Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Here it is ... Pac-12 Football Unity Demands

Comments

• Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    The Coug doing whatever they are doing is whatever ... as long as they honor the scholarships pretty sure they aren’t legally liable
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    Tequilla said:

The Coug doing whatever they are doing is whatever ... as long as they honor the scholarships pretty sure they aren’t legally liable

There are pains worse than tort
  • Options
    DoubleJDawgDoubleJDawg Member Posts: 597
    @Tequilla showing why he is the “finance” guy, not the “marketing” or “labor negotiations” guy
  • Options
    CallMeBigErnCallMeBigErn Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,956
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Founders Club
    ntxduck said:

89ute said:

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en-us/articles/pac-12-players-covid-19-statement-football-season

Pac-12 Football Unity Demands
    To Protect and Benefit Both Scholarship and Walk-On Athletes

I. Health & Safety Protections
    COVID-19 Protections

Allow option not to play during the pandemic without losing athletics eligibility or spot on our team’s roster.
    Prohibit/void COVID-19 agreements that waive liability.

Mandatory Safety Standards, Including COVID-19 Measures

Player-approved health and safety standards enforced by a third party selected by players to address COVID-19, as well as serious injury, abuse and death.

II. Protect All Sports
    Preserve All Existing Sports by Eliminating Excessive Expenditures

Larry Scott, administrators, and coaches to voluntarily and drastically reduce excessive pay.
    End performance/academic bonuses.
    End lavish facility expenditures and use some endowment funds to preserve all sports.*

*As an example, Stanford University should reinstate all sports discontinued by tapping into their $27.7 billion endowment.
    III. End Racial Injustice in College Sports and Society

Form a permanent civic-engagement task force made up of our leaders, experts of our choice, and university and conference administrators to address outstanding issues such as racial injustice in college sports and in society.
    In partnership with the Pac-12, 2% of conference revenue would be directed by players to support financial aid for low-income Black students, community initiatives, and development programs for college athletes on each campus.
    Form annual Pac-12 Black College Athlete Summit with guaranteed representation of at least three athletes of our choice from every school.

IV. Economic Freedom and Equity
    Guaranteed Medical Expense Coverage

Medical insurance selected by players for sports-related medical conditions, including COVID- 19 illness, to cover six years after college athletics eligibility ends.

Name, Image, and Likeness Rights & Representation

The freedom to secure representation, receive basic necessities from any third party, and earn money for use of our name, image, and likeness rights.

Fair Market Pay, Rights, & Freedoms

Distribute 50% of each sport’s total conference revenue evenly among athletes in their respective sports.
    Six-year athletic scholarships to foster undergraduate and graduate degree completion.
    Elimination of all policies and practices restricting or deterring our freedom of speech, our ability to fully participate in charitable work, and our freedom to participate in campus activities outside of mandatory athletics participation.
    Ability of players of all sports to transfer one time without punishment, and additionally in cases of abuse or serious negligence.
    Ability to complete eligibility after participating in a pro draft if player goes undrafted and foregoes professional participation within seven days of the draft.
    Due process rights

Fuck you ya little bitches - you want to distribute 50% of each sport’s total conference revenue evenly among athletes in their respective sports? GET FUCKED!! These fucking retards have no concept of operational expenses. They have no concept of profit margin, how thin they are and that most universities are operating athletics in the red.

I can and have been doing well without these stupid fuckers. Haven't given a shit about who the QB will be, how our 100% new secondary will hold up - just don't fucking care.

Been doing fine poundin the wives, bike riding, running and watching Netflix.

Fuck you - shut it down, go home, don't want to watch you entitled mother fuckers running around thinking your imagined oppressed shit don't stink.

Everything about this post is cringe, but maybe nothing more than seeing a grown man use the word retard
    Yeah but what else am I supposed to call Kim?
  • Options
    GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,147
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    My favorite takeaway here isn't that some of the players are greedy idiots who don't understand economics or the ramifications of title IX.

The real winning revelation here is Stalin finally verbalizing what he's been wanting to say for a very long time - that the Marxists are here and their plot to overthrow our state institutions is finally in motion. And in the middle of the store no less. What a cool time to be a hardcore husky poster, man.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs

@Tequilla showing why he is the “finance” guy, not the “marketing” or “labor negotiations” guy

Don’t confuse me rationalizing their thinking as saying that I agree with their thinking
  • Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,472
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Looking forward to the Husky Stadium short-sale.
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes

My favorite takeaway here isn't that some of the players are greedy idiots who don't understand economics or the ramifications of title IX.

The real winning revelation here is Stalin finally verbalizing what he's been wanting to say for a very long time - that the Marxists are here and their plot to overthrow our state institutions is finally in motion. And in the middle of the store no less. What a cool time to be a hardcore husky poster, man.

Same could be said about the Marxist
  • Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,472
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

You gotta be pretty damn ignorant to not see what's happening with public education on the whole, as well as higher learning.
  • Options
    WestlinnDuckWestlinnDuck Member Posts: 13,837
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Standard Supporter
    edited August 2020

The players need a minor league separate from college. Part of transforming America. Time for a change

I'm with them. Divorce football and universities.

Enter the workforce for the NFL minor league

You mean like the XFL? Or the AAF? Or NFL Europe?

No one cares about JV football unless it has a college name attached to it. Buckeye alums and their money won't care if some kid in Ohio goes to play for the Columbus JV team.
    Not my problem. Its what the players want. It will save most schools a lot of money
    Race, it will save most schools a lot of money. It will also kill women athletics. It will cost the Washington and Oregon a ton of money. Why send your kid to UW when you could send him to Eastern Washington and live at home? The big college experience with lots of kids and a football experience sends thousands of college kids paying full boat out of state tuition from Cali. I'm pretty happy with the current situation. If a small minority of gifted athletes don't like the current situation they are free to opt out. The NFL is extremely smart and has a nice symbiotic relationship with college football. They don't have to pay for a money losing minor league and they can do this because the NFL players union agreed that any NFL player has to be out of high school for 3 years. In any other endeavor, that would be illegal under US anti-trust law. But there is an exception for union contracts. Hence, no 20 year olds in the NFL. So currently, there are a large numbers of high school kids that get a D1 college scholarship that would never be touched by an NFL minor league. Unlike baseball, where minor league teams make money, there won't be an single A league, a AA league and a AAA league. Late developers are legend in the NFL. They wouldn't get the chance. The other 98% who never get drafted won't get a scholarship, play for an NFL minor league team with no fans and won't play in a big stadium in front of friends and family.

Penei Sewell would have been a top 10 pick last year but came back to play with his 5 star now freshman brother. This season is going to suck if it even happens. Someone obviously got to him and I'm with Stalin. He turned down several million dollars for the college experience. The adults need to tell the kids to phuck off. The fact that these kids see this as exploitation is a false narrative. If the NFL wants to destroy college football with allowing 18 year olds to be drafted and pay for a minor league, then I'm fine with that. It would be stupid, but I'm not subsidizing stupid. But if college wants to destroy college football and women's athletics and the alumni connection to the college, then so be it. Just let them understand the choice they are making.
  • Options
    trubluetrublue Member Posts: 3,042

The players need a minor league separate from college. Part of transforming America. Time for a change

No one cares about JV football unless it has a college name attached to it. Buckeye alums and their money won't care if some kid in Ohio goes to play for the Columbus JV team.
    Not my problem. Its what the players want. It will save most schools a lot of money
    Race, it will save most schools a lot of money. It will also kill women athletics. It will cost the Washington and Oregon a ton of money. Why send your kid to UW when you could send him to Eastern Washington and live at home? The big college experience with lots of kids and a football experience sends thousands of college kids paying full boat out of state tuition from Cali. I'm pretty happy with the current situation. If a small minority of gifted athletes don't like the current situation they are free to opt out. The NFL is extremely smart and has a nice symbiotic relationship with college football. They don't have to pay for a money losing minor league and they can do this because the NFL players union agreed that any NFL player has to be out of high school for 3 years. In any other endeavor, that would be illegal under US anti-trust law. But there is an exception for union contracts. Hence, no 20 year olds in the NFL. So currently, there are a large numbers of high school kids that get a D1 college scholarship that would never be touched by an NFL minor league. Unlike baseball, where minor league teams make money, there won't be an single A league, a AA league and a AAA league. Late developers are legend in the NFL. They wouldn't get the chance. The other 98% who never get drafted won't get a scholarship, play for an NFL minor league team with no fans and won't play in a big stadium in front of friends and family.

Penei Sewell would have been a top 10 pick last year but came back to play with his 5 star now freshman brother. This season is going to suck if it even happens. Someone obviously got to him and I'm with Stalin. He turned down several million dollars for the college experience. The adults need to tell the kids to phuck off. The fact that these kids see this as exploitation is a false narrative. If the NFL wants to destroy college football with allowing 18 year olds to be drafted and pay for a minor league, then I'm fine with that. It would be stupid, but I'm not subsidizing stupid. But if college wants to destroy college football and women's athletics and the alumni connection to the college, then so be it. Just let them understand the choice they are making.
    Umm, hate to break the narrative you have going BUT Penei Sewell did not come back to play with his little brother.

He is a true junior and had to come back because he was not eligible for the NFL draft, unless he wanted to opt out playing this year.

Justin Herbert came back as a true senior because he was an outstanding student, wanted a chance to play with his freshman brother, Patrick, and had unfinished business (goals he wanted to accomplish as a team) . . . old school . . .
  • Options
    trubluetrublue Member Posts: 3,042

You gotta be pretty damn ignorant to not see what's happening with public education on the whole, as well as higher learning.
    I wonder where football players get their ideas in this age of social media?

Add to that, the large number of players that major in ethnic studies, sociology, interdisciplinary studies, pre-business, no major declared, etc., etc.

Being a D-1 athlete is an incredible time commitment year round even for good students (practices, film study, weight lifting, meetings, etc., etc.)

If someone is an average student or less, they are drawn to the easier/worthless majors.

I’m sure the “professors” are “centrists” [snicker].

I’m sure these classes involve a lot of critical thinking, oops, I mean indoctrination.

Notice how many football programs don’t even bother anymore to list what the football players are majoring in.

• Options
    Standard Supporter
    trublue said:

Umm, hate to break the narrative you have going BUT Penei Sewell did not come back to play with his little brother.

He is a true junior and had to come back because he was not eligible for the NFL draft, unless he wanted to opt out playing this year.

Justin Herbert came back as a true senior because he was an outstanding student, wanted a chance to play with his freshman brother, Patrick, and had unfinished business (goals he wanted to accomplish as a team) . . . old school . . .
    My bad. Seems like an eternity since last football season. Unlike the dazzler I'm happy to admit my mistakes.
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,740
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic

Because EWU is the place kids who can't get into WSU go to attend college. WSU is the place kids go who can't get into UW.

We've been over this. There are a million reasons unrelated to sports on which a kid would base a decision to attend UW over EWU, the latter of which is a glorified community college.
  • Options

I've been worried about this for years. Of course, like anyone, I want to preserve what I'm used to. But intellectually the current system has not made much sense to me for years. It's not the capitalist way. I believe we are the only country on the planet that ties sports with college to the degree we do. Everywhere else, you go to college or you go to some club place to do your thing and it goes from there. UW, as a universtiy, would be just fine w/o sports. It would feel a lot different for those of us who were there with sports, but over time, that memory would fade.
  • Options

I'd get rid of college sports altogether at that point. No one cares about college baseball and they care less every year about basketball because the stars aren't playing

Football would probably lose the interest as well. At that point why spend the money when the Covid revenue crunch is coming anyway

Agreed. It would be like watching a Harvard/Yale game. Having been to one, I can tell you the tailgating is more competitive than what you see on the field.

It would be dreck from an athletic standpoint. No Stan Empterman.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    Last post. Football is the only think left that attracts me to Oregon. Both kids went to Oregon and are big Duck fans. I don't see any exploitation. If you don't want to play football, then don't. College sports are the ultimate capitalistic endeavor and superior talent and effort will be rewarded. Sloth and lack of skills won't. No football and the heritage of shared experience with family and friends is gone. I'll feel sorry for those who won't get to experience that.