Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Most profitable teams bombshell! #19 will shock you!

1235»

Comments

• Doog_de_JourDoog_de_Jour Member Posts: 7,955
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

Houhusky said:

Anyone else notice that the back of the jumbo tron, facing the lake, has Alaska Airlines on it? Not a W. Grateful for the dough Alaska Air, but Alaska Air isn't really synonymous with UW football. Oregon can get away with a big swoosh, because they are, but they are still putting a big fucking 0 on the outside of the stadium. Little shit that bothers me.

Sorry, everyone knows simple little hometown/local things can't be taken care of until after UW wins a national championship.

Im going to need to see a national championship or atleast a Rose Bowl win before I allow criticism of something as mind blowingly stupid as the Zone.

until then please keep all discussions on branding or marketing, including discussions on the new official school color (black) or how empty the stadium is against EWU to the branding/marketing board.

Thanks
    Whoosh as always.

Fuck around with the little things all you want. It doesnt matter that much in the big scheme of things. Having a W replace Alaska airlines isnt going to bring fans, nor will using black less.

In college football, your brand is mostly judged on whether or not you fucking win.
    PGOS, I actually partially agree with you that winning helps. I mentioned the Seahawks up thread, and not many outside of local diehards gave two shits about them until Mike Holmgren‘s team went on their Super Bowl run...but a lot of the smaller details in terms of branding/marketing had already been put in place, like the 12th Man “Fan” jerseys, etc. These were things the Carroll-era built upon.

However, you can be a premier sports brand without winning...how long did the Chicago Cubs or Boston Red Soxs go without championships? Norte Dame hasn’t won a title since 1988.

I guess what I’m trying to say in my convoluted way is winning in sports strengthens a brand, but isn’t always necessary to build one.
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,800
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    Add this to the list of things that I need to rant about ...

1) Anybody that knows anything knows UW is a heavyweight in terms of spending and resources ... we also blow everybody in the conference away on revenues

2) The brand argument is important but a tad overplayed IMO ... they need to get better ... but there’s a lot of bitching just to bitch ... there have been signs of progress though that should be acknowledged

3) Branding comes in a number of forms and they all have to support one another ... I can market the shit out of a product and get you interested in it but if the product is terrible you aren’t buying it again
  • huskyhooliganhuskyhooligan Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,041
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I think the point a lot of us are making is that a little things, when compounded, can add up to big things. Listened to an interview with an economist at George Washington University, who basically said that anyone who thought 2% GDP growth was good, was basically dumb as fuck, and that even just 1% more, at 3% compounded, was basically the difference between Mexico (2%) vs the US (3%) (ie throwing your shit covered TP in the trash next to the toilet vs. flushing it down). The little shit adds up. My prior point about the W. A good example of this was the Rainier Beer R off of I-5. People were clamoring for that shit to come back. Did it make the beer any better? No. But did it help in selling a beer, enhancing the brand, etc., fucking right it did. Even if that brand is local, its important. Last I checked it's local people going to games. They fill seats, winning happens (if it doesn't fire everyone), etc.
  • PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 24,465
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    edited March 2019

Houhusky said:

Anyone else notice that the back of the jumbo tron, facing the lake, has Alaska Airlines on it? Not a W. Grateful for the dough Alaska Air, but Alaska Air isn't really synonymous with UW football. Oregon can get away with a big swoosh, because they are, but they are still putting a big fucking 0 on the outside of the stadium. Little shit that bothers me.

Sorry, everyone knows simple little hometown/local things can't be taken care of until after UW wins a national championship.

Im going to need to see a national championship or atleast a Rose Bowl win before I allow criticism of something as mind blowingly stupid as the Zone.

until then please keep all discussions on branding or marketing, including discussions on the new official school color (black) or how empty the stadium is against EWU to the branding/marketing board.

Thanks
    Whoosh as always.

Fuck around with the little things all you want. It doesnt matter that much in the big scheme of things. Having a W replace Alaska airlines isnt going to bring fans, nor will using black less.

In college football, your brand is mostly judged on whether or not you fucking win.
    PGOS, I actually partially agree with you that winning helps. I mentioned the Seahawks up thread, and not many outside of local diehards gave two shits about them until Mike Holmgren‘s team went on their Super Bowl run...but a lot of the smaller details in terms of branding/marketing had already been put in place, like the 12th Man “Fan” jerseys, etc. These were things the Carroll-era built upon.

However, you can be a premier sports brand without winning...how long did the Chicago Cubs or Boston Red Soxs go without championships? Norte Dame hasn’t won a title since 1988.

I guess what I’m trying to say in my convoluted way is winning in sports strengthens a brand, but isn’t always necessary to build one.

Youre 100% correct there are teams out there that have a strong brand and a cult following with limited success.

These tend to be pro teams. College is too diluted between 100+ schools and is hyper regional. Going to Cubs and Redsox games is a religious experience for boring baseball fans.

I said it before, and Tequilla stated it well...you can market the hell out of something, but if the product doesnt deliver it's not going to matter in the long run.

UW is trending up in recruiting and branding, period. It is not going to be perfect overnight, things can be improved on here or there. Eventually, you need to win on the big stage to level up recruiting, fan interest, enthusiasm, etc.

Oregon has been on the big stage and won some big games. They had an innovative offense that drew eyeballs. They have Nike backing.

Washington needs to keep sending players to the league, win a big OOC game for once, market the shit out of the defense (or a Hesiman candidate like an Eason), and most importantly, continue to win.

Do you think 5 star Cali recruits care about the fucking Alaska Airlines logo? Maybe, but they care a lot more about how UW brand is percieved nationally.

A lot of you are confusing national brand perception with how UW is perceived by the hardcore UW fanbase that talks about this stuff online in their spare time. Fuck, the bigtime recruits probably like the black alts.
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,792
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

At @GrundleStiltzkin well loan UW your SL 1200. Whickey whickey type deck better for this kind of marketing.

1200s FTW. I still have the one I bought in '88 at Magnolia HiFi for like $800 or some shit.
    RIP Magnolia HiFi. They got absorbed into a corner of Best Buy.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 100,680
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Houhusky said:

Thanks
    Whoosh as always.

Youre 100% correct there are teams out there that have a strong brand and a cult following with limited success.

These tend to be pro teams. College is too diluted between 100+ schools and is hyper regional. Going to Cubs and Redsox games is a religious experience for boring baseball fans.

I said it before, and Tequilla stated it well...you can market the hell out of something, but if the product doesnt deliver it's not going to matter in the long run.

UW is trending up in recruiting and branding, period. It is not going to be perfect overnight, things can be improved on here or there. Eventually, you need to win on the big stage to level up recruiting, fan interest, enthusiasm, etc.

Oregon has been on the big stage and won some big games. They had an innovative offense that drew eyeballs. They have Nike backing.

Washington needs to keep sending players to the league, win a big OOC game for once, market the shit out of the defense (or a Hesiman candidate like an Eason), and most importantly, continue to win.

Do you think 5 star Cali recruits care about the fucking Alaska Airlines logo? Maybe, but they care a lot more about how UW brand is percieved nationally.

A lot of you are confusing national brand perception with how UW is perceived by the hardcore UW fanbase that talks about this stuff online in their spare time. Fuck, the bigtime recruits probably like the black alts.
    Watching you poast on branding is like watching a 3 legged dog do calculus.
    And the dog is named Lucky
  • BasemanBaseman Member Posts: 12,365
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker

Houhusky said:

Thanks
    Whoosh as always.

Link?
    Founders Club
    J

Houhusky said:

Thanks
    Whoosh as always.

You haven't done anything to refute what I'm saying, and you know I'm right. Stick to analyzing 16 year olds.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 100,680
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Founders Club

Poor thing, some flamer in a swerving Maserati swiped its leg off
  • PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,649

Houhusky said:

Thanks
    Whoosh as always.

The Throbber resents being called a dog.

It's a cross I bear.

#hung
  • godawgstgodawgst Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,405
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    "You don't have to win multiple Rose Bowl or championship to get small things right and have a decent brand. They cant even do a simple thing like make sure the stadium is filled with purple and gold before a game starts or get people back into the stadium before the start of the second half."

Do you have ideas on how to make this happen?
  • 1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,280
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

J

Houhusky said:

Thanks
    Whoosh as always.

You haven't done anything to refute what I'm saying, and you know I'm right. Stick to analyzing 16 year olds.

• dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,701
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam

J

Houhusky said:

Thanks
    Whoosh as always.

16 yr olds, anal... ok!!