Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Here it is ... Pac-12 Football Unity Demands

Comments

• creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,696
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic

Last post. Football is the only think left that attracts me to Oregon. Both kids went to Oregon and are big Duck fans. I don't see any exploitation. If you don't want to play football, then don't. College sports are the ultimate capitalistic endeavor and superior talent and effort will be rewarded. Sloth and lack of skills won't. No football and the heritage of shared experience with family and friends is gone. I'll feel sorry for those who won't get to experience that.

I think there are pretty credible arguments that that is not the case.

When Bill Gates graduated from high school, he had the freedom to pursue his worth in the market and, when he realized what that worth would be, he left Harvard after 5 minutes and did it.

Make Bill Gates a dumb but athletically explosive defensive end, and compare and contrast.

The system now makes kids go through a 3-year system where they bust their asses, risk injury and have to do homework all at the same time. And for that they get tuition and free room/board. There is nothing capitalistic about that deal.

For the life of me, I am having a hard damn time understanding the logic of the college football players wishing to be paid employees. For the 2% (or whatever the actual number is) who are good enough for the pros, they will get their payday after 3- 4 years AND as @RaceBannon has pointed out numerous times, the college football experience is far better than whatever some shitty NFL minor league would look like. College football is the 2nd most popular sport in America; and NFL farm system would not match this.

For the 98% who aren't good enough to earn a living, quit you bitching about how college football being "big business". Is there some huge surplus of profit going into some owner's pocket? All that revenue (after football expenses) circulates back into the athletic department to fund the non revenue programs. Why should some 2nd or 3rd string D-1 football player who isn't pro material anymore entitled to be paid than a women's soccer player?

College sports is for amateurs. Pro sports are for professionals. This isn't that hard. </blockquote

The problem is that for big-tim football and bb programs, college sports isn't for amateurs ... it's for pros in waiting.

• YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,792
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited August 2020

For the life of me, I am having a hard damn time understanding the logic of the college football players wishing to be paid employees. For the 2% (or whatever the actual number is) who are good enough for the pros, they will get their payday after 3- 4 years AND as @RaceBannon has pointed out numerous times, the college football experience is far better than whatever some shitty NFL minor league would look like. College football is the 2nd most popular sport in America; and NFL farm system would not match this.

For the 98% who aren't good enough to earn a living, quit you bitching about how college football being "big business". Is there some huge surplus of profit going into some owner's pocket? All that revenue (after football expenses) circulates back into the athletic department to fund the non revenue programs. Why should some 2nd or 3rd string D-1 football player who isn't pro material anymore entitled to be paid than a women's soccer player?

College sports is for amateurs. Pro sports are for professionals. This isn't that hard.

I'm like 10th generation 'Merican @creepycoug . My Engrish is not skrong.
  • huskyhooliganhuskyhooligan Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,041
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Chintersting tweet thread from cofounder of Ford Sports. As Coker and DDY and others have pointed out, something that should be celebrated about college sports is the education. Tracy Ford knows that a majority of his kids are not going to make it to the NFL, but he does know his efforts can lead to helping kids get a college education. What you do with it is a up to you.

First and foremost the numbers just don't add up.

These guys need to put their situation in perspective. A lot of kids they went to high school with would love to be in their situation. They probably have former classmates who are missing the opportunity to go to school, loved playing football, but didn't win the genetic lottery a lot of these kids have. Hell even their own siblings.

With regards to shitty degrees, there are academic programs at the UW, that have been created, with athletes in mind, that have been marketed to athletes for years, which have been overwhelmingly ignored by football and basketball players.

College sports is for amateurs. Pro sports are for professionals. This isn't that hard.

I'm like 10th generation @creepycoug . My Engrish is not skrong.
    Then there's this, which I shudder to admit here. As you know Yella, I have a bit of arrogance in me by which I come naturally along with my hot temper, good looks and dance moves.

There is, to me, some appeal, or at least intrigue, to reverting back to the ideal of the real-student athlete. As you know, I've been in that environment now for the last 5 years, and once you're invested, it can be a good tim. It reminds you that the connection to the place is a lot of what matters as a fan. I don't think it'll happen becuase there are too many powerful interests with a dog in the fight.

Catching a tilt between Middlebury and Amherst wasn't the worst way I've ever spent a Saturday afternoon. And, the further away from men's football and basketball you get, the less noticeable the difference tends to be. But for those two sports especially, it's a whole different level.

Chintersting tweet thread from cofounder of Ford Sports. As Coker and DDY and others have pointed out, something that should be celebrated about college sports is the education. Tracy Ford knows that a majority of his kids are not going to make it to the NFL, but he does know his efforts can lead to helping kids get a college education. What you do with it is a up to you.

These guys need to put their situation in perspective. A lot of kids they went to high school with would love to be in their situation. They probably have former classmates who are missing the opportunity to go to school, loved playing football, but didn't win the genetic lottery a lot of these kids have. Hell even their own siblings.

With regards to shitty degrees, there are academic programs at the UW, that have been created, with athletes in mind, that have been marketed to athletes for years, which have been overwhelmingly ignored by football and basketball players.
    I stopped reading after $120K. Most big-tim sports are played at state universities, and it doesn't cost $120k / yr. for tuition and room/board. It also doesn't cost 120k/year for tuition/room/board/books at Stanford. So whatever he had to say after that, I didn't get to it.
  • GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,480
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

FSP doesn't want college expenses eating into families' budgets for their shit.

The players need a minor league separate from college. Part of transforming America. Time for a change

I'm with them. Divorce football and universities.

Enter the workforce for the NFL minor league

I've been worried about this for years. Of course, like anyone, I want to preserve what I'm used to. But intellectually the current system has not made much sense to me for years. It's not the capitalist way. I believe we are the only country on the planet that ties sports with college to the degree we do. Everywhere else, you go to college or you go to some club place to do your thing and it goes from there. UW, as a universtiy, would be just fine w/o sports. It would feel a lot different for those of us who were there with sports, but over time, that memory would fade.
    Chintellectually, agree.

But fuck Europe and their sports clubs and shit. I love the anachronism of AMERICAN college football and I guess the other sports too. It's OK that weº do things different than the rest of the world.

I don't know nor care about how Belgium or France is setup. I do know that the British amateur sports system was implicitly, if not explicitly, elitist. It was construed in such a way that only aristocrats could afford to partake. The American system shares those roots with the Ivies, but over time evolved to be egalitarian and meritocratic.
    Grundle you know I don't like mingling with the riff raff.
    Standard Supporter

The players need a minor league separate from college. Part of transforming America. Time for a change

I've been worried about this for years. Of course, like anyone, I want to preserve what I'm used to. But intellectually the current system has not made much sense to me for years. It's not the capitalist way. I believe we are the only country on the planet that ties sports with college to the degree we do. Everywhere else, you go to college or you go to some club place to do your thing and it goes from there. UW, as a universtiy, would be just fine w/o sports. It would feel a lot different for those of us who were there with sports, but over time, that memory would fade.
    Chintellectually, agree.

But fuck Europe and their sports clubs and shit. I love the anachronism of AMERICAN college football and I guess the other sports too. It's OK that weº do things different than the rest of the world.

I don't know nor care about how Belgium or France is setup. I do know that the British amateur sports system was implicitly, if not explicitly, elitist. It was construed in such a way that only aristocrats could afford to partake. The American system shares those roots with the Ivies, but over time evolved to be egalitarian and meritocratic.
    I don't have time to debate this. I'm needed at the polo grounds.
  • SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,043
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    edited August 2020

Chintellectually, agree.

I don't have time to debate this. I'm needed at the polo grounds.
    Don't get near the ass end of @SpiritHorse . You are either getting shit on or catching a hoof.
  • huskyhooliganhuskyhooligan Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,041
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

I stopped reading after $120K. Most big-tim sports are played at state universities, and it doesn't cost $120k / yr. for tuition and room/board. It also doesn't cost 120k/year for tuition/room/board/books at Stanford. So whatever he had to say after that, I didn't get to it.
    I agree numbers are off, but 75k (tuition, room / board, books, supplies) for Stanford is impressive. Not to mention the UW out of state tuition is 37k per year. Room and board probably boost it closer to 50k. Still substantial. The poont is all of the benefits the guys get it's not anywhere close to what the average student is receiving. BTW, THE U tuition isn't far off of Stanford. It's insane what New Yorkers will spend to study near the beach.
    Standard Supporter
    Standard Supporter

Not reading it because the headline is tiresome enough.

Why would we pay college football players when 98% of them are not professional sports material?
    Science?
  • WestlinnDuckWestlinnDuck Member Posts: 13,697
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Standard Supporter
    The basic story on college football is that the NFL and Players Union have agreed to maximize the revenue for the league owners and largely black players. That agreement includes rookie salary caps, three year wait after high school to join the union, a 53 man active squad plus a 12 member practice squad and revenue sharing and a hard salary cap. The NFL has tried a minor league team. It failed. So, assuming the end of the three year post high school rule, for the really small number of 18-20 year olds that could make the league, for every player that makes the league, a veteran player is cut. On an overall basis, nothing changes. No more money to players and potentially less as college football is negatively impacted and less fans will follow their favorite college players to the NFL. The NFL draft makes millions with a lot of attention from college fans following the draft. The NFL draft is incredibly impactful because the players drafted are ready to play. Drafting 18 year olds who nobody has seen play isn't exciting.

The myth is that the NFL is taking money out of the hands of potential black players. That's true, but then veteran players (who are largely black) have money taken away from them. This isn't the man keeping blacks down.