Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Favorite Scotch Whisky Region/Style?

Comments

• Options
    minion_doogminion_doog Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,946
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

I will add, drinking Lowland scotch is like drinking piss.

Never drink scotch on the rocks or with an ice ball. It shows you're a novice, and likely a gigantic wuss. If the scotch is too strong, just give it literally a single drop or two of water. It changes the entire makeup of your pour.

Many master distillers add just a bit of water to open the whiskey up, even at lower proofs. It's a real thing, and it does make a difference.
    I do this for sure on the high test bourbon. It makes a huge difference. Need to try again with single malt.
    I've never cared for the results of adding a few drops. Barely dents the alcohol, but is like a sledge hammer on the subtle flavors.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

@spuden Costco has Lagavulin 16 for $69.00 right now before tax. Hell of a deal. It's usually $89.00 at Total Wine.

It's far more polished than Laphroaig or Ardbeg 10.

You can get into Talisker 10 for less than $70, put it on your list to try

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iR4xOCevrb8
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 34,149
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Islay

@spuden Costco has Lagavulin 16 for $69.00 right now before tax. Hell of a deal. It's usually $89.00 at Total Wine.

You can get into Talisker 10 for less than $70, put it on your list to try

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iR4xOCevrb8
    #toosoon
  • Options
    ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    edited February 2020
    Highlands
    I met some guys from Macallan and they basically said to never add water, except as a lesson why you should never add water.
  • Options
    Mad_SonMad_Son Member Posts: 10,104
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Speyside

I met some guys from Macallan and they basically said to never add water, except as a lesson why you should never add water.

That is over-generalizing but can be true.

https://www.sipdark.com/blogs/sipdark-blog/how-and-why-you-should-use-a-whiskey-water-dropper

WHY ADD WATER TO WHISKEY?
    The main problem with adding ice to whiskey is not that water is inherently bad for whiskey – it’s that the quantity water isn’t perfectly measured. Just a tiny drop of water can change the way your whiskey tastes, and a drop too many can ruin the flavor entirely.

When you add water to your whiskey, you are changing the flavor on a molecular level. This is literally a science, meaning it’s important to start with the tiniest of drops. The amount of water you need to add depends entirely on the whiskey you’re drinking, because each bottling has such unique properties. Molecules in different kinds of whiskeys will be at different levels of solubility, meaning that adding a small drop of water will pull different flavors out of the whiskey.

People who drink hot whiskey, for instance, will bring out more oils. This can create a bitter flavor, or even bring out grassy notes. Drops of water can neutralize that change in flavor. Changes also occur when you add ice to whiskey. Fewer molecules will evaporate from the top of your glass, owing to the lower temperature. Drops of water can rebalance that, making a flavor seem less intense even at a lower temperature.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Mad_Son said:

https://www.sipdark.com/blogs/sipdark-blog/how-and-why-you-should-use-a-whiskey-water-dropper

The main problem with adding ice to whiskey is not that water is inherently bad for whiskey – it’s that the quantity water isn’t perfectly measured. Just a tiny drop of water can change the way your whiskey tastes, and a drop too many can ruin the flavor entirely.

When you add water to your whiskey, you are changing the flavor on a molecular level. This is literally a science, meaning it’s important to start with the tiniest of drops. The amount of water you need to add depends entirely on the whiskey you’re drinking, because each bottling has such unique properties. Molecules in different kinds of whiskeys will be at different levels of solubility, meaning that adding a small drop of water will pull different flavors out of the whiskey.

People who drink hot whiskey, for instance, will bring out more oils. This can create a bitter flavor, or even bring out grassy notes. Drops of water can neutralize that change in flavor. Changes also occur when you add ice to whiskey. Fewer molecules will evaporate from the top of your glass, owing to the lower temperature. Drops of water can rebalance that, making a flavor seem less intense even at a lower temperature.
    This is getting way too precious. Adding water dilutes flavor.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited February 2020
    Islay

Mad_Son said:

I’m drinkig Lagavulin 16 as I type. It’s 86 proof. Doesn’t need water. Ardbeg 10 is 92 proof. A drop of two of water helps that one as it’s above 90 proof. That’s the cut off to add or not add IMO. And even then it’s just a few drops.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Mad_Son said:

I’m drinkig Lagavulin 16 as I type. It’s 86 proof. Doesn’t need water. Ardbeg 10 is 92 proof. A drop of two of water helps that one as it’s above 90 proof. That’s the cut off to add or not add IMO. And even then it’s just a few drops.
    Rules and science are great guidelines in the beginning, drink it how you like
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Islay

Mad_Son said:

Rules and science are great guidelines in the beginning, drink it how you like
    Which is what I do. But generally the higher the proof the more it can hold up to a little water.

I made a manhattan tonight earlier with old grandad 117. Maybe the best one I’ve made. Higher proof holds together in the shaker and tastes god damned delicious.
  • Options
    Speyside

Mad_Son said:

You add a single drop of water to get different solubility oils to the surface. If you think that it tastes different because of dilution then you need to understand you don't belong in these conversations so you don't embarrass yourself in front of people you know in real life. Stick to just drinking it.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Islay
    Scotch fight!!
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Mad_Son said:

Mad_Son said:

You add a single snowflake to get different solubility oils to the surface. If you think that it tastes different because of dilution then you need to understand you don't belong in these conversations so you don't embarrass yourself in front of people you know in real life. Stick to just drinking it.
    Good lord. Cheers
  • Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,622
    Blended
    Scotch is for cunts. Except when I'm drinking it. Because I like it.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Watched this doc on Amazon Prime (it’s nothing special):

https://youtu.be/yrYjF6SMeS0

However did learn one of the biggest emerging markets for single malt Scotch is Taiwan.

That Patterson guy in the opening clip is fun, there's not enough content of his online. Does he get legit screen time in this?
  • Options
    section8section8 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,581
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Highlands
    Highlands but Speyside is a close 2nd for me. I also really like the Lagavulin. Just the right amount of peat and smoke without tasting like liquid charcoal.
  • Options
    Speyside
    Mad_Son said:

I don’t think anybody could actually enjoy drinking scotch. Enjoy the feeling, etc, but it tastes like shit. Nobody can tell me it actually tastes good and they enjoy it.

If you don't like alcohol it's because you've diluted it.

Ever since posting this picture here I have been getting tons of ads for bulk ethanol. And who says targeted advertising doesn't work?
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,816
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    Highlands
    Drinking Allan Cask Strength right now with 4 ice cold stone cubes

Not too bad for a 90+ proof
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Islay

I’m actually in my Costco alcohol phase.
    Capitalism at its best.