Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

We don't need no stinkin reparations

Comments

• RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,636 Founders Club

dnc said:

To say electing a black president is a form of reparations is stupid. It's just as stupid as being pro reparations in the first place.

Especially when you're Mitch McConnell and there's no way in fucking hell you voted for said

Neither did I, don't twist.
    McConnell trying to use Obama as proof of the country's progress is hysterically ironic even by McConnell standards.
    Would Obama have won in 1968?

The country has made massive improvements in race relations and electing Obama is concrete proof.
    Things are worse than ever

Biden needs to get elected
  • SFGbobSFGbob Member Posts: 31,953

dnc said:

To say electing a black president is a form of reparations is stupid. It's just as stupid as being pro reparations in the first place.

Especially when you're Mitch McConnell and there's no way in fucking hell you voted for said presodent.

McConnell trying to use Obama as proof of the country's progress is hysterically ironic even by McConnell standards.
    You don't think it's a sign of our progress? Am I the only one that remembers 2008 because I recall hearing non-stop how it was a sign of our progress.
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    SFGbob said:

dnc said:

SFGbob said:

It would be, but that isn't what he said.

"We tried to deal with our original sin of slavery by fighting a civil war, by passing landmark civil rights legislation, elected an African American president," Barack Obama, in 2008, McConnell said. "I don't think we should be trying to figure out how to compensate for it. First of all, it would be hard to figure out whom to compensate."

Unless you also think he was saying that the Civil War was a form of reparations. He is listing how far we have come and what we have already done to address our "original sin" and that we now shouldn't be trying to figure out a way to further "compensate" for that original sin.
    Saying we elected a black president to address the original sin of slavery isn't calling it reparations but it's just as FS.
    You don't think there was an element of that in Obama's election? I recall Tom Hanks claiming it was one of the reasons he was going to vote for Obama.

https://youtu.be/UsHNvM8QB4o
    I couldn't get past the "3/5 of a human being" comment.

The misapplication of the 3/5 compromise blows my mind.

If it wasn't for the 3/5 compromise we may have never been able to abolish slavery. Counting blacks as 3/5 of a person rather than a whole person was by far the best thing the Constitution did for the black cause.

People who don't understand this shouldn't comment on it.
    dnc said:

SFGbob said:

dnc said:

SFGbob said:

There are all kinds of "worst aspects" regarding reparations. Transferring wealth from people who had nothing to do with slavery to people who were never slaves is another one of many.

I mean I'm not really pro reparations but there's no denying that there are people still benefiting from the ramifications of slavery and people still suffering from the ramifications thereof. It's not as simple as saying "you were never a slave".

I'd be pro reparations if I thought it would actually fix anything. The wounds of slavery are too deep to simply throw money at it and think it will go away though.
    How do you quantify the "ramifications" and how do you work out form of compensation for those ramifications? How do you compensate people for slavery who were never slaves?
    "I'm not really for reparations."

hth
    Fine, you're not for them. But you just said there are people who are benefiting and people suffering from the "ramifications." Okay, so how would we quantify the ramifications? I'm asking you a question I'm not claiming you're favor of them.
  • PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 43,640 Standard Supporter
    The Throbber is Irish - I want my fucking check from the Brits - goddamned oppressors.

SFGbob said:

dnc said:

SFGbob said:

dnc said:

SFGbob said:

There are all kinds of "worst aspects" regarding reparations. Transferring wealth from people who had nothing to do with slavery to people who were never slaves is another one of many.

I mean I'm not really pro reparations but there's no denying that there are people still benefiting from the ramifications of slavery and people still suffering from the ramifications thereof. It's not as simple as saying "you were never a slave".

I'd be pro reparations if I thought it would actually fix anything. The wounds of slavery are too deep to simply throw money at it and think it will go away though.
    How do you quantify the "ramifications" and how do you work out form of compensation for those ramifications? How do you compensate people for slavery who were never slaves?

hth
    Fine, you're not for them. But you just said there are people who are benefiting and people suffering from the "ramifications." Okay, so how would we quantify the ramifications? I'm asking you a question I'm not claiming you're favor of them.
    I don't know how one would quantify it. I don't think there's a way to ever be accurate on it let alone precise. That doesn't mean we should deny such ramifications exist.

dnc said:

Especially when you're Mitch McConnell and there's no way in fucking hell you voted for said

The country has made massive improvements in race relations and electing Obama is concrete proof.
    Things are worse than ever

Biden needs to get elected
    I hear he knows how to work with segregationists.
  • TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,891 Standard Supporter
    dnc said:

SFGbob said:

"We tried to deal with our original sin of slavery by fighting a civil war, by passing landmark civil rights legislation, elected an African American president," Barack Obama, in 2008, McConnell said. "I don't think we should be trying to figure out how to compensate for it. First of all, it would be hard to figure out whom to compensate."

Unless you also think he was saying that the Civil War was a form of reparations. He is listing how far we have come and what we have already done to address our "original sin" and that we now shouldn't be trying to figure out a way to further "compensate" for that original sin.
    Saying we elected a black president to address the original sin of slavery isn't calling it reparations but it's just as FS.
    Yeah, I agree that the one-for-one (or 3 for 1) analogy is pretty dumb.
    dnc said:

SFGbob said:

dnc said:

SFGbob said:

dnc said:

SFGbob said:

hth
    I don't know how one would quantify it. I don't think there's a way to ever be accurate on it let alone precise. That doesn't mean we should deny such ramifications exist.
    I didn't deny it. But if there is no way to quantify it and you can't even tell me what these "ramifications" are then why is the Congress even holding this hearing?
    edited June 2019
    Does anyone outside of Kentucky even like Mitch McConell? I know conservatives think he's too liberal, liberals think he's an asshole, Trump has vacillated on him. How tf is he still running the GOP Senate?Nobody else wants the jerb?
    dnc said:

SFGbob said:

dnc said:

SFGbob said:

You don't think there was an element of that in Obama's election? I recall Tom Hanks claiming it was one of the reasons he was going to vote for Obama.

https://youtu.be/UsHNvM8QB4o
    I couldn't get past the "3/5 of a human being" comment.

The misapplication of the 3/5 compromise blows my mind.

If it wasn't for the 3/5 compromise we may have never been able to abolish slavery. Counting blacks as 3/5 of a person rather than a whole person was by far the best thing the Constitution did for the black cause.

People who don't understand this shouldn't comment on it.
    Agreed, very common left wing talking point. The South would have been more than happy to count slaves as whole persons for purposes of apportionment. But most liberals are dumb parrots, what are you going to do?
    There are ramifications from Jim Crow because after the war and slavery there were decades of the same indoctrination of Black inferiority and white supremacy that there was to justify slavery.

Both Blacks and Whites were effected. Some remnants remain. We joke about it in sports. Film room guy. Natural athlete etc.

Not so funny in real life. In the 60s you had overt racists and well meaning ignorant racists.

As time has gone by there are more ignorant than overt left.

The solution is to keep educating and not lose sight of the ultimate goal

Segregation of aid by color is a step back IMO

I go back to the Jesse Jackson of the 80s. Be a victor not a victim. I am somebody. I'm Black and I'm proud. Say it loud

Messages matter.

I'm available to testify to Congress
    dnc said:

Does anyone outside of Kentucky even like Mitch McConell? I know conservatives think he's too liberal, liberals think he's an asshole, Trump has vacillated on him. How tf is he still running the GOP Senate?Nobody else wants the jerb?

He's done a horrible job.

dnc said:

He's done a horrible job.
    Other than with Judges I agree.
  • GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,163

dnc said:

Didn't say otherwise. The irony is that McConnell is literally the last person who should be touting the accomplishment.

dnc said:

Didn't say otherwise. The irony is that McConnell is literally the last person who should be touting the accomplishment.
    I believe he is touting it as an accomplishment for the country not him personally. Is McConnell not allowed to speak on the topic?
  • greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,309
    edited June 2019

There are ramifications from Jim Crow because after the war and slavery there were decades of the same indoctrination of Black inferiority and white supremacy that there was to justify slavery.

Both Blacks and Whites were effected. Some remnants remain. We joke about it in sports. Film room guy. Natural athlete etc. Articulate (most racist in my opinion)

Not so funny in real life. In the 60s you had overt racists and well meaning ignorant racists.

I go back to the Jesse Jackson of the 80s. Be a victor not a victim. I am somebody. I'm Black and I'm proud. Say it loud

Messages matter.

• PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 43,640 Standard Supporter

Both Blacks and Whites were effected. Some remnants remain. We joke about it in sports. Film room guy. Natural athlete etc.

Messages matter.

Congress is busy with other testimony today....or not.

• GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,163
    dnc said:

His response to Stewart on the 9/11 responders issue was proof that he doesn't give a shit and his job is safe. There is no "winning" on that issue, a politician who's still running for something would merely take the lumps and make sure the bill gets passed. Let it die in the news cycle. But McConnell doesn't give a fuck, and he doesn't care how much of an ass he makes of himself. He's the Roger Goodell of Congress.
  • TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,891 Standard Supporter

dnc said:

Was responding to @dnc. But, okay.