Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Evidence Shows Dir Gen of WHO Severely Overstated Death Rate of Coronavirus leading to global panic

Comments

• Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    MelloDawg said:

dnc said:

dnc said:

dnc said:

Yeah you're wrong on this, it is significantly more deadly than the flu. And even if this analysis is correct, it's significantly more contagious than the flu, which will make it more deadly.

Its not the fact that it is contagious and can bring deaths with it, especially in the elderly, it is the scare tactics. People react just how they did here. No toilet paper (why?), bulk buying foods that are not available for those that need it most, panic buying and hoarding.

Driving panic is stupid. People are waiting in lines for 5 hours at shopping centers. 1000's of people close together, freaking out. Putting themselves at risk when it didn't need to be that way. The risk to those who are not sick and vulnerable is minimal.

Seriously, can someone explain to me why the run on toilet paper? Are people going to shit themselves to death? People are so deranged. I went to the store this afternoon and there is no fresh chicken, red meat, TP, but the vegetables and fruit are untouched. Same with canned veggies, rice, pasta.
    All the idiots who keep comparing this to the flu is why people keep buying toilet paper. Or at least why they started buying it. Once it became a hot item everyone else just panic falls in line.

It's not like the flu. It's not going to give you diarrhea.
    The flu rarely causes diarrhea. Especially in adults. Thats one of the great myths that won't die. The flu is a respiratory disease. But decades of moms saying their kid who is throwing up with diarrhea had the "flu" or even worse "a touch of the flu" or the "24 hour flu" has left millions not knowing what the flu is. Especially since people won't get flu shots and say "I got the shotonce and got the flu anyway" when in fact the had food poisoning or something like the Norovirus.

https://www.webmd.com/cold-and-flu/what-is-flu
    Fair enough.

Perception is reality though. People hear "it's the flu" and went and bought TP to prepare for that which they will not face.
    No. Facts are reality. Misinformation and failure to grasp facts leads to panic, fear and irrational behavior that harms people.

The reality is people are hoarding TP the are uneducated emotional sheep who get lead are on drugs by the nose. That's the fact.

But if they are that uneducated and prone to groupthink as you say, they were going to do that regardless of the information they're getting or its source. The problem is that now regular folks such as you and I (but more me because I'm more regular) are now the ones going to get TP because we might need it down the road after all the crazies keep buying it. The same goes for chicken.
    So we've reestablished people are dumb, emotional and easily manipulated.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 42,098
    <

MelloDawg said:

dnc said:

dnc said:

dnc said:

Yeah you're wrong on this, it is significantly more deadly than the flu. And even if this analysis is correct, it's significantly more contagious than the flu, which will make it more deadly.

Its not the fact that it is contagious and can bring deaths with it, especially in the elderly, it is the scare tactics. People react just how they did here. No toilet paper (why?), bulk buying foods that are not available for those that need it most, panic buying and hoarding.

Driving panic is stupid. People are waiting in lines for 5 hours at shopping centers. 1000's of people close together, freaking out. Putting themselves at risk when it didn't need to be that way. The risk to those who are not sick and vulnerable is minimal.

Seriously, can someone explain to me why the run on toilet paper? Are people going to shit themselves to death? People are so deranged. I went to the store this afternoon and there is no fresh chicken, red meat, TP, but the vegetables and fruit are untouched. Same with canned veggies, rice, pasta.
    All the idiots who keep comparing this to the flu is why people keep buying toilet paper. Or at least why they started buying it. Once it became a hot item everyone else just panic falls in line.

The flu rarely causes diarrhea. Especially in adults. Thats one of the great myths that won't die. The flu is a respiratory disease. But decades of moms saying their kid who is throwing up with diarrhea had the "flu" or even worse "a touch of the flu" or the "24 hour flu" has left millions not knowing what the flu is. Especially since people won't get flu shots and say "I got the shotonce and got the flu anyway" when in fact the had food poisoning or something like the Norovirus.

Fair enough.

Perception is reality though. People hear "it's the flu" and went and bought TP to prepare for that which they will not face.
    No. Facts are reality. Misinformation and failure to grasp facts leads to panic, fear and irrational behavior that harms people.

The reality is people are hoarding TP the are uneducated emotional sheep who get lead are on drugs by the nose. That's the fact.

But if they are that uneducated and prone to groupthink as you say, they were going to do that regardless of the information they're getting or its source. The problem is that now regular folks such as you and I (but more me because I'm more regular) are now the ones going to get TP because we might need it down the road after all the crazies keep buying it. The same goes for chicken.
    My wife just informed me that we need to join in and go buy shit we don't need so we're prepared

Because everyone is

I need wine and rib steaks
    It's St. Paddy's, man.

Buy a few years worth of corned beef.

• Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,940
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    I need the two hot 40 year old chicks at the bar Sunday night. At the same time. They can do lesbian stuff as a warm up. I got the 12 rolls of toilet paper. Now the bars are closed though...
  • Options
    PandaOrangeChiknDuckPandaOrangeChiknDuck Member Posts: 545
    First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    GDS said:

HHusky said:

If you are seriously calculating the death rate from the flu by looking at CONFIRMED cases of the flu, you deserve to get your medical advice from gatewaypundit.

In Europe they are now upto 700 deaths per day. That rate is continuing to increase as icus fill up and doctors are having to treat patients in triage tents. Hopefully the draconian measures taken here can lower the rate in the US.
    It's actually down to 427 per day with 80% of them coming from Italy. Considering you have 741 million people living in Europe, not a huge problem.
  • Options
    MelloDawgMelloDawg Member Posts: 6,184

MelloDawg said:

dnc said:

dnc said:

dnc said:

Fair enough.

My wife just informed me that we need to join in and go buy shit we don't need so we're prepared

Because everyone is

Those were the first two things I bought on Sunday, also went for the “big 6 bottles of Washington wine, get a 20% discount..” You and I are the same.
  • Options
    UWhuskytskeetUWhuskytskeet Member Posts: 7,108
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer

GDS said:

HHusky said:

If you are seriously calculating the death rate from the flu by looking at CONFIRMED cases of the flu, you deserve to get your medical advice from gatewaypundit.

In Europe they are now upto 700 deaths per day. That rate is continuing to increase as icus fill up and doctors are having to treat patients in triage tents. Hopefully the draconian measures taken here can lower the rate in the US.
    It's actually down to 427 per day with 80% of them coming from Italy. Considering you have 741 million people living in Europe, not a huge problem.
    https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Around 620 today. Where are you getting your numbers?
  • Options
    WestlinnDuckWestlinnDuck Member Posts: 14,131
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Standard Supporter
    The counselor is all in at 100K US corona deaths. I'm predicting this will be even better than his hand up don't shoot mantra. 80K flu deaths in 2017-2018.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 102,079
    Swaye's Wigwam
    MelloDawg said:

MelloDawg said:

dnc said:

dnc said:

dnc said:

Fair enough.

Because everyone is

Those were the first two things I bought on Sunday, also went for the “big 6 bottles of Washington wine, get a 20% discount..” You and I are the same.
    We've always been brothers
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 42,098

The counselor is all in at 100K US corona deaths. I'm predicting this will be even better than his hand up don't shoot mantra. 80K flu deaths in 2017-2018.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/cases-updates/cases-in-us.html?CDC_AA_refVal=https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/cases-in-us.html

COVID-19: U.S. at a Glance*

Total cases: 4,226
    Total deaths: 75
    Jurisdictions reporting cases: 53 (49 states, District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, Guam, and US Virgin Islands)

* Data include both confirmed and presumptive positive cases of COVID-19 reported to CDC or tested at CDC since January 21, 2020, with the exception of testing results for persons repatriated to the United States from Wuhan, China and Japan. State and local public health departments are now testing and publicly reporting their cases. In the event of a discrepancy between CDC cases and cases reported by state and local public health officials, data reported by states should be considered the most up to date.

Still 12,000'ish behind H1N1.

• Options
    UWhuskytskeetUWhuskytskeet Member Posts: 7,108
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/cases-updates/cases-in-us.html?CDC_AA_refVal=https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/cases-in-us.html

COVID-19: U.S. at a Glance*

Total cases: 4,226
    Total deaths: 75
    Jurisdictions reporting cases: 53 (49 states, District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, Guam, and US Virgin Islands)

* Data include both confirmed and presumptive positive cases of COVID-19 reported to CDC or tested at CDC since January 21, 2020, with the exception of testing results for persons repatriated to the United States from Wuhan, China and Japan. State and local public health departments are now testing and publicly reporting their cases. In the event of a discrepancy between CDC cases and cases reported by state and local public health officials, data reported by states should be considered the most up to date.

Still 12,000'ish behind H1N1.

We just getting started.

• Options
    BearsWiinBearsWiin Member Posts: 4,965
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,940
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    80% of people who contract it have mild cold symptoms. Sheeple.
  • Options
    SECDAWGSECDAWG Member Posts: 5,004
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment

You are Exactly correct,Bill.

On the other hand, I’m surprised your still up and lucid.....
  • Options

Probably more than that, given the prevalence of asymptomatic transmission

Asymptomatic transmission seems to be driving the spread, so a LOT of people are going to get it

It'll be bad until the feds approve the existing therapeutic drugs that will knock this shit out and turn it into a bad flu season, no need to wait for a vaccine

Two months tops
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    BearsWiin said:

Asymptomatic transmission seems to be driving the spread, so a LOT of people are going to get it

It'll be bad until the feds approve the existing therapeutic drugs that will knock this shit out and turn it into a bad flu season, no need to wait for a vaccine

Two months tops
    Elaborate?
  • Options

BearsWiin said:

Two months tops
    Elaborate?
    Turns out that the protease inhibitor cocktail for HIV shows promise, and Actemra looks like it can prevent the cytokine storm that affects some severe cases. Gilead's Remdesivir is an experimental antiviral that's been getting some use in China. But the most promising are off the shelf antimalarials developed decades ago, chloroquine and hydroxychloroquine. Cheap, generic, and readily available, they've shown in multiple studies done by the Chinese, French, and Australians that they're effective therapeutically against severe cases and might actually be effective as a preventive. Ramp up production, and give it out like candy when people show up with symptoms and test positive. Very limited side effects, so there's really no reason not to
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    BearsWiin said:

BearsWiin said:

Two months tops
    Elaborate?
    Turns out that the protease inhibitor cocktail for HIV shows promise, and Actemra looks like it can prevent the cytokine storm that affects some severe cases. Gilead's Remdesivir is an experimental antiviral that's been getting some use in China. But the most promising are off the shelf antimalarials developed decades ago, chloroquine and hydroxychloroquine. Cheap, generic, and readily available, they've shown in multiple studies done by the Chinese, French, and Australians that they're effective therapeutically against severe cases and might actually be effective as a preventive. Ramp up production, and give it out like candy when people show up with symptoms and test positive. Very limited side effects, so there's really no reason not to
    Heard Dr. Drew (the love doctor) mention those two just a minute ago https://adamcarolla.com/will-sasso/

Agree, pass that shit out, let's get back to work.
  • Options

BearsWiin said:

BearsWiin said:

Two months tops
    Elaborate?
    Heard Dr. Drew (the love doctor) mention those two just a minute ago https://adamcarolla.com/will-sasso/

While they're cheap and generic, existing stores could be exhausted rather quickly. Chloroquine isn't stockpiled because it's pretty much only been used as an antimalarial, and who needs that anymore since we're not fighting the Japs in New Guinea, but hydroxychloroquine is commonly used to combat rheumatoid arthritis. But put the pharmas on notice to start making this stuff RIGHT NOW. From what I've seen a several-day regimen of hydroxychloroquine costs about $10. Multiply that by 330 million and you've got a $3.3B national bailout which is couch cushion change compared to the numbers we're hearing out of DC. Even if it only knocks out half of the cases it will have been worth it
  • Options
    RoadTripRoadTrip Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,332
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    MelloDawg said:

dnc said:

dnc said:

dnc said:

Fair enough.

Who needs TP or chicken? I went to the store last night and bought the last 2 four packs of Guiness, 6 NY steaks, some veggies, chips and a ton of bacon. Bacon solves all your problems!
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    BearsWiin said:

BearsWiin said:

BearsWiin said:

Two months tops
    Elaborate?

While they're cheap and generic, existing stores could be exhausted rather quickly. Chloroquine isn't stockpiled because it's pretty much only been used as an antimalarial, and who needs that anymore since we're not fighting the Japs in New Guinea, but hydroxychloroquine is commonly used to combat rheumatoid arthritis. But put the pharmas on notice to start making this stuff RIGHT NOW. From what I've seen a several-day regimen of hydroxychloroquine costs about $10. Multiply that by 330 million and you've got a $3.3B national bailout which is couch cushion change compared to the numbers we're hearing out of DC. Even if it only knocks out half of the cases it will have been worth it
    BRB, buying 6 cases before the run starts.