Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

What got you into talking /interested in politics?

Comments

• Options
    whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,273
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    BearsWiin said:

whlinder said:

I grew up just outside DC and my dad was a lobbyist. I told my HS government class in 1998 that W would be the next President.

I don't *think* I really argue it though, I find everything about politics so dumb anymore as it's nothing but cliched bullshit. Detailed policy debates trying to solve complex multi-variate problems are interesting, but those don't exist anymore. Dedicated servants trying to do what's best for their constituents and country don't exist anymore. It's become another game to try to play and win which will burn us eventually.

That's actually happening at every level of government; you're just choosing to concentrate on the froth
    I try to focus more on the local level since those are real decisions that impact me, save from things like slight tax rate changes. And it happens there too which is honestly worse because there are even fewer checks and balances to identify and stop corruption.

A dude I golf with, hardcore Republican, was railing about something with local politics and said how he hoped the Republican would win a School Board seat. (You can't openly run with a party for School Board here but you can be endorsed of course) I said I don't hope he wins because a political party shouldn't have any place on a fucking school board. His mind was just blown- the concept of running the schools to make best use of county resources without influence of a party platform had never entered his mind.
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,911
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    whlinder said:

BearsWiin said:

whlinder said:

I grew up just outside DC and my dad was a lobbyist. I told my HS government class in 1998 that W would be the next President.

I don't *think* I really argue it though, I find everything about politics so dumb anymore as it's nothing but cliched bullshit. Detailed policy debates trying to solve complex multi-variate problems are interesting, but those don't exist anymore. Dedicated servants trying to do what's best for their constituents and country don't exist anymore. It's become another game to try to play and win which will burn us eventually.

That's actually happening at every level of government; you're just choosing to concentrate on the froth
    I try to focus more on the local level since those are real decisions that impact me, save from things like slight tax rate changes. And it happens there too which is honestly worse because there are even fewer checks and balances to identify and stop corruption.

A dude I golf with, hardcore Republican, was railing about something with local politics and said how he hoped the Republican would win a School Board seat. (You can't openly run with a party for School Board here but you can be endorsed of course) I said I don't hope he wins because a political party shouldn't have any place on a fucking school board. His mind was just blown- the concept of running the schools to make best use of county resources without influence of a party platform had never entered his mind.
    Row boat is a hot bed of reasonable, centrist, political views.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter

whlinder said:

Just curious how long he lasted as a lobbyist and if you can share what industry he worked for.
    Long time, early 1980s until he was forced into retirement about 10 years ago. He wanted to keep working but Parkinsons...

Energy policy with a focus on renewable energy. He went to Kyoto in 1997.
  • Options
    SFGbobSFGbob Member Posts: 31,920
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    whlinder said:

BearsWiin said:

whlinder said:

While I kind of agree with this it's pretty naive to believe that a School Board candidate that is beholden to the Teacher Unions, and most School Board members are, isn't being influenced by the Rat Party's platform. The teachers unions are nothing more than funding arms of the Rat party,
  • Options
    Standard Supporter

whlinder said:

BearsWiin said:

whlinder said:

Row boat is a hot bed of reasonable, centrist, political views.
    #SlowStrategy #Elitist
  • Options
    HHuskyHHusky Member Posts: 19,131
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Alexis said:

When my dad (#1) told me years ago that if I wasn't a liberal in my 20s, I had no heart, and if I wasn't a conservative by my 40s, I had no brains.

I figured I'd just skip the heart part.

What passes for conservative today isn’t remotely brainy.
  • Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I hate talking about politics
  • Options
    HHuskyHHusky Member Posts: 19,131
    SFGbob said:

HHusky said:

Alexis said:

When my dad (#1) told me years ago that if I wasn't a liberal in my 20s, I had no heart, and if I wasn't a conservative by my 40s, I had no brains.

Another one of the little lies you tell yourself, while you align yourself with a party that is filled with dumbasses like AOC, Maxine Waters and Joe Biden
    The brainy conservatives have been fleeing your populist shit show in droves.
  • Options
    SFGbobSFGbob Member Posts: 31,920
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    edited May 2019
    HHusky said:

SFGbob said:

HHusky said:

Alexis said:

Another one of the little lies you tell yourself, while you align yourself with a party that is filled with dumbasses like AOC, Maxine Waters and Joe Biden
    The brainy conservatives have been fleeing your populist shit show in droves.
    Oh no! How will we survive the loss of Bill Kristol and David Frum.

• Options
    SledogSledog Member Posts: 30,749
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    HHusky said:

Alexis said:

What passes for liberalism today is brainless.
  • Options
    CirrhosisDawgCirrhosisDawg Member Posts: 6,390
    First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Swaye said:

Took the test senior year of high school where it rates how you are on the political spectrum. Teacher, who is like 100 years old, hands out the results and tells me I scored the most conservative test score he has seen in 80 years of giving the test or whatever. So I run for Speaker of the House for our mock bullshit, win, and then proceed to rule with an iron fist making all the white shitheads do my bidding. Yes, 1990 was my high water mark in life. Worth it. Totally.

The white shitheads did your bidding? Autocratic rule? Sounds like your high water mark came 26 years too soon.
  • Options
    TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,749
    Your GF's dad is boring. You need to dump her. Like father, like daughter. I promise.
  • Options
    HHusky said:

I think it’s because I hate people.

So you want to control them. Just like Ted Bundy.
  • Options
    whlinder said:

BearsWiin said:

whlinder said:

There's nothing more politically driven than school board races. They dictate what the 60k kids in Seattle Public Schools are taught right now. Want them learning about biological reproduction, or gender bending? Don't think that's important?
  • Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,584
    Swaye said:

Took the test senior year of high school where it rates how you are on the political spectrum. Teacher, who is like 100 years old, hands out the results and tells me I scored the most conservative test score he has seen in 80 years of giving the test or whatever. So I run for Speaker of the House for our mock bullshit, win, and then proceed to rule with an iron fist making all the white shitheads do my bidding. Yes, 1990 was my high water mark in life. Worth it. Totally.

Imagine being old enough to remember 1990
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,911
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Swaye said:

I got a 5 on the AP US Government exam. If I’d have been in your mock bullshit I would have reneged on all my treaties with you.