay" style GM who will build the team through superior scouting and getting cheap, undervalued talent. After completely failing at that he's now just a fat, bald, lazy piece of shit throwing out the entire budget on whichever big name wants to come and finish their career in Seattle.

Off the top of my head: failed acquisitions through the draft and trade -
    Dustin Ackley
    Justin Smoak
    Danny Hultzen (ironically he was the "safe" pick in the draft with the lowest upside, and now he has elbow issues)
    Jesus Montero

The latest top draft pick, Zunino, is another low upside guy but he was the closest to being major league ready! Because screw talent, we want more average players on our MLB roster as soon as possible.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,636
    Founders Club
    they knew that Seattle Times hit piece was coming and signed Cano to counter that bad PR.
  • Options
    SandyHookerSandyHooker Member Posts: 343
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Name Dropper Testing 1
    So Lloyd McClendon will still not have enough bullets?
  • Options

they knew that Seattle Times hit piece was coming and signed Cano to counter that bad PR.

I don't think they'd commit $240 million as a smoke screen to a hit piece from the Times. They're just desperate for offense and losing patience.
  • Options

no they just don't have a fucking clue what they're doing
  • Options
    CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,493
    First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

So Lloyd McClendon will still not have enough bullets?

I am just glad we have a black coach again. Shows you how multi-cultural Seattle really is. Best city on earth!!1
  • Options
    BREAKING NEWS: They hired another yes man, oh wait, everyone with half a brain knew that would happen all along