Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

For my rum fam! Pregunta! Cuba Libre!

SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,064
First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
Founders Club
So, summer is here, it's hot as fuck, and I am about to finally get my cigar on. Makes me think, I want to sit out on the back porch in the evening and take in my classic Cuba Libre and stogie. I've never been fancy here, because outside of nice watches I've always been a degenerate loser who drinks cheap beer and falls down. But, in the spirit (lulz) of my newfound baller status, I'm trying to class the classic up. Guy I work with swears by adding a splash of vermouth and a lime, because when added to the coke and rum it becomes magical and really ups the game on this most simple of drinks. But he is mostly an idiot so I do not fully trust him here. Plus, what the fuck do I know about Vermouth anyway? Sounds classy. So I need advice.

Welp, I KNOW this place has game when it comes to drinking good shit, so help me out. What's your recipe for adding some zip and panache to the old classic Cuba Libre?

I am normally a Bacardi guy, but open to suggestions across the board on how to have a rock star rum based summer stogie pleasure experience.

@Dennis_DeYoung you better weigh in here

Comments

• Options
    USMChawkUSMChawk Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,796
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    If you like spiced rums I’d recommend Bacardi Oakheart or Sailor Jerry. I think Captain Morgan’s is too sweet. This way you don’t have to fuck around with vermouth.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    USMChawk said:

If you like spiced rums I’d recommend Bacardi Oakheart or Sailor Jerry. I think Captain Morgan’s is too sweet. This way you don’t have to fuck around with vermouth.

Good advice. @PurpleJ could really learn from you....that dummy thinks I can afford a blowtorch.
  • Options
    PurpleJPurpleJ Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 36,526
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I know @dnc can so that’s why I said nuts not anus. Try something new!
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,863
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye said:

So, summer is here, it's hot as fuck, and I am about to finally get my cigar on. Makes me think, I want to sit out on the back porch in the evening and take in my classic Cuba Libre and stogie. I've never been fancy here, because outside of nice watches I've always been a degenerate loser who drinks cheap beer and falls down. But, in the spirit (lulz) of my newfound baller status, I'm trying to class the classic up. Guy I work with swears by adding a splash of vermouth and a lime, because when added to the coke and rum it becomes magical and really ups the game on this most simple of drinks. But he is mostly an idiot so I do not fully trust him here. Plus, what the fuck do I know about Vermouth anyway? Sounds classy. So I need advice.

Welp, I KNOW this place has game when it comes to drinking good shit, so help me out. What's your recipe for adding some zip and panache to the old classic Cuba Libre?

I am normally a Bacardi guy, but open to suggestions across the board on how to have a rock star rum based summer stogie pleasure experience.

@Dennis_DeYoung you better weigh in here

This is David Ortiz territory. Don’t get shot like Big Pappi.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    So in multiple hours I have gotten one piece of actual advice. You fuckers suck and are slipping. Badly.
  • Options
    PurpleBazePurpleBaze Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,488
    Founders Club
    I know you asked me to help you in this thread, but I really don't know my rums that well.

They only stuff I buy is from a Skip Rock Distillery in Snohomish. So, it's very much fucking local... and it's sipping rum. I wouldn't make a rum and coke with it.

Just be sure to use Messican Coke.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    Okay then, as of now my plan is to skip the Vermouth and just rock messican Coke, lime and:

Still open to suggestions you fags.
  • Options
    PurpleBazePurpleBaze Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,488
    Founders Club
    USMChawk said:

Mix it with caffeine-free coke. That way when you pass out, the caffeine won’t kick in at 3:00am. You’ll sleep straight through until the police roust you out of the gutter.

What if caffeine doesn't affect @Swaye? Did you ever think about that? I didn't think so!
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,952
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited June 2019
    So here’s the dealio: if you really want to fit into this high society that you are about to join, and enjoy all that rum has to offer you need to master drinks like the daiquiri or mai tai.

All that being said, Jake Browning still sucks and IFL rum and coke. They are great for the pours or swarthy hot heads like @creepycoug . Silver rum works best in Cuba Libre and is the original recipe. Dash of lime juice and one part rum and one part coke (Messican is best). As is the case for mixing booze with cola, better to stay cheap. I think Bicardi silver is fine.
  • Options
    dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,930
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Sorry @Swaye For fear of being drink shamed I won’t be weighing in on this one.

You suck down your first stick yet?

I enjoyed a Patel last night and way too much Cabernet then tons of fun and I polished off a 12 pack of yueng ling.

Twins bday party today and somehow the hangover left after breakfast.

Toy Story 4 at the IMAX! Hoping TOF comes so I can start drinking now.

#CSB, I know.

Things you get to look forward to.
  • Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,601
    No hablo espanol
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,952
    Swaye's Wigwam

No hablo espanol

Que estupido?!
  • Options
    Founders Club

So here’s the dealio: if you really want to fit into this high society that you are about to join, and enjoy all that rum has to offer you need to master drinks like the daiquiri or mai tai.

All that being said, Jake Browning still sucks and IFL rum and coke. They are great for the pours or swarthy hot heads like @creepycoug . Silver rum works best in Cuba Libre and is the original recipe. Dash of lime juice and one part rum and one part coke (Messican is best). As is the case for mixing booze with cola, better to stay cheap. I think Bicardi silver is fine.

Those sound hard. I am basic kind of guy here man. Rum and Coke, just classed up a bit. This is for my new cigar habit, not for the assholes at the cuntry club.

So now I am hearing Bacardi Silver, vice Sailor Jerry.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Swaye said:

Okay then, as of now my plan is to skip the Vermouth and just rock messican Coke, lime and:

Still open to suggestions you fags.

A good choice. As a bonus it’s 92 proof, not just 70 like Oakheart.
  • Options
    Founders Club

I enjoyed a Patel last night and way too much Cabernet then tons of fun and I polished off a 12 pack of yueng ling.

Nah I am waiting until I get the humidor all set. I think. Maybe Who knows?

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited June 2019
    Swaye said:

Nah I am waiting until I get the humidor all set. I think. Maybe Who knows?

Do you even quote, bro?
  • Options
    Founders Club
    Just got PMed by someone saying try Flor de Cana 12 year with messican coke and a splash of lime.