Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

FBI investigates death of black man after video shows cop kneeling on his neck

Comments

• Options
    SledogSledog Member Posts: 31,005
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

Sledog said:

Police are trusted with a monopoly on violence in society. Therefore, they are held to a higher standard of conduct than the rest of us. Don't like it? Don't be a cop.

Reason #1,001 why I don't trust the government or anyone who's an authoritarian.

Precisely this. It is a huge transference of power.
    The public doesn't want to be held to any standard.
    Disagree Sleddy. The public generally does want law and order, and as I made clear in the other thread about the goons in Georgia, I much, much prefer leaving the business of arresting people to the professionals - the cops.

That said, there are always going to be bad actors in every line of work. Cops are no exception. What makes those bad actors problematic in the force is the great power and trust the public has conferred upon the police. So when you get a bad apple in that group, it's a problem. Literally nobody else in society - only law enforcement - has the power to legally seize and exert control over your person.
    I have no problem with weeding out bad cops. I'm all for it.

I'm not commenting on the incident as there's too little info available.
  • Options
    SledogSledog Member Posts: 31,005
    edited May 2020
    HHusky said:

Sledog said:

Police are trusted with a monopoly on violence in society. Therefore, they are held to a higher standard of conduct than the rest of us. Don't like it? Don't be a cop.

Reason #1,001 why I don't trust the government or anyone who's an authoritarian.

Working with the public has its challenges. Becoming a cop is still voluntary.
    Loved my job mostly. Challenges? Not most of the public. But there's some that definitely need need a new attitude. Seems no one taught them manners or civility among other things.

Cops don't want to fight. Too many injuries. That's why we have tools.

FYI there is something of a death syndrome for people on stimulants who die after fighting with the police. They fight like crazy and after you put them in the car there body just shuts down. It's being researched. This guy died of a medical event.
  • Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    Swaye's Wigwam
    ramenduck said:

vadawg said:

This is fucking murder. Cops and government suck. Fuck the cops.

Then post videos of COPS killing white, Asian or Latino perps. I don't consider COPS as government.

It doesn't happen. You know why? Because it doesn't fit the media's narrative.

In 2017 and 2018, twice as many pale faces were killed by COPS. Show us the videos that the main stream media posted to ginn up outrage.

It never happened! Period.

I have been treated poorly and kindly by police officers. I have police officers, DEA agents, FBI and Sheriff's around me now. The stories they tell are outrageous. The danger they are put in by all races is atrocious. For the MSM to focus on the bad few is criminal.

So in response to a video of a black man being brutalized by police and likely dying as a result, you blame the media, call others in the thread racist, cite apples/oranges statistics, pull out anecdotes about cops you allegedly know, demand to see videos of white people being killed that you strongly feel exist, then finally get around to condemning the cop.

I bet you’re a riot at parties.

And why do you keep capitalizing the word cops?
    The one thing you or anyone doesn't know, but assumes, is that this was an incident motivated by race.
  • Options
    GDSGDS Member Posts: 1,470
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    ramenduck said:

vadawg said:

Then post videos of COPS killing white, Asian or Latino perps. I don't consider COPS as government.

In 2017 and 2018, twice as many pale faces were killed by COPS. Show us the videos that the main stream media posted to ginn up outrage.

I have been treated poorly and kindly by police officers. I have police officers, DEA agents, FBI and Sheriff's around me now. The stories they tell are outrageous. The danger they are put in by all races is atrocious. For the MSM to focus on the bad few is criminal.

So in response to a video of a black man being brutalized by police and likely dying as a result, you blame the media, call others in the thread racist, cite apples/oranges statistics, pull out anecdotes about cops you allegedly know, demand to see videos of white people being killed that you strongly feel exist, then finally get around to condemning the cop.

This is the same dude that posts links to AmRen...I know you’re not surprised at Atl’s reaction.
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,749
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic

I don't understand rats and their media. You can visit any of my local television station web sites and every single day you can find black on white crime. This story is being reacted to by rats not because one guy was killed by a COP while being restrained. It is a story about a white man doing this to a black man. Gail King was on television crying today asking "why are they doing this to my brothers and sisters". I can show her 5X of the opposite here in South Atlanta but she and other rats aren't interested in that perspective. 6% of the population is responsible for 42% of the murders in this country but rats and their media can't make political hay out of that.

Black crime gets glossed over by the media, but overzealous power ranger cops are a societal issue as well
    Again, this isn't about Cops, this is black and white.

When was the last time you saw outrage over COPS killing a white guy? In 2017 twice as many white guys were killed by Police than black. For the life of me I can't ever remember a rat on here posting any articles on that disparity which proves my point.
    It's about cops.
    So you will protest by posting COPS killing white skinned Americans right?

The only reason this is an issue today is because it is a white COP killing a black man.

For all of you pussies who disagree, post your last post showing twice as many white men being killed by COPS.

COPS should never kill like this but for anyone to assume this hasn't happened to white perps is to be a racist POS.

This is a political issue that is not afforded to COPS killing white people. It is racist at it's core. It is used for political purposes.

Fuck all of you that believe this is the norm. Statistics say it is politics as usual.
    I don't think anybody said it was the norm. I suppose it's true that police brutality on black people gets more pub, but that's because people at least perceive that it's a relatively more significant issue with black males.

It's not to suggest that the police don't ever go off on whites or other groups. Separate issue. But I wouldn't say or agree that cop on black (mostly male) violence gets the focus only (or primarily) because of the liberal mainstream media. It's an issue that has been discussed for years in the U.S., and the media didn't just make it up. Even controlling for % of overall US population, the stats for black males are pretty grim in this area, as a very recent and oft-cited study reveals:

Here's the link to the overall study: https://www.pnas.org/content/116/34/16793

So, it seems that there is at least some basis for the years of people saying that being black and male puts you at relatively worse odds when dealing with the cops.

Of course, there are other considerations and it's a complex issue. Black males commit a relatively higher % of the crimes, etc. etc.

That said, this case is unlike the Brown case and more like the Garner case. Whatever he did before doesn't matter; what matters is that once you have a guy under control and he tells you he can't breathe, you need to pay attention and make sure he can breathe. Simple. Get him to the station alive unless your life is threatened.
    You can’t classify all deaths by the police as “police brutality”. That’s dishonest no matter what you think of the police. The vast majority are very justifiable. The questionable ones get a huge amount of publicly (Ferguson was a lie). Also as you mentioned, considering black people commit more crimes and therefore have more contact with the police and it’s not hard to understand why more get killed as a %
    I didn't. I posted the recent study as a basis for why people focus more on violence between black males and the cops. Said another way, as at least some explanation for why the questionable ones get the pub.
    The graph you posted did
    Yes, I know.
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,886
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    A young man (white) in a Mesa hotel got shot for no good reason by some overzealous cops (I think mostly white, one Hispanic maybe). It got a little attention, but compared to these types of stories, maybe 1/20th, probably more like 2 or 3 ser pent. Why? You know why. There are racist asshole cops. There are asshole cops. I've dealt with a few. Everything is politicized to the hilt. It doesn't help that superstar basketball players get on Twatter and act like this is a normal thing and happens every four seconds.
  • Options
    TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,753
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    GDS said:

ramenduck said:

vadawg said:

This is the same dude that posts links to AmRen...I know you’re not surprised at Atl’s reaction.
    And you're the infamous lying piece of shit pedophile @GDS that can't produce facts but parrots MSM talking points like the sad little gay bitch he is.

Fuck Off and Kill Yourself, pervert.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    SFGbob said:

MelloDawg said:

SFGbob said:

Another example of how bad shit happens when you resist arrest. Yes it shouldn't, but you're asking a lot if you resist and then don't expect to get roughed up.

I generally agree, but he was cuffed and on the ground and then the cop stuck his knee on his neck when he wasn’t resisting.
    Yeah but he was resisting before they put the cuffs on him. Human nature being what it is, when you resist, you increase greatly your odds of being abused by the cops.
    Was he?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8360903/New-video-shows-George-Floyd-dragged-car.html
  • Options
    SFGbobSFGbob Member Posts: 31,922
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    edited May 2020
    Appears to be, they sure are struggling with him to get the cuffs on. What transpires between that video and him ending up on the ground.

• Options
    doogiedoogie Member Posts: 15,072
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Jesus, bob. It doesn’t fucking Matter!

Rogue cop killed a motorist for a misdemeanor. It’s on fucking tape.

Once the victim was subdued, it was the Obligation of the police TEAM to Guarantee his safety.

End.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    doogie said:

Once the victim was subdued, it was the Obligation of the police TEAM to Guarantee his safety.

End.

Facts matter, they have always mattered. The guy didn't deserve to die but to lie and claim he wasn't resisting doesn't help anything.
  • Options
    BasemanBaseman Member Posts: 12,365
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Sledog said:

HHusky said:

Sledog said:

Working with the public has its challenges. Becoming a cop is still voluntary.
    Loved my job mostly. Challenges? Not most of the public. But there's some that definitely need need a new attitude. Seems no one taught them manners or civility among other things.

Cops don't want to fight. Too many injuries. That's why we have tools.

FYI there is something of a death syndrome for people on stimulants who die after fighting with the police. They fight like crazy and after you put them in the car there body just shuts down. It's being researched. This guy died of a medical event.
    Sled -- Why not use a Taser in situations like this?
  • Options
    SFGbob said:

doogie said:

End.

Facts matter, they have always mattered. The guy didn't deserve to die but to lie and claim he wasn't resisting doesn't help anything.
    Great bob, Now would be the perfect time for you to produce your special set of facts
  • Options
    BasemanBaseman Member Posts: 12,365
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    SFGbob said:

doogie said:

End.

I don't think anyone can dispute the guy resisted, it's the severity of the response and continued violence that's unacceptable -- criminal when it comes down to it.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    Baseman said:

SFGbob said:

doogie said:

End.

I don't think anyone can dispute the guy resisted, it's the severity of the response and continued violence that's unacceptable -- criminal when it comes down to it.
    Doogie just did dispute it. Claimed it was some "special" fact I just created.
  • Options
    Bob, don’t be a Dick.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    doogie said:

Bob, don’t be a Dick.

Go fuck yourself. You said I was making up my own facts. Don't be a fucking liar.
  • Options
    TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,753
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Baseman said:

SFGbob said:

doogie said:

End.

It's "criminal" to resist arrest. And what exactly is the correct level of response without being "severe?"

And what should the cops do when that doesn't work? See the problem?

Utopian, 20/20 Hindsight analyses are not getting the job done. These things keep happening because neither side of the encounter is completely innocent and because human beings are never perfect. These kinds of anti-social encounters do not get better by focusing all eyes and efforts on one side of the encounter, especially when deadly force is in play.

Fire all the cops, bust their union and throw them all in jail. And guess what? These things will keep happening.

What we have here is a clear failure to communicate by dumb, belligerent people which escalates into mini-warfare and conquest, and it's not going to stop just by all cops becoming good boys. It may get even worse.