Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Ethan Garbers, 2020 4* QB, Newport Beach (Corona Del Mar), CA (Committed)

Comments

• Options
    Neighbor2972Neighbor2972 Member Posts: 4,294
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes

Woof said:

Fuck this line of thinking forever.

Taking a fucking QB to get a TE should be grounds for throwing Paopao off a bridge.

While we're bringing up stupid recruiting takes from the BDTW guys, this one is on my Mount Rushmore.
    One of the underrated pluses of having @sonics1993 post here is that he debunked some of the ckmpletely made up bullshit that was accepted on here as truth
    The Garbers-Redman thing was pretty clearly never true, I think they just said that to cope with Petersen's fetish for low ceiling quarterbacks
  • Options
    jhfstyle24jhfstyle24 Member Posts: 3,255
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

Went back and watched through his HUDL. He's certainly an accurate guy, but his arm is not really at the level you want to see and that's why he's not a top-flight prospect. He can move around a little bit, but he's not going to be a great scrambler (not sure he'll even be Browning level).

He does have some touch on some deeper throws, but some of his tougher throws arrive with just a little bit less zip than you want to see. The one of these that stood out to me was a TE post to the right sideline that was caught, but just did not have the arm strength you want to see on the throw. It felt like it took forever to get there, like one of those Brownsocks out route throws.

I did notice, however, that his arm might be a little stronger than it looks on film. His delivery doesn't seem to be maximizing his arm. If you watch the first throw on his film, he doesn't step into it that much or really wind up at all. It looks like he doesn't think about it. He just lets loose a 40 yard bomb that's perfectly delivered with touch to a guy just breaking over the top.

The second throw, while located well, shows off a really funky delivery, with a lowered slot. Some of it is to avoid the rusher, but it noticeably takes a lot off his ball. The trend continues throughout the video - when he doesn't think about it and just lets one go, it's usually a really good throw. When he tries to aim it on a tight throw, he changes his delivery, almost like a pitcher in baseball. He throws some of these like it's a 3-0 count and a bad pitch loses the game. Every time he just lets it go, it's a good throw.

The question is, if he can learn to quit thinking and just let it rip, can he be better than the other guys on the board? I don't think he'll ever touch the top tier QB's like DJ, but he certainly doesn't suck. I think this is the type of guy who, under Pete, could develop into being a solid player, but for most other teams, he'd be just OK. And I think the issue is that we don't want just OK when we have guys like Yankoff, Sirmon, Morris, Eason, and Huard in the wings.

I think that's why there's a lot of crap about this on this bored. We all know we should be getting the best players at every position EVERY cycle, and so getting a guy whose ceiling is just solid is NOT what we're going for. I'm going to wait to really pass judgement until we see his senior film. If he shows up with improved arm strength and mechanics, he's already better than Brownsocks was. If not, then there will be more questions about why we took a spring commitment.

TL;DR
    LIPO

Fuck off losers
  • Options
    bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 14,911
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    Sounds like he'll be getting a pretty huge bump from 247 (who still has him as a 3* in the 400s or 500s.)

Biggins says Garbers is at the level that he will compete for starter as a true freshman
  • Options
    DawgWagonDanDawgWagonDan Member Posts: 789
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    edited January 2020

Sounds like he'll be getting a pretty huge bump from 247 (who still has him as a 3* in the 400s or 500s.)

Biggins says Garbers is at the level that he will compete for starter as a true freshman

Big if true...

If Gerber wins job would Sirmon portal part deux? Morris? With Sammy on way in the next season do they both pull a Haneous?

Imagine Dick Newton being the back up QB...in the wild dick...

Would Cam or Calvert be emergency?
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,507
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited January 2020

Big if true...

If Gerber wins job would Sirmon portal part deux? Morris? With Sammy on way in the next season do they both pull a Haneous?

Let's be honest: even if he's mid to lower tier Pac 12 Garbers is a starter. His brother has been pretty clutch in a shit offense. Morris is a backup type. Just make Garbers the starter and lose Sirmon. He looks like overall he's not going to be the guy so why even stress about it.

The real failure here is not securing a solid transfer to spell the defense.
  • Options
    MeekMeek Member Posts: 7,031
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    i think the plan is to ensure Sirmon can do a 3 step drop and then just launch balls that the WRs can battle for...for this (alleged) vertical attack.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    haie said:

Big if true...

Let's be honest: even if he's mid to lower tier Pac 12 Garbers is a starter. His brother has been pretty clutch in a shit offense. Morris is a backup type. Just make Garbers the starter and lose Sirmon. He looks like overall he's not going to be the guy so why even stress about it.

The real failure here is not securing a solid transfer to spell the defense.
    I actually think Cal had a good chance to win the north if Garbers played the entire year. They were up on Oregon in Eugene with Modster but he was so inept at QB, they eventually couldn't hold them anymore.
  • Options
    CanadawgCanadawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,056
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    In this era of football there is almost no excuse to have a QB that cant run or at least scramble. He looks like he has that ability at least.
  • Options
    DawgsRusDawgsRus Member Posts: 40
    I think Garbers has the winning mentality. Being a winner is a big part of being a QB. Eason did not have that but I think garnet is a winner from what I see.
  • Options
    KrunkJuiceKrunkJuice Member Posts: 2,046

Canadawg said:

In this era of football there is almost no excuse to have a QB that cant run or at least scramble. He looks like he has that ability at least.

This. I fucking hate pocket passers. Every good QB nowadays can run. You’re fucked if they can’t at least move around and pick up a couple first downs by buying time or running it.
    Agree. I will take Murray, Watson and Jackson over the Brady, Brees, Rodgers and Payton Mannings any day.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter

Canadawg said:

This. I fucking hate pocket passers. Every good QB nowadays can run. You’re fucked if they can’t at least move around and pick up a couple first downs by buying time or running it.
    Agree. I will take Murray, Watson and Jackson over the Brady, Brees, Rodgers and Payton Mannings any day.
    I know you're cherry picking and being Sarkastic but in college...yes
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

Canadawg said:

Pat Mahomes is the best QB in the NFL and can run. Lamar Jackson is going to win MVP and is amazing as a runner. You’re fooling yourself if you think it doesn’t help especially in college when the QB’s aren’t extremely well versed in moving in the pocket and don’t get a ton of practice time.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Canadawg said:

I would take all three of those guys as college players over Brady, Brees, and Manning. Rodgers can move so that’s a bad example. Cam Newton and Vince Young were also way better than those guys in college.

Burrow could run well enough. Same with Tua. Neither were threats to break huge runs, but they could move.

There is plenty of evidence that the best offenses have a QB that can run. It’s been trending that way for awhile. Huard isn’t going to run for a ton of yards but he can move around, as can Garbers. It’s important.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Meek said:

i think the plan is to ensure Sirmon can do a 3 step drop and then just launch balls that the WRs can battle for...for this (alleged) vertical attack.

The common misconception is that a great arm is needed for deep balls. A lot of times underthrowing deep balls is better because of increased chance at PI and giving the WR an actual chance to go up and get it.
  • Options
    dannarcdannarc Member Posts: 2,269
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment

Canadawg said:

Murray, Watsun and Jackson O titles

Brady, Bread, and Manning 8 titles

Yeah, I'll take the guys with 0 all day.....lol Doog logic at its best