Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Evidence Shows Dir Gen of WHO Severely Overstated Death Rate of Coronavirus leading to global panic

Comments

• Options
    BendintheriverBendintheriver Member Posts: 5,473
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

MelloDawg said:

HHusky said:

If you are seriously calculating the death rate from the flu by looking at CONFIRMED cases of the flu, you deserve to get your medical advice from gatewaypundit.

This. Going to a heavily right leaning website to get your sociological and epidemiological input for a pandemic that has been highly politicized could not be a better example of looking for confirmation bias.
    Yeah. Better stick with CNN.
    LOL! So true. You can throw MSNBC, PBS, ABC, CBS and NBC on the dung pile as well. Three years of being wrong.
  • Options
    DJDuckDJDuck Member Posts: 5,970
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    edited March 2020
    dnc said:

dnc said:

Yeah you're wrong on this, it is significantly more deadly than the flu. And even if this analysis is correct, it's significantly more contagious than the flu, which will make it more deadly.

Its not the fact that it is contagious and can bring deaths with it, especially in the elderly, it is the scare tactics. People react just how they did here. No toilet paper (why?), bulk buying foods that are not available for those that need it most, panic buying and hoarding.

Driving panic is stupid. People are waiting in lines for 5 hours at shopping centers. 1000's of people close together, freaking out. Putting themselves at risk when it didn't need to be that way. The risk to those who are not sick and vulnerable is minimal.

Seriously, can someone explain to me why the run on toilet paper? Are people going to shit themselves to death? People are so deranged. I went to the store this afternoon and there is no fresh chicken, red meat, TP, but the vegetables and fruit are untouched. Same with canned veggies, rice, pasta.
    All the idiots who keep comparing this to the flu is why people keep buying toilet paper. Or at least why they started buying it. Once it became a hot item everyone else just panic falls in line.

It's not like the flu. It's not going to give you diarrhea.
    And you know this is why people are buying toilet paper how? Another assumption profered as logic and fact.

• Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

dnc said:

dnc said:

Yeah you're wrong on this, it is significantly more deadly than the flu. And even if this analysis is correct, it's significantly more contagious than the flu, which will make it more deadly.

Its not the fact that it is contagious and can bring deaths with it, especially in the elderly, it is the scare tactics. People react just how they did here. No toilet paper (why?), bulk buying foods that are not available for those that need it most, panic buying and hoarding.

Driving panic is stupid. People are waiting in lines for 5 hours at shopping centers. 1000's of people close together, freaking out. Putting themselves at risk when it didn't need to be that way. The risk to those who are not sick and vulnerable is minimal.

Seriously, can someone explain to me why the run on toilet paper? Are people going to shit themselves to death? People are so deranged. I went to the store this afternoon and there is no fresh chicken, red meat, TP, but the vegetables and fruit are untouched. Same with canned veggies, rice, pasta.
    All the idiots who keep comparing this to the flu is why people keep buying toilet paper. Or at least why they started buying it. Once it became a hot item everyone else just panic falls in line.

The flu rarely causes diarrhea. Especially in adults. Thats one of the great myths that won't die. The flu is a respiratory disease. But decades of moms saying their kid who is throwing up with diarrhea had the "flu" or even worse "a touch of the flu" or the "24 hour flu" has left millions not knowing what the flu is. Especially since people won't get flu shots and say "I got the shotonce and got the flu anyway" when in fact the had food poisoning or something like the Norovirus.

https://www.webmd.com/cold-and-flu/what-is-flu
    Fair enough.

Perception is reality though. People hear "it's the flu" and went and bought TP to prepare for that which they will not face.
  • Options
    DJDuck said:

dnc said:

dnc said:

And you know this is why people are buying toilet paper how? Another assumption profered as logic and fact.

I'm all ears for your theory.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    GDS said:

HHusky said:

If you are seriously calculating the death rate from the flu by looking at CONFIRMED cases of the flu, you deserve to get your medical advice from gatewaypundit.

In Europe they are now upto 700 deaths per day. That rate is continuing to increase as icus fill up and doctors are having to treat patients in triage tents. Hopefully the draconian measures taken here can lower the rate in the US.
    Panic

Actually with all due respect Scott that’s Bull

“As of March 17, 2020, there have been 2,764 deaths in Europe overall due to the coronavirus (COVID-19) since the first recorded European death in France on February 15. The vast majority of deaths have occurred in Italy at 2,158. March 16 was the virus' deadliest day so far in Europe with 593 deaths recorded in 13 different European countries.”

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1102288/coronavirus-deaths-development-europe/
  • Options
    edited March 2020

dnc said:

dnc said:

dnc said:

The flu rarely causes diarrhea. Especially in adults. Thats one of the great myths that won't die. The flu is a respiratory disease. But decades of moms saying their kid who is throwing up with diarrhea had the "flu" or even worse "a touch of the flu" or the "24 hour flu" has left millions not knowing what the flu is. Especially since people won't get flu shots and say "I got the shotonce and got the flu anyway" when in fact the had food poisoning or something like the Norovirus.

Fair enough.

Perception is reality though. People hear "it's the flu" and went and bought TP to prepare for that which they will not face.
    No. Facts are reality. Misinformation and failure to grasp facts leads to panic, fear and irrational behavior that harms people.

The reality is people are hoarding TP the are uneducated emotional sheep who get lead are on drugs by the nose. That's the fact.

I honestly don't disagree.

I'm just telling you what made their idiot brains buy TP.
  • Options
    dnc said:

dnc said:

dnc said:

dnc said:

Fair enough.

No. Facts are reality. Misinformation and failure to grasp facts leads to panic, fear and irrational behavior that harms people.

The reality is people are hoarding TP the are uneducated emotional sheep who get lead are on drugs by the nose. That's the fact.

dnc said:

dnc said:

dnc said:

dnc said:

Fair enough.

But you have absolutely no facts to back up that opinion whatsoever. You have no idea what motivates these people, whether they are uneducated or whatever. You are the biased moron here.

Do other people here think people are hoarding TP Because they are “uneducated emotional sheep” that fear diarrhea?

• Options
    SFGbobSFGbob Member Posts: 31,922
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    GDS said:

HHusky said:

In Europe they are now upto 700 deaths per day. That rate is continuing to increase as icus fill up and doctors are having to treat patients in triage tents. Hopefully the draconian measures taken here can lower the rate in the US.
    Trump's fault, right O'Keefed?
  • Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,753
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Here's the numbers for suspected flu cases this 2019-2020 flu season.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/weeklyarchives2019-2020/data/senAllregt10.html

Around 130,000-150,000 people get seen every week in the USA for it.
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    GDSGDS Member Posts: 1,470
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    DJDuck said:

GDS said:

HHusky said:

Panic

Actually with all due respect Scott that’s Bull

“As of March 17, 2020, there have been 2,764 deaths in Europe overall due to the coronavirus (COVID-19) since the first recorded European death in France on February 15. The vast majority of deaths have occurred in Italy at 2,158. March 16 was the virus' deadliest day so far in Europe with 593 deaths recorded in 13 different European countries.”

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1102288/coronavirus-deaths-development-europe/
    And as of today at 18:00 GMT we are over 700 for the day.

Your data confirms my point that the rate is continuing to increase.
  • Options
    edited March 2020

DJDuck said:

dnc said:

dnc said:

dnc said:

dnc said:

Fair enough.

dnc said:

dnc said:

dnc said:

dnc said:

Fair enough.

But you have absolutely no facts to back up that opinion whatsoever. You have no idea what motivates these people, whether they are uneducated or whatever. You are the biased moron here.

Do other people here think people are hoarding TP Because they are “uneducated emotional sheep” that fear diarrhea?

This dude has at least 500 rolls stashed in his trailer.

DJDuck said:

dnc said:

dnc said:

dnc said:

dnc said:

Fair enough.

dnc said:

dnc said:

dnc said:

dnc said:

Fair enough.

This dude has at least 500 rolls stashed in his trailer.
    Another moron dude. Get prepared, buy a bidet Perhaps. They are a pretty cheap addition.

Do you simpleton Dudes just deal in logically fallacious ad hominem attacks because you have nothing to offer in a debate?

• Options
  • Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dnc said:

dnc said:

dnc said:

dnc said:

Fair enough.

Well. You seemed to think the flu caused diarrhea, so I suppose you would know.
  • Options
    MelloDawgMelloDawg Member Posts: 6,200

dnc said:

dnc said:

dnc said:

Fair enough.

But if they are that uneducated and prone to groupthink as you say, they were going to do that regardless of the information they're getting or its source. The problem is that now regular folks such as you and I (but more me because I'm more regular) are now the ones going to get TP because we might need it down the road after all the crazies keep buying it. The same goes for chicken.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 102,226
    Swaye's Wigwam
    MelloDawg said:

dnc said:

dnc said:

dnc said:

Fair enough.

But if they are that uneducated and prone to groupthink as you say, they were going to do that regardless of the information they're getting or its source. The problem is that now regular folks such as you and I (but more me because I'm more regular) are now the ones going to get TP because we might need it down the road after all the crazies keep buying it. The same goes for chicken.
    My wife just informed me that we need to join in and go buy shit we don't need so we're prepared

Because everyone is

I need wine and rib steaks