Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Anti vaxxers among top threats to global health

Comments

• Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,586
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker

I’m always amused by people who rail on about antivaxers but when you ask them if they get flu shots they spout a bunch af anecdotal shit and ignore the fact that the flu is far more deadly than most any of the others we are taking about.

I’m amused by that.

Are we putting people who don't get flu shots in with anti vaxxers?

Ive never had one I don't think. I was under the impression they aren't all that great or necessary. Or maybe I just never cared because I haven't had the flu since like 8 years old.
  • Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited January 2019

I’m always amused by people who rail on about antivaxers but when you ask them if they get flu shots they spout a bunch af anecdotal shit and ignore the fact that the flu is far more deadly than most any of the others we are taking about.

I’m amused by that.

Ive never had one I don't think. I was under the impression they aren't all that great or necessary. Or maybe I just never cared because I haven't had the flu since like 8 years old.
    Yes. Flu shots are a vaccine. The flu is more serious than the measles especially in terms of death. The same rules apply as the other diseases in terms or babies, people with band immune systems etc. 80,000 Americans died of the flu last flu season. But yeah, lets blow that off and lose our shit over 6 people dying from the measles in the last 10 years.
  • Options
    Doog_de_JourDoog_de_Jour Member Posts: 7,958
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    Soooooo...when do we get inoculated?

• Options
    edited January 2019

I’m amused by that.

Yes. Flu shots are a vaccine. The flu is more serious than the measles especially in terms of death. The same rules apply as the other diseases in terms or babies, people with band immune systems etc. 80,000 Americans died of the flu last flu season. But yeah, lets blow that off and lose our shit over 6 people dying from the measles in the last 10 years.
    I thought vaccines were like legit cures. Isn't a flu shot a half assed stab in the dark to maybe lower the chances

Thanks for enlightening me. I'm gonna rush over and get one now.

Just kidding. Die in a fire!
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,741
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    Sledog said:

I had my flu shot how 'bout you @creepycoug ? But then being a pretend attorney you're already a virus spreading misery.

Where did I say I was anti vax? I'm saying illegals who get to stroll in and are not checked for disease even if stopped by ICE are much more dangerous than anti vaxxers.

Where did I say that you were antivax? I said you had a one-track mind.

Keep up Lenny.
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,741
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic

I’m amused by that.

I got my flu shot.

• Options
    pawzpawz Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 18,778
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

Sledog said:

I had my flu shot how 'bout you @creepycoug ? But then being a pretend attorney you're already a virus spreading misery.

Where did I say I was anti vax? I'm saying illegals who get to stroll in and are not checked for disease even if stopped by ICE are much more dangerous than anti vaxxers.

Keep up Lenny.
    He's busy tending the rabbits.
  • Options
    SledogSledog Member Posts: 30,761
    pawz said:

Sledog said:

Keep up Lenny.
    He's busy tending the rabbits.
    Rabbits taste like chicken.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

I’m amused by that.

I got my flu shot.

#metoo

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

I’m amused by that.

I thought vaccines were like legit cures. Isn't a flu shot a half assed stab in the dark to maybe lower the chances

No. They aren’t half ass stabs in the dark. Like I said, people (like you) amuse me.
  • Options
    2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457

I’m amused by that.

I hope this is trolling.

If not you are a dumb motherfucker.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    edited January 2019

I’m amused by that.

No. They aren’t half ass stabs in the dark. Like I said, people (like you) amuse me.
    The CDC says flu vaccines reduce your risk of getting the flu by 40-60%:

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/qa/vaccineeffect.htm

So while not fool proof it has been life saving for certain populations (little kids, the elderly, and those with weakened immune systems).

I got the flu shot for the first time in about three years and - got the flu! But since I got the weakened version of the virus I was only out for a weekend instead of one to two weeks.
  • Options
    2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457

I’m amused by that.

The CDC says flu vaccines are about 40-60% effective:

So while not fool proof it has been life saving for certain populations (little kids, the elderly, and those with weakened immune systems).

I got the flu shot for the first time for about three years and - got the flu! But since I got the weakened version of the virus I was only out for a weekend instead of one to two weeks.
    Exactly. That and the fact that the flu doesn't spread like measles and such. We have essentially eradicated some diseases whereas the flu will not be eradicated unless we develop something different.
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    Standard Supporter

I’m amused by that.

I got the flu shot for the first time in about three years and - got the flu! But since I got the weakened version of the virus I was only out for a weekend instead of one to two weeks.
    Influenza mutates like a motherfucker. Vaccines are created based on annual forecasts of what 3-5 strains will be prevalent months in advance.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    2001400ex said:

I’m amused by that.

I got the flu shot for the first time for about three years and - got the flu! But since I got the weakened version of the virus I was only out for a weekend instead of one to two weeks.
    Exactly. That and the fact that the flu doesn't spread like measles and such. We have essentially eradicated some diseases whereas the flu will not be eradicated unless we develop something different.
    True, but I think @MikeDamone’s argument isn’t without merit. The flu can be dangerous for some individuals, so it’s an important public health tool.
  • Options
    I just don't think you can compare flu shots to vaccines. Aren't vaccines mandatory to go to school or do anything?

One is totally optional and works somewhat, one is a necessary part of life that you have to do unless you go way out of your way to come up with some goofy psuedo science excuse.

• Options
    Standard Supporter

I’m amused by that.

Influenza mutates like a motherfucker. Vaccines are created based on annual forecasts of what 3-5 strains will be prevalent months in advance.
    Exactly. We are lucky pharmaceutical companies develop vaccines here at all!
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

I’m amused by that.

So the vaccine did no harm. Could have helped.

Another one that amuses me is people who think they have the “flu” because the are puking and shitting. That’s not the flu. Lots of people like to think that. TWTLTT

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited January 2019

I just don't think you can compare flu shots to vaccines. Aren't vaccines mandatory to go to school or do anything?

One is totally optional and works somewhat, one is a necessary part of life that you have to do unless you go way out of your way to come up with some goofy psuedo science excuse.

Flu shots are vaccines. The point is the flu has a vaccine that varries in its effectiveness because the virus mutates every year. The shots are stil much better than nothing considering the seriousness of influenza. (80,000) deaths a year. Even if it’s not perfect, it extremely helpful. Yet people who say meh, to the flu shot lose their shit when people don’t get a measles shot. Which isn’t a killer in any significant way in the US.

Trying to justify not getting a flu shot is also pseudo science.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter

I’m amused by that.

So the vaccine did no harm. Could have helped.

Another one that amuses me is people who think they have the “flu” because the are puking and shitting. That’s not the flu. Lots of people like to think that. TWTLTT

I had a low fever, fatigue, and muscle aches, that was about it. Again, grateful I got the shot because it could’ve been worse.