Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Resetting expectations

1235»

Comments

• Options
    WoofWoof Member Posts: 769
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    For the record, I think it's clear that this year's staff turnover has lost us substantial recruiting ability, and I'm very skeptical we gained a commensurate amount talent development skills in return. I am on board that we need to upgrade Bob and Bonerpopper's positions with top-tier recruiters (potentially Harris too). I just didn't buy the argument that we were failing when we were pulling in classes that put our blue chip ratio above 50% for the first time ever. Manu wouldn't have gotten a sniff in any of the last 4 classes.

While we could have improved a bit, I think we were relatively close to the peak of our recruiting ability with the '18-'20 classes. Without an amazing crop of in-state talent like this year, ending up somewhere in the 10-15 range is what should be expected on an annual basis. Never below 20 and occasionally top 10 when the stars align.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs

Tequilla said:

Woof said:

Tequilla said:

Woof said:

That’s one of the most concerning things about this entire thing. Even our best recruiters (Jimmy, Malloe, Huff, Junior) are getting their shits pushed in.

Pete was a killer and if you typed in bets coach’s son CFB on Google, he was right at the top of pretty much every list. The ones that don’t think that didn’t help us in recruiting were delusional.
    OKG is racist! It keeps us from landing good recruits, we need a younger, cooler coach.
    By far the dumbest narrative that was ever peddled on this site... went hand in hand with classifying black players into different categories (we were recruiting the wrong classification of black person)
    This site is great for critiques on UW football and life in general, but many of the best critics who have good insight as to the program's failings also the ones who have the absolute dumbest ideas about how to enact positive change.
    It was TBS obsession mixed with academia. Not everything needs to be a study. Work blended into recruiting which needs no study at all. Get good players and develop them.

A charismatic (and also very fucking strange) internet personality convinced people that it was a problem because he’s smarter and wittier than they are.
    Recruiting matters ... far more than you often give it credit for.

Are there reasons to believe that development is important ... absolutely.

If you want an area to hold onto for optimism, the 2021 recruiting class is going to be one of the strangest ones on record because of the lack of Spring evaluations, no summer underwear Olympics, and quite possibly not having a high school season. Projections will mean a ton this year.
    I think evidence suggests there are fewer programs that develop talent than there are programs that recruit.

The venn diagram of programs that do both successfully is:
    Bama
    Clemson
    tOSU

We all realize it takes a balance of both to win big, but I think you TSIO boys underestimate the difficulty of finding coaches that develop kids.
    Development absolutely matters

I’ve long been on record as saying the more you progress in a sport the more development, the mental side, etc becomes important

You also have to have the underlying physical attributes to get in the door though ... all the development, mental, etc is worthless if you physically can’t get the job done
    perfect example was Kyler Manu. But bobby greggers was more than happy to trot out there
    And this is Exhibit A of my major concerns with what I’m seeing
  • Options
    DawgFaderDawgFader Member Posts: 1,414
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    I’m looking for these guys close literally everyone left on the known list and steal a few away.
  • Options
    CallMeBigErnCallMeBigErn Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,982
    Founders Club

Woof said:

That’s one of the most concerning things about this entire thing. Even our best recruiters (Jimmy, Malloe, Huff, Junior) are getting their shits pushed in.

Pete was a killer and if you typed in bets coach’s son CFB on Google, he was right at the top of pretty much every list. The ones that don’t think that didn’t help us in recruiting were delusional.
    OKG is racist! It keeps us from landing good recruits, we need a younger, cooler coach.
    By far the dumbest narrative that was ever peddled on this site... went hand in hand with classifying black players into different categories (we were recruiting the wrong classification of black person)
    This site is great for critiques on UW football and life in general, but many of the best critics who have good insight as to the program's failings also the ones who have the absolute dumbest ideas about how to enact positive change.
    It was TBS obsession mixed with academia. Not everything needs to be a study. Work blended into recruiting which needs no study at all. Get good players and develop them.

A charismatic (and also very fucking strange) internet personality convinced people that it was a problem because he’s smarter and wittier than they are.
    Looking at that second paragraph. Take out the word internet and I feel like you just described David Koresh.
    Whoa.

• Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes

Woof said:

Looking at that second paragraph. Take out the word internet and I feel like you just described David Koresh.
    Whoa.

Wood
  • Options
    BonedogBonedog Member Posts: 650
    S
    FireCohen said:

Woof said:

Whoa.

Wood
    Smash
  • Options
    Ice_HolmvikIce_Holmvik Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,909
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Bonedog said:

S

FireCohen said:

Woof said:

Whoa.

Wood
    Smash
    Feverishly
  • Options
    sinceredawgsinceredawg Member Posts: 773
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    Does anyone know who the lady is? I'd like to stalk her more effectively.
  • Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,974
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes

Does anyone know who the lady is? I'd like to stalk her more effectively.

Looks like Hannah from below deck I believe.
  • Options
    animateanimate Member Posts: 4,231
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Tequilla said:

Woof said:

Tequilla said:

Woof said:

If you want an area to hold onto for optimism, the 2021 recruiting class is going to be one of the strangest ones on record because of the lack of Spring evaluations, no summer underwear Olympics, and quite possibly not having a high school season. Projections will mean a ton this year.
    I think evidence suggests there are fewer programs that develop talent than there are programs that recruit.

Bama
    Clemson
    tOSU

We all realize it takes a balance of both to win big, but I think you TSIO boys underestimate the difficulty of finding coaches that develop kids.

I’ve long been on record as saying the more you progress in a sport the more development, the mental side, etc becomes important

You also have to have the underlying physical attributes to get in the door though ... all the development, mental, etc is worthless if you physically can’t get the job done
    people say all kinds of stupid things and trot out virtues that they want to see and normalize.

until there's a fire in the building and you're caught on your balcony facing a 50ft jump onto concrete or death by smoke inhalation and being roasted alive.

you want that 5"3 120lb firefighter who knows exactly what to do but stuggles to drag their equipment across the block? Or do you want to see a bunch of 6'3" 235lb fit guys busting down your door to drag your ass to safety?

the reality is that those guys are smart too and can get the job done ... the other person is just pretend.
  • Options
    dtddtd Member Posts: 4,041
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    animate said:

Tequilla said:

Woof said:

Tequilla said:

Woof said:

Bama
    Clemson
    tOSU

you want that 5"3 120lb firefighter who knows exactly what to do but stuggles to drag their equipment across the block? Or do you want to see a bunch of 6'3" 235lb fit guys busting down your door to drag your ass to safety?

BRB, JO