Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

"OKG" is racist according to Oregon

Comments

• Options
    RatherBeBrewingRatherBeBrewing Member Posts: 1,557
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes

As for demographics: you're not building a team based on the demographics of your region. If that was the case then USC and UCLA would have a Los in front of their name. It would also mean that half of Washington's population is Poly.

Except for you are building a team based off of this in many instances...
    What the fuck does that even mean? Are you trying to say college football teams build their roster based on the demographics of their region?
    The rosters are highly impacted by demographics within their recruiting footprint, yes. How is this a hot take? Why does Florida's roster not have any Polynesians or Chinese or whatever? Why do the SEC teams have more black players in general?
    Demographics matter when you're not allowed to venture more than a day's drive from your campus.

The sample size is too small to be very meaningful, but since you mentioned Florida:

Florida white recruits signed 2018+2019: 7

Oregon white recruits signed 2018+2019: 8

Florida population % white: 57%

Oregon population % white: 78%

Washington white recruits signed: 2018+19: 11

Washington population % white: 71%

I'm not going to waste too much time on this, but a quick look shows that SEC scholarship players and Pac-12 scholarship players are demographically similar. In some cases your guess that SEC teams have more black players is wrong - Alabama has signed more white players, at a higher percentage, than Oregon over the past couple of cycles. Alabama is the state with the 6th highest percentage of black people, while Oregon is 41st.

There are going to be regional differences, like the Poly population being in the Pac-12 footprint. Demographics do play a role, especially with walk-ons, but in a world with Hudl and airplanes they aren't a limiting factor.

But I think you're entirely missing the point: it's not just about Washinton's roster make-up. The issue is what people are talking about, accurate or not, and that's not confined to this shit show.
    Look at the percentage of black people in wa versus florida...

3.6% in WA

17% in Florida

26.5% in Alabama

37.5% Mississippi
    This is a shocking development. States that had slavery have a higher percentage of black people?

Except we're not talking about the population percentages of a state, we're talking about the demographics of a football team not needing to be reflective of their region. But I'm going to dip out of this conversation, I can see we've reached maximum sewage wallowing levels.
  • Options
    PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 24,582
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

As for demographics: you're not building a team based on the demographics of your region. If that was the case then USC and UCLA would have a Los in front of their name. It would also mean that half of Washington's population is Poly.

Except for you are building a team based off of this in many instances...
    What the fuck does that even mean? Are you trying to say college football teams build their roster based on the demographics of their region?
    The rosters are highly impacted by demographics within their recruiting footprint, yes. How is this a hot take? Why does Florida's roster not have any Polynesians or Chinese or whatever? Why do the SEC teams have more black players in general?
    Demographics matter when you're not allowed to venture more than a day's drive from your campus.

The sample size is too small to be very meaningful, but since you mentioned Florida:

Florida white recruits signed 2018+2019: 7

Oregon white recruits signed 2018+2019: 8

Florida population % white: 57%

Oregon population % white: 78%

Washington white recruits signed: 2018+19: 11

Washington population % white: 71%

I'm not going to waste too much time on this, but a quick look shows that SEC scholarship players and Pac-12 scholarship players are demographically similar. In some cases your guess that SEC teams have more black players is wrong - Alabama has signed more white players, at a higher percentage, than Oregon over the past couple of cycles. Alabama is the state with the 6th highest percentage of black people, while Oregon is 41st.

There are going to be regional differences, like the Poly population being in the Pac-12 footprint. Demographics do play a role, especially with walk-ons, but in a world with Hudl and airplanes they aren't a limiting factor.

But I think you're entirely missing the point: it's not just about Washinton's roster make-up. The issue is what people are talking about, accurate or not, and that's not confined to this shit show.
    Look at the percentage of black people in wa versus florida...

3.6% in WA

17% in Florida

26.5% in Alabama

37.5% Mississippi
    This is a shocking development. States that had slavery have a higher percentage of black people?

Except we're not talking about the population percentages of a state, we're talking about the demographics of a football team not needing to be reflective of their region. But I'm going to dip out of this conversation, I can see we've reached maximum sewage wallowing levels.
    No one is saying the football team is going to mirror the state demographics. But the demographics are sure as shit going to have an impact.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    edited May 2019

Doogles said:

https://goducks.com/roster.aspx?roster=273&path=football

I counted 38 white guys. I didn't look at the names just the faces.

I'll let the experts like @Dennis_DeYoung divy up the non-whites because I'm not sure what constitutes black anymore after reading this thread.

https://gohuskies.com/roster.aspx?roster=176&path=football

Counted 34 white faces for our Dawgs... Who's the racist now?!?!?!?!!?!!

This is seriously embarrassing shit.

Walk ons.

If you guys want to live in a world where UW didn't pivot to recruting more Poly and to a lesser degree white dudes and far less black dudes in the last two classes then have fun.

We are in a post-fact world anyway.
    The Poly pivot was the right fucking move, I can't see how anyone would disagree with that. I'd argue it's the best fucking thing we have done in recruiting in the Pete era with the possible exception of hiring Jimmy Lake.

I agree it makes us less black. It makes us less white too.

Most importantly it makes us a better, more talented football team.
    This.

If Iran started producing the best football athletes in the world and we signed 10 middle eastern 5 star players, I WOULD BE FUCKING ECSTATIC.

Our best recruiter is a Polynesian alumni from Hawaii who happens to relate well to other Polynesian high school kids. There is nothing wrong with that! Our coaching staff is incredibly diverse.
  • Options
    FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,712
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

Doogles said:

I'll let the experts like @Dennis_DeYoung divy up the non-whites because I'm not sure what constitutes black anymore after reading this thread.

Walk ons.

If you guys want to live in a world where UW didn't pivot to recruting more Poly and to a lesser degree white dudes and far less black dudes in the last two classes then have fun.

The Poly pivot was the right fucking move, I can't see how anyone would disagree with that. I'd argue it's the best fucking thing we have done in recruiting in the Pete era with the possible exception of hiring Jimmy Lake.

I didn't say it wasn't the right move.

I said there were tradeoffs.

PGOS wants it both ways- benefiting from emphasis on poly community with no fallout from signing less black players.

And the sample size is small but no evidence of becoming less white if anything its the opposite compared to historical UW recruiting.
  • Options
    CallMeBigErnCallMeBigErn Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,276
    Founders Club

Doogles said:

Walk ons.

I didn't say it wasn't the right move.

I said there were tradeoffs.

PGOS wants it both ways- benefiting from emphasis on poly community with no fallout from signing less black players.

And the sample size is small but no evidence of becoming less white if anything its the opposite compared to historical UW recruiting.
    The fuck is this sentence?
  • Options
    Founders Club

Is the argument that Peterson has high standards for character, discipline and teamwork and those standards keep out black players? If you think that, I’d suggest you’re a racist.

• Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,749
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    I'm not reading all this.

Are we? arguing that UW isn't black enough and it's because Pete is uncomfortable with black culture? Is that it?
  • Options
    Founders Club

Are we? arguing that UW isn't black enough and it's because Pete is uncomfortable with black culture? Is that it?

• Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,749
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic

That's fucking Raysiss right there. You must be on Pete's staff.
  • Options
    NorwegianHuskyNorwegianHusky Member Posts: 3,422
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    edited May 2019

Is the argument that Peterson has high standards for character, discipline and teamwork and those standards keep out black players? If you think that, I’d suggest you’re a racist.

God, you're so fucking close to making sense. You're like 99% of the way there...
  • Options
    jecorneljecornel Member Posts: 9,605
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    I know some want this thread removed from the board.

Some want the discussion to end (PGOS).

All you have to do is stop commenting on the topic.

• Options
    PurpleBazePurpleBaze Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,488
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    edited May 2019
    jecornel said:

Okay!

Yes, I had to edit this.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    jecornel said:

Im perfectly happy calling out the bullshit
  • Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    jecornel said:

Disagree
  • Options
    jecorneljecornel Member Posts: 9,605
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    Standard Supporter

jecornel said:

Disagree
    Agree.