Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Favorite Historical Places You’ve Visited

Comments

• Options
    BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,333
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

My mom's family on her dad's side left Germany in the 1880's to come here because of the militarization of the recently remodeled empire

My uncle flew bombers over Germany in WW2

My first boss was a German Jew who had emigrated here and whose family had been taken by the Soviets. He talked about being bombed as a child

I asked if he had met my uncle ove

I've always wanted to visited the @RaceBannon birthplace National Historic Site.

NOC
  • Options
    BearsWiinBearsWiin Member Posts: 4,947
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

My mom's family on her dad's side left Germany in the 1880's to come here because of the militarization of the recently remodeled empire

My uncle flew bombers over Germany in WW2

My first boss was a German Jew who had emigrated here and whose family had been taken by the Soviets. He talked about being bombed as a child

I asked if he had met my uncle ove

My mother wouldn't let any cuckoo clocks in our house because when she was a child growing up in Vienna during the war, that was the sound the radio would use to warn people that a bombing raid was incoming and that everyone should get to a bomb shelter. My dad once bought her one when they were younger, thinking it would remind her of her homeland, and she pretty much had a panic attack and destroyed it.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,134
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I didn't realize that other quote was with my photo

It hadn't been vetted by the committee
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,846
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited January 2019

89ute said:

this reminds me, i slept under the world's largest coke sign...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coca-Cola_billboard
    I’ve crashed at a condo next to the Coke sign in the Cross. IFL Sydney.
    #metoo

You guys are fags.

There's more in Australia than coke signs.

Elle, the body, is mine @PurpleThrobber . You may be in the tall people society here, but you ain't tall enuff for a 6 footer like that.
    The Throbber is pretty fucking long tall.

I'll take the Kiwi Rachel Hunter instead. Fair enough?

Deal! Speaking of Rod Stewart (hi @RaceBannon ) did you know that Neil Young is dating Daryl Hannah. Still WOOD.

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

You always have to wood celebrity.

Hell, the Throbber wood Neil Young even though that is disgusting as fuck. Celebrity, you know. Makes for a good drunk @swaye story

The Throbber likes how John Mellancamp is banging Meg Ryan, too.

The Throbber should have learned how to play guitar.

I learned how to play the guitar...just not very well.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,134
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Neil has always gone for the starlets

• Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,740
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    edited January 2019
    The Collosseum and Forum in Rome. Nothing in Florence or anywhere else in Tuscany touched it for me. To stand in the very spot from which one guy ruled an area as large as the Roman empire once stretched, at a time when people were still wiping their asses with their hands, was, to say the least, unique and impressive. Assissi was cool ... very cool, but St. Francis doesn't compete well with Julius Ceasar in my book. Still, I recommend the hell out of Assissi. Worth the trip, as it's a bit out of the way.

Southern Italy is coming up next and Paestum looms large as a great experience ... to see truly intact Greek temples. Fuck. And of course Athens. While the Parthenon and Acropolis are not in great shape relative to other Greek ruins (like southern Italy and southern France), that's where it began and should also be pretty fucking killer.

The grand daddy of them all is later ... Egypt. Gotta time that one right for obvious reasons. I'm still a little shaky about going right now.
  • Options

The old ASUW shellhouse on the shores of the Montlake Cut.

That's a good one. Lots of history there Yella. Don't have to tell you.
  • Options

The Throbber did visit the 9-11 site about two years hence....that was a terk jerker, for sure. Too soon. Too fucking soon.

I was there. Didn't cry. Too tuff I guess. But it was somber. Still, didn't cry. I want to be clear about that.
  • Options

Graceland, Memphis, TN is cheesy Americana but totally awesome. Elvis’s gun collection alone is worth it.

Shout out to our dear departed brother @dnc .

Jimminy Yella. Come on.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Graceland, Memphis, TN is cheesy Americana but totally awesome. Elvis’s gun collection alone is worth it.

Shout out to our dear departed brother @dnc .

Jimminy Yella. Come on.
    Listen @creepycoug i know you only listen to Tito Puente and other mambo music, but Elvis is a god.
  • Options
    edited February 2019

The Collosseum and Forum in Rome. Nothing in Florence or anywhere else in Tuscany touched it for me. To stand in the very spot from which one guy ruled an area as large as the Roman empire once stretched, at a time when people were still wiping their asses with their hands, was, to say the least, unique and impressive. Assissi was cool ... very cool, but St. Francis doesn't compete well with Julius Ceasar in my book. Still, I recommend the hell out of Assissi. Worth the trip, as it's a bit out of the way.

Southern Italy is coming up next and Paestum looms large as a great experience ... to see truly intact Greek temples. Fuck. And of course Athens. While the Parthenon and Acropolis are not in great shape relative to other Greek ruins (like southern Italy and southern France), that's where it began and should also be pretty fucking killer.

The grand daddy of them all is later ... Egypt. Gotta time that one right for obvious reasons. I'm still a little shaky about going right now.

Don't climb the Pyramids. I got about 50 feet up one and stumbled on the sign in four languages telling me to get the hell off

I invite you to read Gore Vidal's Creation before scheduling your trip to Greece
  • Options
    BearsWiin said:

Don't climb the Pyramids. I got about 50 feet up one and stumbled on the sign in four languages telling me to get the hell off

I invite you to read Gore Vidal's Creation before scheduling your trip to Greece
    Good tip. I shall.

You actually tried to climb one? I guess that was a thing once right? Not surprised someone thought to put a stop to it. It's made of sandstone for Peterman's sake.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    BearsWiin said:

Does it have as much pegging as Myra Breckinridge ?
  • Options
    edited February 2019

BearsWiin said:

Good tip. I shall.

You actually tried to climb one? I guess that was a thing once right? Not surprised someone thought to put a stop to it. It's made of sandstone for Peterman's sake.

For some reason I thought it was four languages. Probably confusing it with some other sign telling me not to do whatever the fuck I was doing

• Options
    whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,262
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Standard Supporter

Cairo is cheap as fuck right now. For obvious reasons. In September stayed at the Ritz for like $150 a night. Ubers super cheap.

I climbed like 3 blocks worth. It’s not easy (I’m not a climber) and while I’m sure it could be done they’re not in great shape.
  • Options
    LebamDawgLebamDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,531
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Stopped by this lovely place this AM

https://www.nps.gov/places/dismal-nitch.htm

my favorite name