Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Numbers, math, facts, etc.

Comments

• Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    RoadTrip said:

Grundle, what's your basic assessment of where we stand today? Can we even compare where we are as a country to the rest of the world? Wouldn't you say the actual infection # is significantly higher in reality thus the mortality rate is considerably lower than .3?

I don't know shit.

I'd assumed exposure and infection back in March was much higher than numbers now available bear out. A national infection rate of around 15% seems consistent between various sources I've seen, higher of course in hot spots. A 0.3% fatality rate, while orders of magnitude better than the original grims of 2% or more, is still pretty bad, quite honestly. That number also jives with the earliest, most optimistic predictions. I think that Stanford guy had it around 0.25%.

I've plowed through a bunch of books on Spanish Flu and influenza-like pandemics in the last several books. None since and including SpanFlu were halted by a vaccine. Best info I could find on SARS was that vaccine trials were halted in 2012, nine years after the epidemic. If someone has better info, pleased to beings shown to be wrong. Of course, the medical industry has advanced a lot in 17 years. Still, I'm pessimistic on the prospects for a highly effective vaccine, and unfortunately, mainstream messaging has pegged reopening to a vaccine.

A common thread on the last pandemics, they just stop at some point. They run a certain course and then recede to a background disease, except for the particular SpanFlu strain, which disappeared. If I remember correctly, Philadelphia went from apocalyptic numbers to next to nothing over the course of around 2-3 weeks.

One prediction I still stand behind, is that eventually some pre-existing resistance, or vulnerability, will be found on this one. Genetic, crossover immunity, the Vitamin D thing, or something else all together. Best case would be Vitamin D, that is actionable. The rest is roll of the dice.
  • Options
    RoadTripRoadTrip Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,244
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
  • Options
    Standard Supporter

Not entirely sure how to read this chart or how he's massaged data.
  • Options
    theknowledgetheknowledge Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,576
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    He's gone from ethical to Covid Crazy. As evidence mounts in one direction and the actions taken by those in power are pulling in the opposite direction it messes with ones mind causing one to lash out. This is something I see at the grocery store. Usually one or two blow ups is all a person needs to purge the madness and then numbness sets in. Someone who was vocal and obstinate one day will go out and buy a mask that says "This mask is as useless as our Governor" or a shirt that says "The only thing non essential in Washington is Jay Inslee" and do their shopping in silence. They are done. His charts will be ethical again in a few days. Covid Crazy is a real thing. I've had it and survived.
    #comfortablynumb
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,485
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

He's gone from ethical to Covid Crazy. As evidence mounts in one direction and the actions taken by those in power are pulling in the opposite direction it messes with ones mind causing one to lash out. This is something I see at the grocery store. Usually one or two blow ups is all a person needs to purge the madness and then numbness sets in. Someone who was vocal and obstinate one day will go out and buy a mask that says "This mask is as useless as our Governor" or a shirt that says "The only thing non essential in Washington is Jay Inslee" and do their shopping in silence. They are done. His charts will be ethical again in a few days. Covid Crazy is a real thing. I've had it and survived.
    #comfortablynumb

Every Friday I get a pep talk from my wife before entering the grocery store. The two arguments we have got in at the store over the months were both started by her. We're on our third store. All good. The mask doesn't bother her but the bags do. A lot. They won't bag if you bring reusable in which is what they want because Cali charges for new bags every week. She pointed out that they were all over our groceries so put them in the damn bag. Two tellers ended up arguing with her at which point I said - the proper response would have been to nod your head and agree and go on with your business. (I've been married 35 years) not double up and start yelling.

For that our 300 bucks a week goes elsewhere
  • Options
    Standard Supporter

#comfortablynumb

Yeah, I think you might have something there. TES has included some borderline conspiracy accusations for a while, but grown more explicit.

Then there's Berenson, who's become increasingly more shrill and ad hominem to people who disagree with him. He still bring some value but must filter more.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    @RoadTrip re some pre-existing immunity or resistance. Read the whole thread, take it as one input among many.

• Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,485
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited August 2020

#comfortablynumb

Yeah, I think you might have something there. TES has included some borderline conspiracy accusations for a while, but grown more explicit.

Then there's Berenson, who's become increasingly more shrill and ad hominem to people who disagree with him. He still bring some value but must filter more.
    I think the more they look the more it appears inescapable that a hidden hand is in play

Not saying it is, just saying the more you look at this and realize we ARE STILL LOCKED DOWN, the more you wonder
  • Options
    SledogSledog Member Posts: 30,883

#comfortablynumb

I think the more they look the more it appears inescapable that a hidden hand is in play

Not saying it is, just saying the more you look at this and realize we ARE STILL LOCKED DOWN, the more you wonder
    I'm saying it is and have been since the beginning.
  • Options
    YouKnowItYouKnowIt Member Posts: 539
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

I just shook hands for the first time since March

How many days do I have?

I hope the shake was with your estate attorney
    I shit you not, It was to witness the signing of my in-laws will.
    Probably should have had them do yours after that shake
  • Options
    Standard Supporter

#comfortablynumb

As I was saying...
  • Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    Swaye's Wigwam
    We were right, you and I

RoadTrip said:

Grundle, what's your basic assessment of where we stand today? Can we even compare where we are as a country to the rest of the world? Wouldn't you say the actual infection # is significantly higher in reality thus the mortality rate is considerably lower than .3?

I don't know shit.

I'd assumed exposure and infection back in March was much higher than numbers now available bear out. A national infection rate of around 15% seems consistent between various sources I've seen, higher of course in hot spots. A 0.3% fatality rate, while orders of magnitude better than the original grims of 2% or more, is still pretty bad, quite honestly. That number also jives with the earliest, most optimistic predictions. I think that Stanford guy had it around 0.25%.

I've plowed through a bunch of books on Spanish Flu and influenza-like pandemics in the last several books. None since and including SpanFlu were halted by a vaccine. Best info I could find on SARS was that vaccine trials were halted in 2012, nine years after the epidemic. If someone has better info, pleased to beings shown to be wrong. Of course, the medical industry has advanced a lot in 17 years. Still, I'm pessimistic on the prospects for a highly effective vaccine, and unfortunately, mainstream messaging has pegged reopening to a vaccine.

A common thread on the last pandemics, they just stop at some point. They run a certain course and then recede to a background disease, except for the particular SpanFlu strain, which disappeared. If I remember correctly, Philadelphia went from apocalyptic numbers to next to nothing over the course of around 2-3 weeks.

One prediction I still stand behind, is that eventually some pre-existing resistance, or vulnerability, will be found on this one. Genetic, crossover immunity, the Vitamin D thing, or something else all together. Best case would be Vitamin D, that is actionable. The rest is roll of the dice.
    I did the same as Gundle. That’s why we were right.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    Shit, I forgot about hermiston. Have the Antelope reclaimed the town yet?
  • Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    Swaye's Wigwam

#comfortablynumb

Every Friday I get a pep talk from my wife before entering the grocery store. The two arguments we have got in at the store over the months were both started by her. We're on our third store. All good. The mask doesn't bother her but the bags do. A lot. They won't bag if you bring reusable in which is what they want because Cali charges for new bags every week. She pointed out that they were all over our groceries so put them in the damn bag. Two tellers ended up arguing with her at which point I said - the proper response would have been to nod your head and agree and go on with your business. (I've been married 35 years) not double up and start yelling.

For that our 300 bucks a week goes elsewhere
    I pretty much do nothing. Wear a gaiter mask, which does nothing, when I’m required to have a mask. I take it off the second Karen can’t yell at me. I go to the gym we’re no one gives a fuck. 20-30 people, no masks or any serious attempt to distance. Ive never been a big hand washer unless I have shit or something obvious that needs to be cleaned (I don’t wash when i pee, why? My cock is the cleanest part on my body). I get a flu shot, it’s free and takes 8 minutes.

The hysteria about “staying safe” is absurd. Proven by stats to date.

Grundle and I were right.