Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Oh Alabama

Comments

• Options
    HHuskyHHusky Member Posts: 19,131
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

HHusky said:

HHusky said:

“My body, my choice” is the worst phrase a leftist can use considering they don’t apply that logic anywhere else.

So is it wrong because it's inconsistent or is it just objectively wrong?
    Get a better argument. It’s inconsistent.
    Inconsistent with what?
    With other leftists positions where they don’t give a shit about a persons body, choice, or agency.
    Right. I got that. I'm asking for an example.
  • Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited May 2019

“My body, my choice” is the worst phrase a leftist can use considering they don’t apply that logic anywhere else.

It is a terrible argument, unless you assign no moral significance to the fetus. If you don't, then you're damn right that the state should not be involved and it most certainly is a privacy issue.

If you do assign it moral signficance, then if you're at all logically consistent you ought to be in favor of a national ban ... no exceptions ever.

This is not tuff to understand. I don't know why it's confusing to people. It's a straightforward issue if there ever was one.
    I’m not confused. My body my choice is inconsistent because those who apply it to abortions ignore it elsewhere. Regardless if they think the fetus has agency. If they do, it’s probably even worse.
    Inconsistency with "elsewhere" can be tackled elsewhere.

As it applies to the abortion issue now before us, it is terribly relevant if the fetus has no agency.
    It’s irrelevant regardless. As you say, the debate is if the fetus has agency. My body my choice is a cute phrase that leftists seem to not care so much about when it comes to other things.
  • Options

It is a terrible argument, unless you assign no moral significance to the fetus. If you don't, then you're damn right that the state should not be involved and it most certainly is a privacy issue.

If you do assign it moral signficance, then if you're at all logically consistent you ought to be in favor of a national ban ... no exceptions ever.

This is not tuff to understand. I don't know why it's confusing to people. It's a straightforward issue if there ever was one.
    I’m not confused. My body my choice is inconsistent because those who apply it to abortions ignore it elsewhere. Regardless if they think the fetus has agency. If they do, it’s probably even worse.
    Inconsistency with "elsewhere" can be tackled elsewhere.

As it applies to the abortion issue now before us, it is terribly relevant if the fetus has no agency.
    My body my choice is a cute phrase that leftists seem to not care so much about when it comes to other things.
    Setting aside the fact that there are conservative women who are pro-choice, what is an example of one of these "other things"?
  • Options

HHusky said:

HHusky said:

HHusky said:

Inconsistent with what?
    With other leftists positions where they don’t give a shit about a persons body, choice, or agency.
    Vaccinations, mandatory government health care, minimum drinking and smoking age, type of food and beverages people are taxed heavily to consume, drug use, means to self defense...
    Thank you. Which of these you listed do you personally disagree with? Or do you disagree with all of them?
  • Options

HHusky said:

HHusky said:

HHusky said:

HHusky said:

Inconsistent with what?
    Vaccinations, mandatory government health care, minimum drinking and smoking age, type of food and beverages people are taxed heavily to consume, drug use, means to self defense...
    Thank you. Which of these you listed do you personally disagree with? Or do you disagree with all of them?
    Not sure. I lean heavily toward liberty and the sovereignty of the individual agency over his body. But at the same time I don’t blurt out catch phrases when it suits me and don’t apply the same logic to others.
    But you think minimum drinking and smoking ages, or drug use prohibitions, for example, are things we got from left wingers.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    HHusky said:

HHusky said:

HHusky said:

HHusky said:

HHusky said:

Inconsistent with what?
    Not sure. I lean heavily toward liberty and the sovereignty of the individual agency over his body. But at the same time I don’t blurt out catch phrases when it suits me and don’t apply the same logic to others.
    But you think minimum drinking and smoking ages, or drug use prohibitions, for example, are things we got from left wingers.
    Didn’t say that.

I said people who yell about body/choice for abortion are usually on the side of government force being used in vaccines, smoking, drinking aged, taxing junk food, etc.

It’s a bullshit argument.

• Options

HHusky said:

HHusky said:

HHusky said:

HHusky said:

HHusky said:

Inconsistent with what?
    Didn’t say that.

It was actually the premise you started with.
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,914
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    The fuck?! I just stepped out for some lunch and come back to 68 replies!

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited May 2019
    HHusky said:

HHusky said:

HHusky said:

HHusky said:

HHusky said:

HHusky said:

Inconsistent with what?
    Didn’t say that.

It was actually the premise you started with.
    Didn’t mention where we got any ideas at all.

Premise is my body my choice applies narrowly to leftist.
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,741
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    edited May 2019

HHusky said:

HHusky said:

HHusky said:

Inconsistent with what?
    That's fair, but I'll just say this: you can be right about one thing even if you are selective about how you appply that reasoning to other things.

In this case, if the woman assigns no moral agency to the fetus, then they are right to say "my body/my choice" because the state is intruding upon her right to manage her physical self as she sees fit. That she forgets that rationale in some other arena doesn't make her wrong, just, as you put it, inconsistent.

Vaccines are tricky though. If the fetus has no moral significance, then the moral equivalent of removing a mole affects no other person.

If an unvaccinated person spreads disease (not offering up an opinion on that; I don't have the background to debate the point), then in theory that person is effectively assaulting other people. Lives are being effected!!! That's a potential distinction from the abortion debate.

Otherwise, yeah, I agree. People are full of shit and hopelessly inconsistent.
  • Options
    TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,749
    Abortion is...........

Alabama's gift to the nearly dead MSM for a certain ratings boost. Thanks Saban.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

HHusky said:

HHusky said:

HHusky said:

Inconsistent with what?
    That's fair, but I'll just say this: you can be right about one thing even if you are selective about how you appply that reasoning to other things.

In this case, if the woman assigns no moral agency to the fetus, then they are right to say "my body/my choice" because the state is intruding upon her right to manage her physical self as she sees fit. That she forgets that rationale in some other arena doesn't make her wrong, just, as you put it, inconsistent.

Vaccines are tricky though. If the fetus has no moral significance, then the moral equivalent of removing a mole affects no other person.

If an unvaccinated person spreads disease (not offering up an opinion on that; I don't have the background to debate the point), then in theory that person is effectively assaulting other people. Lives are being effected!!! That's a potential distinction from the abortion debate.

On vaccines, what risks should someone be forced to take in order to protect someone else from harm?
  • Options

HHusky said:

HHusky said:

HHusky said:

Inconsistent with what?

On vaccines, what risks should someone be forced to take in order to protect someone else from harm?
    None I suppose. If they are indeed risky and not using them is indeed risky, society has itself a quandary I guess.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,331
    Swaye's Wigwam
    We aren't a theocracy so religious interpretations about life need not apply including my own personal thoughts on abortion at any time

In theory we make laws based on logic and science (stop laughing)

I believe the original ruling on first trimester was based on non viability outside the womb. Muslims didn't like that but tough shit. It was a societal compromise to protect the woman from the back alley. It was an acknowledgement that like drugs and booze, abortions were going to happen. They could be regulated or not.

Ever since this has been one of the best fund raising items on both sides. Bama is going to fuck that up by getting SERIOUS about almost eliminating it
  • Options
    SledogSledog Member Posts: 30,752
    Alabama making people responsible for their actions again!
  • Options

We aren't a theocracy so religious interpretations about life need not apply including my own personal thoughts on abortion at any time

In theory we make laws based on logic and science (stop laughing)

I believe the original ruling on first trimester was based on non viability outside the womb. Muslims didn't like that but tough shit. It was a societal compromise to protect the woman from the back alley. It was an acknowledgement that like drugs and booze, abortions were going to happen. They could be regulated or not.

Ever since this has been one of the best fund raising items on both sides. Bama is going to fuck that up by getting SERIOUS about almost eliminating it

The philosophizers take issue with viability because technology moves that line backward all the time, and so the thought is that whether someone is a person or not shouldn't be a function of technology.

I myself don't get too hung up on that and think the first trimester is a good enough line to draw. We draw lines in life all the tim. This is as a good a context to draw one as any.