Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Live look at Oregon recruiting

Comments

• Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,741
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic

lawsandl said:

Lol, what does he have to do to get your “developer” tag? He took kids like Barber (off the field issues not talent prevented him from signing), Cooper, Vaeao and the played a major role with Ekuale and Hercules in making the all conference type players. A lot of why WSU was in a good spot after he left was because he identified talent and developed there.

UW mowed over his WSU D-lines every year. Will be no different at Oregon. He's just not recruiting well enough. I'd be calling for him to be fired if I was were you but I guess you have lower standards.
  • Options
    dtddtd Member Posts: 4,044
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    lawsandl said:

He won’t break out this year. Hopefully he redshirts. Also, big Joe has better incoming talent than he did at Wazzu. Lol.

Until last year he was a huge failure recruiting DL despite us being *absolutely desperate* with tons of PT available.
  • Options
    lawsandllawsandl Member Posts: 1,555
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    dtd said:

lawsandl said:

He won’t break out this year. Hopefully he redshirts. Also, big Joe has better incoming talent than he did at Wazzu. Lol.

Until last year he was a huge failure recruiting DL despite us being *absolutely desperate* with tons of PT available.
    In 2017 he was hired in December(ish) and landed Faoliu with Popo, Rutger and Scott in the fold. Later Young was acquired.

2018 he takes Vea Kava and Drew Faoliu.

I think the fan base expected too much. The first class was what could be expected. His second was disappointing. His third was good.

The good news is Vea Kava and Drew Faoliu look like they will contribute in their second year. So, he’s identifying and developing.

Shipley and Afaese are C+ players in a class devoid of solid B or A talent. Van Fillinger has great testing numbers but is small and doesn’t have great tape and underperformed in camps.

Besides, there are dudes like Swinson and Harris that are still being recruited that grade the same or better.
  • Options
    dtddtd Member Posts: 4,044
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    lawsandl said:

dtd said:

lawsandl said:

In 2017 he was hired in December(ish) and landed Faoliu with Popo, Rutger and Scott in the fold. Later Young was acquired.

I think the fan base expected too much. The first class was what could be expected. His second was disappointing. His third was good.

The good news is Vea Kava and Drew Faoliu look like they will contribute in their second year. So, he’s identifying and developing.

Shipley and Afaese are C+ players in a class devoid of solid B or A talent. Van Fillinger has great testing numbers but is small and doesn’t have great tape and underperformed in camps.

Besides, there are dudes like Swinson and Harris that are still being recruited that grade the same or better.
    That's one starter in Austin Faoliu. Meanwhile we run a 3-4 and literally have no backup 0 tech despite it being arguably the single biggest position of need on the defense for a number of years running.
  • Options
    dtd said:

lawsandl said:

dtd said:

lawsandl said:

That's one starter in Austin Faoliu. Meanwhile we run a 3-4 and literally have no backup 0 tech despite it being arguably the single biggest position of need on the defense for a number of years running.
    We’ll see what happens with Vea Kava. Aumave looked serviceable finally in the O tech against MSU but that OL was terrible (though center being a strength). Popo was still recovering strength from his frosh year shoulder injury, so it’s a good sign that he contributed good snaps in the bowl game. I am hoping he is someone we hear about in camp. Also, Poti is strong enough to play the zero and he doesn’t need to be 330. Especially since Dorlus and Williams will be huge 3-4 ends. He’s generously listed at 6’2” and if he ends up 305 or so, he’s very capable with his strength numbers.
  • Options
    BallzBallz Member Posts: 4,735
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs
    lawsandl said:

lawsandl said:

Lol, what does he have to do to get your “developer” tag? He took kids like Barber (off the field issues not talent prevented him from signing), Cooper, Vaeao and the played a major role with Ekuale and Hercules in making the all conference type players. A lot of why WSU was in a good spot after he left was because he identified talent and developed there.

UW mowed over his WSU D-lines every year. Will be no different at Oregon. He's just not recruiting well enough. I'd be calling for him to be fired if I was you but I guess you have lower standards.
    Right, because you mowed down Oregon’s DL for whooping 24 points in regulation.

UW didn't have a problem moving the ball on Oregon last season. They should have ran the ball more because it was working, even with McGrew and Pleasant in the game in the second half.
  • Options

lawsandl said:

lawsandl said:

UW mowed over his WSU D-lines every year. Will be no different at Oregon. He's just not recruiting well enough. I'd be calling for him to be fired if I was you but I guess you have lower standards.

UW didn't have a problem moving the ball on Oregon last season. They should have ran the ball more because it was working, even with McGrew and Pleasant in the game in the second half.
    There's really not any statistical evidence to support that claim.

First of all, UW ran the ball 66% of the time. You are in diminishing returns territory if you go beyond that. Secondly, outside of Gaskin, you couldn't sustain successful drives with a 4.1 ypc and the variance there was in outcomes. You had rate at a 33% unsuccessful rate in the run game that put you behind the chains with over 10% rate in negative plays.

Bottom line the running game was pretty mediocre and more of it wasn't the answer, especially with Gaskin hurt.

• Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,328
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Browning had money on Oregon
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    lawsandl said:

lawsandl said:

lawsandl said:

First of all, UW ran the ball 66% of the time. You are in diminishing returns territory if you go beyond that. Secondly, outside of Gaskin, you couldn't sustain successful drives with a 4.1 ypc and the variance there was in outcomes. You had rate at a 33% unsuccessful rate in the run game that put you behind the chains with over 10% rate in negative plays.

Bottom line the running game was pretty mediocre and more of it wasn't the answer, especially with Gaskin hurt.

UW out gained Oregon on the road and had a pretty good day rushing the ball even without Myles Gaskin in the second half. Oregon's D-line did not outperform UW's O-line. Oregon's D-line recruiting is getting worse, not better. UW will have no problem running the ball on Oregon for years to come. No more stacking the box because you know noodle arm can't beat you deep. Our next QB's can all bomb it down the field and we have and are getting the WR talent to go deep. Oregon can either get ran on or get the ball thrown over their heads, take your pick.
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,741
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic

lawsandl said:

lawsandl said:

lawsandl said:

UW out gained Oregon on the road and had a pretty good day rushing the ball even without Myles Gaskin in the second half. Oregon's D-line did not outperform UW's O-line. Oregon's D-line recruiting is getting worse, not better. UW will have no problem running the ball on Oregon for years to come. No more stacking the box because you know noodle arm can't beat you deep. Our next QB's can all bomb it down the field and we have and are getting the WR talent to go deep. Oregon can either get ran run on or get the ball thrown over their heads, take your pick.
  • Options

lawsandl said:

lawsandl said:

lawsandl said:

UW out gained Oregon on the road and had a pretty good day rushing the ball even without Myles Gaskin in the second half. Oregon's D-line did not outperform UW's O-line. Oregon's D-line recruiting is getting worse, not better. UW will have no problem running the ball on Oregon for years to come. No more stacking the box because you know noodle arm can't beat you deep. Our next QB's can all bomb it down the field and we have and are getting the WR talent to go deep. Oregon can either get ran run on or get the ball thrown over their heads, take your pick.
    Ran on.
  • Options

lawsandl said:

lawsandl said:

lawsandl said:

UW out gained Oregon on the road and had a pretty good day rushing the ball even without Myles Gaskin in the second half. Oregon's D-line did not outperform UW's O-line. Oregon's D-line recruiting is getting worse, not better. UW will have no problem running the ball on Oregon for years to come. No more stacking the box because you know noodle arm can't beat you deep. Our next QB's can all bomb it down the field and we have and are getting the WR talent to go deep. Oregon can either get ran on or get the ball thrown over their heads, take your pick.
    Lol, Oregon played a 3-4 cover 3 for most of that game and played UWs' run game in check with a 7 man box except on short yardage. Oregon played a deep safety and bailed two dbs on almost every play. I have looked at that game three ways to Sunday. Your prognosis is not steeped in anything analytical.

1 - all the running backs on your roster are no where near as consistent as Gaskins. If you look at the standard deviation of their outcomes, it's almost twice for Ahmed. Unfortunately, Ahmed is not the type of back to regularly get 5 yards. After two years of regular playing time, expecting something different is hopeful. Pleasant was no different except the smaller sample size.

2 - Oregon's dline is trending up not down. There is nothing remotely close about this take. Last year's dline was the 85 composite club. Carlberg, Faoliu, Scott, Baker and Cumberlander were all 84 or 85 composite players. Jelks was the highest rated as a sub 87 composite. You're basing this on your feelings and nothing is grounded in facts. Like literally every player that Big Joe has recruited is rated as good as or better than this current senior group. Afease and Shipley are par for the course for Oregon on the DL. Last class was a nice uptick.

3- Eason has shown nothing that demonstrates he has it between the ears. He has all the arm talent in the world. He just doesn't have the fortitude you want in a superstar. Most kids that go in the first round have a 1) superb talent and 2) a worth ethic second to none. That 2) is why Fromm is the starter at Georgia. Also, Hamden is telling kids on the trail that Haener is a legit contender to be the starter. There is no way Haener should be getting the amount of #1 snaps he did in spring if there weren't some truth to this. If Eason is the clear cut starter, the staff is a) trying to light a fire under Eason's ass or b) following a process to a fault. Those aren't good options. When reading the tea leaves, I assume competency. What I am saying isn't all tea leaves either (let's just say it's more than scuttlebutt).

4 - Unless the pass rush doesn't improve for UW, Eason is either going to be Mr. Dump Off or a wounded by a duck. Brown had 4.7 speed and was slippery. Eason is more like Mettenberger.

There are like no 1st or 2nd team conference players in your front seven going into the season. There are a lot of reason to think this game will come down to wire again.

• Options
    edited July 2019
    lawsandl said:

lawsandl said:

lawsandl said:

lawsandl said:

Lol, Oregon played a 3-4 cover 3 for most of that game and played UWs' run game in check with a 7 man box except on short yardage. Oregon played a deep safety and bailed two dbs on almost every play. I have looked at that game three ways to Sunday. Your prognosis is not steeped in anything analytical.

1 - all the running backs on your roster are no where near as consistent as Gaskins. If you look at the standard deviation of their outcomes, it's almost twice for Ahmed. Unfortunately, Ahmed is not the type of back to regularly get 5 yards. After two years of regular playing time, expecting something different is hopeful. Pleasant was no different except the smaller sample size.

2 - Oregon's dline is trending up not down. There is nothing remotely close about this take. Last year's dline was the 85 composite club. Carlberg, Faoliu, Scott, Baker and Cumberlander were all 84 or 85 composite players. Jelks was the highest rated as a sub 87 composite. You're basing this on your feelings and nothing is grounded in facts. Like literally every player that Big Joe has recruited is rated as good as or better than this current senior group. Afease and Shipley are par for the course for Oregon on the DL. Last class was a nice uptick.

3- Eason has shown nothing that demonstrates he has it between the ears. He has all the arm talent in the world. He just doesn't have the fortitude you want in a superstar. Most kids that go in the first round have a 1) superb talent and 2) a worth ethic second to none. That 2) is why Fromm is the starter at Georgia. Also, Hamden is telling kids on the trail that Haener is a legit contender to be the starter. There is no way Haener should be getting the amount of #1 snaps he did in spring if there weren't some truth to this. If Eason is the clear cut starter, the staff is a) trying to light a fire under Eason's ass or b) following a process to a fault. Those aren't good options. When reading the tea leaves, I assume competency. What I am saying isn't all tea leaves either (let's just say it's more than scuttlebutt).

4 - Unless the pass rush doesn't improve for UW, Eason is either going to be Mr. Dump Off or a wounded by a duck. Brown had 4.7 speed and was slippery. Eason is more like Mettenberger.

There are like no 1st or 2nd team conference players in your front seven going into the season. There are a lot of reason to think this game will come down to wire again.

Ahmed will be the best back in the conference. He's elite.

Your D-line recruiting is shit and has been shit for a long time. If Jordon Scott and Austin Fauloaloalo are the best D-lineman on your roster, that means your D-line recruiting has been absolute shit. Stacking more 3-stars on top of that is not an improvement. It's shit recruiting dude. You're a quook if you disagree.

How do you go from saying "Eason has shown nothing" to "He doesn't have what it takes to be a superstar". That's a contradiction. How the fuck would you know what his potential is? He hasn't played for us yet. Hamdan isn't telling anybody shit about Haener. What the fuck are you talking about? You're just making shit up at this point. Haener was an interception machine all of Spring ball. He has no shot. Petersen is just waiting for Eason to really assert himself as the guy in Fall camp. Just because he's talented doesn't mean the offense has fully clicked for him yet. It takes time. He's had two Spring balls running UW"s offense. The rest of the time was on scout team running other team's plays. That's not a lot of reps running UW's offense.

Let's not forget Sam Darnold didn't blow away USC's coaches in Spring ball or Fall camp before becoming the starter a couple of games into the season. Some guys just need to be named the starter before they can really take off and perform at a high level. Nobody is surprised Eason hasn't blown everybody away. He has one season of playing experience and is still learning UW's offense.

The bottom line is, Jacob Eason is very talented and started as a true Freshman for Georgia and was better as a true Freshman at Georgia than Herbert was as a true Freshman at Oregon. Did he have great stats? No, but he made some throws as a true Freshman that Herbert has yet to make as a three-year starter. If he's good enough for Georgia, he's good enough for UW. Nobody knows what he will become at UW. But your constant doubting of him is clearly biased and retarded. You haven't seen him play a down for UW. You don't know anything. You just HOPE he doesn't pan out.

Leave it to a quook to be all about pre-season all-conference picks. Quooks are all about hype. We're all about substance and post-season all-conference picks here. How would anybody be able to accurately pick how many all-conference players UW is going to have when they don't even know who most of UW's starters will be? Pre-season all-conference picks are based on returning experience and that's it. They don't reflect how talented a team is. UW will have the most talented team in the North and likely the conference.
  • Options

lawsandl said:

lawsandl said:

lawsandl said:

lawsandl said:

Your D-line recruiting is shit and has been shit for a long time. If Jordon Scott and Austin Fauloaloalo are the best D-lineman on your roster, that means your D-line recruiting has been absolute shit. Stacking more 3-stars on top of that is not an improvement. It's shit recruiting dude. You're a quook if you disagree.

How do you go from saying "Eason has shown nothing" to "He doesn't have what it takes to be a superstar". That's a contradiction. How the fuck would you know what his potential is? He hasn't played for us yet. Hamdan isn't telling anybody shit about Haener. What the fuck are you talking about? You're just making shit up at this point. Haener was an interception machine all of Spring ball. He has no shot. Petersen is just waiting for Eason to really assert himself as the guy in Fall camp. Just because he's talented doesn't mean the offense has fully clicked for him yet. It takes time. He's had two Spring balls running UW"s offense. The rest of the time was on scout team running other team's plays. That's not a lot of reps running UW's offense.

Let's not forget Sam Darnold didn't blow away USC's coaches in Spring ball or Fall camp before becoming the starter a couple of games into the season. Some guys just need to be named the starter before they can really take off and perform at a high level. Nobody is surprised Eason hasn't blown everybody away. He has one season of playing experience and is still learning UW's offense.

The bottom line is, Jacob Eason is very talented and started as a true Freshman for Georgia and was better as a true Freshman at Georgia than Herbert was as a true Freshman at Oregon. Did he have great stats? No, but he made some throws as a true Freshman that Herbert has yet to make as a three-year starter. If he's good enough for Georgia, he's good enough for UW. Nobody knows what he will become at UW. But your constant doubting of him is clearly biased and retarded. You haven't seen him play a down for UW. You don't know anything. You just HOPE he doesn't pan out.

Leave it to a quook to be all about pre-season all-conference picks. Quooks are all about hype. We're all about substance and post-season all-conference picks here. How would anybody be able to accurately pick how many all-conference players UW is going to have when they don't even know who most of UW's starters will be? Pre-season all-conference picks are based on returning experience and that's it. They don't reflect how talented a team is. UW will have the most talented team in the North and likely the conference.
    On two separate occasions I've heard the exact same thing from two different people that spoke directly to the UW Staff. One to Jimmy Lake and the other to Bush Hamden and both coaches said that Eason is not ahead of Haener as of spring camp. They had no reason to lie and there are good reasons for them talking to the staff. Take it for what it is. Eason very well could be a "gamer" but most special qbs get talked about during a redshirt season in a positive light. The scuttlebutt on Mariota during his redshirt frosh year was deafening. The same goes for LaMichael James.

Btw, I am not saying Eason is bombing out. It's far from that really.

Also, on the lack of all conference picks, it has nothing to do with anyone else. It has everything to do with UW. This has to be the first time in several years where no one is on the 1st or 2nd team preseason pick for your front seven. It should give you some pause. UW has a high floor, so don't get me wrong here either.

• Options
    edited July 2019
    lawsandl said:

lawsandl said:

lawsandl said:

lawsandl said:

lawsandl said:

On two separate occasions I've heard the exact same thing from two different people that spoke directly to the UW Staff. One to Jimmy Lake and the other to Bush Hamden and both coaches said that Eason is not ahead of Haener as of spring camp. They had no reason to lie and there are good reasons for them talking to the staff. Take it for what it is. Eason very well could be a "gamer" but most special qbs get talked about during a redshirt season in a positive light. The scuttlebutt on Mariota during his redshirt frosh year was deafening. The same goes for LaMichael James.

Also, on the lack of all conference picks, it has nothing to do with anyone else. It has everything to do with UW. This has to be the first time in several years where no one is on the 1st or 2nd team preseason pick for your front seven. It should give you some pause. UW has a high floor, so don't get me wrong here either.

Neither has Petersen. It's called lip service. As long as a QB competition is going on no coach is going to divulge which QB is in the lead. Petersen runs a tight ship. You're not going to get anything out of any of his assistants. But we saw it with our own eyes during Spring ball. Haener turned it over way more than Eason. Eason has a clear lead going into Fall camp. If you want to talk rumors the prevalent rumor we've heard is the QB competition is fake and they're just trying to prevent Haener from transferring before the season because they value his experience in the offense as the primary back up and they need the depth at QB.

Again, pre-season all-conference picks are meaningless speculation based who is the most experienced and had the best stats last season. I know more about UW than any of the media members voting for all-conference teams. Levi Onwuzurike is better than any D-lineman on Oregon's roster and will be 1st or 2nd team all-conference when the season is over. I have zero worries about UW's front seven. They will be better than last season.
  • Options
    KrunkJuiceKrunkJuice Member Posts: 2,046
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    lawsandl said:

lawsandl said:

lawsandl said:

lawsandl said:

lawsandl said:

There are reported recaps from reporters that at the very least Haener was well into the double digits in INT's where Eason had 3. This doesn't include 2 practices on a Saturday where media wasn't let in. This is typical Petersen. Nobody is buying a QB competition. What is else is the coaching staff suppose to say.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Levi isn’t Gaines, Qualls or Vea and you know it and the dudes around him that have played aren’t the next Levi O or Johnson. Your returning front seven talent are all JAGS. Levi is an above average player and Tryon will be good. Outside of those two they’re not special. What you’re saying is guys that never played a snap will level up the defense.

Lol

• Options
    edited July 2019
    lawsandl said:

Levi isn’t Gaines, Qualls or Vea and you know it and the dudes around him that have played aren’t the next Levi O or Johnson. Your returning front seven talent are all JAGS. Levi is an above average player and Tryon will be good. Outside of those two they’re not special. What you’re saying is guys that never played a snap will level up the defense.

Lol

Levi will be drafted no lower than the 2nd round when he leaves UW. He's going to be a breakout player for UW this season. Lol JAGs? So Taki Taimani and Tuli Letuligasenoa are JAGS now? That's weird, I seem to remember those guys being able to go anywhere in the country when they were recruits. But just because they haven't played yet they're JAGs? Sure bud.

Member how Gaines and Vea were pretty good as RS Freshman? Especially Gaines? Same thing applies with those two. Gaines actually said they were both more advanced than he was as a Freshman. Then you got Benning Potoa'e who's a perfect fit inside at DT. His quickness is hard for interior lineman to deal with and he's a stout run stopper. Josiah Bronson is talented as well and will be in the rotation. A couple of the true Freshman can't be counted out as well. Paama and Bandes are Vea and Gaines 2.0. Tryon is the headliner at OLB but Bowman, Ngata, and Rice can all get after the QB as well. You'll just have to wait and see man. UW is a defensive powerhouse and have leveled up in recruiting every year. This UW defense will dominate.
  • Options

lawsandl said:

Lol

Levi will be drafted no lower than the 2nd round when he leaves UW. He's going to be a breakout player for UW this season. Lol JAGs? So Taki Taimani and Tuli Letuligasenoa are JAGS now? That's weird, I seem to remember those guys being able to go anywhere in the country when they were recruits. But just because they haven't played yet they're JAGs? Sure bud.

Member how Gaines and Vea were pretty good as RS Freshman? Especially Gaines? Same thing applies with those two. Gaines actually said they were both more advanced than he was as a Freshman. Then you got Benning Potoa'e who's a perfect fit inside at DT. His quickness is hard for interior lineman to deal with and he's a stout run stopper. Josiah Bronson is talented as well and will be in the rotation. A couple of the true Freshman can't be counted out as well. Paama and Bandes are Vea and Gaines 2.0. Tryon is the headliner at OLB but Bowman, Ngata, and Rice can all get after the QB as well. You'll just have to wait and see man. UW is a defensive powerhouse and have leveled up in recruiting every year. This UW defense will dominate.
    Nope. They won’t.