Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Favorite Historical Places You’ve Visited

Comments

• Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,857
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    BearsWiin said:

BearsWiin said:

I chiseled a gloryhole in the Berlin Wall, does that count?

Yes
    Gloryhole too high

Not for The Throbber or @YellowSnow
  • Options
    BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,333
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    BearsWiin said:

BearsWiin said:

I chiseled a hole in the Berlin Wall, does that count?

bedridden postpartum Grandma but Red Cross nurses fought them off

Pics?
  • Options
    BearsWiinBearsWiin Member Posts: 4,947
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

BearsWiin said:

Standing inside the gas chamber at Dachau on a freezing day. You don't understand humanity until you do this. Not good... in order to really understand life, though, you have to do this! I'm not anti-semitic. It is just that it's the only way to get the man-inhumanity-to-man issue.

The mind boggling thing is that Dachau paled in comparison to the other German death factories further to the East.
    Mauthausen is pretty sobering, too
    Dachau and Mauthausen are notable for being amongst the first camps and the places where the Germans got their reads down. Something like 31,000 were killed and Dachau and 120,000 to 300,000 at Mauthausen. These figures by themselves are horrific. But the final solution really got going at Auschwitz (1,000,000 killed) and Treblinka (900,000 killed).
    Where did you get these numbers? Personally, I would be suspicious since the authorities disclaim the chamber at Dachau was even used. It look used, big time. Anyway, I leave the arguments to the historians.
    Dachau was the first concentration camp, and IIRC it was operational through the 1930's so they had many years pre-Final Solution to kill gypsies, artists, Jews, gays, etc. there. Chambers were used later, when it was deemed cost-ineffective to shoot that many people. I don't recall seeing chambers at Dachau, but I remember the crematoria

Not specifically about Dachau, but Tim Snyder's Bloodlands gives a good recounting of the Nazis' efforts to figure out industrial-scale killing on the Eastern Front. We think of gas chambers and huge concentration camps, but a couple million people were just shot and buried in mass graves dug near their villages.
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,931
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    BearsWiin said:

BearsWiin said:

Standing inside the gas chamber at Dachau on a freezing day. You don't understand humanity until you do this. Not good... in order to really understand life, though, you have to do this! I'm not anti-semitic. It is just that it's the only way to get the man-inhumanity-to-man issue.

The mind boggling thing is that Dachau paled in comparison to the other German death factories further to the East.
    Dachau and Mauthausen are notable for being amongst the first camps and the places where the Germans got their reads down. Something like 31,000 were killed and Dachau and 120,000 to 300,000 at Mauthausen. These figures by themselves are horrific. But the final solution really got going at Auschwitz (1,000,000 killed) and Treblinka (900,000 killed).
    Where did you get these numbers? Personally, I would be suspicious since the authorities disclaim the chamber at Dachau was even used. It look used, big time. Anyway, I leave the arguments to the historians.
    Dachau was the first concentration camp, and IIRC it was operational through the 1930's so they had many years pre-Final Solution to kill gypsies, artists, Jews, gays, etc. there. Chambers were used later, when it was deemed cost-ineffective to shoot that many people. I don't recall seeing chambers at Dachau, but I remember the crematoria

Not specifically about Dachau, but Tim Snyder's Bloodlands gives a good recounting of the Nazis' efforts to figure out industrial-scale killing on the Eastern Front. We think of gas chambers and huge concentration camps, but a couple million people were just shot and buried in mass graves dug near their villages.
    Bloodlans was a great read. Picked that up about 6 years ago.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

BearsWiin said:

The definitive book on the subject.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloodlands
  • Options
    Ice_HolmvikIce_Holmvik Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,909
    Swaye's Wigwam
    LebamDawg said:

the memorable ones:

• Arlington National Cemetery and the tomb of the Unknown Soldier changing of the guard. (Mrs. Lebam called me a wuss for crying)
    • Punchbowl and USS Arizona in Hawaii
    • Fort McHenry + the National Museum with the Flag
    • Mt. Rushmore
    • Gettysburg and I have been to numerous Civil War reenactments
    • Monticello - Jefferson be my favorite
  • Options
    ApostleofGriefApostleofGrief Member Posts: 3,904
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    BearsWiin said:

BearsWiin said:

I remember the part of Dachau which looked like gutters in a field, and the signs indicated that they just mowed down prisoners here. This is dark shit, man!
  • Options
    backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,796
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    My favorite is the tower of london.

That place is dope as fuck.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

I ate lunch on the outside near the Traitors Gate. Didn’t go inside for the tour.
  • Options
    backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,796
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes

I ate lunch on the outside near the Traitors Gate. Didn’t go inside for the tour.
    It’s amazing
  • Options

Pyramids are the shit. Cairo is total shit. But the Pyramids are dope af.

So you say you like large, hard pointy things, @Dennis_DeYoung ?

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    whlinder said:

Most impactful for me without question is Auschwitz. Both Auschwitz 1 and Birkenau. It is really indescribable.

I've been to Antietam, Gettysburg, Bull Run, all the DC monuments including the Vietnam Wall, the Plaszow concentration camp in Krakow (which is a different type of sadness) and the last remaining piece of the wall of the Warsaw Ghetto but there is nothing that approaches the level of Auschwitz.

Nairobi National Park in Kenya was pretty impactful from the perspective of how incredible those creatures are in the wild and how we're in the process of destroying their planet and habitat.

The Great Pyramids of Giza. How the fuck did humans build those things with the technology at the time?

The Acropolis & Parthenon in Athens.

The Wieliczka Salt Mine in Krakow is amazing as well.

The Great Wall of China is pretty amazing but I wish I had more of a chance to explore it.

Tiannamen Square was interesting from the perspective of the tour "rebranding" the history there.

Krakow Wawel Castle and old square are awesome.
    Similarly Plaza Mayor in Madrid, along with the Prado.

I liked the Musee du Orsay in Paris more than the Louvre, but the Louvre is still pretty special.
    The Amsterdam Rijksmuseum is a great museum.

The Auckland Maritime Museum was a really cool display of the history of ocean travel and navigation.

I did the other big Paris sites when I was there, Arc, Eiffle Tower, etc, and while they're amazing they don't crack the top 5. Same with London; Buckingham palace and Big Ben are cool but not top 5.

An amazing museum and I take it for granted for being right down the street is the Udvar-Hazy center near Dulles Airport. The fucking Enola Gay is there! Plus a space shuttle, a Concorde, an SR-71 blackbird and Gemini space capsule.

Humans didn’t build the pyramids. Aliens did. HTH.

Agree on Orsay being better than Louvre.

I really need to see Gettysburg soon. Really want to look down from Little Round Top to see where Chamberlain ordered the bayonet charge and saved the Republic.
  • Options
    whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,281
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    Fuck me, I forgot Appamattox and Williamsburg/Jamestown. Clearly not my favorites since they didn’t register sooner (but also recency bias) but they’re kinda important.

whlinder said:

Most impactful for me without question is Auschwitz. Both Auschwitz 1 and Birkenau. It is really indescribable.

I've been to Antietam, Gettysburg, Bull Run, all the DC monuments including the Vietnam Wall, the Plaszow concentration camp in Krakow (which is a different type of sadness) and the last remaining piece of the wall of the Warsaw Ghetto but there is nothing that approaches the level of Auschwitz.

Nairobi National Park in Kenya was pretty impactful from the perspective of how incredible those creatures are in the wild and how we're in the process of destroying their planet and habitat.

The Great Pyramids of Giza. How the fuck did humans build those things with the technology at the time?

The Great Wall of China is pretty amazing but I wish I had more of a chance to explore it.

Tiannamen Square was interesting from the perspective of the tour "rebranding" the history there.

I liked the Musee du Orsay in Paris more than the Louvre, but the Louvre is still pretty special.

The Auckland Maritime Museum was a really cool display of the history of ocean travel and navigation.

I did the other big Paris sites when I was there, Arc, Eiffle Tower, etc, and while they're amazing they don't crack the top 5. Same with London; Buckingham palace and Big Ben are cool but not top 5.

An amazing museum and I take it for granted for being right down the street is the Udvar-Hazy center near Dulles Airport. The fucking Enola Gay is there! Plus a space shuttle, a Concorde, an SR-71 blackbird and Gemini space capsule.

I really need to see Gettysburg soon. Really want to look down from Little Round Top to see where Chamberlain ordered the bayonet charge and saved the Republic.
    It’s really bad how numb I am at this point to Gettysburg, Arlington Cemetary and the Vietnam Wall. Drove past Arlington and the Wall every Sunday on the way to church for my entire youth. Drive past Gettysburg 2-5 times per year for the past 15 years to visit in-laws. I guess it’s the same way you get used to seeing Rainier in the distance in Seattle, but it’s still a sight to behold if you’re an east coaster.
  • Options
    BearsWiinBearsWiin Member Posts: 4,947
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    whlinder said:

Fuck me, I forgot Appamattox and Williamsburg/Jamestown. Clearly not my favorites since they didn’t register sooner (but also recency bias) but they’re kinda important.

whlinder said:

It’s really bad how numb I am at this point to Gettysburg, Arlington Cemetary and the Vietnam Wall. Drove past Arlington and the Wall every Sunday on the way to church for my entire youth. Drive past Gettysburg 2-5 times per year for the past 15 years to visit in-laws. I guess it’s the same way you get used to seeing Rainier in the distance in Seattle, but it’s still a sight to behold if you’re an east coaster.
    Had an 10th floor apartment in a Crystal City high rise for three years where we could see the Pentagon and Arlington out the window, with the National Cathedral in the distance
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    El_K said:

I have had my photo taken behind the grassy knoll at Dealey Plaza in Dallas and done the book depository tour

I have been to the Alamo as well. It is about the size of a Taco Bell. I asked if I could see the basement as well

So true story ...

I’ma big JFK assassination guy and too much stuff doesn’t add up to me but whatever ...

I had an internship in downtown Dallas and would always drive by the Book Depository and the big X in the middle of the road. Everything about it screamed that it looked familiar to me but I couldn’t place it ...

Yeah ...
  • Options
    I actually forgot a big one. Not so much a historical landmark - but a historical must-see.

The World War II Museum in New Orleans is fucking incredible. We were there for about 5 hours and still didn't see everything.

Truly amazing place. In depth to the Nth degree.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,042
    Founders Club

If you drive through Yosemite to Sequoia you go over a 10000 foot pass

395 in California is a beautiful drive

95 in Oregon

The 101 from Crescent City to San Francisco

Once upon a time, @iDawg talked about riding his motorcycle up the 101 to SF