Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Favorite Historical Places You’ve Visited

Comments

• Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,907
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

El_K said:

I have had my photo taken behind the grassy knoll at Dealey Plaza in Dallas and done the book depository tour

I have been to the Alamo as well. It is about the size of a Taco Bell. I asked if I could see the basement as well

@Pitchfork51, true?

Alamo is definitely on my list...and yes, Pee Wee’s Big Adventure had a big part in that.
    Alamo is underwhelming, but I crouched where Steve McQueen crouched.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,907
    Founders Club
    The Plains of Abraham
  • Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,176
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    National Parks are my wheelhouse.

Grand Canyon was cool but I found it kinda sorta ever so mildly disappointing? Maybe I've just seen it too many times in pics/vids. Definitely amazing but I guess I expected a tiny bit more somehow?

Glacier is badass. Going to the Sun Highway is an adventure everyone needs to experience at some point.

Yellowstone stands alone, nothing like it. Grand Tetons (or Tittytons, as my little brother and I called it as kids) are the shit.

Not a NP but coming northeast bound out of Yellowstone there's a road called Beartooth Highway that is some spectacular mountain scenery and scary af switchbacks.

Olympic, Rainier are obviously legendary but I don't need to tell this bored about them. North Cascades is massively underrated though.

Rocky Mountain is very worth it. Great Smoky Mountains is really cool but you have to set aside your west coast mountain elitism to be able to appreciate it.

Arches is one of my favorites, really unique landscapes. It's the only one of the Utah parks I've been to yet though, I definitely need to see the rest.

Badlands is eery. Wind Cave is fun if you have time for a tour.

I've barely been to the edges of Theodore Roosevelt, Petrified Forest, Mesa Verde and Everglades. Really want to do the full Everglades sometime.

Gateway Arch is a NP now which is ridiculous but it's still cool to visit.

Never been to any of the California or Alaska NPs which is a blackeye for me, IMO.

US nature stuff

Sequoia, John Muir(also see Redwoods), & Yosemite are world beaters. The Olympics can come too. Yellowstone I love but there's less wow factor imo. Maybe that's because my family owns lands in the Wyoming Rockies and I grew up running around there.

I reserve my judgment of the Grand Canyon as I've only ever gotten to visit the lookouts. Still waiting on hitting the lotto for a permit to white water raft it. I have rafted the Snake River in Hell's Canyon which is technically bigger than the Grand Canyon. One of my favorite rafting rivers of all tim and it's amazing to be able to just go and do it without any restrictions.

Arches and the surrounding areas are tits if you are a JEEP fanboy. Hint hint @Swaye

The petrified forest was kind of meh. The painted desert was cool to drive through once. Meteor Crater was actually probably the most impactful.

The Black Rock Dessert anytim there isn't burning man is fucking amazing. Total fucking moonscape and nothing but the sound of the wind and dust blowing. You can drive 100+ on the open playa for hours and not hit a god damn thing. Surreal.

Joshua tree also seems like it would be a good place to do a lot of peyote.

You pretty much can't throw a rock and hit something amazing and beautiful in Hawaii. Too many people spend all of their tim at the Beaches. The volcanoes, waterfalls, and forests aren't appreciated enough.

• Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,134
    Swaye's Wigwam
    If you drive through Yosemite to Sequoia you go over a 10000 foot pass

395 in California is a beautiful drive

95 in Oregon

The 101 from Crescent City to San Francisco
  • Options
    HillsboroDuckHillsboroDuck Member Posts: 9,186
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Arkansas through the Royal Gorge and the 5s on the Ocoee are the best rivers I’ve rafted. Did the Snoqualmie (west of the falls) in September once with top dad and big brother when it was at its lowest and that was completely miserable. We hit every rock in the damn river bed.

Really need to raft West Virginia. Grand Canyon from the river would be a dream come true.
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,846
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

That’s near the top for me. There’s a few other battlefields in Montana and Wyoming that we visited but I can’t rememer names now so there’s that.

Had a few historical walks around Philadelphia that were awesome. Ellis Island was more impactful than I had expected. The Alamo.

Pearl Harbor and the Arizona Memorial is unforgettable.

Close to home, Fort Warden and Fort Casey.

Never been to the Arizona Memorial but have been on BB 63 and the view from it looking at the Arizona is amazing. IFL love Battleships. They were the coolest capital ships we? ever built. No offense to @Swaye .

• Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,846
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I used to Mt Bike a ton on the Mormon trail over the Wasatch Mts in Utah (hi @89ute ). This was the Donner Party got stuck cutting a trail over the mts which led to them getting to the Sierras too late.

It was August 20 by the time that they reached a point in the mountains where they could look down and see the Great Salt Lake. It took almost another two weeks to travel out of the Wasatch Mountains. The men began to argue, and doubts were expressed about the wisdom of those who had chosen this route, in particular James Reed. Food and supplies began to run out for some of the less affluent families. Stanton and Pike had ridden out with Reed but had become lost on their way back; by the time that the party found them, they were a day away from eating their horses.[43]

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

I used to Mt Bike a ton on the Mormon trail over the Wasatch Mts in Utah (hi @89ute ). This was the Donner Party got stuck cutting a trail over the mts which led to them getting to the Sierras too late.

It was August 20 by the time that they reached a point in the mountains where they could look down and see the Great Salt Lake. It took almost another two weeks to travel out of the Wasatch Mountains. The men began to argue, and doubts were expressed about the wisdom of those who had chosen this route, in particular James Reed. Food and supplies began to run out for some of the less affluent families. Stanton and Pike had ridden out with Reed but had become lost on their way back; by the time that the party found them, they were a day away from eating their horses.[43]

My wife and I took photos in front of the Donner Pass sign on the 80

She's as bad as I am
  • Options
    HillsboroDuckHillsboroDuck Member Posts: 9,186
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    LebamDawg said:

the memorable ones:

• Arlington National Cemetery and the tomb of the Unknown Soldier changing of the guard. (Mrs. Lebam called me a wuss for crying)
    • Punchbowl and USS Arizona in Hawaii
    • Fort McHenry + the National Museum with the Flag
    • Mt. Rushmore
    • Gettysburg and I have been to numerous Civil War sites
    • Monticello - Jefferson be my favorite
    Rushmore is pretty cool. Been there and Crazy Horse.

• Options
    89ute89ute Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,453
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

I made the pilgrimage to see this in London last year...

Couldn't you wait for that guy to finish his piss?
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    My wife and I did London and Paris in 1989. We're driving by Buckingham Palace as I am asking "Where is Buckingham Palace?"

That's it? That's pretty much London in a nutshell. Paris was REAL man.