Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Pete’s Don James moment

Comments

• Options
    backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,798
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    We are too conservative when we should be aggressive (at their 38 and we had 4th and about 4... we punted) and we are way way too aggressive when we shouldn’t (end of the half)
  • Options
    DoogCouricsDoogCourics Member Posts: 5,739
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

You guys are going to hate me but......................... Bush Hamden is good.

Do WR’s need to develop better? absolutely. Do we need to do a better job actively scheming Hunter Bryant & other playmakers into the offense? Yes. Was this Bush’s best game and are there things to harp on him for? Yes.

But I’m sorry. He’s not the problem. When you can’t have plays over ten yards, you’re not going to be very successful. Obviously there needs to be changes but Bush is way down on the list for me and I’ve crushed him a lot this year.

There's plenty of room on the Bush Hamden bandwagon.

It's basically just you and me.

Welcome aboard.

I've been about halfway on the wagon since September. I get frustrated with the calls, but there has always been something in the back of my mind that it's limitations that make Bush call dumb plays.

I also wonder how many RPO's were called with intent to run Gaskin but Browning held it and then threw it instead.

https://hardcorehusky.com/discussion/51310/we-know-our-offense-is-shit-but#latest
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,749
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    topdawgnc said:

Hopefully not just fluff, but it sounds like he gets the message.

That's better than what Richt said, which was essentially, "We've got the right plan, we just need to do it better."

Word is that the AD met with him and told him he had to fire his son and think about other offensive staff positions. He said, "I quit."

Say what you will about the Diaz hire, he had a vision for the defense and he made it happen. He also fired the entire offensive staff - every. last. one. - including Richt's son, w/in 24 hours of being hired.

But, that's the easy part for coaches who want to get better.
    Counter argument is that if Richt needed to fire his staff he should have been fired anyway

7-6 is what we had when we got Pete. There's a jump to 10 wins then a bigger jump to 12-15

Richt could manage to have a losing record in a season at Georgia.
    Agreed. In retrospect he was a good enough coach to put together decent seasons, no more, and occasionally do better than that. 10-2 made all of Cane nation bite. And as you know, I'm a sucker for a good recruiter, because you have to have that anyway.

But some guys just can't put it together, and in Richt's case, he seemed to have effectively retired to Miami when he took the job. Which explains why he punked out when it got hard. He didn't come to Miami for hard. He came to Miami to retire.

Which is why I'm leary of old guys at the HC spot. It's not a fun job. You need to be hungry. He was not. I'm skeptical about whether Davis part II would be hungry enough. He's old now too.
    I work with a lot of UGA alum.

It was always fun to listen to them support Richt.

He was the college version of Marty Schottenheimer. Good enough to give you hope, good enough to get right to the door ... but he couldn't kick it in.

He ran the script perfectly last year.
    Schottenheimer is a very good analogy.
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,749
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    ZoneUW said:

Hopefully not just fluff, but it sounds like he gets the message.

Coach speak. "I have a five point plan" yadda yadda yadda
    I actually think for a stubborn, and somewhat aloof, guy like Petersen, this is a fair amount of concession. The way he is is why I love his GIFs so much. He's always talking to someone who doesn't come close to understanding the game like he does, and you can tell it's very hard for him to maintain a polite image and respond respectfully. So for him to say, "yeah, we have work to do," is actually quite a lot.

Of course, none of this answers the question why they weren't pressuring Haskins earlier in the game. Washington was getting gouged in the running game, but the killers were when Haskins was able to sit back with little to no pressure and make those crazy throws. When he had to deal with pressure, his throws were off. He missed several open receivers on big plays in the second half just because he had to hurry his pass.
  • Options
    BaphometBaphomet Member Posts: 1,511
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    I've said it before we hired Bush, and I'll say it again now.

Bring in a guy like Jeff Horton from San Diego State to improve our running game and OL play. Since I doubt Pete will fire or demote Bush, then Make Jeff Horton the co-OC and make him responsible for the OL & running game.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Horton

His running attack has been studly at SDSU, and he has OL coaching experience in the NFL, which OL recruits like.

Last year when we lost to both Stanford and ASU, SDSU beat both of those teams, due to their running attack.
  • Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,274
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

You guys are going to hate me but......................... Bush Hamden is good.

Do WR’s need to develop better? absolutely. Do we need to do a better job actively scheming Hunter Bryant & other playmakers into the offense? Yes. Was this Bush’s best game and are there things to harp on him for? Yes.

But I’m sorry. He’s not the problem. When you can’t have plays over ten yards, you’re not going to be very successful. Obviously there needs to be changes but Bush is way down on the list for me and I’ve crushed him a lot this year.

There's plenty of room on the Bush Hamden bandwagon.

It's basically just you and me.

Welcome aboard.

I've been about halfway on the wagon since September. I get frustrated with the calls, but there has always been something in the back of my mind that it's limitations that make Bush call dumb plays.

I also wonder how many RPO's were called with intent to run Gaskin but Browning held it and then threw it instead.

https://hardcorehusky.com/discussion/51310/we-know-our-offense-is-shit-but#latest
    The post game press conference was pretty interesting. A reporter essentially asked why they didn’t run the ball in the first and why did they run it six straight times to start the second half. I’m paraphrasing but Pete essentially said in the first half they did a lot of RPO’s but they all ended up being passes (obligatory fuck you Jake). In the second they called designed runs, not RPOs and we all saw the results...

Browning was also super salty the whole post game presser which was entertaining. Biggest silver lining of all time never having to watch him play again.

If I'm a DC and I know UW runs a bunch of RPO's I'm having my backers and ends key on Gaskin all day. Let Jake try to win the game. Good luck!
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,978
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

Sorry but this is kind of ridiculous. DJ (ILTCHDJ) had his "moment" after he got boat raced by 22 by a 3 loss Alabama team, at the conclusion of the 5th consecutive season of not winning the conference (and yes one of those years he finished second in the country, the other 4 were mostly disappointing).

Pete just won the conference for the second time in 3 years and if he's ever lost a game by 22 at UW it hasn't happened in a long damn time.

DJ to his eternal credit (GO DAWGS!) realized he was never going to compete at the top level again without a massive overhaul. So massive in fact that UW was going to go just 21-13-1 over the next 3 years while he put the overhaul in place.

Pete's program doesn't need a complete overhaul. He needs to recruit better (which he's already been doing the past two years). He needs to shake his affinity for midget try hard noodle arm QBs - which 4 of the 5 QB's to enroll or commit to the program in the past 12 months suggest he has. He needs to evaluate his in game coaching, which he says he's going to but I'm skeptical.

Pete is adding passers and pass rushers the two biggest issues that have plagued this program the past 3 years. Last year's class combined with this one is damn near perfect.

We are not anywhere close to the point where we need to do a complete overhaul and lose 40% of our games the next three years. No DJ moment required here.

The extremely frustrating thing will be if the in game coaching keeps us from getting that final step, but most coaches are in game idiots and I just don't think it's going to hurt us as badly with the right pieces in place.

We'll see.

Except that James could beat better teams from day 1 and did. Right up to Oklahoma in the 84 Orange Bowl the year before he got boat raced by Bama

In 86 we blew out Ohio State while floundering in the Pac

Pete isn't beating good teams and has a hell of a lot easier schedule that we used to now that we don't play the LA schools that much and get a steady diet of Pac 12 dreck

Pete isn't working that's the point. We don't need to wait 15 years for him to figure it out

People really did want to fire James. Pete gets his cocked sucked all over campus for not being Urban Meyer or Nick Satan and winning our shitty little league and ALMOST winning our bowl games

He needs a fucking mirror now. He isn't getting fired nor should he but he needs to change.
    This is a good poast but I will add that DJ never beat a corch in the same league as Saban and Urbs until year 9 on the jerb. And he lost to The Bear and Pedo State along the way.
  • Options
    BaphometBaphomet Member Posts: 1,511
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

Sorry but this is kind of ridiculous. DJ (ILTCHDJ) had his "moment" after he got boat raced by 22 by a 3 loss Alabama team, at the conclusion of the 5th consecutive season of not winning the conference (and yes one of those years he finished second in the country, the other 4 were mostly disappointing).

Pete just won the conference for the second time in 3 years and if he's ever lost a game by 22 at UW it hasn't happened in a long damn time.

DJ to his eternal credit (GO DAWGS!) realized he was never going to compete at the top level again without a massive overhaul. So massive in fact that UW was going to go just 21-13-1 over the next 3 years while he put the overhaul in place.

Pete's program doesn't need a complete overhaul. He needs to recruit better (which he's already been doing the past two years). He needs to shake his affinity for midget try hard noodle arm QBs - which 4 of the 5 QB's to enroll or commit to the program in the past 12 months suggest he has. He needs to evaluate his in game coaching, which he says he's going to but I'm skeptical.

Pete is adding passers and pass rushers the two biggest issues that have plagued this program the past 3 years. Last year's class combined with this one is damn near perfect.

We are not anywhere close to the point where we need to do a complete overhaul and lose 40% of our games the next three years. No DJ moment required here.

The extremely frustrating thing will be if the in game coaching keeps us from getting that final step, but most coaches are in game idiots and I just don't think it's going to hurt us as badly with the right pieces in place.

We'll see.

Except that James could beat better teams from day 1 and did. Right up to Oklahoma in the 84 Orange Bowl the year before he got boat raced by Bama

In 86 we blew out Ohio State while floundering in the Pac

Pete isn't beating good teams and has a hell of a lot easier schedule that we used to now that we don't play the LA schools that much and get a steady diet of Pac 12 dreck

Pete isn't working that's the point. We don't need to wait 15 years for him to figure it out

People really did want to fire James. Pete gets his cocked sucked all over campus for not being Urban Meyer or Nick Satan and winning our shitty little league and ALMOST winning our bowl games

He needs a fucking mirror now. He isn't getting fired nor should he but he needs to change.
    This is a good poast but I will add that DJ never beat a corch in the same league as Saban and Urbs until year 9 on the jerb. And he lost to The Bear and Pedo State along the way.
    Lambo beat Saban.