Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Question for my kitchen remodeling guysm?

Comments

• Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,864
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

You let the servants cook in your main living quarters?!?!

Sad, I know. But you gotta remember my Mayberry dirt runs a fella a lot more than G n R compound dirt.
  • Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,297
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Love it, Lebam! Your house sounds like mine.
  • Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,060
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

You could call us and get it all including new cabinets for 20 to 30 k. If we were in Oregon

Get a reputable kitchen remodeling company that acts as the GC. Don't do it yourself.

Get more than one price and check references. Trust no one. Don't pay over 30 percent up front. Balance when it passes your wife's punch list.

Put a timeline in the agreement

Really wish you hadn't abandoned us. Rowboat wouldn't have had to come here among the proletariat for this info.
  • Options
    Founders Club

So if all that you are doing is replacing the tile countertop and sink and backsplash then all you need to do is go to the local stone slab place and pick out the appropriate sized stone to replace the tile with. The recommendation i would make is to pick a synthetic stone because the repeating "texture and patterns" are compatible for the butt joints assuming that you will have that issue, and the water staining / heat sensitivity factors are favorable like they are for granite.

the first thing is the tile and sink will have to be removed... normally that is going to have been installed on top of a plywood slab which is screwed to the top of the cabinets so removing that from the cabinets will require some skill and patience to not make a mess out of the cabinets.

Are you sure that you do not want to replace the cabinets? My experience with kitchen remodels is that it is often like a pregnant cat ~ its the gift that keeps on giving. In other words, as you upgrade one surface, the other surfaces then look dated and the wife is back to being unsatisfied and we all know how you will feel about that.

So after you remove the old tile / plywood top a new plywood top needs to be crafted as the base for the new stone slab. No big deal, a modestly skilled remodelling carpenter can do all of the above. The cutout for the sink is created from the sink template and if you are switching to a larger sized sink then your base cabinets under the slab may no longer be the correct correct size. If you do have room for the larger sink without underlying cabinet adjustment then great.

Once the base and sink cutout are correctly positioned you then have the slab installer cut and attach the slab stone to the correct dimensions which they will have measured for. Make sure they do the measurement so that it is their problem if the dimensions turn out to be incorrect. The sink and new faucet arrangement will get installed by the plumber before or after the slab is installed [usually before if the lip is below the slab].

Today's cool as a cats ass backsplash concept is the glass tile sheets... can get them in all colors and are easy to install [for the tile guy that is] and do a good job of unifying a kitchen remodel. Good luck. A piece of advice... source and get all of the materials on hand before the installation and line up the sequencing of subcontractors that you will need to operate in the correctly timed sequence or you will be doing the dishes in the bathtub for an extended period of time which is a real buzz killer.

Here is an example of what we did for possible ideas ~ this turned out great. P.S. If you get out of this without replacing your appliances you are a master of the universe and I'm going to want to interview you for your mind control techniques for controlling your wife's thoughts and desires for obvious reasons.

Best kitchen remodel on HH poast evah!
  • Options
    Founders Club
    edited October 2020
    I went with a custom handcut from Italy or some other bullshit travertine backsplash because Mrs. Swaye thinks I'm made of money even though I come home in an Orkin van.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,173
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Swaye said:

I went with a custom handcut from Italy or some other bullshit travertine backsplash because Mrs. Swaye thinks I'm made of money even though I come home in an Orkin van.

My kitchen remodel story--and proof in HAND that Rowboat should listen to smart people like Race and not broke people like me:

Started with a $10K budget, figuring I could do a lot myself and save money. Things were going really well at first. Local hardware store (Hardware Sales in Bellingham is a mancation-worthy destination if you're an out-of-towner who likes man stuff, particularly during July tool fair) furniture division used to be a dealer for Canyon Creek cabinets, made locally in Monroe, and they also had hookups on granite. Price was spectacular. Saved a lot of money ordering sink and fixtures on eBay/Amazon, and was feeling REALLY good.

Then it came tile/backsplash time. Went to the flooring shop, brought home 5000 sample tiles, laid them out on the floor next to the newly installed (white) cabinets and next to the sample chunk of granite for the countertops. Wife selects the tile she likes for the floor, and we order something like $1500 worth after freight.

Countertops go in next, and we have a problem. Every slab of granite is different, so the countertops that went in were a lot more yellow than the sample we brought home. I don't see the problem, but the mursses is in tears (they do that). Now her carefully chosen floor tile won't match. Also, seeing the countertops all embiggened like that really drives home how busy they are, so the floor should probably be something either very plain or match some other feature in the room. I focused in on the red brick chimney that runs up through the kitchen. "Is brick floor a thing?"

Turns out it is. There's a company that reclaims the bricks from demolished buildings in Chicago, slices them 3/8" thick, and sells them to dupes like me. It's super cool if you ask me, as many of the bricks have union stamps on them, and all of them have slightly different edges and textures and colors (we chose the end slices). And they're fantastically expensive! Going from large square tile to small tile in a herringbone pattern and with a border seemed like something that would take too long for me to fuck around with, so I also had to hire out the doin'.

Then came returning our first tile order, which turned out to be not so straightforward. In order to avoid losing half our money to return freight and restocking, we had to spend the same amount of money with them on a different product. Which is how we ended up with a backsplash that cost as much as our original tile budget.

All said and done, we managed to get a kitchen we really liked for only slightly more than double our original budget, what with the $10K floor and $1500 backsplash!... Bonus: My wife haaaaaaates the floor, as it's impossible to clean. I love it, as dirt and grime totally blends in, so cleaning (to me) is optional. I rent a floor buffer once a year and knock it all down. She wants to rip it out and replace it, this makes my butthole clench and respond with something about my dead body. Not my house, but the floor looks pretty much exactly like this only with a border around the outside:

The end.
    Reminds me of one of my favorite lines when people are picking REAL stones that come out of the earth

It doesn't match the sample!!!

Take it up with God

The truly rich get flown to Italy to pick the slabs from the earth. We actually did that for some of the early Seattle tech barons
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,781

Swaye said:

My kitchen remodel story--and proof in HAND that Rowboat should listen to smart people like Race and not broke people like me:

Started with a $10K budget, figuring I could do a lot myself and save money. Things were going really well at first. Local hardware store (Hardware Sales in Bellingham is a mancation-worthy destination if you're an out-of-towner who likes man stuff, particularly during July tool fair) furniture division used to be a dealer for Canyon Creek cabinets, made locally in Monroe, and they also had hookups on granite. Price was spectacular. Saved a lot of money ordering sink and fixtures on eBay/Amazon, and was feeling REALLY good.

Then it came tile/backsplash time. Went to the flooring shop, brought home 5000 sample tiles, laid them out on the floor next to the newly installed (white) cabinets and next to the sample chunk of granite for the countertops. Wife selects the tile she likes for the floor, and we order something like $1500 worth after freight.

Countertops go in next, and we have a problem. Every slab of granite is different, so the countertops that went in were a lot more yellow than the sample we brought home. I don't see the problem, but the mursses is in tears (they do that). Now her carefully chosen floor tile won't match. Also, seeing the countertops all embiggened like that really drives home how busy they are, so the floor should probably be something either very plain or match some other feature in the room. I focused in on the red brick chimney that runs up through the kitchen. "Is brick floor a thing?"

Turns out it is. There's a company that reclaims the bricks from demolished buildings in Chicago, slices them 3/8" thick, and sells them to dupes like me. It's super cool if you ask me, as many of the bricks have union stamps on them, and all of them have slightly different edges and textures and colors (we chose the end slices). And they're fantastically expensive! Going from large square tile to small tile in a herringbone pattern and with a border seemed like something that would take too long for me to fuck around with, so I also had to hire out the doin'.

Then came returning our first tile order, which turned out to be not so straightforward. In order to avoid losing half our money to return freight and restocking, we had to spend the same amount of money with them on a different product. Which is how we ended up with a backsplash that cost as much as our original tile budget.

All said and done, we managed to get a kitchen we really liked for only slightly more than double our original budget, what with the $10K floor and $1500 backsplash!... Bonus: My wife haaaaaaates the floor, as it's impossible to clean. I love it, as dirt and grime totally blends in, so cleaning (to me) is optional. I rent a floor buffer once a year and knock it all down. She wants to rip it out and replace it, this makes my butthole clench and respond with something about my dead body. Not my house, but the floor looks pretty much exactly like this only with a border around the outside:

The end.
    Reminds me of one of my favorite lines when people are picking REAL stones that come out of the earth

It doesn't match the sample!!!

Take it up with God

The truly rich get flown to Italy to pick the slabs from the earth. We actually did that for some of the early Seattle tech barons
    It was a goddamned fun trip, too!

• Options
    TheRoarOfTheCrowdTheRoarOfTheCrowd Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,560
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    edited October 2020
    1to392831weretaken said: [great poast, loved reading this discussion, a funny and ironic true life tragedy account with some humor involved in the process.]

"Then it came tile/backsplash time. Went to the flooring shop, brought home 5000 sample tiles, laid them out on the floor next to the newly installed (white) cabinets and next to the sample chunk of granite for the countertops. Wife selects the tile she likes for the floor, and we order something like $1500 worth after freight.

Countertops go in next, and we have a problem. Every slab of granite is different, so the countertops that went in were a lot more yellow than the sample we brought home. I don't see the problem, but the mursses is in tears (they do that). Now her carefully chosen floor tile won't match. Also, seeing the countertops all embiggened like that really drives home how busy they are, so the floor should probably be something either very plain or match some other feature in the room. I focused in on the red brick chimney that runs up through the kitchen. "Is brick floor a thing?""

then he talks about the wife hating the alternative flooring which happened as a result of the difference in color for the slab etc... all of which is exactly what can and does happen.

So regarding how to help avoid the buyers remorse of getting combinations of colors and textures that do not complement, i suggest painting a sample board of the paint that is in the kitchen, get a sample of the floor tile or whatever you have used or will use [or take a [picture of the floor and print an 8x10 which matches as close as possible], get a good sized sample of the backsplash and take one of the doors off of the cabinets and bring all of that with you to the slab place to pick out the exact slab stone[s] that you are going to buy use. Just a suggestion to help give you a better idea of how the combination will look as a final product.
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,864
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

Stained concrete floors are making a comeback. Were big in mid century modern along with terrazzo. My last job in Seattle with the company was running the terrazzo wing which included stained concrete. I would tell people to look at the floor in the concourse of the original terminal at Sea Tac to see how terrazzo lasts. Forever

My ex wife’s grandfather used to be in the terrazzo bidness.
  • Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,297
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    They can do amazing things with blended epoxy over concrete as well. As a concrete purist, I think a lot of it looks like garish hot garbage, but it's still pretty impressive the looks they're able to achieve. This one's a pretty subtle stone look:

And this is when things get a bit... over the top:

• Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,173
    Swaye's Wigwam

All those elements are fighting each other not working together. Too much brown. The floor is too busy IMO but could look better if the cabinets and counters were different. We are all HGTV design experts now
  • Options
    TheRoarOfTheCrowdTheRoarOfTheCrowd Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,560
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    edited October 2020

All those elements are fighting each other not working together. Too much brown. The floor is too busy IMO but could look better if the cabinets and counters were different. We are all HGTV design experts now

Now the flooring hot takes come out.

If you had a floor like this your kat and dawg would be scared shitless to go in the kitchen
  • Options
    LebamDawgLebamDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,532
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    On my remodel the only issue I had was matching engineered flooring that I had put in early. The only place that had the matching floor (wide plank distressed rose wood) was located in Alabama. It would cost me 3x the cost of the wood to get it shipped to a distribution center then to a local store (Portland) so I improvised.

We were connecting an open breeze way porch so we? didn't need to go outside to the laundry building. My beer fridge was out there so I thought it was a good idea. Here is a couple of pix of how I mated up two different woods on the floor. Also one of the bakery station for the missus and a wood cook stove.