Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Sirmon Yankoff Couch Sale

Comments

• Options
    dawgs206dawgs206 Member Posts: 482
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Photogenic
    Stalin, I just posted something that took 10 minutes of my precious time because it was so well thought out and it has disappeared after a simple edit. I would like it reinstated to get my well-deserved chin or two. Thanks, DWags206
  • Options
    CallMeBigErnCallMeBigErn Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,236
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Founders Club
    edited April 2019
    Doogles said:

Doogles said:

whlinder said:

God Damn it. Expected to lose 1 of them this spring and was hoping it would be Haener, with Yankoff possibly switching positions. But if Yankoff wants to play QB I understand him transferring.

It is a MASSIVE failure of the staff to lose Sirmon instead of Haener. Incomprehensibly bad roster management.

The only reason people are bemoaning losing Sirmon over Haener is because he's 6'5" and had more stars. Not one person has seen enough of Sirmon since he got here and given an actual reasoned take on why they think he's better than Haener. Because he's not.

And the "Petersen loves midgets" theory is fucking stupid too. He's the one who recruited Eason, Sirmon, and Yankoff in the first place. The real crisis here is that out of a huge and diverse QB room with tons of raw talent, we're still waiting for a guy to grab the reins and nobody has appeared to do so. If we can't find an above average starter out of everyone we had coming into this spring, then we're fucked. It either means consistent misses in talent evaluation, development, designing a digestible offense for a college player, or a combination of all three. But either way the end result is fucked.
    When you see the guy six inches shorter than you skipping the ball off the turf and throwing pick after pick, but still he gets starter reps and is at worst the entrenched 2, it makes you wonder.

I've seen Haener suck in live game action. He's had a terrible spring by all reports. How could you not feel slighted if you're Sirmon?
    Sirmon barely threw at a 60% clip against fucking KingCo4A. And you're fucking surprised that he now sucks in college too?

Christ, you dipshits want to make everything about Haener when the easy answer is right in front of you - Sirmon isn't that fucking good.
    If you know a guy isn't it (Haener) then you need to go down the list. Sirmon might suck, probably does, but at least there is a chance he doesn't and rare tools to work with.
    You don't know if Haener isn't it. I don't either. He may be shit, he may be decent, he may be good. Musta said it about a thousand times. The data set you're trying to base this opinion off is smaller than my IQ (really small). Fuckin' armchair coaches around here, man...
  • Options
    HuskyJWHuskyJW Guest, Member Posts: 14,183
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    I'm beside myself with this whole thing.

That being said...coaches loved BBK a few years ago and we all hated him.

I can admit when I'm wrong.
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,749
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    edited April 2019

I am on board that the key issue all of this is we have filled up a barn full of prize horses over the past few years and none of them stick out at all, actually quite the opposite. Feels like when I do read something they overall had a rough day but one or two good plays. Even Eason has been struggling overall and he was a true freshman starter in the toughest conference. So this means a serious lack of QB scouting and development which means the offense is going to be the same old frustrating piece of shit for years to come.

@strongarmhaieballz going into orbit in 5, 4, 3, 2 ....

• Options

Go ahead and bury the truth but I ask again how in the fuck Yankoff was a 4 star and why in the fuck did we recruit a QB who can't throw?

[Peterman "stars?" gif]
  • Options
    whlinder said:

A world might exist where we are better off without Chris Petersen.

Head coach Jimmy Lake?

The Peter Principle. You never know when higher up is too high for you ... until you find out.
  • Options
    jecornel said:

Remember when UW was QB U? With all the millenial doogs here, the answer is no, but it was true. The old people remember.

Me! Me! Me!
  • Options
    MeekMeek Member Posts: 7,031
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Jake Haener is going to be the #1 overall pick and you guys will eat crow.

• Options
    FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,712

Doogles said:

Doogles said:

whlinder said:

God Damn it. Expected to lose 1 of them this spring and was hoping it would be Haener, with Yankoff possibly switching positions. But if Yankoff wants to play QB I understand him transferring.

It is a MASSIVE failure of the staff to lose Sirmon instead of Haener. Incomprehensibly bad roster management.

The only reason people are bemoaning losing Sirmon over Haener is because he's 6'5" and had more stars. Not one person has seen enough of Sirmon since he got here and given an actual reasoned take on why they think he's better than Haener. Because he's not.

And the "Petersen loves midgets" theory is fucking stupid too. He's the one who recruited Eason, Sirmon, and Yankoff in the first place. The real crisis here is that out of a huge and diverse QB room with tons of raw talent, we're still waiting for a guy to grab the reins and nobody has appeared to do so. If we can't find an above average starter out of everyone we had coming into this spring, then we're fucked. It either means consistent misses in talent evaluation, development, designing a digestible offense for a college player, or a combination of all three. But either way the end result is fucked.
    When you see the guy six inches shorter than you skipping the ball off the turf and throwing pick after pick, but still he gets starter reps and is at worst the entrenched 2, it makes you wonder.

I've seen Haener suck in live game action. He's had a terrible spring by all reports. How could you not feel slighted if you're Sirmon?
    Sirmon barely threw at a 60% clip against fucking KingCo4A. And you're fucking surprised that he now sucks in college too?

Christ, you dipshits want to make everything about Haener when the easy answer is right in front of you - Sirmon isn't that fucking good.
    If you know a guy isn't it (Haener) then you need to go down the list. Sirmon might suck, probably does, but at least there is a chance he doesn't and rare tools to work with.
    You don't know if Haener isn't it. I don't either. He may be shit, he may be decent, he may be good. Musta said it about a thousand times. The data set you're trying to base this opinion off is smaller than my IQ (really small). Fuckin' armchair coaches around here, man...
    This is a motte and bailey fallacious argument.

Of course we can't say 100% that Haener isn't "it." There is always a chance.

But then you jump from saying well since we can't know for sure then we know nothing and we don't have enough data to have ANY opinion.

That is crazy but when we call you out on it you will retreat to the motte and say well we don't know for sure!

Fuck off with that shit.

Actual analysis of Haner's value:

Coming into UW we start with a "prior belief distribution" that is something like 60% washout, 30% career backup, 8% serviceable starter, 2% star* based on:

-Most QBs, even highly rated ones, fail
    -Generous 6'0" listing
    -Zero other Power Conference offers
    -UW only offered after whiffing on everyone else
    -Not rated highly by recruiting services

Now lets look at what evidence we have since he arrived on campus:

-Looked good against North Dakota
    -Looked horrible against Cal
    -Threw a million and one picks leading the #1/#2 offense in spring camp
    -Gained coaches' trust
    -Shown zero tools or rare abilities other than coachability
    -Hasn't grown taller

It isn't a lot of data, true, but the evidence we do have certainly doesn't cause us to revise our "prior belief distribution" upward. It either confirms it or leads to a downward revision.

So yeah, moving on from Haener makes total sense. Especially when you consider the cost of NOT moving on (losing Sirmon and Yankoff.)

Sirmon and Yankoff ARE ALSO PROBABLY IRREDEEMABLY AWFUL but QBs, like kickers or coaching hires, are like rolling the dice. You don't know what you are going to get ahead of time- there is a lot of randomness and luck involved. So unless you fall backasswards into a Sam Huard type talent your strategy should be to get as many dice rolls in as possible. Once you crap out your chips are gone and aren't coming back. Get new chips down and go again.

*numbers made up, feel free to come up with your own.
  • Options
    CallMeBigErnCallMeBigErn Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,236
    Founders Club
    Meek said:

Jake Haener is going to be the #1 overall pick and you guys will eat crow.

Wouldn't that be rad as shit?
  • Options
    guntloveguntlove Member Posts: 784

I am on board that the key issue all of this is we have filled up a barn full of prize horses over the past few years and none of them stick out at all, actually quite the opposite. Feels like when I do read something they overall had a rough day but one or two good plays. Even Eason has been struggling overall and he was a true freshman starter in the toughest conference. So this means a serious lack of QB scouting and development which means the offense is going to be the same old frustrating piece of shit for years to come.

This.

Unfortunately.