Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Favorite Scotch Whisky Region/Style?

Comments

• Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 34,078
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Islay

We must ban PurpleBaze

Don’t make me put on mod fatwa down on you Yousef.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,971
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Fuck Scotch

I will add, drinking Lowland scotch is like drinking piss.

Never drink scotch on the rocks or with an ice ball. It shows you're a novice, and likely a gigantic wuss. If the scotch is too strong, just give it literally a single drop or two of water. It changes the entire makeup of your pour.

I was actually schooled on that in an Edinburgh pub. We bought a couple flights of whisky (as the Scots call scotch) and they delivered it along with a little glass of water and a straw. I’m like WTF is this for? They go on to explain a DROP or two of water is allowable. A DROP!!!

A couple of the whiskys ripped holes in my esophagus but I’d be damned if I was going to pussy out and use the straw dropper.
  • Options
    PandaOrangeChiknDuckPandaOrangeChiknDuck Member Posts: 545
    First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    edited January 2020
    Highlands

Never drink scotch on the rocks or with an ice ball. It shows you're a novice, and likely a gigantic wuss. If the scotch is too strong, just give it literally a single drop or two of water. It changes the entire makeup of your pour.

I was actually schooled on that in an Edinburgh pub. We bought a couple flights of whisky (as the Scots call scotch) and they delivered it along with a little glass of water and a straw. I’m like WTF is this for? They go on to explain a DROP or two of water is allowable. A DROP!!!

A couple of the whiskys ripped holes in my esophagus but I’d be damned if I was going to pussy out and use the straw dropper.
    It’s actually a pretty cool party trick, but I agree. I still have more respect for a straw dropper than an on the rocks sipper.
  • Options
    Doog_de_JourDoog_de_Jour Member Posts: 7,958
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    Speyside

We must ban PurpleBaze

@Yousef_#1UberDriver hasn’t chipped in his $129 yet. I say mod fatwa away Yella.

No free beer (or Scotch)!
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Islay

We must ban PurpleBaze

@Yousef_#1UberDriver hasn’t chipped in his $129 yet. I say mod fatwa away Yella.

Everyone gets a free trial period or some low volume alt should they chose. I’m only using my bully pulpit to shit talk the worst offenders.
  • Options
    Doog_de_JourDoog_de_Jour Member Posts: 7,958
    Standard Supporter
    Speyside

We must ban PurpleBaze

Everyone gets a free trial period or some low volume alt should they chose. I’m only using my bully pulpit to shit talk the worst offenders.
    You are a fair and benevolent mod.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    Highlands

No, it means that you like drinking cooler beverages than warmer beverages

There are very few things I have any desire to drink at room temperature
  • Options
    spudenspuden Member Posts: 353
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Islay
    Tequilla said:

Yeah, I’m kind of in the same boat. But I don’t like ice to water down my whisky, so I keep a rocks glass in the freezer so it cools the scotch without watering it down. Not sure if that’s frowned on, but seems to work well for me.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Islay
    Tequilla said:

This issue @Tequilla is that if you like cooler beverages, single malt whisky is not for you. The dilution from ice just ruins scotch simply put. Only exception to this IMO is something like a Japanese high ball- i.e., blended scotch with some club soda.

If you like cold whiskey, best to stick with old fashioned or Manhattan. Or your go to of bourbon and coke.
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    Standard Supporter
    Speyside
    I had an outstanding 15 year scotch with my rich buddy last weekend, for life of me I can't remember which it was.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Islay

I had an outstanding 15 year scotch with my rich buddy last weekend, for life of me I can't remember which it was.

What did the bottle look like?
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    Standard Supporter
    edited January 2020
    Speyside

Delicious.

I think maybe it was Dalwhinnie.
  • Options
    Highlands

Tequilla said:

This issue @Tequilla is that if you like cooler beverages, single malt whisky is not for you. The dilution from ice just ruins scotch simply put. Only exception to this IMO is something like a Japanese high ball- i.e., blended scotch with some club soda.

If you like cold whiskey, best to stick with old fashioned or Manhattan. Or your go to of bourbon and coke.
    Yep ... which is why I generally save scotch drinking for special occasions

It can get watered down at the end if you pour too big of a glass ... why I try to go far smaller pouring size
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Islay

Delicious.

I think maybe it was Dalwhinnie.
    That's a damn good one.
  • Options
    minion_doogminion_doog Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,946
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
  • Options
    Highlands
    Tequilla said:

That's what whisky stones are for
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Islay

Tequilla said:

Try whisky stones. On the rocks used to literally mean adding cold stones from the river. As much as ice dilutes, it also dumbs your tongue to subtleties. The rocks don't get it that cold

That is unless you just like it with ice, then have it with ice.
    This is certainly better that ice. But just get a pair of stones and drink a 60 degrees like it's meant to be.
  • Options
    Highlands

Tequilla said:

Try whisky stones. On the rocks used to literally mean adding cold stones from the river. As much as ice dilutes, it also dumbs your tongue to subtleties. The rocks don't get it that cold

That is unless you just like it with ice, then have it with ice.
    I will keep an eye out for them

I’m far more on the cold side than watered down side ... unless I just don’t like the scotch that much