Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

California just quit high speed rail debacle

Comments

• Options
    BearsWiinBearsWiin Member Posts: 4,969
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    pawz said:

BearsWiin said:

2001400ex said:

BearsWiin said:

It never ceases to amaze me how other industrialized countries kick our ass in terms of transportation (mass or otherwise). If fucking Uzbekistan can figure out high speed rail, so should we.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/quora/2017/03/11/why-doesnt-the-united-states-have-high-speed-bullet-trains-like-europe-and-asia/#329a89fbc080

He omits an extremely important part of his third bullet point on Property Rights: local veto power. It isn't just property issues and eminent domain, but also every local in this country with an axe to grind can sue to hold up development of just about any large public works project. As for the high-speed rail, just the issue of which route from the Central Valley to the Bay Area, through San Jose or along the 580 corridor, came up for argument. Then, some folks in San Jose didn't like the artistic drawings of fucking overpass bridges going through the South Bay, so they sued to force the rail authority to design an overpass bridge that they liked instead. Makes it exceedingly difficult to build anything big anymore - the process gets drawn out and goes way overbudget because it's so easy to pursue legal action.

Did a bit of work in grad school on why some countries like France and Japan have robust nuclear facilities and infrastructure and the US doesn't, and the big reason was local veto power and nimbyism is much stronger in the US than elsewhere; in other countries, the govt. makes a decision and says we're building it, you can complain all you want, but in five years you'll wonder how you ever lived without it.
    And here I thought we had an overbearing intrusive Government.
    Shut the fuck up already
    This. POTD
    You fuck off. Take your bullshit pissing contest someplace where somebody gives a shit. Not here.
  • Options
    pawzpawz Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 18,975
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    BearsWiin said:

pawz said:

BearsWiin said:

2001400ex said:

BearsWiin said:

It never ceases to amaze me how other industrialized countries kick our ass in terms of transportation (mass or otherwise). If fucking Uzbekistan can figure out high speed rail, so should we.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/quora/2017/03/11/why-doesnt-the-united-states-have-high-speed-bullet-trains-like-europe-and-asia/#329a89fbc080

He omits an extremely important part of his third bullet point on Property Rights: local veto power. It isn't just property issues and eminent domain, but also every local in this country with an axe to grind can sue to hold up development of just about any large public works project. As for the high-speed rail, just the issue of which route from the Central Valley to the Bay Area, through San Jose or along the 580 corridor, came up for argument. Then, some folks in San Jose didn't like the artistic drawings of fucking overpass bridges going through the South Bay, so they sued to force the rail authority to design an overpass bridge that they liked instead. Makes it exceedingly difficult to build anything big anymore - the process gets drawn out and goes way overbudget because it's so easy to pursue legal action.

Did a bit of work in grad school on why some countries like France and Japan have robust nuclear facilities and infrastructure and the US doesn't, and the big reason was local veto power and nimbyism is much stronger in the US than elsewhere; in other countries, the govt. makes a decision and says we're building it, you can complain all you want, but in five years you'll wonder how you ever lived without it.
    Shut the fuck up already
    This. POTD
    You fuck off. Take your bullshit pissing contest someplace where somebody gives a shit. Not here.
    Huh? Long overdue for victory coitus, I see.

I'll try not to commend your efforts again. Even when the subject matter is of interest (land use & development).

• Options
    WestlinnDuckWestlinnDuck Member Posts: 14,291
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Standard Supporter
    So, I need to to go to Seattle and Bellevue for a couple of meetings. I can drive there. Or I can drive to a transit station and take Tri-Met to the train station. Take me an hour. Then wait 20 minutes for the train. Assume a make believe fast train to Seattle and I'm there in a couple of hours. Mass transit to my Seattle meeting. Then mass transit to Bellevue. Then mass transit back to Seattle. Then train back to Portland. Then mass transit back to home. Net result. Hours of wasted time and more money. If trains were the future, they would be the future. They aren't. It is called capitalism. Scratch a leftist find a fascist.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 102,358
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    BearsWiin said:

pawz said:

BearsWiin said:

2001400ex said:

BearsWiin said:

Shut the fuck up already
    This. POTD
    Not here?
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Best use for trains is turning the rails into trails
  • Options
    Doog_de_JourDoog_de_Jour Member Posts: 7,958
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

We actually have a great transportation system for the sheer size and population of this country

We are letting it rust in the front yard at the moment but still

Rebuilding infrastructure is another thing we've talked about for decades

And done very little of
    Bingo. Until Star Trek transporter technology becomes a reality, being able to move people and goods safely and efficiently via our current network of roads, rail, air is extremely important, and yet we keep putting off some key projects or neglect to come up with Plan Bs, Cs, and Ds.

I naively thought that given Trump’s background in construction he would’ve been more eager than most to tackle our infrastructure issues.
  • Options
    SledogSledog Member Posts: 31,498
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    I hear they are going to continue the train into the central valley. It's vital to the agricultural community. The same community whom they cut large amounts of water off to. Because it's vital to their business. Gee I've never seen a high speed freight train. Can't wait. No one wants to go to the fucking central valley.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

We actually have a great transportation system for the sheer size and population of this country

We are letting it rust in the front yard at the moment but still

Rebuilding infrastructure is another thing we've talked about for decades

And done very little of
    Bingo. Until Star Trek transporter technology becomes a reality, being able to move people and goods safely and efficiently via our current network of roads, rail, air is extremely important, and yet we keep putting off some key projects or neglect to come up with Plan Bs, Cs, and Ds.

I naively thought that given Trump’s background in construction he would’ve been more eager than most to tackle our infrastructure issues.
    Maybe if Trump came out against it Congress would rush to act on infrastructure
  • Options
    TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,780

So, I need to to go to Seattle and Bellevue for a couple of meetings. I can drive there. Or I can drive to a transit station and take Tri-Met to the train station. Take me an hour. Then wait 20 minutes for the train. Assume a make believe fast train to Seattle and I'm there in a couple of hours. Mass transit to my Seattle meeting. Then mass transit to Bellevue. Then mass transit back to Seattle. Then train back to Portland. Then mass transit back to home. Net result. Hours of wasted time and more money. If trains were the future, they would be the future. They aren't. It is called capitalism. Scratch a leftist find a fascist.

Skype & Video Conferencing software moves faster than trains or planes. If people weren't so retarded, in general, they'd be saving millions of hours per year of wasted commuting time.
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,969
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Bitchfork is correct. High speed rail is good for short distances. Remember a lot of the cuntries who have it are only 300 or 400 miles long. Vancouver-Seattle-Po(r)tland, DC-NY-Boston megalopolis, and something in the Midwest maybe. LA to San Fransicko is pushing it in terms of efficiency. Tucson to Phoenix might work. I hate I-10 traffic and it's only two lanes from Pinal County until Chandler. Any accident causes low i.q. rubberneckers to stare.
  • Options
    TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,780

Another business trend by the way along with robots is the remote office work from home really catching on. I can sit here in my bathrobe lobbing insults on HH instead of sitting in a car to get to an office where I can lob insults on HH

Its the most efficient fix to transportation issues.

Zactly THIS. The Future is Bright for those who can see it.
  • Options
    sarktasticsarktastic Member Posts: 9,208
    5 Awesomes Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited February 2019
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FpaYoF12Rnk

First flight of Boeing’s new PAV - Passenger Air Vehicle 30 sec. vid

Boeing’s fleet is currently a 2 seat, 4 seat, 50 seat, 100 seat vertical takeoff/landing. Can land in a Target parking lot.
  • Options
    sarktasticsarktastic Member Posts: 9,208
    5 Awesomes Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited February 2019
    choo choo

Our current choo choo folly Virtue signaling exercise will build out 30 years... from now.
  • Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,670
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker

Bitchfork is correct. High speed rail is good for short distances. Remember a lot of the cuntries who have it are only 300 or 400 miles long. Vancouver-Seattle-Po(r)tland, DC-NY-Boston megalopolis, and something in the Midwest maybe. LA to San Fransicko is pushing it in terms of efficiency. Tucson to Phoenix might work. I hate I-10 traffic and it's only two lanes from Pinal County until Chandler. Any accident causes low i.q. rubberneckers to stare.

Anything less than say 2 hour flight is pretty good

Trains are pretty sweet. Show up like 10 mins early, get on, hit the bar cart.
  • Options
    Postal91Postal91 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,731
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Wasn't Pelosi's husband, or one of those witches, get this billion dollar contract for the development? Hilarious that the California government felt they could build something. Wonder where all those funds go now... Or even if they really felt they'd be successful and simply pulled a huge money grab.
  • Options
    CirrhosisDawgCirrhosisDawg Member Posts: 6,390
    First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Postal91 said:

Wasn't Pelosi's husband, or one of those witches, get this billion dollar contract for the development? Hilarious that the California government felt they could build something. Wonder where all those funds go now... Or even if they really felt they'd be successful and simply pulled a huge money grab.

Jfc.
  • Options
    SledogSledog Member Posts: 31,498
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes

choo choo

Our current choo choo folly Virtue signaling exercise will build out 30 years... from now.

The first high speed rail was completed in 1964. There is nothing like 55 year old tech 85 years later!
  • Options
    CirrhosisDawgCirrhosisDawg Member Posts: 6,390
    First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Sledog said:

choo choo

The first high speed rail was completed in 1964. There is nothing like 55 year old tech 85 years later!
    Antiquated and obsolete as you. With the same useful life. Ts&Ps bobsled.