Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

What got you into talking /interested in politics?

Comments

• Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,584
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker

I’m going to probably catch a lot of shit for this, but for me it was when I was in middle school, and the Clinton-Bush-Perot presidential race was in full swing. For whatever reason the thought of a third party candidate fascinated me. I was glued to the TV for all the updates on the Headline News channel (Google that shit youngsters), watched all of the debates, Clinton’s appearances on Arsenio Hall, *and* Perot’s 30 minute paid infomercials on the national debt. The whole mess made for some of the most entertaining SNL political sketches ever.

Nerd
  • Options
    Doog_de_JourDoog_de_Jour Member Posts: 7,958
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

I’m going to probably catch a lot of shit for this, but for me it was when I was in middle school, and the Clinton-Bush-Perot presidential race was in full swing. For whatever reason the thought of a third party candidate fascinated me. I was glued to the TV for all the updates on the Headline News channel (Google that shit youngsters), watched all of the debates, Clinton’s appearances on Arsenio Hall, *and* Perot’s 30 minute paid infomercials on the national debt. The whole mess made for some of the most entertaining SNL political sketches ever.

Nerd
    Yup. Big one.
  • Options
    LebamDawgLebamDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,541
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    That's nerdess to you @Pitchfork51
  • Options
    whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,273
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Standard Supporter

whlinder said:

BearsWiin said:

whlinder said:

I grew up just outside DC and my dad was a lobbyist. I told my HS government class in 1998 that W would be the next President.

I don't *think* I really argue it though, I find everything about politics so dumb anymore as it's nothing but cliched bullshit. Detailed policy debates trying to solve complex multi-variate problems are interesting, but those don't exist anymore. Dedicated servants trying to do what's best for their constituents and country don't exist anymore. It's become another game to try to play and win which will burn us eventually.

That's actually happening at every level of government; you're just choosing to concentrate on the froth
    I try to focus more on the local level since those are real decisions that impact me, save from things like slight tax rate changes. And it happens there too which is honestly worse because there are even fewer checks and balances to identify and stop corruption.

A dude I golf with, hardcore Republican, was railing about something with local politics and said how he hoped the Republican would win a School Board seat. (You can't openly run with a party for School Board here but you can be endorsed of course) I said I don't hope he wins because a political party shouldn't have any place on a fucking school board. His mind was just blown- the concept of running the schools to make best use of county resources without influence of a party platform had never entered his mind.
    There's nothing more politically driven than school board races. They dictate what the 60k kids in Seattle Public Schools are taught right now. Want them learning about biological reproduction, or gender bending? Don't think that's important?
    And my point is they should be non-partisan. Of course figuring out curriculum is important. And I don’t want a political party anywhere near that.
  • Options
    SFGbobSFGbob Member Posts: 31,920
    Standard Supporter
    whlinder said:

whlinder said:

BearsWiin said:

whlinder said:

I grew up just outside DC and my dad was a lobbyist. I told my HS government class in 1998 that W would be the next President.

I don't *think* I really argue it though, I find everything about politics so dumb anymore as it's nothing but cliched bullshit. Detailed policy debates trying to solve complex multi-variate problems are interesting, but those don't exist anymore. Dedicated servants trying to do what's best for their constituents and country don't exist anymore. It's become another game to try to play and win which will burn us eventually.

That's actually happening at every level of government; you're just choosing to concentrate on the froth
    I try to focus more on the local level since those are real decisions that impact me, save from things like slight tax rate changes. And it happens there too which is honestly worse because there are even fewer checks and balances to identify and stop corruption.

A dude I golf with, hardcore Republican, was railing about something with local politics and said how he hoped the Republican would win a School Board seat. (You can't openly run with a party for School Board here but you can be endorsed of course) I said I don't hope he wins because a political party shouldn't have any place on a fucking school board. His mind was just blown- the concept of running the schools to make best use of county resources without influence of a party platform had never entered his mind.
    There's nothing more politically driven than school board races. They dictate what the 60k kids in Seattle Public Schools are taught right now. Want them learning about biological reproduction, or gender bending? Don't think that's important?
    And my point is they should be non-partisan. Of course figuring out curriculum is important. And I don’t want a political party anywhere near that.
    But if the majority of school board members are bought and paid for by the teacher unions, and in urban areas they most definitely are, then you already have a political party involved in making that decision whether the candidate puts a D after their name or not.

The teachers unions aren’t non-partisan organizations, they are left wing and almost exclusively Rat party supporters.

You want to take politics out of how the schools are run while ignoring 800 pound partisan gorilla in the room.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    SFGbob said:

whlinder said:

whlinder said:

BearsWiin said:

whlinder said:

But if the majority of school board members are bought and paid for by the teacher unions, and in urban areas they most definitely are, then you already have a political party involved in making that decision whether the candidate puts a D after their name or not.

The teachers unions aren’t non-partisan organizations, they are left wing and almost exclusively Rat party supporters.

You want to take politics out of how the schools are run while ignoring 800 pound partisan gorilla in the room.
    whlinder said:

I find everything about politics so dumb anymore as it's nothing but cliched bullshit. Detailed policy debates trying to solve complex multi-variate problems are interesting, but those don't exist anymore. Dedicated servants trying to do what's best for their constituents and country don't exist anymore. It's become another game to try to play and win which will burn us eventually.

• Options
    Standard Supporter
    I'm not disagreeing with you assessment of politics today. My disagreement is with your belief that a guy running as a Republican for a school board seat is going to inject party politics into how the schools are being running. Party politics is already there, and it's been there for years and just because someone may run as a non-partisan, if they are doing it with the backing of the NEA, they are injecting party politics into the job

• Options
    Standard Supporter
    So that was an anecdote of the Republican point of view, but I hold the same of Democrats and injecting party politics into that level of government. I don’t believe it should happen.

I realize that the reality is that teachers are unionized and unions skew heavily toward Democrats, but I believe the bodies overseeing schools should not have political motivations. And whatever controls or oversights need to be put in place to allow that to happen should happen.
  • Options
    Teachers are dtf tho
  • Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,062
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

Swaye said:

Took the test senior year of high school where it rates how you are on the political spectrum. Teacher, who is like 100 years old, hands out the results and tells me I scored the most conservative test score he has seen in 80 years of giving the test or whatever. So I run for Speaker of the House for our mock bullshit, win, and then proceed to rule with an iron fist making all the white shitheads do my bidding. Yes, 1990 was my high water mark in life. Worth it. Totally.

I got a 5 on the AP US Government exam. If I’d have been in your mock bullshit I would have reneged on all my treaties with you.
    Spoken just like a freakishly tall white devil!
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,834
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye said:

Swaye said:

Took the test senior year of high school where it rates how you are on the political spectrum. Teacher, who is like 100 years old, hands out the results and tells me I scored the most conservative test score he has seen in 80 years of giving the test or whatever. So I run for Speaker of the House for our mock bullshit, win, and then proceed to rule with an iron fist making all the white shitheads do my bidding. Yes, 1990 was my high water mark in life. Worth it. Totally.

I got a 5 on the AP US Government exam. If I’d have been in your mock bullshit I would have reneged on all my treaties with you.
    Spoken just like a freakishly tall white devil!
    The short white devils talk that way too.

• Options
    2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457
    whlinder said:

So that was an anecdote of the Republican point of view, but I hold the same of Democrats and injecting party politics into that level of government. I don’t believe it should happen.

I realize that the reality is that teachers are unionized and unions skew heavily toward Democrats, but I believe the bodies overseeing schools should not have political motivations. And whatever controls or oversights need to be put in place to allow that to happen should happen.

Arguing with Bob is like arguing with a door knob. No matter what, all school board members are bought off by the unions and are Democrats. They want to inject liberal view points into it education system and it's going to destroy our country. Any day now.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    I generally don't give much of a shit but to say that teachers don't push a liberal agenda is retarded

This has been known for like the last 60 years

Why is it you people always have to deny the obvious stuff?

• Options
    Standard Supporter
    2001400ex said:

whlinder said:

Arguing with Bob is like arguing with a door knob. No matter what, all school board members are bought off by the unions and are Democrats. They want to inject liberal view points into it education system and it's going to destroy our country. Any day now.
    You could try and argue against what I have actually said but we both know you’re too fucking stupid and you can’t, so you do what you always do Hondo. Create a bunch of straw men and fuck them right in the ass.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter

I generally don't give much of a shit but to say that teachers don't push a liberal agenda is retarded

99.9% of the teacher union political donations go to the Rats and left wing organizations but in the land of Hondo the dipshit that doesn’t qualify as any evidence that the teachers unions push any kind of liberal agenda.
  • Options

So you really think teachers across the country are primarily liberal? You do realize that their demographic is probably pretty close to the same as the general population, right?
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    edited May 2019
    2001400ex said:

So you really think teachers across the country are primarily liberal? You do realize that their demographic is probably pretty close to the same as the general population, right?
    You do realize that you're a fucking moron who rarely if ever gets anything right if the topic strays from you single area of expertise; Dick sucking.

About 77 percent of public school teachers today are female.

Despite the attention given to the need to recruit more teachers of color, little progress has been made in diversifying the profession. Overall, the percentage of White teachers has declined slightly from 84 percent in 1999-2000. In 2015–16, about 80 percent of public school teachers were White, 9 percent were Hispanic (an increase of 3 percent since 2000), 7 percent were Black, 2 percent were Asian, and 1 percent were of two or more races.

Yeah, that's a demographic that's just the same as the general population. Do you know anything?
  • Options
    SFGbob said:

2001400ex said:

You do realize that you're a fucking moron who rarely if ever gets anything right if the topic strays from you single area of expertise; Dick sucking.

About 77 percent of public school teachers today are female.

Despite the attention given to the need to recruit more teachers of color, little progress has been made in diversifying the profession. Overall, the percentage of White teachers has declined slightly from 84 percent in 1999-2000. In 2015–16, about 80 percent of public school teachers were White, 9 percent were Hispanic (an increase of 3 percent since 2000), 7 percent were Black, 2 percent were Asian, and 1 percent were of two or more races.

Yeah, that's a demographic that's just the same as the general population. Do you know anything?
    I'll add sexist to you being racist and a pedophile Homophobic faggot.