Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Favorite Historical Places You’ve Visited

Comments

• Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,931
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

My wife and I did London and Paris in 1989. We're driving by Buckingham Palace as I am asking "Where is Buckingham Palace?"

That's it? That's pretty much London in a nutshell. Paris was REAL man.

Both a GREAT cities in their own way. I think got more emotional in London, however, because this is the mother-ship. I'm 100% Victoria Country Club WASP you know.

I did see this outside of Paris back in 1994 which was phenomenal to check out...

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

The Plains of Abraham

Didn't you meet a pretty French Canuck when you were in Montreal?
  • Options
    ApostleofGriefApostleofGrief Member Posts: 3,904
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    edited January 2019
    Standing inside the gas chamber at Dachau on a freezing day. You don't understand humanity until you do this. Not good... in order to really understand life, though, you have to do this! I'm not anti-semitic. It is just that it's the only way to get the man-inhumanity-to-man issue.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Standing inside the gas chamber at Dachau on a freezing day. You don't understand humanity until you do this. Not good... in order to really understand life, though, you have to do this! I'm not anti-semitic. It is just that it's the only way to get the man-inhumanity-to-man issue.

The mind boggling thing is that Dachau paled in comparison to the other German death factories further to the East.
  • Options

The mind boggling thing is that Dachau paled in comparison to the other German death factories further to the East.
    When I went there, a sign claimed that the gas chamber wasn't used. Riiiiiiiight... I think it is hard to put even ball park figures on what went on, other than to say, a lot.
  • Options
    BearsWiinBearsWiin Member Posts: 4,947
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

Mauthausen is pretty sobering, too
  • Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,592
    BearsWiin said:

count me out then
  • Options
    HillsboroDuckHillsboroDuck Member Posts: 9,186
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker

LebamDawg said:

the memorable ones:

• Arlington National Cemetery and the tomb of the Unknown Soldier changing of the guard. (Mrs. Lebam called me a wuss for crying)
    • Punchbowl and USS Arizona in Hawaii
    • Fort McHenry + the National Museum with the Flag
    • Mt. Rushmore
    • Gettysburg and I have been to numerous Civil War sites
    • Monticello - Jefferson be my favorite
    Rushmore is pretty cool. Been there and Crazy Horse.

#MeToo. I thought Devil's Tower was more impressive than Rushmore.
    We couldn't swing Devil's Tower on either Black Hills trip so I've only seen it from a distance off I90. Definitely a place I'd like to visit. Similar experience with Capulin Volcano NM (though it was the highway not the interstate).

Have been to Sunset Crater and Wupatki NMs, both were pretty cool, especially Sunset.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,362
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

*the 90

What have they done to this boy from Olympia
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

*the 90

The 215 is mor your speed.
  • Options
    BearsWiinBearsWiin Member Posts: 4,947
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    I chiseled a hole in the Berlin Wall, does that count?
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    BearsWiin said:

I chiseled a gloryhole in the Berlin Wall, does that count?

Yes
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    BearsWiin said:

Dachau and Mauthausen are notable for being amongst the first camps and the places where the Germans got their reads down. Something like 31,000 were killed and Dachau and 120,000 to 300,000 at Mauthausen. These figures by themselves are horrific. But the final solution really got going at Auschwitz (1,000,000 killed) and Treblinka (900,000 killed).
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    BearsWiin said:

BearsWiin said:

I chiseled a hole in the Berlin Wall, does that count?

If Herr Gandpa BearsWinn had fought better there would be no wall.
    Grandpa wanted no part of the fighting. Got a discharge from the Wehrmacht after his stint in 1940 in occupied France for bleeding ulcers, then neighbor doctor in Vienna kept giving him medication to make him sick whenever he had to go back in for testing to see if he was fit for duty again. Since he was a 35-yo male in occupied Vienna in 1945, still amazed that he wasn't lined up against a wall and shot by the Sovs. Sov soldiers tried to rape bedridden postpartum Grandma but Red Cross nurses fought them off

Great Grandpa was the fighter. Had been an officer in Austro-Hungarian Army pre-WWI, discharged in 1913, brought back at the beginning of the war and put in charge of some sort of elite team, if I read his file correctly (it's faded and in gothic script). Fought in Bohemia and Carpathia against the Russians, then transferred to Italian front in 1917 after 9 months in hospital with typhus. Fourteen combat medals of valor in all, one of which was pinned to his breast by Emperor Karl I during an audience in 1918. Invading Sov soldiers looted the medals in 1945. Family petitioned the govt. in the 1980's to have them re-issued to the family, and for several years four of them hung on my living room wall until I gave them to his oldest surviving daughter (the aunt who was born just as the Sovs marched into Vienna in 1945).
    Amazing stuff here. I understand correctly, Grandpa Yella (Capt. US Army Infantry), ended his time in the European theater in Austria in 1945.
  • Options

BearsWiin said:

Dachau and Mauthausen are notable for being amongst the first camps and the places where the Germans got their reads down. Something like 31,000 were killed and Dachau and 120,000 to 300,000 at Mauthausen. These figures by themselves are horrific. But the final solution really got going at Auschwitz (1,000,000 killed) and Treblinka (900,000 killed).
    Where did you get these numbers? Personally, I would be suspicious since the authorities disclaim the chamber at Dachau was even used. It look used, big time. Anyway, I leave the arguments to the historians.