Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Game of Thrones season 8 mega thread

Comments

• Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,769
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    BearsWiin said:

Gladstone said:

Slept on it and I'm still kinda vexed. Absolutely nothing makes sense. Jon is forced to reform the Nights Watch, which is entirely unnecessary now, to avoid war with the Unsullied, who've been mostly wiped out and leave anyway, because the wars must end for some particular reason, even though he can be absolved of his crimes by one of two monarchs, both of whom are his siblings. How does this never come up during the writing process or the table reads?

There's no more Night's Watch, but the Unsullied don't know that

It's just a means for Bran to put his cousin where Jon has always wanted to be anyway, in a bromance with Tormund
  • Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,572
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    I'm still about 90 percent sure Jon is supposed to kill Dany before the white walkers win then his sword bursts into flame and he beats them.
  • Options
    DoogCouricsDoogCourics Member Posts: 5,739
    Dany frees 8,000 fully trained Unsullied and another 2,000 still in training. 10,000 Unsullied. Don’t know the count on Dothraki but going to guess 2,000.

We see with our eyes that the entire Dothraki Horde was wiped out in the Battle of Winterfell.

We see Grey Worm sacrifice his Unsullied in the Battle of Winterfell by using them to protect the retreat.

We get told after the Battle of Winterfell that half the forces survived and can sail to Dragonstone. Lazy writing but ok.

The fleet is destroyed for a 3rd time by Euron (the other two being when Yara is taken and when Casterly Rock is sacrificed). This means the rest of the Unsullied and Dothraki should be lost at that point.

40 wash up on shore and are with Dany outside the gates of King’s Landing when Missandei is beheaded.

Clearly during the battle of King’s Landing a few hundred of each have magically resurrected but really Drogon is doing the damage. Lazy writing but ok.

Dany wins the battle and addresses her few surviving but ever loyal troops:

• Options
    BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,333
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

Not only does Greyworm have the fast travel passive skill but he also learned the teleport perk.

He also lets his hostage free himself and choose the new king

The last episode was the worst tv ive ever seen

• Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    BearsWiin said:

Not only does Greyworm have the fast travel passive skill but he also learned the teleport perk.

You must not watch very much TV
    nothing special
  • Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,176
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    BearsWiin said:

You must not watch very much TV have seen the rest of the season
    Not even the worst episode this year.
  • Options
    PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 24,499
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

BearsWiin said:

You must not watch very much TV have seen the rest of the season
    Not even the worst episode this year.
    It was. Bran? Are you fucking kidding me?
  • Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,296
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Wait... people kept watching after episodes four and five!?
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,769

Wait... people kept watching after episodes four and five!?

The Throbber just put the episode where Khaleesi took it in the butt on repeat....

• Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,060
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    edited May 2019
    Ive been trying to digest the last two episodes for two weeks before saying anything. In the end, it isn't worth my time to write 4 paragraphs to describe any of it. I had high hopes through the first three episodes this year that they could capture the season 1-4 (and large parts of 5) magic. I was wrong. Absolute disaster. Disgrace. Really just a fucking joke.

I blame GRRM for this more than anyone. I hate myself for even watching the last 40% of this mess of a show. The first 4 seasons were the finest show I have ever seen. The last 2-3 seasons place a distant second to Welcome Back Kotter reruns. FUCK YOUR FACE GRRM!

Bran, as King? GTFO!
  • Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,572
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye said:

Ive been trying to digest the last two episodes for two weeks before saying anything. In the end, it isn't worth my time to write 4 paragraphs to describe any of it. I had high hopes through the first three episodes this year that they could capture the season 1-4 (and large parts of 5) magic. I was wrong. Absolute disaster. Disgrace. Really just a fucking joke.

I blame GRRM for this more than anyone. I hate myself for even watching the last 40% of this mess of a show. The first 4 seasons were the finest show I have ever seen. The last 2-3 seasons place a distant second to Welcome Back Kotter reruns. FUCK YOUR FACE GRRM!

Bran, as King? GTFO!

I didn't even watch the finale.

If you would have told me more than a year or so ago that I wouldn't have any interest in the end of got I would have called you nuts
  • Options
    BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,333
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

Swaye said:

Bran, as King? GTFO!

If you would have told me more than a year or so ago that I wouldn't have any interest in the end of got I would have called you nuts
    Quitters gonna quit.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,134
    Swaye's Wigwam
    From @CuzzinBailey: So Dan and Dave got perfect material for Game of Thrones and when it came to writing their own stuff they kinda blew it. Like a college football coach who inherited awesome recruits and then did nothing when he had to play with his own. I don’t have a question.

I think Cuzzin just called David Benioff and D.B. Weiss—the showrunners of Game of Thrones—the Larry Cokers of television. Sure, they won a title when they had five books worth of material, but when that material ran out, they started playing in the pay-TV version of Peach Bowls (and not the current New Year’s Six version of the Peach Bowl).

So in this analogy, Butch Davis is George R.R. Martin. The only difference is Butch is coaching college football now and GRRM does not appear to be making progress on finishing the series. I have volunteered my services, but be aware that if given the job, Strong Belwas—someone only us book-reading nerds know—will wind up running Westeros at the end of A Dream of Spring.
  • Options
    DoogCouricsDoogCourics Member Posts: 5,739
    Swaye said:

Swaye said:

Bran, as King? GTFO!

My post is proof positive that you should research shit before just spouting off bullshit.

So, since I rarely actually do any work at Orkin, I decided to go figure out WTF happened with the last 3 seasons of this once epic series. I read a TON or articles and quotes and HBO insider commentary and pieced together what I *think* is a pretty accurate picture of what happened.

Is that fat fuck GRRM behind? Of course he is. Probably never would have finished no matter what, but originally GRRM thought he had MUCH more time than Benioff and Weiss (B&W) ended up giving the project. It took 4 seasons of show to tell the first three books (book 3 was seasons 3 and 4 together by itself), and the storylines in the next two books got incredibly complex. GRRM rightly believed that the next two books were at minimum 3 seasons, and possibly 4. Instead it got one season. Season 5, which started strong but felt incredibly rushed for the last half. Why, because it was. That's when the wheels started falling off. They had 3-4 SEASONS of material in those two books and they crammed it down our throats (lulz) in 1 season.

HBO was NOT pushing them to do this. HBO is on record multiple times as willing to pay for as much GoT as D&W could deliver. And why would they care? It's the most popular show in the history of cable epics. Bar none. Cash cow. HBO didn't give a fuck if this took 13 seasons to wrap up. Some of the actors might have, who knows? Just throw money at them and they can fuck off. So anyway GRRM thought he had a few more years to finish book 6, and he hoped that would give him two more years to finish book 7. Pipe dream yes. We were never getting book 7 at that fat fucks pace, but we could have had book 6 and source material for years. Had they done books 4 and 5 over seasons 5, 6 and 7, at a minimum, perhaps he finishes book 6 and we get a season(s) 8 and 9 out of that. Then D&W are only one book short on source material to wrap it up in a single shitty season 10 instead of fucking up the entire back half of it.

Rumor has it GRRM was pissed about what happened season 5, and realized at that point there was no way he could keep up if they are going to put almost 3000 written pages into a single 10 episode season. I think he gave up, because D&W got tired, greedy, or whatever they got. Anyway, D&W seem most at fault for me. They want to go do Star Wars so they just slapdicked the last half of this together and fucked it all away. I hope they get run over by a truck. FUCK THEM IN THEIR FACES!

I can;t believe I wasted an hour of my life to read about this and post on it. I feel better now.
    This is spot on.

I mean Books 4&5 were the same timeline but there were so many story lines that he split it into two separate 1,000 page books just to cover it all.

And that got shoved into 10 hours.