Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Remember the trade war

RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,328
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
Swaye's Wigwam
https://foxbusiness.com/markets/us-china-sign-historic-trade-deal

We won so no big deal

President Trump signed a landmark trade agreement with China, heralding a period of detente in a trade war between the world's two largest economies fueled by decades of complaints that Beijing was manipulating its currency and stealing trade secrets from American firms.

The pact, detailed in a 94-page document, is only the initial phase of a broader deal that Trump has said may come in as many as three sections.

"Together, we are righting the wrongs of the past," Trump said in a pomp-filled signing ceremony. "It doesn't get any bigger than this."

The agreement will help grow the U.S. economy in 2020 and 2021 by “at least a half a point of additional GDP” and “probably translate into another million jobs on top of what we’ve already done,” Larry Kudlow, director of the National Economic Council, told FOX News' "America's Newsroom" on Wednesday.

Comments

• Options
    HHuskyHHusky Member Posts: 19,131
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    The Administration declares victory. Very convincing.
  • Options
    DugdawgDugdawg Member Posts: 308
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    I understand it's the biggest deal anyone has ever seen.
    Is Henry Kissinger still alive?!?

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/jan/15/us-china-trade-deal-donald-trump

This first phase “hardly addresses in any substantive way the fundamental sources of trade and economic tensions between the two sides, which will continue to fester,” said Eswar Prasad, a Cornell economist and and former head of the International Monetary Fund’s China division.

Mary Lovely, professor of economics at Syracuse University, described the deal as a “trade truce with large state-directed purchases attached”. Even so, she wrote, “the truce is good news for the US and the world economy.”
  • Options
    GwadGwad Member Posts: 2,855
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    I heard Larry Kudlow predicted the financial crisis in 2009. Good guy.
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,741
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    Dugdawg said:

I understand it's the biggest deal anyone has ever seen.
    Is Henry Kissinger still alive?!?

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/jan/15/us-china-trade-deal-donald-trump

This first phase “hardly addresses in any substantive way the fundamental sources of trade and economic tensions between the two sides, which will continue to fester,” said Eswar Prasad, a Cornell economist and and former head of the International Monetary Fund’s China division.

Mary Lovely, professor of economics at Syracuse University, described the deal as a “trade truce with large state-directed purchases attached”. Even so, she wrote, “the truce is good news for the US and the world economy.”

Your source is a Syracuse economist?

Pffft!!!!!
  • Options
    BendintheriverBendintheriver Member Posts: 5,305
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    HHusky said:

HH and his leadership elites are poo pooing the deal. Trump just did an amazing thing. HH and his leaders all wanted to stand pat where we were when we were 500 Billion in deficit and the Chinese were stealing trillions more in IP. 8 years of BO and they did nothing. Then they bitched like whiny little wimps when Trump made his move. Now the fucking hypocrites are bitching about the deal which is clearly a great deal for the country.

Schumer and the low lifes he dictates over are out in force trying to deny the incredible thing Trump has done for the American people. It makes you wonder why they were happy letting the country lose.
  • Options

HHusky said:

HH and his leadership elites are poo pooing the deal. Trump just did an amazing thing. HH and his leaders all wanted to stand pat where we were when we were 500 Billion in deficit and the Chinese were stealing trillions more in IP. 8 years of BO and they did nothing. Then they bitched like whiny little wimps when Trump made his move. Now the fucking hypocrites are bitching about the deal which is clearly a great deal for the country.

Schumer and the low lifes he dictates over are out in force trying to deny the incredible thing Trump has done for the American people. It makes you wonder why they were happy letting the country lose.
    I’m thrilled that it’s “a great deal for the country”. Could you share the details please? Everyone else seems to be in the dark about them.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Good news for the short term markets but it's a stalling tactic by the CCP I have no doubt, just like everything they've ever agreed to in regards to the WTO etc. At least it seems like Trump understands enforcement is necessary or they'll just continue to lie.

I'm sure they are hoping Trump is gone in 2020 and Biden can give them the green light.

Also this, "Beijing also rejected a call to include a pledge not to hack US companies, arguing such a promise was not part of a trade deal." which effectively means that they'll continue tech transfer as a large portion of their GDP.

Best case scenario, this floats the economy past the world headwinds of 2020, helps Trump get re-elected, and he can double down on decoupling in the second term.

It really comes down to the fact that the economy and political system the CCP has built can't stand an actual free market.

Trump isn't declaring victory. I am. Definitely a ways to go and yes China is stalling hoping their stooge Biden wins

But still a good start
  • Options

Good news for the short term markets but it's a stalling tactic by the CCP I have no doubt, just like everything they've ever agreed to in regards to the WTO etc. At least it seems like Trump understands enforcement is necessary or they'll just continue to lie.

I'm sure they are hoping Trump is gone in 2020 and Biden can give them the green light.

Also this, "Beijing also rejected a call to include a pledge not to hack US companies, arguing such a promise was not part of a trade deal." which effectively means that they'll continue tech transfer as a large portion of their GDP.

Best case scenario, this floats the economy past the world headwinds of 2020, helps Trump get re-elected, and he can double down on decoupling in the second term.

It really comes down to the fact that the economy and political system the CCP has built can't stand an actual free market.

Sounds like the war is still on.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    HHusky said:

What does part one of three mean to you?

You can ask a friend if you need to
  • Options

HHusky said:

Regardless, just look at how the narrative has changed. No one but Trump was talking about this prior to 2016. Now it's a bipartisan issue and the only one still kowtowing is Biden.

It's also defied a lot of experts who said it would be a disaster for the US. There's no doubt that a lot of the perception and power has shifted to the US side of the table. It's the only reason that explains why the CCP would gift Trump a victory like this at all, they themselves are desperate.
    The results are very unclear. The long term effects are unknown. And it amounts to little more than a truce at this point.
  • Options

HHusky said:

What does part one of three mean to you?

You can ask a friend if you need to
    One of us declared victory. Now you’re saying two thirds of the war remains.

I guess I was right again. #TiredOfAllTheWinning
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

HHusky said:

Regardless, just look at how the narrative has changed. No one but Trump was talking about this prior to 2016. Now it's a bipartisan issue and the only one still kowtowing is Biden.

It's also defied a lot of experts who said it would be a disaster for the US. There's no doubt that a lot of the perception and power has shifted to the US side of the table. It's the only reason that explains why the CCP would gift Trump a victory like this at all, they themselves are desperate.
    H was one of the experts. Still is
  • Options
    TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,749
    SFGbob said:

Does this mean trade wars are easy or hard to win?

El Monte hardest hit

Funny you reference that Schmuck. That @Swaye poll took him out.

Like a Dawg.