Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Some watch shots

Comments

• BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,346

Swaye said:

Swaye said:

spuden said:

Swaye said:

spuden said:

spuden said:

I’m here because I’d rather look at Swaye’s watches than the putrid offense Peterman keeps rolling out. Is he not aware it’s legal to have dynamic receivers in games!???

So @spuden Magnum wore a Pepsi GMT right?
    Indeed. Was looking for a Pepsi, but found a Coke that was right price/condition so I pulled trigger. Going to try and pick up a Pepsi bezel insert soon so I can change it up. But honestly, the Coke has been growing on me.
    I have been looking for an late 80's early 90s unmolested full set 16700/16710 Pepsi for years now. Found a great set (unpolished/near mint) for 12K a couple years ago but thought it was too much. I'd kill to find it for 12K now. Try 16K. If you can find one. 90% of the "unpolished" watches out there have been polished. Almost need to find a one owner watch, which is a unicorn. That's why I got that 16753 that fag @BennyBeaver thinks is hideous...one owner watch in a totally unfucked with state. Getting SUPER hard to find those at the 30 year and older mark. They are all in safes of collectors appreciating.
    Yeah, I would love to find the same. I love the faded Pepsi’s where the red has faded to a pink. Ultimately I just had to go with a reputable seller and hope the pictures were accurate because I didn’t want to get fisted. My dream would be to find a late 80’s Pepsi in an estate sale that’s been kept in a safe for the last 20 years...but thats not realistic. If you ever find two of those, let me know.

Oh, and Benny is clearly a ra tard. That 16753 is nails.
    I actually know a major GMT collector that has a private collection that would make your eyes water. Seriously, half a million dollars worth of GMTs from the 60's to present. Fuchsia bezel Pepsi's, NOS 16700's, untouched 16750's and 16760's...the works. Unreal high grade vintage watches. He has a 16710 on JUBILEE (!!!!) sold as a jubilee X serial from 1991, full set, all documentation, worn all of about 10 times in 30 years and has been sitting in his safe since the year 2000. Unreal specimen. I have been asking him for a year to sell it to me and he won't let it go. These high grade watches are so fucking hard to find now. If he ever lets it go I will pay whatever he asks, even if I have to let one of mine go to do it.
    God my old man was such a douche canoe driving around in a shinny new 911 Carerra 4 and Coke GMT II.
    You misspelled bad ass.
    Funny story time. My mom had a life size Tom Selleck poster in their closet when I was a kid. She thought he was sexy AF. I think the GMT and sports car was in some way trying to look the part by my old man. The 911 was only $80000 in 1990. Lulz.
    Uh, peak Tom Selleck was sexy AF. Scientific fact. Case closed. End of discussion.
    ‘Nuff said?
  • SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,356 Founders Club
    Swaye said:

spuden said:

Swaye said:

spuden said:

spuden said:

I’m here because I’d rather look at Swaye’s watches than the putrid offense Peterman keeps rolling out. Is he not aware it’s legal to have dynamic receivers in games!???

Indeed. Was looking for a Pepsi, but found a Coke that was right price/condition so I pulled trigger. Going to try and pick up a Pepsi bezel insert soon so I can change it up. But honestly, the Coke has been growing on me.
    I have been looking for an late 80's early 90s unmolested full set 16700/16710 Pepsi for years now. Found a great set (unpolished/near mint) for 12K a couple years ago but thought it was too much. I'd kill to find it for 12K now. Try 16K. If you can find one. 90% of the "unpolished" watches out there have been polished. Almost need to find a one owner watch, which is a unicorn. That's why I got that 16753 that fag @BennyBeaver thinks is hideous...one owner watch in a totally unfucked with state. Getting SUPER hard to find those at the 30 year and older mark. They are all in safes of collectors appreciating.
    Yeah, I would love to find the same. I love the faded Pepsi’s where the red has faded to a pink. Ultimately I just had to go with a reputable seller and hope the pictures were accurate because I didn’t want to get fisted. My dream would be to find a late 80’s Pepsi in an estate sale that’s been kept in a safe for the last 20 years...but thats not realistic. If you ever find two of those, let me know.

I actually know a major GMT collector that has a private collection that would make your eyes water. Seriously, half a million dollars worth of GMTs from the 60's to present. Fuchsia bezel Pepsi's, NOS 16700's, untouched 16750's and 16760's...the works. Unreal high grade vintage watches. He has a 16710 on JUBILEE (!!!!) sold as a jubilee X serial from 1991, full set, all documentation, worn all of about 10 times in 30 years and has been sitting in his safe since the year 2000. Unreal specimen. I have been asking him for a year to sell it to me and he won't let it go. These high grade watches are so fucking hard to find now. If he ever lets it go I will pay whatever he asks, even if I have to let one of mine go to do it.
    Responding to yourself is cruise control for cool.

So, these messages got me fantasizing about getting that old fellow in Dallas to finally sell me his Pepsi. So I called him yesterday and asked him for the 12th time to sell it to me. He told me to fuck off for the 12th time. But, I asked him if he would take it out of the safe and send me photos of it. He did. I now present those photos. Keep in mind, this is a complete set with every manual, box, and tag that came with it. It is 100% original, and 100% for sure unpolished. And best of all, its a warranty papers coded "born Jubilee." Do you know how rare it is to find a an original jubilee bracelet Pepsi is? You rarely see them, and usually they aren't true born jubilees. This thing is special to a GMT collector. The guy bought it off the wrist of a friend of his in 1994, one year after his friend bought it in Portland, OR. It's a 91 serial - isn't it odd how back then it took an AD two years to sell this watch? FML. Now you have to wait 5 years to get one. Any way, two owner watch with it sitting in a safe unworn the last 25 years. Near mint in all respects (couple of small scratches on the clasp). Perfectly faded insert (people would pay 1500 bucks just for this insert) and eggshell lume plots. This watch is a holy fuck type watch. And in another 20 years it will be worth 50K. My plan is to keep asking him every few months to sell it to me, and if he never does go to his house after he dies and steal it. It's a good plan I think.

edited November 2019
    spuden said:

Swaye said:

spuden said:

Swaye said:

spuden said:

spuden said:

My issue is I already spent right on the border of what i felt comfortable with, but it’s close to being so much that I baby it and don’t want to get it dirty. A vintage or NOS 16700 and I would want to put it in a glass display case and be terrified of ever wearing it. A good problem to have I suppose...
    You are actually in a perfect spot right now. You have your Coke, and it is a very nice watch but still a wearers grade watch. I know that watch well because I damn near bought it. It's lovely, but you can wear it without fear. Now, you ever run across a true unicorn like i just presented above and you just don't wear it. Display it or safe it and let it triple in value over the next 20 years. Wear the Coke you already have and pop in a Pepsi insert when you feel the need to go Pepsi. You saw the Coke I bought recently. Same thing. It's a very nice Coke, but not even in the same league as that Pepsi. Wear the Coke, admire the Pepsi.

But like I said, this discussion is academic now because the truly rare unpolished original examples of rare combo watches in perfect shape are almost all in collectors collections now and they always tell you fuck offif you ask for it. They do not advertise watches like this on Chrono24 or dealers sites. These watches are 99% of the time sold privately between collectors, or they go to auction. They don't "come up for sale at some rinky dink dealer in Tuscaloosa."
  • BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,346
    Swaye said:

Swaye said:

spuden said:

Swaye said:

spuden said:

spuden said:

So, these messages got me fantasizing about getting that old fellow in Dallas to finally sell me his Pepsi. So I called him yesterday and asked him for the 12th time to sell it to me. He told me to fuck off for the 12th time. But, I asked him if he would take it out of the safe and send me photos of it. He did. I now present those photos. Keep in mind, this is a complete set with every manual, box, and tag that came with it. It is 100% original, and 100% for sure unpolished. And best of all, its a warranty papers coded "born Jubilee." Do you know how rare it is to find a an original jubilee bracelet Pepsi is? You rarely see them, and usually they aren't true born jubilees. This thing is special to a GMT collector. The guy bought it off the wrist of a friend of his in 1994, one year after his friend bought it in Portland, OR. It's a 91 serial - isn't it odd how back then it took an AD two years to sell this watch? FML. Now you have to wait 5 years to get one. Any way, two owner watch with it sitting in a safe unworn the last 25 years. Near mint in all respects (couple of small scratches on the clasp). Perfectly faded insert (people would pay 1500 bucks just for this insert) and eggshell lume plots. This watch is a holy fuck type watch. And in another 20 years it will be worth 50K. My plan is to keep asking him every few months to sell it to me, and if he never does go to his house after he dies and steal it. It's a good plan I think.

Meh. Time and date are wrong.
  • spudenspuden Member Posts: 358

Meh. Time and date are wrong.

Lol...obligatory, I’ve seen better.

That is my dream watch. So amazing! That insert is so cool, and to see a watch that age in that condition is just sick. What I would do for that watch.
    Swaye said:

spuden said:

Swaye said:

spuden said:

Swaye said:

spuden said:

spuden said:

My issue is I already spent right on the border of what i felt comfortable with, but it’s close to being so much that I baby it and don’t want to get it dirty. A vintage or NOS 16700 and I would want to put it in a glass display case and be terrified of ever wearing it. A good problem to have I suppose...
    You are actually in a perfect spot right now. You have your Coke, and it is a very nice watch but still a wearers grade watch. I know that watch well because I damn near bought it. It's lovely, but you can wear it without fear. Now, you ever run across a true unicorn like i just presented above and you just don't wear it. Display it or safe it and let it triple in value over the next 20 years. Wear the Coke you already have and pop in a Pepsi insert when you feel the need to go Pepsi. You saw the Coke I bought recently. Same thing. It's a very nice Coke, but not even in the same league as that Pepsi. Wear the Coke, admire the Pepsi.

But like I said, this discussion is academic now because the truly rare unpolished original examples of rare combo watches in perfect shape are almost all in collectors collections now and they always tell you fuck offif you ask for it. They do not advertise watches like this on Chrono24 or dealers sites. These watches are 99% of the time sold privately between collectors, or they go to auction. They don't "come up for sale at some rinky dink dealer in Tuscaloosa."
    Very happy with the Coke, but agree with you 1000%. Not in the same league with that Pepsi on jubilee. That’s just plain sick. My fear is I’ll spiral down into obsession. The more time I spend looking at these watches, the more I want. I could put that Pepsi jubilee on my wrist and just stare at it for a long damn time.
    spuden said:

Swaye said:

spuden said:

Swaye said:

spuden said:

Swaye said:

spuden said:

spuden said:

Very happy with the Coke, but agree with you 1000%. Not in the same league with that Pepsi on jubilee. That’s just plain sick. My fear is I’ll spiral down into obsession. The more time I spend looking at these watches, the more I want. I could put that Pepsi jubilee on my wrist and just stare at it for a long damn time.
    And this is the trouble with this hobby. It's a fucking addiction. I have avoided vintage and classic era watches for years because I knew it was an absolute mania when you get into it. Heh. Traded a blow addiction for a vintage Rolex addiction. AT least I'll have a tangible asset left after this addiction.
  • BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member Posts: 11,151
    Two questions.

1. Why are faded bezel cool? Is this like people who are in to the patina thing on old cars?
    2. I might have shitty taste in Rolex watches because I really dig the Daytona. They seem to not be as popular with folks who know watches. Why is that?
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 34,940 Founders Club
    The faded Bazel is tricky. A little fade looks cool I think. I don’t like some of these GMTs wear it’s faded all to hell.
    edited November 2019

Two questions.

1. Why are faded bezel cool? Is this like people who are in to the patina thing on old cars?
    2. I might have shitty taste in Rolex watches because I really dig the Daytona. They seem to not be as popular with folks who know watches. Why is that?

1) Yeah, heavily faded bezels (called ghosting) are all the rage. People are paying absurd amounts for old inserts that are heavily faded or that have morphed into unique color variants. I like them with some patina (fading), but not ghosted. I think some fading (as in the 91 Pepsi I showed above) looks great. Really gives you the correct vintage feel. I diverge from a lot of the collector community in that I do not like them all beat up and bleached out looking.

2) Daytonas are super cool. It's funny, they are the hottest watch in the world and have been for ages, but when they conduct polls on hardcore collector sites they always come in a distant 3rd to Subs and GMTs. People with one or two watches all want a Daytona. People who are true enthusiasts seem to agree that the Sub and the GMT are the real Rolex treasure.

The faded Bazel is tricky. A little fade looks cool I think. I don’t like some of these GMTs wear it’s faded all to hell.

Agree.
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 34,940 Founders Club
    Swaye said:

Agree.
    The Papa Yella GMT II which is over 30 years old has the perfect fading to me.

Swaye said:

Agree.
    I like the Pepsi above as well. Hell I am quite fond of my 20 year old Coke.

Swaye said:

Swaye said:

Agree.
    I like the Pepsi above as well. Hell I am quite fond of my 20 year old Coke.

Great looking Coke!
  • PurpleBazePurpleBaze Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,693 Founders Club
    Sorry for the repeat pic of the Daytona with the rubber strap. Just realized I posted in 4 pages ago.
    Swaye said:

Agree.

Need to figure out a way to quickly (I.e. chemically) fade bezel inserts sell them and profit...but I’d probably just pour that back into watches anyway. But I’m with you guys on liking faded inserts vs the ghosted ones that have turned light gray or some shit. I think I’ve seen Blueberry inserts selling for Up to $20k. For a fucking bezel insert. That’s just dumb.

Sorry for the repeat pic of the Daytona with the rubber strap. Just realized I posted in 4 pages ago.

Apology accepted. I could look at those all day.
    spuden said:

Swaye said:

Agree.

Need to figure out a way to quickly (I.e. chemically) fade bezel inserts sell them and profit...but I’d probably just pour that back into watches anyway. But I’m with you guys on liking faded inserts vs the ghosted ones that have turned light gray or some shit. I think I’ve seen Blueberry inserts selling for Up to $20k. For a fucking bezel insert. That’s just dumb.
    And with there being so much controversy as to whether blueberrys are even real makes it quite a risky way to spend 20K. I have seen fuchsia bezels going for 5K. It's crazy.