Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Josh Conerly, 2022 5* OL, Seattle (Rainier Beach), WA (Offered)

Comments

• WoolleyDoogWoolleyDoog Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,465
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited November 2022
    Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

dtd said:

Funny they can’t just line up and beat Colorado. They have to pull out a bunch of gimmick plays to run up the score on an inferior team

You don't really believe that, do you?
    I believe they’re better than Colorado and the gimmicky shit was unnecessary.
    They do that shit because they can circle jerk themselves after the game and then use shit like that in recruiting going forward
    It's hate week, so this sub-thread on Oregon's gimmicky plays is understandable. I can remember when doogman and to an extent this board was full of that line of thinking during Chip's run. Now Chip is worshipped as a coaching God around here because he's not there anymore.

And, on the second part about using it for recruits ... and? If recruits see your program as perhaps an exciting place to play, isn't that a good thing? Or is it not prestigious enough.
    Whatever Oregon does has been working for them going on for 30 years …

I’m not bashing it
    The urban myth Kirk Herbstreet thing of saying Oregon is like Paris Hilton was wrong. Oregon is Kim Kardashian and for both everything just seems to work and something is clearly figured out. Every coach there the last 30 years has been a failure, and mostly dumpster fire once they're out of the Oregon halo and Bellotti was at least smart enough to know to not leave it. Almost all of their best college players have been major duds in the NFL.

Like Kim K I don't respect a fucking molecule of it and both have a ceiling but it works so whatever - ie Oregon succeeding in the cucked Pac-12 while they would suck in the SEC and Kim K social media bullshit and not trying to be like an actress or musician or anything that takes actual skill.
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,738
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    edited November 2022

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

dtd said:

Funny they can’t just line up and beat Colorado. They have to pull out a bunch of gimmick plays to run up the score on an inferior team

They do that shit because they can circle jerk themselves after the game and then use shit like that in recruiting going forward
    It's hate week, so this sub-thread on Oregon's gimmicky plays is understandable. I can remember when doogman and to an extent this board was full of that line of thinking during Chip's run. Now Chip is worshipped as a coaching God around here because he's not there anymore.

And, on the second part about using it for recruits ... and? If recruits see your program as perhaps an exciting place to play, isn't that a good thing? Or is it not prestigious enough.

I’m not bashing it
    The urban myth Kirk Herbstreet thing of saying Oregon is like Paris Hilton was wrong. Oregon is Kim Kardashian and for both everything just seems to work and something is clearly figured out. Every coach there the last 30 years has been a failure, and mostly dumpster fire once they're out of the Oregon halo and Bellotti was at least smart enough to know to not leave it. Almost all of their best college players have been major duds in the NFL.

Like Kim K I don't respect a fucking molecule of it and both have a ceiling but it works so whatever - ie Oregon succeeding in the cucked Pac-12 while they would suck in the SEC and Kim K social media bullshit and not trying to be like an actress or musician or anything that takes actual skill.
    This is where I usually get roasted, but is it true that they've been a notable egg layer in the NFL? I would say that's not the case, at least not more so or significantly more so as compared to, say, UW outside of Washington's very recent spike of sending quality DBs, which is not something it was ever known for before. I mean, this would be a long and tedious discussion, but as an old guy I'll tell you that the Huskies were always proud of their NFL production and counted among the alumni playing upstairs a bunch of average to slightly above average players and guys just occupying roster spots.

As for how they'd fare in the SEC, of course they'd struggle with the top of the order like most non-SEC programs not named Ohio State, but outside of that I'm not as sure that the full SEC schedule is quite the murderers row everybody makes it out to be. They'd be no worse off playing Miss State and Arkansas than they are playing ASU or Stanford.

But it's the thesis I've always found interesting. That thesis is there is no rational reason why Oregon should be good without some fake or untoward explanation lurking in the dark just waiting to be discovered. There are a lot of historically good programs without much going for it (e.g., the usual iron laws like being located in a big TV market, academis prowess, etc.) other than they just got the right coach at some point and got good, and that begat something of a reputation and there you have it. Why is Oklahoma good? The state doesn't produce a lot of great players, Norman sucks, OU is not academis prowess, but at some point they got good. Proximity to Texas? Yes. Oregon proximity to California? Yes.

Kardashian is famous for being famous. It's a marketing trick. Oregon has done more on the field to probably deserve a better analog.
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,738
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic

Tequilla said:

dtd said:

They did it because they knew they could beat Colorado by 30 while barely trying so they could take risks. They did it to try and get some attention in a week where there wasn't anything they could prove and to excite the virgins on Twitter that get excited about the shit they do like that and probably a little bit for recruiting so mission accomplished. Hopefully Sewell feels good about a 1-yard TD run making up for his dogshit season.

A lot of the shit they did with Chip bothered me but never in a way like this it was more stuff that I felt was ultimately meaningless like going for two after the first TD each time and the way the college football media (the aformementioned virgins) reacted to it. With Chip he also did that shit against everyone too where I feel like this was picking on a hapless bunch who you stole their best player.

I'd say you're in the minority as compared to my Husky circles and this place and certainly doogman. There's no question that Chip's coaching tenure at Oregon is generally viewed around these parts in a much, much different light than it was then. And that always confused me because the one thing I never picked up on during Chip's run was a hard on for Washington. And of course we know he let off the gas in a very obvious way against Sark at least two times that I can remember. I always thought the Chip era was the one era during which the Ducks may have lost a little hate for Washington. It's back though, and speaking of unnecessary moves, I assume you agree that Petersen and Brownlee's finger pointing 70 against and utterly defenseless Oregon team also qualifies as "look at me" unnecessary.

Lastly, I may be wrong, but the current guy at Oregon doesn't seem as interested in looking cute as perhaps some of his predecessors might have been. I believe it was to give Washington more to think about because Washington marks the beginning of the toughest run on their schedule.
  • dtddtd Member Posts: 4,029
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

Please explain how scoring on that play with the score 0-0 is running it up? We did this shit under Chip as well. Nothing wrong with throwing in a couple winkles that future opponents have to prepare for.

The is actually a very good difference from Cristobal. However, our defense still looks like shit.
    You were going to beat Colorado by 39 regardless of the play being used
    One doog says "Oregon scared of UW has to put new things on tape for the Dwags!". Other doog says "Oregon can't beat Colorado without gimmicks!".

STFU, you didn't even watch the game. The first two touchdowns were the "gimmick" plays. The other "gimmick" one was a fucking fullback dive, and was the 3rd score.
  • JoeEDangerouslyJoeEDangerously Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 6,092
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    dtd said:

Please explain how scoring on that play with the score 0-0 is running it up? We did this shit under Chip as well. Nothing wrong with throwing in a couple winkles that future opponents have to prepare for.

The is actually a very good difference from Cristobal. However, our defense still looks like shit.
    One doog says "Oregon scared of UW has to put new things on tape for the Dwags!". Other doog says "Oregon can't beat Colorado without gimmicks!".

STFU, you didn't even watch the game. The first two touchdowns were the "gimmick" plays. The other "gimmick" one was a fucking fullback dive, and was the 3rd score.
    I actually agree with Teq and I said it was unnecessary. I didn’t say anything about struggling to beat Colorado without it.
  • SFGbobSFGbob Member Posts: 31,920
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    edited November 2022

I think those plays were to give Washington more shit for which they have to prepare. Oregon was never not in control of that game.
    I think the fact that they knew game day was the kid's birthday probably had more than anything to do with that play.
  • haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,428
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dtd said:

Holy fuck. Whooooooooshh.

No one gives a fuck about Oregon's trick plays. They care that Oregon gets a scrimmage before their rivalry game.

Use Conerly as a tight end for all you want. Fine with that as long as he tears his Achilles.
  • dtddtd Member Posts: 4,029
    Standard Supporter

dtd said:

I actually agree with Teq and I said it was unnecessary. I didn’t say anything about struggling to beat Colorado without it.
    lol wat

• rodmansragerodmansrage Member Posts: 6,015

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

dtd said:

I’m not bashing it

so, puddles has a sex tape out there?

(pls do not post gif of duck boner, recruits read this bored)
  • 46XiJCAB46XiJCAB Member Posts: 20,967
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Sewell played some FB in HS. Nothing trick about it.
    Founders Club
    dtd said:

dtd said:

lol wat

Where does it say struggle?
  • WoolleyDoogWoolleyDoog Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,465
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    46XiJCAB said:

Sewell played some FB in HS. Nothing trick about it.

You're right. I think defending a passing play might be more of a trick play for him then a one-yard run against one of the worst teams in conference history.
  • HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,520
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    haie said:

Wdw that fatty anymore.

But we(?) do still want Caleb Pressley right and what are the chances of flipping him now.
    Founders Club
    HFNY said:

haie said:

Wdw that fatty anymore.

But we(?) do still want Caleb Pressley right and what are the chances of flipping him now.
    If he takes money and hype then shame on him
    Founders Club

HFNY said:

haie said:

Wdw that fatty anymore.

Or we could act like a real program and financially play the game. Hype is stupid.

Kids getting cash is what it is. They are not amateurs any more even though our athletic dept likes to pretend they are.
    Why get in a bidding war for a kid who hasn’t played a down of college football? Besides he will likely be replaced by a transfer in two years because of their poor history on bad development
  • HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,520
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Standard Supporter

HFNY said:

haie said:

Wdw that fatty anymore.

Might as well bring in a JC or transfer CB and flip Pressley #abundance

Or we could act like a real program and financially play the game. Hype is stupid.

Kids getting cash is what it is. They are not amateurs any more even though our athletic dept likes to pretend they are.
    Why get in a bidding war for a kid who hasn’t played a down of college football? Besides he will likely be replaced by a transfer in two years because of their poor history on bad development
    because then you end up starting jaivion green and jordan perryman at outside corner