Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Either the Washington coaches are crazy or are geniuses

Comments

• Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,612
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

DoogDawg said:

Talked to a couple different guys on the staff and neither of them are concerned about recruiting, in fact they like where they stand in recruiting. I made one of them repeat it because I couldn't believe it. They both told me that when things open back up, it's going to be insane and Washington will be in a very good place to deal with it. Both told me recruiting is a marathon not a sprint and believe come fall, they will flip a lot of these guys including Troy who they are still confident in. I want to believe but all my neutral sources aren't as optimistic so I got no clue how this ends.

Question Sonics: are the position coaches you talk to usually pretty straight up about things going on, whether good or bad? Or do they usually put a positive spin on it? Just wondering how realistic they are being. Thanks!
    Honestly they are usually realistic but this year they have been completely off with some of the things they have said.
    I have a question. If Jimmy and his staff are banking on decommitments why are they loading up on all these 3 star recruits? Will they be more willing to drop players if a highly rated kid decides they want to join later in the cycle?

Another reason I call BS on their flipping strategy. This staffs track record for actually fighting/scratching/clawing out recruiting battles is bad. Even with Pete, I can only think of Puka, Tuli, Asa, off the top of my head. The kids we have lost late either by giving up has been significantly higher.
    A.) "This staff" started existing in December. Not complete until January. To what track record are you referring?

B.) The bolded part is a very small sample size. Petersen was the king of boring. They mostly had their classes sewn up early, with very little drama. Based off the trajectory of their recruiting, I think you just called them out for what many staffs are jealous of.

C.) My understanding is it took a zero hour marathon phone session to keep Byron Murphy in the fold. Ty Jones, too. I'm sure there are more that we don't know about.
    Pete's staff closed really well. Nobody gets them all in the contested ones, but Pete held his own. You named a couple of good examples. Julius Irvin and Kyler Gordon are a couple of others. Budda Baker is a pretty good one. There others where the final choice of the kid was very much in doubt right up to the end.

Truth is that it's kind of a dumb point anyways. The good recruits are always contested right up to signing day. UWhasnt had much issue with flips and you can't logically ignore that.

Some of the guys he's probably thinking of were hail Mary offers where UW became a surprise contender late but disnt quite seal the deal.
  • Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,300
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

DoogDawg said:

Talked to a couple different guys on the staff and neither of them are concerned about recruiting, in fact they like where they stand in recruiting. I made one of them repeat it because I couldn't believe it. They both told me that when things open back up, it's going to be insane and Washington will be in a very good place to deal with it. Both told me recruiting is a marathon not a sprint and believe come fall, they will flip a lot of these guys including Troy who they are still confident in. I want to believe but all my neutral sources aren't as optimistic so I got no clue how this ends.

Question Sonics: are the position coaches you talk to usually pretty straight up about things going on, whether good or bad? Or do they usually put a positive spin on it? Just wondering how realistic they are being. Thanks!
    Honestly they are usually realistic but this year they have been completely off with some of the things they have said.
    I have a question. If Jimmy and his staff are banking on decommitments why are they loading up on all these 3 star recruits? Will they be more willing to drop players if a highly rated kid decides they want to join later in the cycle?

Another reason I call BS on their flipping strategy. This staffs track record for actually fighting/scratching/clawing out recruiting battles is bad. Even with Pete, I can only think of Puka, Tuli, Asa, off the top of my head. The kids we have lost late either by giving up has been significantly higher.
    A.) "This staff" started existing in December. Not complete until January. To what track record are you referring?

B.) The bolded part is a very small sample size. Petersen was the king of boring. They mostly had their classes sewn up early, with very little drama. Based off the trajectory of their recruiting, I think you just called them out for what many staffs are jealous of.

C.) My understanding is it took a zero hour marathon phone session to keep Byron Murphy in the fold. Ty Jones, too. I'm sure there are more that we don't know about.
    A. The bulk of this class is the same as when Petersen was in charge. Im taking everyone who has been here since Pete.

B. Yes, Petersen usually had his classes wrapped up before Dec but this is not the case with Lake and Co. If what @sonics1993 has said is true they are hoping/banking on kids decommiting so that they can get them late or flip kids.

C. Two kids they had committed at the time. It an entirely different thing to have a kid decommit and flip to you late. This is what I am trying to get across. Its one thing to keep a guy committed but if your banking on your class to flip guys late it can get ugly. Usually the team that has the guy committed has the upper hand because its easier to keep a guy than flip. Who have we flipped besides a handful of guys? The guys we have flipped were usually due to late coaching changes in Puka and Tuli.
    Yes, Petersen had his classes wrapped up early, but Lake and Co.'s last 12 classes were all last minute frantic dashes. Oh, that Lake and Co... I remember way back to one sentence earlier when you stated how they're the same people as when Petersen was here and therefore should be held to the same standard, but it's also true that Petersen and Co. are way different from the now long-tenured Lake and Co., who are totally not the same people as they were when they were the same people. Those were the days...
  • Options
    UDubHusky23UDubHusky23 Member Posts: 889
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

DoogDawg said:

A. The bulk of this class is the same as when Petersen was in charge. Im taking everyone who has been here since Pete.

B. Yes, Petersen usually had his classes wrapped up before Dec but this is not the case with Lake and Co. If what @sonics1993 has said is true they are hoping/banking on kids decommiting so that they can get them late or flip kids.

C. Two kids they had committed at the time. It an entirely different thing to have a kid decommit and flip to you late. This is what I am trying to get across. Its one thing to keep a guy committed but if your banking on your class to flip guys late it can get ugly. Usually the team that has the guy committed has the upper hand because its easier to keep a guy than flip. Who have we flipped besides a handful of guys? The guys we have flipped were usually due to late coaching changes in Puka and Tuli.
    Yes, Petersen had his classes wrapped up early, but Lake and Co.'s last 12 classes were all last minute frantic dashes. Oh, that Lake and Co... I remember way back to one sentence earlier when you stated how they're the same people as when Petersen was here and therefore should be held to the same standard, but it's also true that Petersen and Co. are way different from the now long-tenured Lake and Co., who are totally not the same people as they were when they were the same people. Those were the days...
    Why shouldn't this staff be held to a standard? According to Jimmy Lake they should be held to an even higher standard after he spout off in his opening press conference how competitive he was and how it was going to bleed into every aspect of his program starting with recruiting.

Yes, I am using Pete's tenure for a track record because the bulk of the staff is the same. The only changes are Derham Cato who was a supporting staff member for UW, Terrence brown who also used to be a supporting member and the ONLY new member outside the staff in JonDon. While Pete usually had his classes wrapped up going into December, Lake seems to be taking a totally different approach. Whether its because of COVID or another this staff for some reason lost its connection with the local recruits after preaching to a UW basketball crowd how important they were. We have @sonics1993 saying that Lake and co want to make their pitches in person and our selling strategy doesn't translate well over zoom. Well we are going to have a hell of a job by fighting for recruits to the end or flip these kids when our track record doesn't really bode well. when you include petes tenure. Not maintaining a recruitment but actually flipping kids.
  • Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,300
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

DoogDawg said:

Why shouldn't this staff be held to a standard? According to Jimmy Lake they should be held to an even higher standard after he spout off in his opening press conference how competitive he was and how it was going to bleed into every aspect of his program starting with recruiting.

Yes, I am using Pete's tenure for a track record because the bulk of the staff is the same. The only changes are Derham Cato who was a supporting staff member for UW, Terrence brown who also used to be a supporting member and the ONLY new member outside the staff in JonDon. While Pete usually had his classes wrapped up going into December, Lake seems to be taking a totally different approach. Whether its because of COVID or another this staff for some reason lost its connection with the local recruits after preaching to a UW basketball crowd how important they were. We have @sonics1993 saying that Lake and co want to make their pitches in person and our selling strategy doesn't translate well over zoom. Well we are going to have a hell of a job by fighting for recruits to the end or flip these kids when our track record doesn't really bode well. when you include petes tenure. Not maintaining a recruitment but actually flipping kids.
    Okay, now I see where you're going.

It's easy to see it as a cop-out, but COVID is a legit excuse for UW's pitch not working. Lake wanted to be aggressive in recruiting and change things up a bit, focusing more on NFL development vs. playing school, but he's still a Chris Petersen disciple, and, for better or for worse, you correctly point out he kept a largely Chris Petersen staff. We make fun of Operation Offer Drop because that's an Oregon thing and not a UW thing, but I think, when you boil it down in the age of COVID bullshit, a lot are saying, "Couldn't we just do Operation Offer Drop this year, when flash is all there is!?"

Just because Lake seems to want to tweak the recruiting pitch focus doesn't mean he didn't learn a few things about how to build a program, and I could see him sticking to a lot of Petersen's core principles. One of those was not taking weak commitments. You do not take a commitment from a kid that hasn't visited--with parents--or who plans to take more visits. What if it's as simple as Lake sticking to that while altering other bullshit messaging things? Sure, it could backfire bigly in the short term if on-campus visits never return, but it could pay huge dividends in a year where the normal rules don't seem to apply. We're all assuming these coaches are just fucking off all day and boating and drinking fancy coffee, but what if they're constantly in contact with these kids, being real with them, preaching the reciprocal commitment, and then one day visits open up and these kids--although "committed"--visit UW, talk to Lake, realize he was the only coach in the country who played them like anything but a used car salesman, and take it seriously?

It's turbo doog and wishful thinking and likely to backfire, but it's my theory right now, so I'm sticking to it.
  • Options
    UDubHusky23UDubHusky23 Member Posts: 889
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

DoogDawg said:

It's easy to see it as a cop-out, but COVID is a legit excuse for UW's pitch not working. Lake wanted to be aggressive in recruiting and change things up a bit, focusing more on NFL development vs. playing school, but he's still a Chris Petersen disciple, and, for better or for worse, you correctly point out he kept a largely Chris Petersen staff. We make fun of Operation Offer Drop because that's an Oregon thing and not a UW thing, but I think, when you boil it down in the age of COVID bullshit, a lot are saying, "Couldn't we just do Operation Offer Drop this year, when flash is all there is!?"

Just because Lake seems to want to tweak the recruiting pitch focus doesn't mean he didn't learn a few things about how to build a program, and I could see him sticking to a lot of Petersen's core principles. One of those was not taking weak commitments. You do not take a commitment from a kid that hasn't visited--with parents--or who plans to take more visits. What if it's as simple as Lake sticking to that while altering other bullshit messaging things? Sure, it could backfire bigly in the short term if on-campus visits never return, but it could pay huge dividends in a year where the normal rules don't seem to apply. We're all assuming these coaches are just fucking off all day and boating and drinking fancy coffee, but what if they're constantly in contact with these kids, being real with them, preaching the reciprocal commitment, and then one day visits open up and these kids--although "committed"--visit UW, talk to Lake, realize he was the only coach in the country who played them like anything but a used car salesman, and take it seriously?

It's turbo doog and wishful thinking and likely to backfire, but it's my theory right now, so I'm sticking to it.
    thats a BIG doogish theory. This leave Lake no margin of error for this class. Im just not seeing it from this staff and Im not going to make or believe in excuses. The moment Lake and Harris mouthed off and made fun or oregon and all their offers its feeling a little one sided in oregons favor when it comes to recruiting wins and on the field results.
  • Options
    DugtheDoogDugtheDoog Member Posts: 3,180
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment

godawgst said:

Domicillo said:

Domicillo said:

@sonics1993 please don't do this. Are these guys on staff actual coaches or support staff. Im going to take a cleanse from uw football. This is too stressful with oregon pushing our shit in

One position coach and one person heavily involved with recruiting. I have absolutely no read on this.
    Sounds like spin, spin, spin.
    Exactly, what else are they going to say. “Things are bad, and we have no plan”
    Please don't bring common sense in this conversation. I need this false hope
    Even if they are right and somehow they come out of this flipping guys back and getting most of their top targets, it’s an absolutely terrible process. Frankly it reeks of the same shit when we’d stop recruiting in the spring and we’d we lose guys like Ngata, Charbonnet, Jones, etc, we didn’t get those kids back later in the ‘marathon’.
    exactly! thought lake would fix this quite honestly where we would just take the spring off basically
    And they HAVE to see and know (whether they like it or not) that b/c of the early signing period, most schools are trying to have their classes wrapped up end of August, so the heavy lifting is being done in Feb-May.

At this point, all they have to hang their hat on is the assumption of a avalanche of decommits and hope they can scoop them up.

Can you imagine worse case scenario the virus circles back to the athletes (like it did at Houston) and the NCAA kills official visits for the rest of the year.....
    That's what has been so concerning to me for a while and what I don't think most are fully grasping. This whole 'wait till we get em on campus' shit isn't just blind optimism, it's a potentially reckless strategy, if in fact we? actually have a coherent strategy.

There is a realistic possibility that on campus visits will not resume for the remainder of the recruiting cycle, which would be a colossal failure, both in actual recruiting results and in the overall mismanagement of resources.

I read an article in the Athletic probably a month ago where they anonymously interviewed 3 power five recruiting coordinators, one each from the east coast Midwest and west. All 3 were relatively uneasy about things and one in particular was adamant in his belief that on campus visits for the remainder of this cycle remain highly unrealistic. So many moving parts that would have to go right.

Could he be right? Maybe. But the mere possibility that he could be and we would be so unprepared for such a scenario is a scary proposition. Less so for an individual recruiting class than what it could reveal about Jimmy's ability to properly manage a program.
    If there's no visits that might help with our chances with keeping JTT and EE. If we land those two as a result of no visits but miss out on Troy and a few other 4* then it was a net positive for us.
    Technically I agree but that's a pretty big "if" at this point.

And even if it were to somehow end up that way, it would be in spite of this staff's recruiting strategy. It's really concerning to me the level of disconnect that seems to exist here. But I desperately want to be wrong.
  • Options
    DoogWhispererDoogWhisperer Member Posts: 1,017
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    edited June 2020
  • Options
    dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,840
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam

DoogDawg said:

COVID isn’t a legit excuse. You change and adapt. Jimmy should have changed his approach when visits were shut down. He hasn’t, and he’s paying for it now. If you own a restaurant when COVID hits and your competitors do take out but you don’t. You can’t blame COVID for you being on the brink of bankruptcy while your competitors are still operating and making a profit even if it’s small.
    💯

@CallMeBigErn how in gods name do you have a negative reaction to this?
  • Options
    CallMeBigErnCallMeBigErn Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,984
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Founders Club
    edited June 2020

DoogDawg said:

COVID isn’t a legit excuse. You change and adapt. Jimmy should have changed his approach when visits were shut down. He hasn’t, and he’s paying for it now. If you own a restaurant when COVID hits and your competitors do take out but you don’t. You can’t blame COVID for you being on the brink of bankruptcy while your competitors are still operating and making a profit even if it’s small.
    💯

Because COVID absolutely affects UW's style of recruiting and it's fucking June. We start slow in non-virus years too, you know. The Jimmy slamming is so ignorant it makes my head spin. Just remember, he hasn't even held a practice yet. This is the ultimate example of let it fucking play out. This fanbase is turning the touchdown deficit game off in the 2nd quarter. Any "pick yourself up by the bootstraps" talk without a hint of nuance will earn my Fuck Off.
  • Options
    DoogWhispererDoogWhisperer Member Posts: 1,017
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment

DoogDawg said:

💯

Because COVID absolutely affects UW's style of recruiting and it's fucking June. We start slow in non-virus years too, you know. The Jimmy slamming is so ignorant it makes my head spin. Just remember, he hasn't even held a practice yet. This is the ultimate example of let it fucking play out. This fanbase is turning the touchdown deficit game off in the 2nd quarter. Any "pick yourself up by the bootstraps" talk without a hint of nuance will earn my Fuck Off.
    The other teams that take OKGs (Wisconsin, Stanford, UCLA) are not having the same issues.
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,612
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

DoogDawg said:

💯

Is COVID affecting Jimmy's recruiting or isn't it? You're making conflicting points. I don't know what practices have to do with recruiting. Coaching college football involves coaching the players you have but also recruiting, and hiring staff. Jimmy can be a great on field/game day coach, but if he isn't recruiting or making good hires, he's only doing a third of the job well. And we haven't even seen his on field coaching yet, to even make that determination. So all we have to grade Jimmy, is his recent hires and recruiting. His hiring decisions have been questionable at best, and his recruiting has been sub par. To say Jimmy is better than underwhelming thus far sets a pretty high score on the doog meter.
    I agree with all that you've said. I'm reluctant to grade recruiting at this stage though. I think they've fucked the pooch on it but grades get assigned after finals which arent until december.
  • Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,277
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited June 2020
    chuck said:

DoogDawg said:

💯

Is COVID affecting Jimmy's recruiting or isn't it? You're making conflicting points. I don't know what practices have to do with recruiting. Coaching college football involves coaching the players you have but also recruiting, and hiring staff. Jimmy can be a great on field/game day coach, but if he isn't recruiting or making good hires, he's only doing a third of the job well. And we haven't even seen his on field coaching yet, to even make that determination. So all we have to grade Jimmy, is his recent hires and recruiting. His hiring decisions have been questionable at best, and his recruiting has been sub par. To say Jimmy is better than underwhelming thus far sets a pretty high score on the doog meter.
    I agree with all that you've said. I'm reluctant to grade recruiting at this stage though. I think they've fucked the pooch on it but grades get assigned after finals which arent until december.
    I can get behind that. In essence Jimmy failed the midterm and needs to ace the final.

As mentioned by other people, his margin of error just went to zero, and that's scary because it's only June. Imagine how bad it could get if he has a mediocre season...
  • Options
    Founders Club
    edited June 2020

DoogDawg said:

💯

My point is this regime has a history of starting off slow and finishing strong. If we graded Petersen's classes in May/June, they'd all fucking suck. COVID is just an added hindrance to how we recruit, which is built on family vibe and bringing recruits to practices/games and visits. We're not a program that sells with cyber sex. We sell with real sex. Yes, if we graded our class now, it wouldn't be great. Thankfully classes are signed in December and good things could be happening behind the scenes for all we know, which is fuckall. LIPO. I'm not passing judgement and freaking out until there's something to pass judgement and freak out on. This place is a reactionary bitchfest lately (always?). Misery loves company.

Georgia Tech has a higher rated class than Bama.
  • Options
    edited June 2020

DoogDawg said:

💯

My point is this regime has a history of starting off slow and finishing strong. If we graded Petersen's classes in May/June, they'd all fucking suck. COVID is just an added hindrance to how we recruit, which is built on bringing recruits to practices/games and visits. We're not a program that sells with cyber sex. We sell with real sex. Yes, if we graded our class now, it wouldn't be great. Thankfully classes are signed in December and good things could be happening behind the scenes for all we know, which is fuckall. LIPO. I'm not passing judgement and freaking out until there's something to pass judgement and freak out on. This place is a reactionary bitchfest lately (always?). Misery loves company.
    It isn't the number of recruits, it's the quality.

Washington had 8 commits at this time last year with four 4 stars.

2019- 9 commits, four 4 stars

2018- 9 commits six four stars

This year UW has only has one 4 star or higher. I guess Kuao is a Rivals 4 star, but still.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    edited June 2020

DoogDawg said:

💯

My point is this regime has a history of starting off slow and finishing strong. If we graded Petersen's classes in May/June, they'd all fucking suck. COVID is just an added hindrance to how we recruit, which is built on bringing recruits to practices/games and visits. We're not a program that sells with cyber sex. We sell with real sex. Yes, if we graded our class now, it wouldn't be great. Thankfully classes are signed in December and good things could be happening behind the scenes for all we know, which is fuckall. LIPO. I'm not passing judgement and freaking out until there's something to pass judgement and freak out on. This place is a reactionary bitchfest lately (always?). Misery loves company.

This year UW has only has one 4 star or higher. I guess Kauo is a Rivals 4 star, but still.
    And if some of those recruits gain an arbitrary 4th star later? Will you retroactively change your June diagnosis? What if those 3* guys are fucking ballers? Stars are great and all, but they aren't the be all end all. A high 3* (of which we have several in this class) is no different than most 4*, but you starfuckers definitely pass them off as inferior players.
  • Options
    edited June 2020

DoogDawg said:

💯

This year UW has only has one 4 star or higher. I guess Kauo is a Rivals 4 star, but still.
    And if some of those recruits gain an arbitrary 4th star later? Will you retroactively change your June diagnosis? What if those 3* guys are fucking ballers?
    Anybody can say that. Recruiting isn't dead on, but statistics show, you are much more likely to hit on a 4 or 5 star than you are a 3 star. If I remember right Patrick Chung was a 2 star talent at Oregon, and he had a great college and pro career. Those things happen, but if you're banking on even half of your three stars being "fucking ballers" that's a problem.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    edited June 2020

DoogDawg said:

💯

And if some of those recruits gain an arbitrary 4th star later? Will you retroactively change your June diagnosis? What if those 3* guys are fucking ballers?
    Anybody can say that. Recruiting isn't dead on, but statistics show, you are much more likely to hit on a 4 or 5 star than you are a 3 star. If I remember right Patrick Chung was a 2 star talent. Those things happen, but if you're banking on even half of your three stars being "fucking ballers" that's a problem.
    Even if the school has a penchant for developing 3* players into NFL draft picks? Like I added above, a high 3* is no different than most 4*. It's an arbitrary value that a drunk scout who has seen them once gives them. I don't get hung up on the stars. Watch the tape. Tunuufi as a 3* is fucking ridiculous, for example.