Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Pete’s Don James moment

Comments

• Options
    sarktasticsarktastic Member Posts: 9,208
    5 Awesomes Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    So, just wait till we get Alabama talent and Hope they all want to play in crunch time when called on?
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,749
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic

Hopefully not just fluff, but it sounds like he gets the message.

That's better than what Richt said, which was essentially, "We've got the right plan, we just need to do it better."

Word is that the AD met with him and told him he had to fire his son and think about other offensive staff positions. He said, "I quit."

Say what you will about the Diaz hire, he had a vision for the defense and he made it happen. He also fired the entire offensive staff - every. last. one. - including Richt's son, w/in 24 hours of being hired.

But, that's the easy part for coaches who want to get better.
  • Options
    edited January 2019

Here is how Maryland hung 50 on Ohio State throwing 13 passes

Holy shit. I didn't realize that someone almost ran for 3 hundy against the Bucks. And two other guys averaged 5.0 ypc or better.

Was the OSU first unit D suspended for that game? Fucking Maryland?
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,506
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

That's better than what Richt said, which was essentially, "We've got the right plan, we just need to do it better."

Word is that the AD met with him and told him he had to fire his son and think about other offensive staff positions. He said, "I quit."

Say what you will about the Diaz hire, he had a vision for the defense and he made it happen. He also fired the entire offensive staff - every. last. one. - including Richt's son, w/in 24 hours of being hired.

Counter argument is that if Richt needed to fire his staff he should have been fired anyway

7-6 is what we had when we got Pete. There's a jump to 10 wins then a bigger jump to 12-15

Richt could manage to have a losing record in a season at Georgia.
  • Options

Counter argument is that if Richt needed to fire his staff he should have been fired anyway

7-6 is what we had when we got Pete. There's a jump to 10 wins then a bigger jump to 12-15

Agreed. In retrospect he was a good enough coach to put together decent seasons, no more, and occasionally do better than that. 10-2 made all of Cane nation bite. And as you know, I'm a sucker for a good recruiter, because you have to have that anyway.

But some guys just can't put it together, and in Richt's case, he seemed to have effectively retired to Miami when he took the job. Which explains why he punked out when it got hard. He didn't come to Miami for hard. He came to Miami to retire.

Which is why I'm leary of old guys at the HC spot. It's not a fun job. You need to be hungry. He was not. I'm skeptical about whether Davis part II would be hungry enough. He's old now too.
  • Options
    ApostleofGriefApostleofGrief Member Posts: 3,904
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    edited January 2019

Plenty has been said on here about James realizing he had to get with the times. It may be earlier in his Husky career, but this is Pete’s. Browning was recruited to run his old bullshit offense. That time is over and if we dont totally overhaul the offense this offseason the program is over.

This is the legendary DON JAMES ANALOGY. I've lobbied for this to stop! He is a statue, and not coming back in the form of somebody else! Jesus. Every coach except Neuheisel and Sark was supposed to be in the mold of DJ.
  • Options
    topdawgnctopdawgnc Member Posts: 7,838
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper

Agreed. In retrospect he was a good enough coach to put together decent seasons, no more, and occasionally do better than that. 10-2 made all of Cane nation bite. And as you know, I'm a sucker for a good recruiter, because you have to have that anyway.

But some guys just can't put it together, and in Richt's case, he seemed to have effectively retired to Miami when he took the job. Which explains why he punked out when it got hard. He didn't come to Miami for hard. He came to Miami to retire.

Which is why I'm leary of old guys at the HC spot. It's not a fun job. You need to be hungry. He was not. I'm skeptical about whether Davis part II would be hungry enough. He's old now too.
    I work with a lot of UGA alum.

It was always fun to listen to them support Richt.

He was the college version of Marty Schottenheimer. Good enough to give you hope, good enough to get right to the door ... but he couldn't kick it in.

He ran the script perfectly last year.
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes

Here is how Maryland hung 50 on Ohio State throwing 13 passes

Fuck, race you da man!!!
  • Options
    AEBAEB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,960
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    What I can’t tell is how many of the RPO’s called did Browning chose to throw vs run on his own? In the first series of the RB for example, we run off tackle for 6, then swing it to the flat on the second play and got stoned. Throughout the year, Pete seemed pissed about the decision making on the RPOs. Begs the question if they were frustrated, why didn’t they call fewer RPOs? IDK
  • Options
    ZoneUWZoneUW Member Posts: 794
    5 Fuck Offs First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

Coach speak. "I have a five point plan" yadda yadda yadda
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes

Sorry but this is kind of ridiculous. DJ (ILTCHDJ) had his "moment" after he got boat raced by 22 by a 3 loss Alabama team, at the conclusion of the 5th consecutive season of not winning the conference (and yes one of those years he finished second in the country, the other 4 were mostly disappointing).

Pete just won the conference for the second time in 3 years and if he's ever lost a game by 22 at UW it hasn't happened in a long damn time.

DJ to his eternal credit (GO DAWGS!) realized he was never going to compete at the top level again without a massive overhaul. So massive in fact that UW was going to go just 21-13-1 over the next 3 years while he put the overhaul in place.

Pete's program doesn't need a complete overhaul. He needs to recruit better (which he's already been doing the past two years). He needs to shake his affinity for midget try hard noodle arm QBs - which 4 of the 5 QB's to enroll or commit to the program in the past 12 months suggest he has. He needs to evaluate his in game coaching, which he says he's going to but I'm skeptical.

Pete is adding passers and pass rushers the two biggest issues that have plagued this program the past 3 years. Last year's class combined with this one is damn near perfect.

We are not anywhere close to the point where we need to do a complete overhaul and lose 40% of our games the next three years. No DJ moment required here.

The extremely frustrating thing will be if the in game coaching keeps us from getting that final step, but most coaches are in game idiots and I just don't think it's going to hurt us as badly with the right pieces in place.

We'll see.

He not charging his offense though
  • Options
    HillsboroDuckHillsboroDuck Member Posts: 9,186
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker

Sorry but this is kind of ridiculous. DJ (ILTCHDJ) had his "moment" after he got boat raced by 22 by a 3 loss Alabama team, at the conclusion of the 5th consecutive season of not winning the conference (and yes one of those years he finished second in the country, the other 4 were mostly disappointing).

Pete just won the conference for the second time in 3 years and if he's ever lost a game by 22 at UW it hasn't happened in a long damn time.

DJ to his eternal credit (GO DAWGS!) realized he was never going to compete at the top level again without a massive overhaul. So massive in fact that UW was going to go just 21-13-1 over the next 3 years while he put the overhaul in place.

Pete's program doesn't need a complete overhaul. He needs to recruit better (which he's already been doing the past two years). He needs to shake his affinity for midget try hard noodle arm QBs - which 4 of the 5 QB's to enroll or commit to the program in the past 12 months suggest he has. He needs to evaluate his in game coaching, which he says he's going to but I'm skeptical.

Pete is adding passers and pass rushers the two biggest issues that have plagued this program the past 3 years. Last year's class combined with this one is damn near perfect.

We are not anywhere close to the point where we need to do a complete overhaul and lose 40% of our games the next three years. No DJ moment required here.

The extremely frustrating thing will be if the in game coaching keeps us from getting that final step, but most coaches are in game idiots and I just don't think it's going to hurt us as badly with the right pieces in place.

We'll see.

He not charging his offense though
    No coach is perfect. My contention is that Pete with a real QB and a pass rush is good enough to beat anybody, even with this offense.

We'll see.