Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Remember now, it's the GOP that's moved to the fringe

12345679»

Comments

• Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,749
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    Swaye said:

Swaye said:

SFGbob said:

The dems spent 20 yrs radicalizing a generation by indoctrination in the public school system. That generation is now going to eat them.

I think one of the things pushing young folks to the left has been the cost of college and the debt many of these kids are incurring from their school expenses.

But you have to ask, who is running the schools? Who is making college so expensive? What is making housing so expensive in liberal run cities and states? It's not conservatives or conservative policies.
    College Expense: I don't know for certain, but I've asked the same thing. I'm aware of a few things that must be drivers. For instance, most faculty get some kind of pension and they tend to have good healthcare coverage. Pensions, as even profitable corporations have found, are expensive af - a promise most wished they'd never made (see the many 8-K filings out there reporting pension transfer transactions numbering in the billions of $). Healthcare is everybody's million $ question. Professors don't make much money relative to their options, and so it seems these benefits have settled in as strongly market driven. It is a long and hard road to get a PhD, and not everyone has what it takes. These people tend to be expensive labor. The other thing that makes it expensive is the government and all the other sources of free money. Not everyone should or needs to go to college. Take the free money out of the equation, and I suspect the price would drop.

Liberal Run Cities: Again, I'm not the expert. But I would surmise that's it's almost entirely driven by good old fashioned supply and demand dynamics. SF, Seattle, Chicago, DC, Boston, Austin, LA, etc. are money towns. Commerce, capital formation, demand for expensive talent, etc. ... these things happen in those cities to a greater extent than they do elsewhere. I just got back from Indianapolis. Not as much going on there as there is here in Seattle, for example. I'm sure the liberal city councils and the extra taxes and fees and bullshit contribute to the expense, but I'm guessing it's a drop in the bucket relative to the main driver.
    This, you can line up the surge in educational costs with the surge in federal money and student loans. Most of it has gone to administration. That's what happens when the government gets in business.

I actually think the driver for city pricing is just good old fashioned NIMBY-ism which spans both left and right. Cities where the supply of housing can't get built to accommodate the increase in demand have increasing prices. Everyone is for affordable housing when they are renting and against development once they own property.
    Absolutely. Another thing that gets overlooked is the cultural shift to the city. Young, up and coming millenials and Gen Z'ers are choosing to spend their money to live in cities. I'm generalizing heavily, but wealthy boomers in contrast flocked to the suburbs, leaving the cities to stay relatively ungentrified and affordable. Seattle itself is a microcosm of this. If Microsoft were starting today, they wouldn't put their HQ in a sleepy Seattle suburb, they'd pull an Amazon and build their own urban neighborhood.
    Agree hard in DC. In my day, ILTCIMD, when you hit it big and got your first good paying job in your late 20's to early 30's, you headed for a nice 3K square foot house in the burbs so your new wife could schlep the kids (in a few years when they got old enough) to idyllic soccer fields in whatever SUV was cool and you could maintain your lawn and chat with neighbors over a beer with nary the sound of a car horn or ambulance for miles and miles in any direction. This was only 20 years ago.

Now, all the mid 20's to early 30's people I work with who are earning good coin are putting huge down payments on brick front townhouses right in the thick of the city in Alexandria, Arlington, Dupont Circle and the better areas of DC. The thought of living in the suburbs is like dying to them. They are sending their kids to overcrowded schools, and listening to traffic and ambulances all day and night with nary a yard to manicure in sight. This, to them, is nirvana. They live two blocks from a Crossfit Gym, one block from a Starbucks, and right next door to a Trader Joe's. Them and 15,000 other people in a 6 block radius. Pure millennial bliss.

Fucking weird how much this shit has changed.
    Weird how black flight can make whyte peeple comfortable in cities again.

No but seriously, urban crime being way fucking down has yugely helped gentrification occur.
    You are probably right. I live out near horse farms. As far from all that shit in the city as possible. It is dumbfounding to me people would want to raise kids in the city. "Look little Katie, that homeless man is pissing on the street right in front of us. That's called a penis Katie. Isn't taking in all this plight great Katie?"

At the same time, they think I am a lunatic for wanting to hear nothing outside. Nothing at all but birds and the occasional rabbit hopping across the back 40. Before I shoot it.
    Spirit Horse Seal of Approval.
  • Options

I got my ass handed to me in a "Philosophy of Asian Religions" course in Savory. My ass hurt for weeks taking that class. Philo was no joke.

This happened to so many fucking people. I vividly recall this. Frat boys would come in and discover there was nothing in the Frat House "file" to help them cheat for the exam, because there weren't many exams. Many would have someone smart write their papers, but of course, the classes contained a lot of nuanced understanding you'd only get from being, you know, in class, so the smart ghost writer had no chance at hitting the critical points the prof was looking for. Lots and lots of "D" grades that should have been Fs no doubt.

There was this one really old dude who taught an intermediate survey course that covered Spinoza, Descartes and that whole crowd. He was old school. Yale guy who taught there for years. Super nice, gentile classic old professor. But his grading was fucking brutal. He would write on the board in barely legible notes for 1.5 hours, and those of us who figured out early that you had to write every single fucking thing he wrote did ok. Anybody who tried to answer shit on their own on the exam got ass blasted because, let's face it, it was over everybody's head.

It might be my single greatest academic accomplishment that I got a 3.7 in that course. People would be whining to him after class about a 2.0 and he'd genuinely look at them perplexed and answer that a 2.0 in his class was perfectly respectable. I got that 3.7, btw, by fucking plagiarizing his words in response to the right questions on the exam, which took three blue books to finish. People who were legitimately serious students got below a 2.0 in that guy's course. Trail of tears I tell ya.

Hardest course I took was a seminar with the grad students, which you had to do to graduate with departmental honors. I was the only undergrad in that course, and I'm sure I got laughed at once or twice and I've just blocked it out. Professor just gave me a 3.3 or something to be nice.

More story time with Uncle Creepy.

This was the guy I was thinking of: Bob Coburn. Did you have him any classes @UW_Doog_Bot ?

https://phil.washington.edu/news/2018/09/18/remembering-professor-robert-coburn

• Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,602
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    What a dickhead professor

I came to get a high grade and gtfo
  • Options
    dhdawgdhdawg Member Posts: 13,326
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited June 2019
    Attending a democratic convention (in california!) Just to shit on democratic voters and ideas for publicity deserves to be booed. No one shows up to the RNC to bash the religious right, and if they did they would get the same reaction.
  • Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,066
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

Swaye said:

SFGbob said:

The dems spent 20 yrs radicalizing a generation by indoctrination in the public school system. That generation is now going to eat them.

I think one of the things pushing young folks to the left has been the cost of college and the debt many of these kids are incurring from their school expenses.

But you have to ask, who is running the schools? Who is making college so expensive? What is making housing so expensive in liberal run cities and states? It's not conservatives or conservative policies.
    College Expense: I don't know for certain, but I've asked the same thing. I'm aware of a few things that must be drivers. For instance, most faculty get some kind of pension and they tend to have good healthcare coverage. Pensions, as even profitable corporations have found, are expensive af - a promise most wished they'd never made (see the many 8-K filings out there reporting pension transfer transactions numbering in the billions of $). Healthcare is everybody's million $ question. Professors don't make much money relative to their options, and so it seems these benefits have settled in as strongly market driven. It is a long and hard road to get a PhD, and not everyone has what it takes. These people tend to be expensive labor. The other thing that makes it expensive is the government and all the other sources of free money. Not everyone should or needs to go to college. Take the free money out of the equation, and I suspect the price would drop.

Liberal Run Cities: Again, I'm not the expert. But I would surmise that's it's almost entirely driven by good old fashioned supply and demand dynamics. SF, Seattle, Chicago, DC, Boston, Austin, LA, etc. are money towns. Commerce, capital formation, demand for expensive talent, etc. ... these things happen in those cities to a greater extent than they do elsewhere. I just got back from Indianapolis. Not as much going on there as there is here in Seattle, for example. I'm sure the liberal city councils and the extra taxes and fees and bullshit contribute to the expense, but I'm guessing it's a drop in the bucket relative to the main driver.
    This, you can line up the surge in educational costs with the surge in federal money and student loans. Most of it has gone to administration. That's what happens when the government gets in business.

I actually think the driver for city pricing is just good old fashioned NIMBY-ism which spans both left and right. Cities where the supply of housing can't get built to accommodate the increase in demand have increasing prices. Everyone is for affordable housing when they are renting and against development once they own property.
    Absolutely. Another thing that gets overlooked is the cultural shift to the city. Young, up and coming millenials and Gen Z'ers are choosing to spend their money to live in cities. I'm generalizing heavily, but wealthy boomers in contrast flocked to the suburbs, leaving the cities to stay relatively ungentrified and affordable. Seattle itself is a microcosm of this. If Microsoft were starting today, they wouldn't put their HQ in a sleepy Seattle suburb, they'd pull an Amazon and build their own urban neighborhood.
    Agree hard in DC. In my day, ILTCIMD, when you hit it big and got your first good paying job in your late 20's to early 30's, you headed for a nice 3K square foot house in the burbs so your new wife could schlep the kids (in a few years when they got old enough) to idyllic soccer fields in whatever SUV was cool and you could maintain your lawn and chat with neighbors over a beer with nary the sound of a car horn or ambulance for miles and miles in any direction. This was only 20 years ago.

Now, all the mid 20's to early 30's people I work with who are earning good coin are putting huge down payments on brick front townhouses right in the thick of the city in Alexandria, Arlington, Dupont Circle and the better areas of DC. The thought of living in the suburbs is like dying to them. They are sending their kids to overcrowded schools, and listening to traffic and ambulances all day and night with nary a yard to manicure in sight. This, to them, is nirvana. They live two blocks from a Crossfit Gym, one block from a Starbucks, and right next door to a Trader Joe's. Them and 15,000 other people in a 6 block radius. Pure millennial bliss.

As an urban dwelling millennial who fucking loves Trader Joe's, I feel personally attacked. This is a sobering moment as I realize I'm a stereotype.
    YBFE
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,496
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I had a 4th floor walk up on 4th and Vine downtown in the early 80's. Loved it. Rent was insanely cheap. It wasn't the luxury condo they have downtown now though

Getting married we moved to the suburb of Rainier Beach

It happened in every town. City neighborhoods degraded which made them ripe for redevelopment and low income folks got moved out to Kent. And Auburn
  • Options

I had a 4th floor walk up on 4th and Vine downtown in the early 80's. Loved it. Rent was insanely cheap. It wasn't the luxury condo they have downtown now though

It happened in every town. City neighborhoods degraded which made them ripe for redevelopment and low income folks got moved out to Kent. And Auburn

That's where you got your edge. I knew O town didn't give you that ruff exterior.
  • Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    Swaye's Wigwam

Did they make you move because you had to go live with the blacks?
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,496
    Swaye's Wigwam

It was a bachelor pad.
  • Options
    TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,753
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

SFGbob said:

Bloated administration, especially in areas of fill-in-the-blank studies and dozens of useless "diversity" officers. That substantive work is all done through admissions, so all those fuckers do is look for shit to complain about all year long.
  • Options

I got my ass handed to me in a "Philosophy of Asian Religions" course in Savory. My ass hurt for weeks taking that class. Philo was no joke.

This happened to so many fucking people. I vividly recall this. Frat boys would come in and discover there was nothing in the Frat House "file" to help them cheat for the exam, because there weren't many exams. Many would have someone smart write their papers, but of course, the classes contained a lot of nuanced understanding you'd only get from being, you know, in class, so the smart ghost writer had no chance at hitting the critical points the prof was looking for. Lots and lots of "D" grades that should have been Fs no doubt.

There was this one really old dude who taught an intermediate survey course that covered Spinoza, Descartes and that whole crowd. He was old school. Yale guy who taught there for years. Super nice, gentile classic old professor. But his grading was fucking brutal. He would write on the board in barely legible notes for 1.5 hours, and those of us who figured out early that you had to write every single fucking thing he wrote did ok. Anybody who tried to answer shit on their own on the exam got ass blasted because, let's face it, it was over everybody's head.

It might be my single greatest academic accomplishment that I got a 3.7 in that course. People would be whining to him after class about a 2.0 and he'd genuinely look at them perplexed and answer that a 2.0 in his class was perfectly respectable. I got that 3.7, btw, by fucking plagiarizing his words in response to the right questions on the exam, which took three blue books to finish. People who were legitimately serious students got below a 2.0 in that guy's course. Trail of tears I tell ya.

Hardest course I took was a seminar with the grad students, which you had to do to graduate with departmental honors. I was the only undergrad in that course, and I'm sure I got laughed at once or twice and I've just blocked it out. Professor just gave me a 3.3 or something to be nice.

El @creepycoug for Presidente!

Fuck Off, Plato.
  • Options

Swaye said:

Hahahahaha funniest one I took was the "philosophy of dance" which was offered concurrently with the dance department. 30 young ladies with killer athletic bods and no brains, me, one other philo guy, and a female philo prof who was also a semi-pro balerina at some point(she was easy on the eyes too). It got to the point where we just felt bad for the prof. She was doing her best and trying so hard but you could tell none of these girls were getting any of it. By the time we got to the final there were about 10 people left and the teacher was giving us huge extra credits for simply going to dance recitals and then writing a one page paper relating it to ANY of the subject material. You could tell she was desperate to not flunk the last of the girls that had gutted it out. Quite the reverse of the creep, we got tired of it being a three person conversation and did our best to include anyone willing to make a point or speak up.

Rules

WOOD SMASH
    My unfortunate experience was that most of these girls had little to talk about outside of class as well. Mostly the super sheltered kind that didn't ask too many questions and just wanted to spend their time dancing. SS to the max and probably looking for a sucker to support them after they graduate with a Dance degree. The best I got was a dry handy in the dorms that left me raw in the wrong places. I went back to sorority girls and rugby chicks that knew how to party pretty fast after that experience.
    You should've come up the hill. The Cornish dancers were all fucked up rich girls with eating disorders, but total whores in the sack.
  • Options
    Sledog said:

Sledog said:

Sledog said:

Sledog said:

Sledog said:

@creepycoug just went *poof*. Too many references to Marx and you are on a watchlist.

It's God's [Stalin's] way of telling me to quit arguing with the retard.
    I see we're down to liberal name calling. All the same. Never having lived in the world makes one sensitive. Having lived in the world I could give a hit what you or anyone else says. I've had more insults and threats than Trump. Like water off a ducks back.

Now go back to your Marxist studies. I know how interesting they were for you. Did you do Lenin, Engels, Mao, Stalin Krushchev and Ho too?

Betting you did at least some of them. Just to see. Getting sucked in in college isn't knew here but some of us resisted those washed up hippie professors.
    The irony of you saying this to someone that fled communism is mind numbing.
    Who fled communism?
    And, still, the essential point eludes you.

Bad night for cops.
    Well I don't recall. So many people so many stories. I know you have some Cuban/Spanish you were in Cuba? If so I am unaware.

Eludes? Maybe. Don't know definitely.
    I used to think your routine was a schtick.

Now I'm more convinced that you are an actual moron in real life. Either born that way or serious head trauma in your Copper life.

Either way, you're fucking stupid.
    I don't know your life story. Nor do i, at this point, give two shits. You are definitely an attorney. Petty. HTH
    I don't know your life story. Nor do i, at this point, give two shits. You are definitely a donut-shop frequenting, evidence-planting, dishonest ex-Copper.
    The upside is there is nothing as low as an attorney.
    Cops hate attorneys because attorneys catch them lying all the time.

All. The. Time.

And they're really shitty liars, too.
  • Options
    Sledog said:

Sledog said:

CC is a pathetic troll. He can't articulate a series of first intellectual principles. He votes for free sh*t, lies and raw power over the rule of law. He is free to post is first principles. He won't. Leftards lie and love to be lied to

Someone hit the fanatic retard button.

Stop being a pussy and being scared of people who don't agree with you OBK.
    Ironic.
    Almost as ironic as the dishonest Cop who wrote these two gems:

Stop being a snowflake. Any more sensitive you'll need a skirt.

Who's afraid of books? See their is your liberal bullshit again. Plant evidence? What a crock of shit. People get arrested because they commit crimes and get caught. It ain't like the show CSI you watch on TV. You probably think cops sit around saying "lets shoot a black guy tonight" at briefing too.

Copper blah blah blah.

Time for the donut shop dipshit.

No ambulances to chase today? Maybe one of your lackeys can stage a slip and fall.
    And if he did, your brothers-in-blue would lie about that too.

You're not scoring any points here, Sleddy.
  • Options
    Swaye said:

SFGbob said:

I look forward to selling my city home to an urban millennial for a ridiculous price, and moving back to where I grew up.

In the suburbs. The best years of West Coast Cities are fucking over, and the shit storm has only just begun.
  • Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited June 2019

It was a bachelor pad.
    Good. I was afraid the whites ran you out because you went Tom and Helen Willis.