Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Resetting expectations

Comments

• Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,979
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes

That’s one of the most concerning things about this entire thing. Even our best recruiters (Jimmy, Malloe, Huff, Junior) are getting their shits pushed in.

Pete was a killer and if you typed in bets coach’s son CFB on Google, he was right at the top of pretty much every list. The ones that don’t think that didn’t help us in recruiting were delusional.
    I shared this with a couple guysm on the bored already. I talked to a high school coach here in Lexington. Their school has a 5-star OL who has a top 5 of Bama, UK, tOSU, Clemson, and Oregon.

The coach said Saban recently called their player and it was like getting a call from God.

That made me realize how good of a closer Pete was much by the virtue of him being named as one of the top 4-5 CFB coaches.

Jimmy is an unknown to these kids relatively speaking.
    I can see that with the offensive side of the ball for sure. If jimmy can’t put together a good defensive class given their track record of success and getting ppl drafted especially in the secondary That is super concerning. They are messing this up somehow in some way where it should be a slam dunk to put together a good class on thy side of the ball.
  • Options
    BeerThirtyBeerThirty Member Posts: 2,465
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

Is the "woof" you woofed the other day actually happening and was it who people thought it was?

Happening on Sunday. The woof wasn't for Berry who I knew was committing because I don't think it was a big pick up. I knew Finau was getting offered but didn't know he would commit on the spot.
    Is it pitch a tent worthy?
    Tinae is committing on Sunday. Probably him.

@sonics1993 what are your thoughts on the Finau offer and commitment? Any insight into how that came about?
    Coach K loved what he saw and brought in Malloe who loved it as well. Then they got into contact with him and loved his personality and thought he was a great fit. Had him send a couple workout video's which verified what they saw on tape and they offered. There was debate on whether it was going to be for OL or DL because Huff really liked him as well but they saw more potential at DL. If there's two guys I trust it's Malloe and Coach K and they see a big body that can move that just needs to be coached up.
    That makes me feel better. I want to trust the coaches, luckily these two are the ones I trust in most
  • Options
    Kingdome_UrinalsKingdome_Urinals Member Posts: 2,605
    First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes

That’s one of the most concerning things about this entire thing. Even our best recruiters (Jimmy, Malloe, Huff, Junior) are getting their shits pushed in.

Pete was a killer and if you typed in bets coach’s son CFB on Google, he was right at the top of pretty much every list. The ones that don’t think that didn’t help us in recruiting were delusional.
    I shared this with a couple guysm on the bored already. I talked to a high school coach here in Lexington. Their school has a 5-star OL who has a top 5 of Bama, UK, tOSU, Clemson, and Oregon.

The coach said Saban recently called their player and it was like getting a call from God.

That made me realize how good of a closer Pete was much by the virtue of him being named as one of the top 4-5 CFB coaches.

Yeah, Jimmy is basically a position coach who had his hand held at DC for a couple years. Getting him on the line does not really move the needle.

Football players respond to manly authority, which for an HC is accomplished by winning tons of games and projecting Top Dog status through all interactions.

We are led by a DB coach and an assistant RB coach.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

Baseman said:

Yeah, Jimmy is basically a position coach who had his hand held at DC for a couple years. Getting him on the line does not really move the needle.

Football players respond to manly authority, which for an HC is accomplished by winning tons of games and projecting Top Dog status through all interactions.

I’m going to wait until Jimmy coaches the first series, maybe two, of game 1 first
    True. If we actually play Michigan and go 3 and out on our first couple drives, I won’t be feeling good.
    Praise Allah for COVID!!
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs

Woof said:

OKG is racist! It keeps us from landing good recruits, we need a younger, cooler coach.
    By far the dumbest narrative that was ever peddled on this site... went hand in hand with classifying black players into different categories (we were recruiting the wrong classification of black person)
    This site is great for critiques on UW football and life in general, but many of the best critics who have good insight as to the program's failings also the ones who have the absolute dumbest ideas about how to enact positive change.
    It was TBS obsession mixed with academia. Not everything needs to be a study. Work blended into recruiting which needs no study at all. Get good players and develop them.

A charismatic (and also very fucking strange) internet personality convinced people that it was a problem because he’s smarter and wittier than they are.
    Recruiting matters ... far more than you often give it credit for.

Are there reasons to believe that development is important ... absolutely.

If you want an area to hold onto for optimism, the 2021 recruiting class is going to be one of the strangest ones on record because of the lack of Spring evaluations, no summer underwear Olympics, and quite possibly not having a high school season. Projections will mean a ton this year.
  • Options
    whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member Posts: 12,440
    Tequilla said:

Woof said:

OKG is racist! It keeps us from landing good recruits, we need a younger, cooler coach.
    By far the dumbest narrative that was ever peddled on this site... went hand in hand with classifying black players into different categories (we were recruiting the wrong classification of black person)
    This site is great for critiques on UW football and life in general, but many of the best critics who have good insight as to the program's failings also the ones who have the absolute dumbest ideas about how to enact positive change.
    It was TBS obsession mixed with academia. Not everything needs to be a study. Work blended into recruiting which needs no study at all. Get good players and develop them.

A charismatic (and also very fucking strange) internet personality convinced people that it was a problem because he’s smarter and wittier than they are.

If you want an area to hold onto for optimism, the 2021 recruiting class is going to be one of the strangest ones on record because of the lack of Spring evaluations, no summer underwear Olympics, and quite possibly not having a high school season. Projections will mean a ton this year.
    Recruiting matters but going off recruiting rankings and "stars" alone is not enough. These are often inexact projections of kids from unstandardized measures of recruiting analysts (not coaches) when they're 16 of how they'll be throughout their college career. Recruiting rankings don't adjust as kids workout and devote their time to studying the game in college, and to hold onto ideas of stars after the first 2 years (that Wellington was a 4* and Dissly was a 2*) in college is asinine.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,983
    Founders Club

Baseman said:

I’m going to wait until Jimmy coaches the first series, maybe two, of game 1 first
    True. If we actually play Michigan and Sirmon throws pick sixes on our first couple drives, I won’t be feeling good.
    ftfy
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,614
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Woof said:

I take issue with this label.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    Woof said:

Tequilla said:

Woof said:

I think evidence suggests there are fewer programs that develop talent than there are programs that recruit.

The venn diagram of programs that do both successfully is:
    Bama
    Clemson
    tOSU

We all realize it takes a balance of both to win big, but I think you TSIO boys underestimate the difficulty of finding coaches that develop kids.
    Development absolutely matters

I’ve long been on record as saying the more you progress in a sport the more development, the mental side, etc becomes important

You also have to have the underlying physical attributes to get in the door though ... all the development, mental, etc is worthless if you physically can’t get the job done
  • Options
    UDubHusky23UDubHusky23 Member Posts: 889
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Tequilla said:

Woof said:

Tequilla said:

Woof said:

I think evidence suggests there are fewer programs that develop talent than there are programs that recruit.

The venn diagram of programs that do both successfully is:
    Bama
    Clemson
    tOSU

We all realize it takes a balance of both to win big, but I think you TSIO boys underestimate the difficulty of finding coaches that develop kids.
    Development absolutely matters

I’ve long been on record as saying the more you progress in a sport the more development, the mental side, etc becomes important

You also have to have the underlying physical attributes to get in the door though ... all the development, mental, etc is worthless if you physically can’t get the job done
    perfect example was Kyler Manu. But bobby greggers was more than happy to trot out there