Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

The Daily AOC

Comments

• Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    She's an angry and sorta arrogant kid.
  • Options
    TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,749
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

But she can mix a mean Margarita, I hear.
  • Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,584
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker

But she can mix a mean Margarita, I hear.
    Bullshit. She does that no Cointreau and just agave and tequila with not fresh lime
  • Options
    allpurpleallgoldallpurpleallgold Member Posts: 8,771
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Is it? She was wrong that it was specifically to prevent another FDR term however I don’t think that makes her point wrong. It was in response to FDR and it was a political power move.

Think about it like this, what would the rights reaction have been had Obama pushed to end presidential term limits even if it wouldn’t affect him? It would have been psychotic outrage and the people most outraged are the ones attacking AOC for this and you can’t square those things.

The singular point of it preventing another FDR term is wrong, the point she was making stands.
  • Options
    SFGbobSFGbob Member Posts: 31,920
    Standard Supporter

Is it? She was wrong that it was specifically to prevent another FDR term however I don’t think that makes her point wrong. It was in response to FDR and it was a political power move.

Think about it like this, what would the rights reaction have been had Obama pushed to end presidential term limits even if it wouldn’t affect him? It would have been psychotic outrage and the people most outraged are the ones attacking AOC for this and you can’t square those things.

The singular point of it preventing another FDR term is wrong, the point she was making stands.
    Probably about the same as the left's reaction to the claim that Trump is going to end Presidential term limits.
  • Options
    SFGbobSFGbob Member Posts: 31,920
    Standard Supporter

So fake but accurate, got it.
  • Options
    pawzpawz Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 18,775
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    edited April 2019

I'm FOR removing Presidential term-limits.

In the event you have a great executive, why the hell would you want to cut off your nose to spite your face?

Further, it keeps us? from playing long-ball in geopolitical terms. Something China is doing quite well.
  • Options
    HillsboroDuckHillsboroDuck Member Posts: 9,186
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker

I'm not really following you here. Obviously the amendment was in response to FDR getting elected twice as many times as anyone had ever before him, I don't think anyone would argue against that point. To call it a "political power" move suggests it's something like the GOP Senate not voting on Garland - a pure dick move intended to send a message to the other party/steal some power when they could. And I'm not super up on my late 40's early 50's politics but I can't imagine the GOP had that much power to put through a Constitutional amendment on their own with no cooperation from the Democratic Party.

Again, maybe I'm just way off here but the bar for a Constitutional Amendment is extremely high for a reason. I find it highly unlikely that the GOP was able to consolidate enough power to pull that off.
  • Options
    pawz said:

In the event you have a great executive, why the hell would you want to cut off your nose to spite your face?

Further, it keeps us? from playing long-ball in geopolitical terms. Something China is doing quite well.
    I almost never disagree with you on here but that's two in a row today. No fucking way I'm for getting rid of presidential term limits. The only minor saving grace we have in this two party dreckfest is the chinevitable pendulum swings every 8-12 years where the other party can undo some or most of the damage the prior ruling party did. Get rid of that and our political dumpster fire becomes a complete abortion.
  • Options
    Founders Club

pawz said:

I almost never disagree with you on here but that's two in a row today. No fucking way I'm for getting rid of presidential term limits. The only minor saving grace we have in this two party dreckfest is the chinevitable pendulum swings every 8-12 years where the other party can undo some or most of the damage the prior ruling party did. Get rid of that and our political dumpster fire becomes a complete abortion.
    The flipside is I would impose in term limits on Congress. Back in Lincoln's day people only served single terms as a matter of Duty and then rotated out.

It would also defang those that buy influence vis-a-vis longstanding members of Congress.
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    Standard Supporter

TL;DR: She's morally correct
  • Options
    pawz said:

pawz said:

The flipside is I would impose in term limits on Congress. Back in Lincoln's day people only served single terms as a matter of Duty and then rotated out.

It would also defang those that buy influence vis-a-vis longstanding members of Congress.
    I'm all for it but I think if you limit Congress and take the limit off the president you're really asking for an autocrat. Congress is designed to be the counterweight to the executive. I'm for taking power away from Congress but not for giving more to the Exec.
  • Options
    Founders Club

pawz said:

pawz said:

I'm all for it but I think if you limit Congress and take the limit off the president you're really asking for an autocrat. Congress is designed to be the counterweight to the executive. I'm for taking power away from Congress but not for giving more to the Exec.
    I think it would encourage principled decision-making on both fronts.
  • Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,584
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye said:

God she is dumb. And getting less attractive by the day.
    Being a democrat will do that to you. In 3 years shell look like Mexican hillary.

At least Kamala aged well.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,328
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    What if

Reagan was done after two terms. Probably before because of Alzheimer. But the GOP would have Weekend at Bernie's him as long as they could. Would have missed Bush 1. NOC

Bill Clinton ran and won in 2000 instead of W. Atta attacks and Bill gets a BJ and lobs some missiles at Africa and declares victory. No Iraq war. Saddam completes nukes and takes out Europe. NOC

Obama and Trump meet in 2016 in the greatest Super Bowl ever. Trump upsets Obama and Obama declares martial law and moves to Kenya. NOC (Obama would have won allegedly)

Bottom line, No one cares. And no one thought what they did in 1944 would effect FDR. At all